Sign in to follow this  
MikeO

Marco Silva

6 minutes ago, Finn balor said:

Got it spot on today. Those deep hanging crosses weren’t by accident 

They were great, and then we changed it a bit for Richarlison thunder header, which was need TBH

Managers can get better, just as players can. It’s early days,very early days, but there’s nothing wrong with us having a bit of optimism and backing him.

Its a foolish person that thinks people can’t learn and change. Let’s see what he can do with what’s left of the season.

My biggest criticism of moyes was that he wouldn't evolve and adapt.  The game changes and managers stuck in their ways get found out... like at mourinho.

I feared Silva was stubborn like Martinez but it looks like to his credit he has managed to get his methods across or refine them. We could be onto a winner......

31 minutes ago, hafnia said:

My biggest criticism of moyes was that he wouldn't evolve and adapt.  The game changes and managers stuck in their ways get found out... like at mourinho.

I feared Silva was stubborn like Martinez but it looks like to his credit he has managed to get his methods across or refine them. We could be onto a winner......

I’ve got to say I too was all for Silva getting the boot some weeks ago. 

1) Because we were playing dreadfully and  2) Because he had the appearance of beaten man.

Then something change in the second half against Chelsea and by all accounts he finally lost his cool in the dressing room and snapped and the players reacted in a positive way, and carried that on into Saturdays game.

So hands up it’s looking like I was wrong and long may it stay that way, we are improving and the players seem to know their roles and I can’t wait for the next game which wasn’t always the case not long ago.

5 hours ago, Shukes said:

Managers can get better, just as players can. It’s early days,very early days, but there’s nothing wrong with us having a bit of optimism and backing him.

Its a foolish person that thinks people can’t learn and change. Let’s see what he can do with what’s left of the season.

Very good points Shukes 👍

On 31/03/2019 at 03:10, Isaiah said:

What I've loved about the last two games (Chelsea and West Ham) is that after the devastating collapse at Newcastle, it would have been so easy for the team to just give up on the season and cruise the last 8 games. And in my opinion, a team that wasn't playing for the manager would have given up. But they've bounced back in style. There's an aggression to their play. They want to win. That's down to Silva in my opinion. They're playing for him and for the pride of the shirt, and that's brilliant to see. I'm really optimistic about the direction of the team. The reaction to the Newcastle result could not have been better, and I think that's down to Marco.  

Hope you're opinion matches the foresight your user name would imply:).

2 hours ago, Palfy said:

I’ve got to say I too was all for Silva getting the boot some weeks ago. 

1) Because we were playing dreadfully and  2) Because he had the appearance of beaten man.

Then something change in the second half against Chelsea and by all accounts he finally lost his cool in the dressing room and snapped and the players reacted in a positive way, and carried that on into Saturdays game.

So hands up it’s looking like I was wrong and long may it stay that way, we are improving and the players seem to know their roles and I can’t wait for the next game which wasn’t always the case not long ago.

We weren't wrong palf.....  one way or another the job wasn't getting done. There was very little to indicate the players were on-board or that he actually was in control of the situation.

I'd love to know what happened in that dressing room. 

Most of us blamed Newcastle on Silva and gave little credit to Rafa, Chelsea and West ham fans are doing similar blaming their managers after us beating them so hard to see why Silva getting credit? You can only best what's in front of you but timing has been the biggest factor, we've met both teams at their worst. As far as I can see there's been little difference in the tactics and squad wise the only difference is Richarlison playing on the right. Have a look on the West Ham forum and the comments were saying they were gonna get beat soon after the squads were announced and another saying Silva will never have an easier win in his career. 

3 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Be careful! Among other things, he prophesied abject defeat followed by many years in exile. 

53 minutes ago, hafnia said:

We weren't wrong palf.....  one way or another the job wasn't getting done. There was very little to indicate the players were on-board or that he actually was in control of the situation.

I'd love to know what happened in that dressing room. 

