Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

2018-19 FA Cup

Recommended Posts

One of the only away days I've been Millwall. Was fecking cold and boring. Had far too many police escorting the Everton fans and if anything it was the police trying to coerse the fans to kick up some trouble, wouldn't take us the pub even though they did for 'Boro the game before. So just had everyone waiting to get in the ground for hours, they had tried to get Millwall not to put beer on as well only for the Everton fans to kick up a stink and end up with shitty beer which I guess is better than none at all. Millwall fans spent more time throwing insults than watching the game but Everton fans gave as good as they got and it was never too heated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think they need to let go of the 80s, so weird that they live in one of the most advanced cities in the world yet have a small little bunch of idiots who think stabbing people at the match makes them cool. Pricks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

What part of London is milwall?  Working class?  Rich or poor?  Just wondering if that has to do anything with it either.

Bit of both, in parts it depends what side of the road you walk down. If you are on the Thames side of the road it’s all nice apartments, on the other side of the road are council houses, until you get further away and get near Canary Whatf it’s very very rich. 

Worth bearing in mind, most of the residents won’t be local. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

What part of London is milwall?  Working class?  Rich or poor?  Just wondering if that has to do anything with it either.

Very little left of "poor" London nowadays, average property prices in Millwall are £500k+, like Ste said there are still a few council houses/terraced housing to be found but it's gradually being swallowed up by regeneration projects. Millwall FC, however, don't play in Millwall and haven't for more than a century. Millwall is north of the Thames and the club play south of it in Bermondsey (still a very expensive area); that'd normally be a huge thing because the north/south division of London has always been a personal pride thing, as has being an East Londoner just to complicate matters.

I think that as you go east the north/south divide becomes less important (strangely because the river gets wider) and you become an eastender (West Ham, Orient, Charlton along with Millwall) whereas north has Arsenal and Spurs and south has Chelsea, Palace, Fulham and QPR. I've probably left loads out.

Strangely west London, which has stretched to where I was born by eating Middlesex, has no "pride of place" or football club identifying with the area that I can think of. Probably because it's always been affluent so we all know we're better than those that come from the old slumsB).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MikeO said:

... and south has Chelsea, Palace, Fulham and QPR. I've probably left loads out.

Are all those considered south clubs? (asking as an american)  Would have thought QPR would be west?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MikeO said:

Very little left of "poor" London nowadays, average property prices in Millwall are £500k+, like Ste said there are still a few council houses/terraced housing to be found but it's gradually being swallowed up by regeneration projects. Millwall FC, however, don't play in Millwall and haven't for more than a century. Millwall is north of the Thames and the club play south of it in Bermondsey (still a very expensive area); that'd normally be a huge thing because the north/south division of London has always been a personal pride thing, as has being an East Londoner just to complicate matters.

I think that as you go east the north/south divide becomes less important (strangely because the river gets wider) and you become an eastender (West Ham, Orient, Charlton along with Millwall) whereas north has Arsenal and Spurs and south has Chelsea, Palace, Fulham and QPR. I've probably left loads out.

Strangely west London, which has stretched to where I was born by eating Middlesex, has no "pride of place" or football club identifying with the area that I can think of. Probably because it's always been affluent so we all know we're better than those that come from the old slumsB). 

Try telling that to Brentford supporters :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, plaidharper said:

Are all those considered south clubs? (asking as an american)  Would have thought QPR would be west?

They are indeed to the west of the metropolitan region but the west really has no real defining identity or loyalty for some reason in comparison to the north, south and east. The "West End" of London is largely defined by the relatively small area where all the big theatres are (like Broadway) and a lot of the big touristy places; it's all north of the river as well but "north-west end" doesn't sound so exciting. South of the river on the west side are places like Battersea which used to be poor but is now highly desirable, then further out you get to places like Clapham, Putney and Wimbledon where it's always been "exclusive" (in my lifetime at least) but they don't identify as west Londoners. Complicating things but in the same region there are places like Tooting and Balham which are/were historically working class.

There's no rhyme or reason for it, Chelsea and Fulham are both actually north of the Thames but would never call themselves north London clubs. I blame the pesky Thames for winding so much, it gets the natives all confused:D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Try telling that to Brentford supporters :rolleyes:

But would they actually call themselves/identify as West Londoners? I don't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eldest son lives a stone's throw from Griffin Park and although a Red nose, has a season ticket there. They refer to being in West London and I think the same goes for QPR and maybe Fulham. Being one of the 'big boys' Chelsea are a London club I'd say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Eldest son lives a stone's throw from Griffin Park and although a Red nose, has a season ticket there. They refer to being in West London and I think the same goes for QPR and maybe Fulham. Being one of the 'big boys' Chelsea are a London club I'd say.

