IGNORED

Bournemouth (Away) EFL Cup Tuesday 8th November

Btay

Watching the goals we conceded in this game makes me realize just how much progress we've made in our first team defence. What abysmal positioning from our defenders last night: It was embarrassing. There's simply no way we concede those goals with our regular defenders playing. Yes, Patterson was to blame for the fourth goal, but let's hope he learns from that mistake.

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Fuck off, it’s the League Cup, we’re never winning that. We could be two nil up in the final with 5 minutes to go and we’d still not finally get our hands on that trophy :lol:.

Liverpool did almost worse, coming within a whisker of losing at home to Derby. No Prem team takes this Mickey Mouse Cup seriously.

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Liverpool did almost worse, coming within a whisker of losing at home to Derby. No Prem team takes this Mickey Mouse Cup seriously.

I really do wonder what is going on in the heads of Evertonians like you ( as in share your opinion that the competition is worthless) at times?

If our trophy cabinet was bursting at the seams and we were winning titles and competing regularly in the Champions League then possibly I could understand you turning your nose up at this trophy. But the fact remains we are coming up to 28 years now without winning a fucking thing

What do you want from Everton?

We are not going to win the league again in my life time so why not take the cups seriously ?

Lampard sent a team out that are meant to be PL players, players that were last season mostly regulars in the team. Tactically it didn't work it was a disaster so the manager has to take responsibility that's the nature of management, your decision your fault and Lampard won't hide from that he will  have learnt from it, he will have learned that players who wanted to play who had an opportunity to say I am good enough aren't, and they let Everton themselves and their manager down. As much as I would love to win the only domestic trophy that isn't in our cabinet, I would rather forget that honour and concentrate on staying in the league, that has to and will always be the most important thing to this club. That loss I have to be honest never ruined my week I was disappointed at the manner in which we lost, but the loss against Leicester totally ruined my weekend, and my reason is that was an important league game that we needed to win, the Bournemouth game was a cup game that we didn't need to win. I think Lampard got it right not to play his first team and to concentrate on the Saturday league game as the must win game, we haven't played into their hands they will be facing a completely different Everton Saturday, one that will be stronger in defence and midfield and Bournemouth will have to be at the top of their game to score past us, my only concern is finishing our chances but that's been my only real concern with this team since the beginning of the season and nothing has changed. We go to Bournemouth on Saturday a different team a different mindset and we come back with 3 points, and Lampard will be the messiah once again for getting it right. 

19 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I really do wonder what is going on in the heads of Evertonians like you ( as in share your opinion that the competition is worthless) at times?

If our trophy cabinet was bursting at the seams and we were winning titles and competing regularly in the Champions League then possibly I could understand you turning your nose up at this trophy. But the fact remains we are coming up to 28 years now without winning a fucking thing

What do you want from Everton?

We are not going to win the league again in my life time so why not take the cups seriously ?

I realize my opinion on this Cup is unpopular, but just look at the data:

• Liverpool almost lose at home to Derby
  • Brentford lose at home to Gillingham
  • Arsenal lose at home to Brighton
  • Spurs lose to Forest
  • Southampton almost lose at home to Wednesday
  • West Ham lose at home to Blackburn

Why do Premier League teams increasingly steer clear of it? Because the prize money is less than a referee's annual salary whereas picking up just one position in the League is worth millions. Plus, it risks player injury and can lead to dropping points in meaningful games because of a squashed schedule.

My grandad had a display cabinet containing a bunch of medals from World War I. All were genuine bar one. That one exception was apparently sold by the Daily Mail. Heaven only knows why grandad thought it was worth buying because it devalued the genuine medals he received for real service and real heroism. This is what the League Cup is like: worth next to nothing and devaluing real trophies.

Yes, feel free to disagree, it's your right, but I stand by my opinion on this one.

15 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I realize my opinion on this Cup is unpopular, but just look at the data:

• Liverpool almost lose at home to Derby
  • Brentford lose at home to Gillingham
  • Arsenal lose at home to Brighton
  • Spurs lose to Forest
  • Southampton almost lose at home to Wednesday
  • West Ham lose at home to Blackburn

Why do Premier League teams increasingly steer clear of it? Because the prize money is less than a referee's annual salary whereas picking up just one position in the League is worth millions. Plus, it risks player injury and can lead to dropping points in meaningful games because of a squashed schedule.

