duncanmckenzieismagic

Weirdness Abounds (or the Idrissa Gana Gueye Thread)

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

The team that finished 5th was roughly:

Howard 

Coleman Jagielka Distin Baines 

Naismith/Deloufeu Barry McCarthy Mirallas 

Barkley 

Lukaku 

Since then the keeper and three of the back four have been upgraded as have the two wingers yet defensively we give away a lot more in midfield, we lack control and gift chances like never before. The only positions left to look are the two in central midfield and there's only been one constant player in our now poorer performing team. Gana. 

Tactics. Change of managers. Evolution of the game. Improvement in competition in the league. Lack of confidence in the team...

Seriously dude, seriously... 

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Tactics. Change of managers. Evolution of the game. Improvement in competition in the league. Lack of confidence in the team...

Tactics/managers? We've gone through three of them yet all with the same problem. Before Gana both Moyes and Martinez never had this issue and as go as far to say the only team in recent memory that did was the Aston Villa team that got relegated (at the time I thought it was the other lad in the middle for them that was their issue, sadly I was very wrong). 

Evolution of the game etc.? No other team in the league gets cut up through the middle as easy and often as us, the quality of chances we gift the opposition is criminal at this level and for three seasons now we have been the only team making it so easy through the middle. 

8 hours ago, MikeO said:

You utilise the players you have that are up to the job and invest where needed. In my opinion Gana is up to the job he does.

But just having one string to your bow isn'tt good enough and that's snapped lately, and the players we utilise aren't working Schniederlin Davies we've seen that, he's a poor footballer and tactically inept and since he joined this club we have gone backwards, we need to get rid of him and Schniederlin and buy a player like Neves we keep serving up the poor midfield performances because what we have isn'tt working, we've changed the managers the players around him and it's still shit and you tell me to open my eyes get real Mike surly your not that to blinkered to see he is the common denominator, then you bring well the 3 games he was out we lost 2 and drew 1, I said it then and I'll say it again he dodged a bullet against City and Spurs 100% 

36 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Tactics/managers? We've gone through three of them yet all with the same problem. Before Gana both Moyes and Martinez never had this issue and as go as far to say the only team in recent memory that did was the Aston Villa team that got relegated (at the time I thought it was the other lad in the middle for them that was their issue, sadly I was very wrong). 

Evolution of the game etc.? No other team in the league gets cut up through the middle as easy and often as us, the quality of chances we gift the opposition is criminal at this level and for three seasons now we have been the only team making it so easy through the middle. 

And Gana is always one of the first names on the teamsheet. Even by the slob who you thought should be given more time and is the most anti-football, defensive minded manager around.

10 hours ago, MikeO said:

So Gana would be replaceable by spending £50m against the £7m we invested in him. OK.

Who knows?  Prices are becoming ever more stupid IMO,  £50m for a player who's had half a season in the PL, must make Jonjoe worth £30m 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

And Gana is always one of the first names on the teamsheet. Even by the slob who you thought should be given more time and is the most anti-football, defensive minded manager around.

The one who was gonna replace him. Even Silva has made no secret of wanting someone else. 

We've had three managers and there's one constant problem. If it's not Gana then what is the issue? 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Yes he is and there lies the problem pal like I say common denominator everything else is changing bar him and were still got one of the worst midfields in the league he is the best of a bad bunch with him we won't improve the last few years have shown us that. To be honest with him in the team I find it hard to see how we can call it a midfield minefield would be a better description.

And something else you got wrong pal I've never condoned that fat slob as you call him be given more time I wanted him gone.

3 minutes ago, pete0 said:

The one who was gonna replace him. Even Silva has made no secret of wanting someone else. 

We've had three managers and there's one constant problem. If it's not Gana then what is the issue? 

Oh come on Pete, the amount of dross that's come through the club since Moshiri came in and you're about to blame the whole shitshow on one of our actual brightest sparks from this era?! 

Gana may be a problem, not for me but certainly for others on this forum, but gana is by far not the sole reason for our problems. Play fair.

2 minutes ago, Palfy said:

And something else you got wrong pal I've never condoned that fat slob as you call him be given more time I wanted him gone.