Fair enough, I'm long gone from the smoke so just calling it as I remember. Went to Griffin Park once to see them play Aldershot many moons ago, no idea why. Reminds me I also saw Spurs at Aldershot in a pre-season friendly; it was horrible, about a dozen or so Spurs fans got into the home standing and on a signal all started lashing out. Aldershot fans were all families/kids, worst scenes I've ever seen at a game probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaron said:

We've only been given 2,200 tickets as well which is a disgrace.

We're being penalised because they're a bunch of throwbacks? Pathetic.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Millwall is NOT East London, we are South East London, (as are Charlton) a  huge difference. Brentford, Fulham, QPR & Chelsea would describe themselves as West London. 

2,200 is standard allocation for away fans. You're housed in your own 2 tiered stand and you'll only get the upper tier. Very rarely are teams allocated the lower tier, even if their is demand. It's to stop fans clashing on the pitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Millwall FC said:

Millwall is NOT East London, we are South East London, (as are Charlton) a  huge difference. Brentford, Fulham, QPR & Chelsea would describe themselves as West London. 

2,200 is standard allocation for away fans. You're housed in your own 2 tiered stand and you'll only get the upper tier. Very rarely are teams allocated the lower tier, even if their is demand. It's to stop fans clashing on the pitch

Fair enough, I was only going by my own perceptions so I bow to your local knowledge.

2,200 might be standard allocation but in the FA Cup away teams are usually entitles to 15% of seats, we always adhere to that hence Lincoln had 5/6000 at Goodison in the third round.  "It's to stop fans clashing on the pitch" but that doesn't stop it happening anywhere else as far as I know, why should our fans be penalised for your fans reputation? If changes need to be made due to police and security worries because of Millwall fans rep then penalising Millwall surely makes more sense, reduce your allocation and give us our dues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Fair enough, I was only going by my own perceptions so I bow to your local knowledge.

2,200 might be standard allocation but in the FA Cup away teams are usually entitles to 15% of seats, we always adhere to that hence Lincoln had 5/6000 at Goodison in the third round.  "It's to stop fans clashing on the pitch" but that doesn't stop it happening anywhere else as far as I know, why should our fans be penalised for your fans reputation? If changes need to be made due to police and security worries because of Millwall fans rep then penalising Millwall surely makes more sense, reduce your allocation and give us our dues

Works both ways, we rarely get our full allocation for Cup games, especially against "bigger" teams.  West Ham in the League Cup in 2009 we should have been given up to 12,000 - our allocation was 1,500

100% nailed on you wouldn't have given us 6,000 had it been at your place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Millwall FC said:

Works both ways, we rarely get our full allocation for Cup games, especially against "bigger" teams.  West Ham in the League Cup in 2009 we should have been given up to 12,000 - our allocation was 1,500

100% nailed on you wouldn't have given us 6,000 had it been at your place. 

You may be right but in all cases the reason for that would be the behaviour of proportion of your fans; not saying all by any means and you've come on here and been perfectly polite but any sanctions against you over the years have been self inflicted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Millwall FC said:

We did, but moved over 100 years ago. You'll not find a single Millwall fan that would ever describe us as East London

That's curious because we were in a sort of similar situation a few years back and a lot of fans kicked off about us moving to Kirkby (which is outside of Liverpool), plus the fact that we've never actually played in Everton. Like Gwlad said above Millwall as an area is definitely East End but you identify as south west, does that mean you have no allegiance to Millwall as a place? If you win things where does the open top bus parade go?

Not taking the piss at all here I'm just interested because it's stuff I didn't know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MikeO said:

That's curious because we were in a sort of similar situation a few years back and a lot of fans kicked off about us moving to Kirkby (which is outside of Liverpool), plus the fact that we've never actually played in Everton. Like Gwlad said above Millwall as an area is definitely East End but you identify as south west, does that mean you have no allegiance to Millwall as a place? If you win things where does the open top bus parade go?

Not taking the piss at all here I'm just interested because it's stuff I didn't know.

If we win things - ha ha ha, we know we'll never win anything at all, but that's OK. Football to most of us is about mates, a day on the piss and having a laugh. 

We are South East, not South West - there is a big difference. South West London is very affluent, Wimbledon tennis is SW London.

The actual place Millwall, is on the isle of dogs. It's just nostalgia. Most of our history has now gone, we moved south of the river to The Den in 1910. There is a pub called The Lord Nelson on the island that is still standing. Our first ever ground was behind it. A few will still have a tour about the place but there is no real connection - apart from the name of course.

