Sign in to follow this  
pnemad1983

Jack Rodwell

9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

He's never been a Chelsea player:huh:.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

He's there now isn'ttt he. ??

I think there are some Barkley and Rodwell wires crossed. Pretty sure Quinn thought Mike was talking about Barkley when he was actually talking about Rodwell.

10 minutes ago, MikeO said:

1 minute ago, Bill said:

He's there now isn'ttt he. ??

Ok move to Barkley's thread to avoid misunderstanding.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

I had moved on to Barkley - I now get you mean Rodwell, who yes, I doubt will ultimately end up as a Premier League player. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I will note, we should cease speaking about Barkley on the Rodwell thread immediately, because inevitably we'll end up talking about Lukaku 😅

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Good of us that, we could easily have told him to do one, glad we didn't and hope he gets his career back at some level. Josh said he failed a trial at Watford before he came back, not sure if that's true or internet talk.

He was defo at Watford on trail so that is likely true.

16 minutes ago, Matt said:

It is great to see us supporting our academy products who left or moved on. Training with us costs us nothing, and can only show us in a positive light. I wonder how many other clubs do the same...

Arsenal did it with Flamini who never had a club so they let him train with them to keep fit whilst he was looking for a club, then offered him a contact. 

So never say never stranger things have happened.  

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

Arsenal did it with Flamini who never had a club so they let him train with them to keep fit whilst he was looking for a club, then offered him a contact. 

So never say never stranger things have happened.  

True, but he wasn’t an academy graduate. We look after our own, and I love that 

nice of the club, but you can make something fool proof  nothing says it would be idiot proof though.  so I am not really happy with this idea.  unless he is a good as he was when he last played for us.

12 hours ago, nogs said:

We did same with Baxter, I like the way we look after our own, but there's charity and then there's stupidity. 

We’re not paying him Nogs- just letting him use the facilities. They took Baxter back on to stop him sliding into a life of drugs and crime which I applaud them for also- the lad kept his head down worked hard and got a move to Oldham which is probably the highest level he’ll ever acheive but I’m glad we gave him a chance and steered him on the right path again.

With regards to Rodwell, the deal suited everyone- he wanted a move and we got good money for him especially given his injury record. He was always respectful towards us and earned the club good money.

7 hours ago, Paddock said:

How come we have 2 Rodwell threads? I’ve just been awfully comfused wondering where my post went until it dawned on me we have 2. 🙈🙈

As the famous saying goes....

"Everyone deserves a second thread".

Or is it chance? Hmmmm.

21 hours ago, Paddock said:

We’re not paying him Nogs- just letting him use the facilities. They took Baxter back on to stop him sliding into a life of drugs and crime which I applaud them for also- the lad kept his head down worked hard and got a move to Oldham which is probably the highest level he’ll ever acheive but I’m glad we gave him a chance and steered him on the right path again.

With regards to Rodwell, the deal suited everyone- he wanted a move and we got good money for him especially given his injury record. He was always respectful towards us and earned the club good money.

Yeah I know all that. Was referring to the suggestions he could end up playing for us again. 

Jack Rodwell, Alex Buttner on trial with Revolution

A pair of former EPL players are reportedly on trial with Eastern Conference side New England Revolution.

According to the Boston Globe, Jack Rodwell and Alex Buttner were a part of Revs training this week. Both players are currently free agents and could be potential signings for the club in 2020 with the MLS roster freeze in effect.

High-profile trialists at @NERevolution training today: @JackRodwell & @AlexButtner_28 ex- #ManUnited & #ManchesterCity

— Frank Dell'Apa (@frankdellapa) September 18, 2019

The 28-year-old Rodwell most recently was with Blackburn Rovers of the EFL Championship, and has also played for Manchester City, Everton, and Sunderland. He has over 180 first-team appearances in England and has also won three caps for England.

Buttner, 30, made 13 appearances for Manchester United from 2012-14′ and last played with Vitesse Arnhem of his native Netherlands in 2017. He has also played for Dynamo Moscow and Anderlecht during his professional career, scoring 18 goals in 228 combined first-team outings.

The Revs are currently seeking a spot in the playoffs under Bruce Arena.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

3 England caps and deemed to be a star of the future, where the hell did he go wrong to end up scratching round for a club. Even Blackburn didn't want him ffs.

All the injuries didn't help.