Thank god for that Haf I was beginning to doubt myself 😉

I don't think much has changed. Most of us would have said we were quietly optimistic about progress under Silva before Pickford's brain fart v the shite, then we reverted back to the sort of form and football that got Koeman sacked - hapless. But it's largely the same personnel in the same system. 

The difference? Probably a combination of a new manager getting his ideas across more effectively the longer he works with a group, new players finding their feet, more players finding some form and confidence. It's too early to get carried away, though, this is still the side that capitulated woefully against Newcastle two matches ago, the lack of leadership at CB, real creativity in midfield and the need for a proven goalscorer to lighten the load of expectation on the 21 year old who has become our first choice CF all still apply. 

I think what we are seeing is that calls for Silva's head were very, very premature. 

27 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

Be careful! Among other things, he prophesied abject defeat followed by many years in exile. 

I can do nothing but accept your biblical knowledge; on the bright side at least advance knowledge would prepare us for defeat and exile:unsure:.

51 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Most of us blamed Newcastle on Silva and gave little credit to Rafa, Chelsea and West ham fans are doing similar blaming their managers after us beating them so hard to see why Silva getting credit? You can only best what's in front of you but timing has been the biggest factor, we've met both teams at their worst. As far as I can see there's been little difference in the tactics and squad wise the only difference is Richarlison playing on the right. Have a look on the West Ham forum and the comments were saying they were gonna get beat soon after the squads were announced and another saying Silva will never have an easier win in his career. 

I see what your saying, because t they hadn’t been beaten at home since December and were on a good run. 

Did they just turn to crap, or did we make them look crap? 

43 minutes ago, Shukes said:

I see what your saying, because t they hadn’t been beaten at home since December and were on a good run. 

Did they just turn to crap, or did we make them look crap? 

What the stats don't show you is that their fans still moaned about the manager even though they beat Huddersfield in the end, and the game before that they were easily beaten by Cardiff. Against us they were also missing their best player in Anderson and played their worst one in Perez, add to that the managers tactics left them completely exposed on the wings which played in our favour. 

Don't know if it's the same for others but for me if you get a win too easy it's not satisfying, I'm happy with three points but take little else from the last game. Beating West Ham felt more similar to an easy preseason friendly rather than a hard earned three points. 

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

West ham still have top class players in that team who can change a game in the blink of an eye. We negated that by not putting a foot wrong all match, and credit has to be given for that. We were almost perfect in everything we set out to do from start to finish. 

We scored from a corner tooo!!!!!

1 hour ago, Aidan said:

West ham still have top class players in that team who can change a game in the blink of an eye. We negated that by not putting a foot wrong all match, and credit has to be given for that. We were almost perfect in everything we set out to do from start to finish. 

Not the ones that started against us  though, looking at their last 10 games their starting eleven only had 3 goals. Lanzini is coming from an injury, Arnautovic has been poor since January, Perez has hardly had any minutes (and for good reason), Snodgrass is out of form, Cresswell isn'tt the same player since his injury and Zableta's legs have gone. So no surprises those three goals were from the two centre backs and Rice who all have one each. 

Just glad to see everyone fighting for points. If we continue this way and do finish 7th it will be bitter sweet because we all know how poor we were in that middle period and another 3/4 wins at this time and we could really be pushing for 5/6th spot. Small margins in this league  but I never expected a quick fix this season. I’m glad we’ve stuck with Silva And I’m glad to see us improving. I want some wins against the “big boys” desperately. I actually believe we could get results against Arsenal, Spurs and United.

2 hours ago, Btay said:

Just glad to see everyone fighting for points. If we continue this way and do finish 7th it will be bitter sweet because we all know how poor we were in that middle period and another 3/4 wins at this time and we could really be pushing for 5/6th spot. Small margins in this league  but I never expected a quick fix this season. I’m glad we’ve stuck with Silva And I’m glad to see us improving. I want some wins against the “big boys” desperately. I actually believe we could get results against Arsenal, Spurs and United.