The ground is in Bermondsey - SE16, If we ever did win anything that's where we would have a parade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome millwall I always remember watching Everton when I was a kid and you had sheringham and cascarino up top and that ale house footballer terry hurlock. I always have an afinity just because of Cahill. Proper footballer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Welcome millwall I always remember watching Everton when I was a kid and you had sheringham and cascarino up top and that ale house footballer terry hurlock. I always have an afinity just because of Cahill. Proper footballer 

Hurlock is a legend, still goes to most matches and is often seen in pubs near the ground on a match day. Don't think he ever has to buy a pint!

Cahill will always be loved. Pretty sure you will know but he has a Millwall & an Everton tattoo

Whether some will admit it or not, most I know respect Everton as a proper, old school football club, Portsmouth are another Not too many about these days, most are happy clappy sold their soul to the corporate man. Clappers for example have no place whatsoever in football. 

Millwall, these days is the only place that I hear that lovely old chant - Lino lino you're a c*nt (not sure if swearing is permitted on here, it is on all of our boards)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Millwall FC said:

If we win things - ha ha ha, we know we'll never win anything at all, but that's OK. Football to most of us is about mates, a day on the piss and having a laugh. 

We are South East, not South West - there is a big difference. South West London is very affluent, Wimbledon tennis is SW London.

You won a league title in 1988 so not much longer ago than our last pot! I lived in Wimbledon for ten years and worked there for about seventeen (not far from Plough Lane) and it's strange in that you have seriously affluent (Wimbledon Village with the tennis) "down" to what was working class South Wimbledon. There's a big difference mile to mile in London let alone region to region, have to say I've not been back for years a don't miss the place at all; in rural Devon now and dislike the city feel. Couldn't go back to it. The only city I feel at home in is (unsurprisingly) Liverpool.

Oh, and TC will always be loved by both clubs, wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up at the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Millwall FC said:

Hurlock is a legend, still goes to most matches and is often seen in pubs near the ground on a match day. Don't think he ever has to buy a pint!

Cahill will always be loved. Pretty sure you will know but he has a Millwall & an Everton tattoo

Whether some will admit it or not, most I know respect Everton as a proper, old school football club, Portsmouth are another Not too many about these days, most are happy clappy sold their soul to the corporate man. Clappers for example have no place whatsoever in football. 

Millwall, these days is the only place that I hear that lovely old chant - Lino lino you're a c*nt (not sure if swearing is permitted on here, it is on all of our boards)

 

Yeah swearing is allowed but not always needed, no matter whether you’re north south east or west London cunt is pretty much part of everyday conversation, and between mates it’s the norm to call each other a fucking cunt and not be offended it’s a term of endearment.

Out of interest after your statement regarding old school football clubs how old are you, are you old school in age as well as principals or just principals, and by the way I do agree with your comment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Millwall FC said:

I am 56, married with 4 kids & 2 grandchildren

Fair play mate proper old school I’m 59 and still think I’m 19, so like me you remember the good old days of the 70s and 80s, I don’t live a million miles from you in Swindon moved here when I was 3 and went to must home games and a lot of away from around 72-82, we used to love it when we had your lot West Ham Pompey and Cardiff it was still a working mans game then some of the best years of my footballing life and there was a real buzz going to match on Saturday with load of ya mates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

You won a league title in 1988 so not much longer ago than our last pot! I lived in Wimbledon for ten years and worked there for about seventeen (not far from Plough Lane) and it's strange in that you have seriously affluent (Wimbledon Village with the tennis) "down" to what was working class South Wimbledon. There's a big difference mile to mile in London let alone region to region, have to say I've not been back for years a don't miss the place at all; in rural Devon now and dislike the city feel. Couldn't go back to it. The only city I feel at home in is (unsurprisingly) Liverpool.

Oh, and TC will always be loved by both clubs, wouldn't be surprised to see him turn up at the match.

Stick to KMs, you redcoat. 

😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Fair play mate proper old school I’m 59 and still think I’m 19, so like me you remember the good old days of the 70s and 80s, I don’t live a million miles from you in Swindon moved here when I was 3 and went to must home games and a lot of away from around 72-82, we used to love it when we had your lot West Ham Pompey and Cardiff it was still a working mans game then some of the best years of my footballing life and there was a real buzz going to match on Saturday with load of ya mates. 

I think the youth of today would have a heart attack if they went to football in the 70's / 80's. No CCTV,  trouble in grounds you'd least expect, every team had it's madmen, if you acted up the worst you would get is a kicking from the OB then slung out. Yet we'd think nothing of travelling up & down the country week in, week out knowing it was definitely going to go off before, during & after.

