IGNORED

Martinez confirmed as new manager

I never expected a new hire overnight, but it's like we're not even close narrowing down the group of candidates. I think it's becoming more and more clear that Kenwright didn't imagine Moyes leaving as a legitimate scenario and is now scrambling.

Still think this is unfair on Bill. Moyes has more or less admitted he was going to stay and im sure all conversations between them both will have indicated that. Who expected Fergie to retire this season and who expected Moyes as the immediate replacement?

Still dont know enough about the Portuguese guy being touted to feel comfortable with the whole thing...

Bet Victor on Twitter :

@BetVictor: Everton are set to appoint Vitor Pereira as their new manager after agreeing terms. He's now 9/4 fav http://t.co/HCziIiCyif

It's still all speculation but interesting all the same!

Europe is very strange. If someone reported here that "The New York Yankees are set to appoint Person X as their new manager" then that would mean it was concrete, 100% legitimate. Odds implies there is doubt. Someone explain this to me.

I'm finding it very difficult to be optimistic about Martinez being manager.

15th, 16th, 16th, 17th place finishes.

Steve Bruce did better for fucks sake! I don't really care about him winning the FA cup either, Stoke got the final and only lost 1-0, would you want Pulis as manager? Moyes got us to the final/semis several times on much more difficult run-ins.

I look forward to getting the Honduran left-back as a replacement for Baines...

Malaga might be a more attractive option for Martinez - on the other hand if he comes to us he won't have to resettle his family probably. I know cock all about the new coach coming in, but I'm unnerved by the supposed 2 year contract the press say he's been offered - doesn't show much faith in him from his new employers...

Still think this is unfair on Bill. Moyes has more or less admitted he was going to stay and im sure all conversations between them both will have indicated that. Who expected Fergie to retire this season and who expected Moyes as the immediate replacement?

Still dont know enough about the Portuguese guy being touted to feel comfortable with the whole thing...

Are you serious Matt? BK has shown once again he out of his depth running the club imo, he should ALWAYS have at least had some idea of at least a name to replace Moyes. You never know what can happen with the manager, poor results, personal issues, picked by a bigger club, anything. Even Whelan said yesterday that if Martinez does go, he has some idea of who he would like to speak too. We seem to work on a day to day basis at GP it's an appalling way to do business imo.

I hope it is Pereira who comes. I tired to dig up as much as I could on the fella last night, looked in a little more detail at Porto's record with him and his pre Porto record. There is a decent write up in the Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/vtor-pereira-profile-find-out-1906179

lost 1 league game in three seasons. 1 season as assistant manager and 2 seasons as manager. Much of the good stuff done by AVB at Porto is partly credited to Pereira in a number of accounts I have read. AVB left and so did a few of the quality players at Porto.

Last season did well enough in the league stages of the champions league this season (missed top spot on goal difference only) - just knocked out to a 2-1 scoreline to Malaga in the knockout stage.

In 2012, they did poor in the group stages of the CL and where knocked out of the Europa cup by Man City (when they were is a really good vain of form last season). So although he's european record has been questioned, it's not like it's diabolical - winning the Europa cup as AVB did the season before is going to be tough to follow. A lot of quality players left at the end of August, so just at the CL

Whoever we get it is going to be a risk one way or the other, I just think somebody like Pereira may just get some of the current player as well as the fans a little more enthusiastic than than a Martinez or the other names that have been mentioned.

We may see some exciting young players come to the club, not just from Porto but from the Portugues leauge generally, some tidy Brazilians!!. What would Martinez bring he's been a long time out of Spain.

I think there would be a little more optomisum with this chap as the manger. He could turn out to be the next best thing,

Guest blueboy122

Can see this one dragging out.. Just like any other signing.

Appauling way to do business as has already been suggested. I like Bill but he needs to stop crying over Moyes and face the fact that we need to move on as a football club and get a new manager in ASAP so they can have pre season with the players along with putting plans together as to how this football club can move forward with what players etc.