My grandad had a display cabinet containing a bunch of medals from World War I. All were genuine bar one. That one exception was apparently sold by the Daily Mail. Heaven only knows why grandad thought it was worth buying because it devalued the genuine medals he received for real service and real heroism. This is what the League Cup is like: worth next to nothing and devaluing real trophies.

Yes, feel free to disagree, it's your right, but I stand by my opinion on this one.

I don’t think it is an unpopular opinion to be honest, there are quite a few who will agree with you, it’s just an alien concept to me

I want us to win every game we play, I couldn’t give a toss about the money I would much rather see us win football games and trophies 

I would gladly take the £100k for winning the Caraboa Cup over the £35M for finishing 5th in the Premier League

I can’t imagine waking up on a Saturday morning thinking I hope we make a few bob against these today

Even if you are only interested in making money then the Caraboa Cup gets you into the Europa League which in turn can get you into the Champions League and I think that’s a more realistic route to the riches that brings than finishing top 4 in the league

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I want us to win every game we play, I couldn’t give a toss about the money I would much rather see us win football games and trophies

In an ideal world, I would also like to see us win every game we play. Given the size of squad and questionable attitude/quality in its lower echelons, though, it's not realistic. If this is the case, then we should maximize our chances, both in the short-tern and long-term. The long-term, of course, requires solid financials, which is why the amount of money derived from each result must be taken into account.

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I would gladly take the £100k for winning the Caraboa Cup over the £35M for finishing 5th in the Premier League

The problem, though, is that we need the £35M to bring in the right players during transfer windows. If we have only £100k to play with, we're really going to struggle. Much as I'd prefer not to consider the grubby subject of money, only the rich clubs can succeed over the long haul. I wouldn't want to be a flash in the pan.

Most of the teams listed, are either in european football, or hoping to get in through their league position.

We are playing to stay up, and a good cup run would breed confidence, and help the league position.

Will never understand throwing away a cup game in the only competition we could win.

Maybe its an age thing, but it makes no sence to me, especialy whan they are now going to get 5 weeks rest.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

In an ideal world, I would also like to see us win every game we play. Given the size of squad and questionable attitude/quality in its lower echelons, though, it's not realistic. If this is the case, then we should maximize our chances, both in the short-tern and long-term. The long-term, of course, requires solid financials, which is why the amount of money derived from each result must be taken into account.

The problem, though, is that we need the £35M to bring in the right players during transfer windows. If we have only £100k to play with, we're really going to struggle. Much as I'd prefer not to consider the grubby subject of money, only the rich clubs can succeed over the long haul. I wouldn't want to be a flash in the pan.

Why would we only have £100k to play with?

Winning the cup and doing well in the league are not mutually exclusive, in fact history shows winning the league cup can be the launchpad for further success

I just think it’s a sad indictment for how the game has gone that some fans see success as what’s in a clubs bank statement rather than what’s in their trophy cabinet

The team we put out was more than good enough to win.  They performed pathetically and the existence of these players is pretty much the reason why the club is where it is…. We have players who wanted a chance to get involved but couldn’t be arsed. 

only the introduction of Coady, tarks, Patterson, has given us a flavour of the why the character of the team was so poor.  Holgate, Keane, Gordon….. I have severe doubts over their attitude.       Some like gray, maupay, mcneil need someone in the side to get them at it. 

for me the biggest disappointment was that players who should have been chomping at the bit to prove a point just looked half arsed. There is still a lot of surgery to do with this squad. 

23 hours ago, Tonsta said:

Most of the teams listed, are either in european football, or hoping to get in through their league position.

We are playing to stay up, and a good cup run would breed confidence, and help the league position.

Will never understand throwing away a cup game in the only competition we could win.

Maybe its an age thing, but it makes no sence to me, especialy whan they are now going to get 5 weeks rest.

I think these games are a good chance for some players who have been on the fringes to have a run out by bringing them into an otherwise relatively settled side. When you switch the entire 11 you are asking for trouble.