On 19/09/2019 at 16:52, Bill said:

3 England caps and deemed to be a star of the future, where the hell did he go wrong to end up scratching round for a club. Even Blackburn didn't want him ffs.

He was absolutely gash when he was at Everton, people just saw him as a diamond because he came through the club's academy. I was absolutely made up when Manchester City took him off us, totally out of his depth playing top flight football - hence why he never made it there and couldn't get a look in at Sunderland nor Blackburn, despite the injuries.

He will only play a handful of games for Roma too (if any). They're having a crisis which is why he's being signed, they can only sign free agents as it's October/November now so Rodwell is the best of what will be a bad bunch. As soon as January comes around they'll sign an actual footballer if need be.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

He was absolutely gash when he was at Everton, people just saw him as a diamond because he came through the club's academy. I was absolutely made up when Manchester City took him off us, totally out of his depth playing top flight football - hence why he never made it there and couldn't get a look in at Sunderland nor Blackburn, despite the injuries.

He will only play a handful of games for Roma too (if any). They're having a crisis which is why he's being signed, they can only sign free agents as it's October/November now so Rodwell is the best of what will be a bad bunch. As soon as January comes around they'll sign an actual footballer if need be.

He had a real class to him. Moyes didn't play kids unless they were already good enough. Unfortunately Moyes ran him into the ground, just as he did Vaughan and Gosling. Fortunately Rooney and Coleman are naturally gifted fitness wise otherwise I'd imagine they'd have suffered too. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

He had a real class to him. Moyes didn't play kids unless they were already good enough. Unfortunately Moyes ran him into the ground, just as he did Vaughan and Gosling. Fortunately Rooney and Coleman are naturally gifted fitness wise otherwise I'd imagine they'd have suffered too. 

Agree apart from the Gosling shout, he was never going to be PL quality.

37 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Agree apart from the Gosling shout, he was never going to be PL quality.

I never really seen it myself with Gosling tbh but he's managed a bit part prem role after his injury so must be some talent in there. 

19 hours ago, Haiku said:

Is it official? I'm surprised that a club with such a high stature doesn't recognise better options within their reserve/youth setup?! Shocking!

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

We did it with Hitzlsperger, more common than u think

It happened more prominently with Anthony Gardner back in the Moyes era. He never really played for Tottenham due to injuries but was loaned by us as back-up due to the AFCON (if I remember correctly, although might have been due to injuries too). He never actually played for us but was just there if we needed him.

Whilst there are young kids in the academy, they're totally unproven at professional level so most managers would look to more experienced heads, regardless of what they have done in their career - I'd argue that until a player sets foot on a professional pitch they're always going to be inexperienced, but that's a completely different topic for another day - ask Ajax that question!

not to mention roma are dealing with massive expectations that they never meet, monchi is gone (that didn't go well), so they need a win now.  Rodwell is solid and if needed (likely not) he will be fine.  the italian league is not that high of a level (see out of shape lukaku destroying the league over there)

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

not to mention roma are dealing with massive expectations that they never meet, monchi is gone (that didn't go well), so they need a win now.  Rodwell is solid and if needed (likely not) he will be fine.  the italian league is not that high of a level (see out of shape lukaku destroying the league over there)

Second best league in the world for me. Ronaldo 'only' got 21 goals last season. His lowest tally since leaving the prem. 

7 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

It happened more prominently with Anthony Gardner back in the Moyes era. He never really played for Tottenham due to injuries but was loaned by us as back-up due to the AFCON (if I remember correctly, although might have been due to injuries too). He never actually played for us but was just there if we needed him.

Whilst there are young kids in the academy, they're totally unproven at professional level so most managers would look to more experienced heads, regardless of what they have done in their career - I'd argue that until a player sets foot on a professional pitch they're always going to be inexperienced, but that's a completely different topic for another day - ask Ajax that question!

We signed Gardner from Hull didn’t we? He was shit, if we’d needed him we’d have been even worse off than if we’d played with a one-legged pirate in the heart of our defence. 

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

EPL

La Liga

Tie for 3rd Bundesliga and Serie A

Ligue 1

Maybe on fifa. Bundersliga used to be second best not long ago but has hugely fallen behind. The likes of Brighton are poaching the best talents from mid table clubs and even ewcastle and West Ham raided their better strikers. 