That was to me Palfy. Still maintain we should've kept him a season longer. He would have given us a little stability and solid foundations for a better manager to build on the following year. Silva has come in and got Digne, Zouma, Richarlison, Bernard and Gomes yet is averaging no more points per game than Alladyce. People said fat Sam was only doing better than Koeman as he had Baines and Coleman, that same Coleman that most agree is a weak spot in the side and we've massively upgraded on a now leggy Baines. Crazy that the old manager is critised and forced out after 6 months with someone else's squad, yet the new manager with a much improved squad gets a free pass. 

13 minutes ago, pete0 said:

That was to me Palfy. Still maintain we should've kept him a season longer. He would have given us a little stability and solid foundations for a better manager to build on the following year. Silva has come in and got Digne, Zouma, Richarlison, Bernard and Gomes yet is averaging no more points per game than Alladyce. People said fat Sam was only doing better than Koeman as he had Baines and Coleman, that same Coleman that most agree is a weak spot in the side and we've massively upgraded on a now leggy Baines. Crazy that the old manager is critised and forced out after 6 months with someone else's squad, yet the new manager with a much improved squad gets a free pass. 

I'll get back to you later mate on that. About to go into a board meeting.

16 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Oh come on Pete, the amount of dross that's come through the club since Moshiri came in and you're about to blame the whole shitshow on one of our actual brightest sparks from this era?! 

Gana may be a problem, not for me but certainly for others on this forum, but gana is by far not the sole reason for our problems. Play fair.

If it's not Gana then who/what is it? 

There's a hole in midfield that helps gift the opposition a clear opportunity every game. No other team has that problem, and it's hard to argue that it's not Gana being out of position causing it. His positioning is nonexistent. 

Tempo on midfield is also drab thanks to his lack of vision or quality in his passing. There's no zip to them, countless times he can't even get a simple pass across to Coleman right. Coleman is a right back, school boy stuff is to put it in front of him weighted so that he can take it on his right boot running forward yet Gana struggles with the pass either hitting it to feet or making the ball bobble or another frustrating one of late passing it in the air unnecessarily, any how point being all three impact the tempo and make it harder for an already struggling Coleman. 

Both these issues are the basics of positioning and passing without them you shouldn't be a footballer nevermind play on the position that relies in them most. 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

Yes he is and there lies the problem pal like I say common denominator everything else is changing bar him and were still got one of the worst midfields in the league he is the best of a bad bunch with him we won't improve the last few years have shown us that. To be honest with him in the team I find it hard to see how we can call it a midfield minefield would be a better description.

Baines, Jags, Coleman we’re also ever (more or less) presents over the seasons that Gana has been here. So there is no common denominator that you speak of. 

Pete answered about the slob already

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Baines, Jags, Coleman we’re also ever (more or less) presents over the seasons that Gana has been here. So there is no common denominator that you speak of. 

Pete answered about the slob already

Yes to a small degree but they weren't involved with our midfield the 3 of them suffered because they had no protection from the midfield.

I can’t be the only one thinking that when Gana is supposedly out of position, chasing the ball down all over the pitch, that he is following instructions to try to win the ball back high up the pitch? Following his managers tactics, doing the job he has been given, and not just leaving a space behind him for no reason at all?

32 minutes ago, StevO said:

I can’t be the only one thinking that when Gana is supposedly out of position, chasing the ball down all over the pitch, that he is following instructions to try to win the ball back high up the pitch? Following his managers tactics, doing the job he has been given, and not just leaving a space behind him for no reason at all?

Half and half. For me its not so much up the field, its when he pulls wide to double team. Pressing forward when the team are in shape is fine but pressing wide and trying to double team a player means there is someone free and its usually through the middle.

You just have to weigh up whether winning the ball back is a greater risk than leaving someone else free. Im not sure Gana does weigh that decision up but I think managers do. 

4 hours ago, pete0 said:

That was to you I'll have to apologise to Matt and book myself into to Spec Savers.

Anyway going back to Allardyce I know what your getting at but some of the football we were playing was dreadful 10 men behind the ball and no good possession when we had the ball was doing me in, also he was playing to Gana's strengths which is why people think he's good because he was given more opportunities of trying to win the ball back that he couldn't fail to make his stats in that department look good, where as Silva doesn't want to camp in his own half he wants to play a more attacking expansive football which I like but doesn't suit Gana because he doesn't posses the skill set to play possession football he's becoming obsolete to our needs, we do need a ball winner but because we are keeping possession better we need a ball winner who has a lot more to offer so we can improve.