We have ticked off Chelsea already, one down  three to go 👍💙

6 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

We have ticked off Chelsea already, one down  three to go 👍💙

Yep. Would be a huge end to this season and give big reason for optimism into next.

8 hours ago, pete0 said:

Not the ones that started against us  though, looking at their last 10 games their starting eleven only had 3 goals. Lanzini is coming from an injury, Arnautovic has been poor since January, Perez has hardly had any minutes (and for good reason), Snodgrass is out of form, Cresswell isn'ttt the same player since his injury and Zableta's legs have gone. So no surprises those three goals were from the two centre backs and Rice who all have one each. 

I Know what you're saying Pete, it's just nice to talk about the good side of Everton for a change. We can't be negative all the time! 

Bit of perspective here.....

We lost against an ale house side like Millwall and the team looked in disarray in all other games at this time.  I wanted him gone cos he looked completely out of ideas and to be honest like he was blagging it and we were looking desperate...

He has to take credit for this turnaround because it takes more to do that than just ride the momentum of success.  The soft underbelly that the players have was demonstrated against Newcastle and he made bad mistakes with his subs and pickford has to take blame for unsettling the side for performing like he had 5 cans of red bull before kick Off.  The turnaround after the first half against Chelsea has been great.... I couldn't give a shit if west ham were garbage.... they would have beaten us 8 weeks ago with ease. 

There will be things that still need addressing... our erratic goalkeeper, the collective weak mentality that crops up every now and then, finding out what makes Andre Gomes play like Andre Iniesta one match and Peter Andre in others.... but its getting better which I didn't think would happen. 

It's all very well wanting to be right about everything and trying to find excuses to support why wanting him gone or never wanting him in the first place is still credible but it doesn't wash - he is trending on an upward curve st the moment... wonder if Sam Allardyce will get wheeled out by his golfing and drinking chums to discuss how "mario" Silva has managed to improve a failing team....

51 minutes ago, hafnia said:

It's all very well wanting to be right about everything and trying to find excuses to support why wanting him gone or never wanting him in the first place is still credible but it doesn't wash - he is trending on an upward curve st the moment... wonder if Sam Allardyce will get wheeled out by his golfing and drinking chums to discuss how "mario" Silva has managed to improve a failing team....

What's Silva done different? What's he improved? As far as I can see it's the same players (bar Richarlison being moved to the right) in the same system. 

18 minutes ago, pete0 said:

What's Silva done different? What's he improved? As far as I can see it's the same players (bar Richarlison being moved to the right) in the same system. 

Changed the way he communicates maybe? Changed tact in explaining what he wants? There have been changes, it’s clear to see, but identifying them is impossible unless someone on the inside tells us. 

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Changed the way he communicates maybe? Changed tact in explaining what he wants? There have been changes, it’s clear to see, but identifying them is impossible unless someone on the inside tells us. 

Plain to see but impossible to identify? 

I didn't see anything new or different. As far as I could see we played the same formation doing the same things. DCL and Sig pressing from the front and when we had the ball we went outwide and the fullbacks pushed forward. 

20 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I didn't see anything new or different. As far as I could see we played the same formation doing the same things. DCL and Sig pressing from the front and when we had the ball we went outwide and the fullbacks pushed forward. 

Yeah, sounds stupid when you put it like that but it’s still true :lol: look at the results following the return after February’s international break - we’ve dropped 5 points from 5 games, winning 10 from a possible 15. Compare that to the 5 games before where we got 3 from 15 (plus getting dumped out of the cup). Clearly something has changed.

from the extended highlights and games since, the pressing is more proactive and energetic than the last few months, much like we played at the beginning of the season, and that comes down to a change in communication of either motivation or tactics in my opinion 

The passing has become a lot sharper. I think Bernard is becoming settled, and the players look like they are on the same page now and know where they can expect to pass it. Those are the most noticeable differences for me. It takes awhile to build those relationships on the pitch.