La Liga is a joke, just look at how many failed players over here make a decent career there. No way would Messi get 30 goals a season here. Ronaldo only managed it once and he was on fire that season and only got half as many the next year whereas he consistently got 20+ a season for 9 years in Spain. 

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Maybe on fifa. Bundersliga used to be second best not long ago but has hugely fallen behind. The likes of Brighton are poaching the best talents from mid table clubs and even ewcastle and West Ham raided their better strikers. 

La Liga is a joke, just look at how many failed players over here make a decent career there. No way would Messi get 30 goals a season here. Ronaldo only managed it once and he was on fire that season and only got half as many the next year whereas he consistently got 20+ a season for 9 years in Spain. 

i don't play fifa or any video games.  i watch football.  you're right, the style of play is different in every league, but i prefer watching spanish and they do better in euro competitions (CL and europa).

7 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i don't play fifa or any video games.  i watch football.  you're right, the style of play is different in every league, but i prefer watching spanish and they do better in euro competitions (CL and europa).

Personally no idea how any one can enjoy Spanish football. It's dreadful, stop start and very little quality outside of the big 2 plus Atletico. 

Bottom half clubs in Spain roll over and get their bellies tickled. In Italy even the likes of SPAL are good enough to keep a clean sheet against the better sides. 

I personally find Spanish and Italian football boring although they are meant to be two of the best leagues in Europe behind the EPL, I personally would rather watch the Bunders  league and the SPL, and the French league is shite how they churn out so many good players is beyond me and their international team is very good like the Spainish and the Germans, but their domestic league is poor. 

13 hours ago, pete0 said:

Personally no idea how any one can enjoy Spanish football. It's dreadful, stop start and very little quality outside of the big 2 plus Atletico. 

Bottom half clubs in Spain roll over and get their bellies tickled. In Italy even the likes of SPAL are good enough to keep a clean sheet against the better sides. 

The big difference between the Spanish and Italian leagues is that the Spanish league is very attacking whereas the Italian league is a lot more defensive and tactical. 

Italian teams quite regularly outdo the quality of their players in the CL because of this IMO. They aren't a patch on the Spanish sides man for man but there is usually 1 team from each side at the semis. The difference would be Atletico who play very differently to the rest of the league.

I don't know if that really makes a difference to the quality of players in the EPL though. Italian defenders are used to lots of cover whereas Spanish defenders are more composed. Italian ball players have more time on the ball but less space to thread a pass. Spanish players have more space to move into but Italian forwards have more time to get a shot off. I think it just depends on the player themselves as plenty fail from both leagues.

7 hours ago, Palfy said:

I personally find Spanish and Italian football boring although they are meant to be two of the best leagues in Europe behind the EPL, I personally would rather watch the Bunders  league and the SPL, and the French league is shite how they churn out so many good players is beyond me and their international team is very good like the Spainish and the Germans, but their domestic league is poor. 

Bundersliga quality has dropped dramatically last couple of years, and say since bayern took Levendowski. Problem over there is bayern hoover up all the best players from their rivals so they keep a monopoly on the league, and then the other talent is bleeding out the league to English clubs. Just look at the stats Sancho is getting there yet he's possibly the poorest player in the England side. Lookman couldn't get minutes here but and smashed it against their bottom half teams.

Italian league has come on leaps and bounds. Inter are fun to watch and the other teams are resilient enough to put on a decent match. 

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The big difference between the Spanish and Italian leagues is that the Spanish league is very attacking whereas the Italian league is a lot more defensive and tactical. 

Italian teams quite regularly outdo the quality of their players in the CL because of this IMO. They aren't a patch on the Spanish sides man for man but there is usually 1 team from each side at the semis. The difference would be Atletico who play very differently to the rest of the league.

I don't know if that really makes a difference to the quality of players in the EPL though. Italian defenders are used to lots of cover whereas Spanish defenders are more composed. Italian ball players have more time on the ball but less space to thread a pass. Spanish players have more space to move into but Italian forwards have more time to get a shot off. I think it just depends on the player themselves as plenty fail from both leagues.

The bottom half teams in Spain can't even attack, they just make up the league. The space they leave and pace they play at is criminal. For me the championship over here is better to watch. 

Italian league they struggle to get time for the shot unless you mean from distance, which is annoying when your watching as if a teams frustrated as they can't get through they do tend to shoot from distance more which is a bit boring. Bundersliga is probably the worse for leaving space to run into our pick a pass. Crazy how dramatically the quality has dropped over there.