I am usually the first to be critical of BK but I don't understand why people are bashing him over a lack of appointment thus far. This isn't a new tea boy or lawn mower for the pitch it is the man to lead us next season (and hopefully many more). I would much rather he takes time to be objective over their plus and minus points than rush into making an appointment to keep the "fans" happy.

He may have had to wait until the end of the season to speak to some of his targets so has had less than a week to pull all this together so maybe we should just give him a chance to sort it out

I am usually the first to be critical of BK but I don't understand why people are bashing him over a lack of appointment thus far. This isn't a new tea boy or lawn mower for the pitch it is the man to lead us next season (and hopefully many more). I would much rather he takes time to be objective over their plus and minus points than rush into making an appointment to keep the "fans" happy.

He may have had to wait until the end of the season to speak to some of his targets so has had less than a week to pull all this together so maybe we should just give him a chance to sort it out

We can't be too slow mate. Aside from our own vacancy, there is also one at Stoke, and by all accounts in the coming few weeks Newcastle and Fulham as well. Martinez has already been linked with us and Stoke, and if the Newcastle job does come up, i imagine the names we are being linked with will be on their shortlist too. Basically we don't want to miss out on our man.

Guest blueboy122

He should have business models in place etc for this type of eventuality. What can take so long though?

Man Utd did not dither when appointing Moyes they knew Ferguson was close to retirement so will have had people in place to take care of business when choosing a new manger etc.

For example we should be considering Felliani replacements and even Baines replacements as its possible they could both leave if they dont great but if they do we need to be prepared.

PROACTIVE NOT REACTIVE.

Like I said, I didn't expect an appointment by now. But reading the tea leaves it's blatantly obvious that our board is scrambling to find someone. At this point it should be narrowed down to 2-3 names. Instead, there are 10+ guys who could get the job and it wouldn't be surprising. If Kenwright was doing even preliminary searching in the middle of April then that wouldn't be the case. He took Moyes' loyalty for so long for granted and didn't have a Plan B.

Lets say Martinez is the target - BK couldn't have spoken to him until Sunday night or Monday morning earliest so basically 3-4 days ago.

How can you have a plan in place for what has happened? Managers stocks rise and fall dependent upon results - what if BK had Paolo DI canio in mind to replace DM and Sunderland took him. With so many potential variables any plan is likely to be subject to change

I just say give him sometime and when he appoints someone we can either celebrate of commiserate

Are you serious Matt? BK has shown once again he out of his depth running the club imo, he should ALWAYS have at least had some idea of at least a name to replace Moyes. You never know what can happen with the manager, poor results, personal issues, picked by a bigger club, anything. Even Whelan said yesterday that if Martinez does go, he has some idea of who he would like to speak too. We seem to work on a day to day basis at GP it's an appalling way to do business imo.

yup. Mostly as its finger pointing again but also because he trusted someone to commit, id imagine based on conversations held which we are not privvy to, who has now left for new pastures. Noone really knows whats happening behind the scenes.

Lets say Martinez is the target - BK couldn't have spoken to him until Sunday night or Monday morning earliest so basically 3-4 days ago.

How can you have a plan in place for what has happened? Managers stocks rise and fall dependent upon results - what if BK had Paolo DI canio in mind to replace DM and Sunderland took him. With so many potential variables any plan is likely to be subject to change

I just say give him sometime and when he appoints someone we can either celebrate of commiserate

spot on.

Manchester United had a plan to replace arguably the greatest manager in history and followed through with it. I don't expect things to go as smoothly for us, but there should be some sort of direction. Right now it does not appear that there is any direction to what we are doing. Our board should have been planning for Moyes' departure - regardless of whether it was going to happen or not - in late March-to-April. Not a week after the end of the season. How could they prepare for this? Moyes was at the end of his contract, was rumored to go to a handful of teams including Man U, and refused to commit his future to Everton in the press. If his departure caught them by surprise then shame on them.