The partnerships of Digne/Bernard & Coleman/Richarlison are benefiting both pairs. Link up play has increased.  This is different from earlier in the season as Walcott was ALWAYS in the team and Bernard was on the bench.  So in my opinion Silva has certainly changed things.  Why it took him so long to do so? That is a while different discussion.

1 hour ago, sibdane said:

The passing has become a lot sharper. I think Bernard is becoming settled, and the players look like they are on the same page now and know where they can expect to pass it. Those are the most noticeable differences for me. It takes awhile to build those relationships on the pitch.

Pace in passing as well as movement, completely agree 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

Yeah, sounds stupid when you put it like that but it’s still true :lol: look at the results following the return after February’s international break - we’ve dropped 5 points from 5 games, winning 10 from a possible 15. Compare that to the 5 games before where we got 3 from 15 (plus getting dumped out of the cup). Clearly something has changed.

from the extended highlights and games since, the pressing is more proactive and energetic than the last few months, much like we played at the beginning of the season, and that comes down to a change in communication of either motivation or tactics in my opinion 

Think we've just been really lucky with the timing of the games. Klopp bottled it against us and played the extra defensive midfielder, Chelsea are disgruntled, Cardiff are gash (although so are Newcastle but we fluffed up against them), and West Ham's gaffer must be trying to get himself sacked. 

How we play reminds me of Martinez but with less tippy crappy at the back. Same game plan every week. It's all far too predictable and I'm not enjoying much. I can't think of a game this season were we've played decent opposition and out fought and outplayed them for a win. Closest would be Wolves and Bournemouth at the start of the season but in those we folded at the end. 

3 hours ago, plaidharper said:

The partnerships of Digne/Bernard & Coleman/Richarlison are benefiting both pairs. Link up play has increased.  This is different from earlier in the season as Walcott was ALWAYS in the team and Bernard was on the bench.  So in my opinion Silva has certainly changed things.  Why it took him so long to do so? That is a while different discussion.

Bernard has started most games. Richarlison has moved to the right the last couple but that's the single change in my eyes. I don't see any difference in the tactics/football though. 

I think there has been a higher intensity in the pressing to get the ball back and once we break we are doing it with real purpose. Maybe things just take time to click? I think the midfield/attackers are happy that DCL is up top and getting a run. He makes space for bentard/ charly etc and puts a real shift in 

37 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Bernard has started most games. Richarlison has moved to the right the last couple but that's the single change in my eyes. I don't see any difference in the tactics/football though. 

Bernard consistently starting on the left has not been all season thus why I listed it as a change.  

50 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Think we've just been really lucky with the timing of the games. Klopp bottled it against us and played the extra defensive midfielder, Chelsea are disgruntled, Cardiff are gash (although so are Newcastle but we fluffed up against them), and West Ham's gaffer must be trying to get himself sacked. 

How we play reminds me of Martinez but with less tippy crappy at the back. Same game plan every week. It's all far too predictable and I'm not enjoying much. I can't think of a game this season were we've played decent opposition and out fought and outplayed them for a win. Closest would be Wolves and Bournemouth at the start of the season but in those we folded at the end. 

Regardless, you can’t believe that there hasn’t been a massive improvement; the games you’ve quoted we could’ve easily lost with the form of Nov-Feb.

the energy and urgency we’ve played at is surely visible and that has to come from more than Bernard playing and Richarlison switching sides?

Just wondering how silly some are feeling for calling for his sacking the last few months. I didn’t want him or rate him, but the reaction recently is pleasantly proving me and many others wrong

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just wondering how silly some are feeling for calling for his sacking the last few months. I didn’t want him or rate him, but the reaction recently is pleasantly proving me and many others wrong

i backed him and then when i turned the results turned around.  for the sake of this club matt i will stand firm he needs to be sacked, long may the winning continue!! :)

17 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i backed him and then when i turned the results turned around.  for the sake of this club matt i will stand firm he needs to be sacked, long may the winning continue!! :)

Keep the negativity comin!