Strangely, I miss it. In the sanitised world football of today,  anything happens and bods film it to stick it on youtube instead of wading in to sort it out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sibdane said:

Stick to KMs, you redcoat. 

😎

We still use miles here, always have; same as we use imperial for body weight but metric for food weight. Metric for milk, juice etc in the supermarket and imperial for a pint at the pub; we're a confusing lot:). But it works.

I expect after Brexit we'll go back to "old" money (twelve pennies to a shilling, twenty shillings in £1 so that's 240d (not p), florin is two shillings, half a crown two shillings and sixpence, guinea  = £1 and one shilling; clear?). It all made sense when I was a kid:lol:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Millwall FC said:

I think the youth of today would have a heart attack if they went to football in the 70's / 80's. No CCTV,  trouble in grounds you'd least expect, every team had it's madmen, if you acted up the worst you would get is a kicking from the OB then slung out. Yet we'd think nothing of travelling up & down the country week in, week out knowing it was definitely going to go off before, during & after.

Strangely, I miss it. In the sanitised world football of today,  anything happens and bods film it to stick it on youtube instead of wading in to sort it out. 

 

Yeah they probably would but they’d soon learn love it and really I find it quite mild what we got up to in them days to what’s going on in our Towns and Cities now. 

I don’t think my parents ever thought or worried when I went to football I might get seriously hurt or killed, now I’m not saying it never happened but it was pretty rare normally you got a few cuts and bruises, but now especially around London and some of the bigger Cities kids are getting knifed to death for fuck all how fucking scary is that for parents and grandparents, give me a skirmish and footy match everyday of the week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We still use miles here, always have; same as we use imperial for body weight but metric for food weight. Metric for milk, juice etc in the supermarket and imperial for a pint at the pub; we're a confusing lot:). But it works.

I expect after Brexit we'll go back to "old" money (twelve pennies to a shilling, twenty shillings in £1 so that's 240d (not p), florin is two shillings, half a crown two shillings and sixpence, guinea  = £1 and one shilling; clear?). It all made sense when I was a kid:lol:.

I'm even more confused than before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Missed out on a last sixteen game at Wimbledon:(.

Too add a bit more salt Chelsea v United draw would've made us third favourites for the comp. Behind City and the winner of that tie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Too add a bit more salt Chelsea v United draw would've made us third favourites for the comp. Behind City and the winner of that tie. 

Then again there is the fact that last time we played at Wimbledon in the 5th round we got turned over (1987, I was there). First FA Cup game we'd lost outside of Wembley since 1983 at Old Trafford. Decent side also.

Was an early live TV game I think from memory https://www.11v11.com/matches/wimbledon-v-everton-22-february-1987-215779/

Capture.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Then again there is the fact that last time we played at Wimbledon in the 5th round we got turned over (1987, I was there). First FA Cup game we'd lost outside of Wembley since 1983 at Old Trafford. Decent side also.

Was an early live TV game I think from memory https://www.11v11.com/matches/wimbledon-v-everton-22-february-1987-215779/

Capture.JPG

How we could do with a Dave Watson (c) in the side right now.

Do you ever get to see us win Mike? If memory serves me right you've had a few duff results the last couple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pete0 said:

How we could do with a Dave Watson (c) in the side right now.

Do you ever get to see us win Mike? If memory serves me right you've had a few duff results the last couple. 

With Van den Hauwe Reid and Steven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I was gonna add Reid but he's slightly before my time. Watson was the only one I got to see properly.

Reid was our ball winner he could also turn the style on as well and was a leader never a quiet moment on the pitch with him around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Do you ever get to see us win Mike? If memory serves me right you've had a few duff results the last couple.

Generally been lucky Pete in fact, since I restarted going to games with Josh we've only seen one loss (v City with a silver lining) and one draw which was Newcastle recently; not always seen the greatest performances but we've won most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Reid was our ball winner he could also turn the style on as well and was a leader never a quiet moment on the pitch with him around.

Exactly what we need 😔 

Just now, MikeO said:

Generally been lucky Pete in fact, since I restarted going to games with Josh we've only seen one loss (v City with a silver lining) and one draw which was Newcastle recently; not always seen the greatest performances but we've won most.

Ah my memory is a little off. Good stuff, might have a spare for the Derby if that's the case! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Exactly what we need 😔 

Reidy was the bollocks, both as a player and motivator; think Gravesen and Carsley combined and multiply by ten, he'd be priceless in the market today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...