Edited by thoward18

yup. Mostly as its finger pointing again but also because he trusted someone to commit, id imagine based on conversations held which we are not privvy to, who has now left for new pastures. Noone really knows whats happening behind the scenes.

spot on.

No we don't, but football is a risky business and you have to have plans in place when certain situations arise, surely it's common sense. a dangerous game to play otherwise imo.

Manchester United had a plan to replace arguably the greatest manager in history and followed through with it. I don't expect things to go as smoothly for us, but there should be some sort of direction. Right now it does not appear that there is any direction to what we are doing. Our board should have been planning for Moyes' departure - regardless of whether it was going to happen or not - in late March-to-April. Not a week after the end of the season. How could they prepare for this? Moyes was at the end of his contract, was rumored to go to a handful of teams including Man U, and refused to commit his future to Everton in the press. If his departure caught them by surprise then shame on them.

How do you know there isn't a direction? We have apparently interviewed people for the role which suggests things are moving along. If we get to July and there is nobody in the role we would be well within our rights to have the hump about it. As far as I can see there isn't a wealth of talent sitting idly around so any new manager is most likely managing somewhere which is an added complication not just time wise but financially - the plus side though is we probably arent getting Hughes or O'Neill given they are unattached and could have been appointed in days

How do you know there isn't a direction? We have apparently interviewed people for the role which suggests things are moving along. If we get to July and there is nobody in the role we would be well within our rights to have the hump about it. As far as I can see there isn't a wealth of talent sitting idly around so any new manager is most likely managing somewhere which is an added complication not just time wise but financially - the plus side though is we probably arent getting Hughes or O'Neill given they are unattached and could have been appointed in days

Like I said, we can't know for sure, but we can read the tea leaves. There were plenty of Everton and English sources that knew that Neville and Moyes' departure was imminent prior to the actual announcements. You would think we'd have similar information coming in if we were anywhere close to a move. Man U wasn't being legitimately linked to 10 different managers, because legitimate sources knew it was done to Moyes, Mourinho, and maybe a couple other guys. For us... it's basically roulette.

As someone else said, obviously you don't want to rush into a decision, but we can't take our time, either. Fellaini and Baines are going to take whom the manager is into account when deciding whether to stay or go. It's important to have someone in so we can figure out the gameplan for July as far as transfers go not only with those guys but with potential targets for ourselves. And since things happen quickly in July we don't want to be scrambling in the last week to figure out whom we want and how to go about getting them.

What if Vitor Pereira is, in theory, the guy whom Kenwright would have chosen, but didn't get a chance to because some other team, EPL or otherwise, started their managerial search earlier and could offer him a contract while we're still farting around gathering resumés? We knew that Moyes leaving was a real possibility in March. There's no reason we should be starting the search in mid-May.

Totally agree, its just the usual we want, we want ,we want , now! now! now!

Nobody has got a clue what is happening behind the scenes, what if the rumours of Pereira signing a pre contract are true or if its even true that they spoke to him in April?

I wanted it sorted as quickly as possible but Moyes hasnt even officially left yet so to start the BK bashing already is a bit ridiculous

Totally agree, its just the usual we want, we want ,we want , now! now! now!

Nobody has got a clue what is happening behind the scenes, what if the rumours of Pereira signing a pre contract are true or if its even true that they spoke to him in April?

I wanted it sorted as quickly as possible but Moyes hasnt even officially left yet so to start the BK bashing already is a bit ridiculous

that wouldn't help bk bashers though! the negative press is the only true word!

It's been two weeks now and we're no closer to getting a new manager in, the turnaround last time was three days.

Despite not having a manager, there are reports that Osman has agreed a two year extension. Meanwhile David Moyes was working with Ed Woodward at Man Utd on Monday to discuss extending Rio Ferdinand's contract.

I think Everton are slow to react, I also think it comes down to not wanting to pay two managers at once. If the club can put off signing players until late in the window to save on wages I suspect it'll be the same for a manager?