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Yes you did - we won. How about players are starting to understand his system and style better, players are starting to gel, find their own form, learn their own roles? Or do you just want to have it that when we lose, it's the manager's fault, but when we win it's nothing to do with him? 

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I've hold that we should take stock at the end of the season and I still do. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

You are right we haven’t changed the formation or tactics, the big plus for me is the 3 in the middle have become a unit that work hard for each other, when we lose possession there first thought is get behind the ball and work to get it back, which in turn is having a good effect on the defence. 

So for me it’s more of a attitude or mindset change that has seen us improve, is that down to Silva I would like to think so, I called him weak because the team were weak in there attitude and decisions, and I believe a team reflects it’s manager. 

Did he become stronger with the players in the dressing room at half time in the Chelsea game, the players have made hints that they were read the riot act, and if so they become stronger because he became stronger that’s my opinion, and if we see that same intensity in all our games going forward I would feel a lot more positive towards him. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

You are right we haven’t changed the formation or tactics, the big plus for me is the 3 in the middle have become a unit that work hard for each other, when we lose possession there first thought is get behind the ball and work to get it back, which in turn is having a good effect on the defence. 

So for me it’s more of a attitude or mindset change that has seen us improve, is that down to Silva I would like to think so, I called him weak because the team were weak in there attitude and decisions, and I believe a team reflects it’s manager. 

Did he become stronger with the players in the dressing room at half time in the Chelsea game, the players have made hints that they were read the riot act, and if so they become stronger because he became stronger that’s my opinion, and if we see that same intensity in all our games going forward I would feel a lot more positive towards him. 

This. It’s the same tactics, just better application. For me the players are working hard again, like they were before Anfield. 

21 hours ago, nogs said:

Yes you did - we won. How about players are starting to understand his system and style better, players are starting to gel, find their own form, learn their own roles? Or do you just want to have it that when we lose, it's the manager's fault, but when we win it's nothing to do with him? 

We blame the manager for Newcastle without giving credit to them. Why would you credit Silva when the fortune favoured is with teams imploding? Give credit were its due and when it's deserved, not simply because we won. 

14 minutes ago, pete0 said:

We blame the manager for Newcastle without giving credit to them. Why would you credit Silva when the fortune favoured is with teams imploding? Give credit were its due and when it's deserved, not simply because we won. 

Because the Newcastle game we were dominant then collapsed because of a change of tactics. That’s why Silva got the blame. 

9 minutes ago, Matt said:

Because the Newcastle game we were dominant then collapsed because of a change of tactics. That’s why Silva got the blame. 

Newcastle scored before the change in tactics. Their goal was coming and he took to long to make the change to prevent it. 

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

Newcastle scored before the change in tactics. Their goal was coming and he took to long to make the change to prevent it. 

We didn’t hound them anywhere near as much as we did in the first half. Something changed during halftime, not just the change of shape 

I just like the fact that Silva has shown more bottle, tenacity, a desire to improve and adapt and to put the club before his ego.....

It puts the shit that we suffered under allardyce into perspective.  What a fookin joke of a manager and a vile person that man is....cupping his ears to the fans who voiced their displeasure for his disgraceful tactics against West Brom,  winding supporters up, slagging off the club who paid him a fortune for 6 months work after he spent most Mondays sunning himself in his villa and leaving coaches to pick up the pieces. 

Classless greedy bastard. 

16 hours ago, pete0 said:

After they scored their first goal, we went up the other end and nearly got a third. We then had more chances to get that third.

Then we made changes.

Against Chelsea, we changed something fat half time and came out believing.

Against Weat Ham, we started out on the front foot, and never let them get a hold of the game to get back in.

Has anyone ever heard the term “brought down to their level”? It’s common for pub teams as well as Barca. 

It must be awful to be unable to alter your opinion of something because arrogance and need to be right is all too powerful.  

I think most of us didn't rate Steven Naismith to start with....  but his determination and application made him a top asset to our club and well loved.   

I genuinely see a desire from Silva to be a success.... I don't think it was evident a good few weeks back but it is now.