But we don't want an Allardyce he did what he was brought into do got his money and went, even though I don't think we needed him in the first place but Moshiri went for belt and braces to make sure we stayed up so I'm not going to knock him for that.

2 minutes ago, StevO said:

I hope not when you play with to wide men and an out and out attacking midfielder with your full backs pushing forward you can't have one of your to midfielders rampaging all over the field on a fools errand, your asking Gomes to cover to much ground and you can see how much it's effecting his game the poor guy is burning out and people think he's going off the boil, when what he needs is another midfielder who understands when to stay or go and can close the space down.

1 hour ago, StevO said:

exactly, if he was a headless chicken the manager would pull him fast, but he hasn't or the previous ones haven't.  he's played when fit.  don't worry though Ste, the naysayers will promote their conspiracy and tell you how man never landed on the moon and how gana is shit.

18 hours ago, Palfy said:

If supermarkets sold players and you was the manager we'd be going to Aldi when the top clubs would be going to Waitrose

Well. They do have some really nice toilet paper in Aldi... :lol:

10 hours ago, pete0 said:

Your properly just making shit up now!

25 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

That's all just paper talk no approach been made I've always feared it would be, but the most interesting thing was the comments to the story from the Everton supporters all said take the money, and one commented he's just a runner anyway.

Could it be journalists and most of the people on here are completely swayed by meaningless stats rather than an eye for a player, PeteO Seve and myself aren't on our own with our views as most of you keep suggesting we are, I think I will have to do some more research into this on other forums to see how the fans are split.

9 hours ago, pete0 said:

Really????

How about 

Schniederlin

Walcott 

Coleman

Davies

Tosun

Niasse 

I could go on but you’ve got you’re head is up your arse on this so it’s pretty pointless 

He was the first name on the team sheet for the past 3 managers and Tuchel , one of the best managers in the world, wants him at PSG. The Villa fans loved him, the vast majority of blues rate him and the stats all stack up in his favour

But you think he’s the worst player to ever pull on an Everton shirt, it’s laughable really

2 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Really????

How about 

Schniederlin

Walcott 

Coleman

Davies

Tosun

Niasse 

I could go on but you’ve got you’re head is up your arse on this so it’s pretty pointless 

He was the first name on the team sheet for the past 3 managers and Tuchel , one of the best managers in the world, wants him at PSG. The Villa fans loved him, the vast majority of blues rate him and the stats all stack up in his favour

But you think he’s the worst player to ever pull on an Everton shirt, it’s laughable really

He doesn't want him it's paper talk there has been no contact between the club's why would he want a middle distance runner, but I'd be over the moon if it was true.

6 minutes ago, Palfy said:

That's all just paper talk no approach been made I've always feared it would be, but the most interesting thing was the comments to the story from the Everton supporters all said take the money, and one commented he's just a runner anyway.

Could it be journalists and most of the people on here are completely swayed by meaningless stats rather than an eye for a player, PeteO Seve and myself aren't on our own with our views as most of you keep suggesting we are, I think I will have to do some more research into this on other forums to see how the fans are split.

Not a chance , people are saying take the money because £40M is a great deal for a 29 year old, not because he is shit

So I still reckon the journalists, ex-players, team mates, managers, pundits and the vast majority of Everonians are right and you 3 are wrong 

7 minutes ago, Palfy said:

He doesn't want him it's paper talk there has been no contact between the club's why would he want a middle distance runner, but I'd be over the moon if it was true.

Ha ha ha really, is that why he has his players all talking up a deal?

You don’t want to believe that a top manager at a top club wants him because it doesn’t fit in with your vendetta. It’s funny that you are willing to believe the papers that no contact has been made but so quick to disbelieve those same papers that there is interest🤷🏻‍♂️

No idea why he would want a middle distance runner, but a good footballer who is one of the best in the Premiership at what he does I can understand 

4 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Ha ha ha really, is that why he has his players all talking up a deal?

You don’t want to believe that a top manager at a top club wants him because it doesn’t fit in with your vendetta. It’s funny that you are willing to believe the papers that no contact has been made but so quick to disbelieve those same papers that there is interest 🤷🏻‍♂️

Why would I have a vendetta against someone that what ever happens would make not a jot of difference to me personally? what I have is a view that he's not a good footballer trust me he's done nothing to me that would make me have a vendetta against him.

But on the issue of him leaving once again I hope the story is true but until we see something official it's just paper talk, so don't go believing everything you read in the papers people who did that voted Brexit.