IGNORED

Ask the opposition...Everton Football Club

Before I present you with the questions, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all in advance for your honest and straightforward answers, be they long or short. Should this be in the wrong thread, is it possible for the modmins to kindly move it to another part of the forum which is relevant just in case.

Hello, I am an admin on the Manchester United forum United Reds many of us moving over from Red Cafe. First of all this is not intended to be any attempt at flaming each other’s clubs, merely an attempt to gauge the feelings heading into this weekend’s game. This season we are doing a feature called 'Ask The Opposition', where we go on forums of opposition teams prior to the match and ask questions before posting the responses in a thread and also in blog format. The link for the definitive article will be posted on http://www.unitedreds.net/ This is one we did recently for Newcastle United fans and will be created in the same way for Everton, with a logo. http://www.unitedreds.net/xfa-blog-entry/ask-the-opposition-newcastle-united-football-club-05-04-2014.30/

If any of you could answer any of these questions (answer as many/or as few as you want), it would be much appreciated.

Question 1

Lets get it out of the way, what are your thoughts on Manchester United and in particular David Moyes this season who has moved from managing Everton Football club for nearly 12 years to moving to Manchester United?

Question 2

After what has gone on and all that Moyes has done for Everton, are you ready to forgive him?

Question 3

After seeing what Robert Martinez has done with your team, do you think he has improved the way you play, and it what way does he differ from David Moyes?

Question 4

Do you think having Lukaku has made a difference to the way you play with his physical presence?

Question 5

Who is your most hated Manchester United player and why?

Question 6

What are your thoughts on Martinez? Do you think he is the right manager to get you where you rightly deserve after so many years trying; a Champions league spot?

Question 7

What does Manchester United versus Everton mean to you as an Evertonian?

Question 8

We have played against each other many times over the years. Which is your favourite game against us, and why?

Question 9

What are your predictions for the game on the 20th of April?

Should you, however have any questions then, please do not hesitate to create a thread on our forum as we will be only too happy to respond.

Edited by UnitedReds

Question 1

Lets get it out of the way, what are your thoughts on Manchester United and in particular David Moyes this season who has moved from managing Everton Football club for nearly 12 years to moving to Manchester United?

Its no secret that Man U's haul of silverware in recent years causes jealousy and petty hatred. Add to that the steeling of Rooney and the unloading of Phil Neville and it just adds to the bad taste in my mouth. We have gotten some good things from Man Utd too. Thanks for Howard, Saha and Gibbo. Thanks for taking Moyes! Moyes did a great job in giving Everton stability. Turning Everton into a stable top 8 club. He just didnt have it in him to take the next step.

Question 2

After what has gone on and all that Moyes has done for Everton, are you ready to forgive him?

Theres nothing to forgive in my eyes. He came, he did a good job, he lost interest, he joined Man U.

Question 3

After seeing what Robert Martinez has done with your team, do you think he has improved the way you play, and it what way does he differ from David Moyes?

One word, confidence. Martinez installs confidence in the team while Moyes focuses on negativity. Moyes is all about being the underdog. Bringing a knife to a gun fight and all that. He is more about trying to stop the other teams from scoring while Martinez is more about scoring. Just see Moyes record against the "bigger" clubs with Everton. Its been blown to pieces in Martinez first season with Everton.

Question 4

Do you think having Lukaku has made a difference to the way you play with his physical presence?

A finisher like Lukaku will always make a difference but i dont think Everton play any different due to Lukakus physical presence. If anything you would have thought that teams would use Lukaku by hoofing the ball up to him, something Everton rarely do.

Question 5

I dont hate any players really.

Question 6

What are your thoughts on Martinez? Do you think he is the right manager to get you where you rightly deserve after so many years trying; a Champions league spot?

I love him, i have a tiny man crush for him. Yes i think we can get fourth this season but its going to be really close. Arsenal have an easier schedule but terrible form. Everton have both Manchester teams but are in an amazing form. 6 wins in a row. Not happened for 11-12 years.

Question 7

One of the biggest matches every year. Almost up there with the derby.

Question 8

We have played against each other many times over the years. Which is your favourite game against us, and why?

The turn around last season.

Question 9

Its a home game and Everton are very strong at home. Man U and Moyes will really want to win this one, as will Everton. Impossible to predict and i dont really want to try.

Question 1

I can't stand Man U and think they are overrated, overhyped, and under talented. David Moyes is a great mid table manager which is what Manchester United is now, a mid table team.

Question 2

I've already forgiven him, he did well while here and am thankful for that. He thought he could come back and take players because he's at the supposed bigger club but we showed him what's up when he paid 4.5 mil more than he should for fellaini.

Question 3

Yes he has improved us turning us into a modern team that adapts with different formations, plays possession ball out the back and brings POSITIVITY and belief to the team and players. He is just about the opposite of moyes.

Question 4

Yes and no, Vic Anichebe was big and physical as well so it's not like he's the first big brute we've had. I think Lukaku's style, penchant for goals, and ability is a lot greater than other strikers we've had which is what is getting him on the score sheet (not to mention the players around him).

Question 5

I don't hate anyone to be honest.

Question 6

Love RM, was a fan before he came here and I wanted him to come here, so very happy with him. Yes he is the right manager to do that, and I think in addition to Champs he will also help the team win a trophy.

Question 7

Top 5 team (Everton) versus Mid-Table team (Man U). Also New manager versus the old.

Question 8

2013 Old Trafford, Everton 1- 0 Man U. Thank you Bryan Oviedo.

Question 9

Everton 2 - 0 Man U

Question 1

I have a healthy dislike of Man United, I wouldn't describe it as hate though. I think this is a lot to do with the fans and their expectation that United has a divine right to success and to win everything. I was waiting for Fergie to leave because as is evident this season he was the main reason why they were so successful.

I didn't appreciate Moyes ran down his contract, although he was perfectly entitled to do so but it was the manner in which he was recruited that came to light. His comments regarding Baines and Fellaini and viewing us as a small club. I had to actually see the videos of his comments to really believe he said them.

Question 2

See above. There was a complete lack of respect from Moyes towards Everton after he left. I respect what he did in stabilizing the club but he had taken us as far as he could and his tactics were overly negative. A parting of the ways seemed best for all parties concerned but I can't forgive the comments that he made simply because he received nothing but respect from us in his last game at Goodison.

Question 3

Everything is positive. The players have been receptive to Martinez and his methods and that has further galvanized the squad. They look like they really want to play positive, attacking football. Moyes was only ever concerned with how the opposition could hurt us during a game.

Question 4

Lukaku is a great player and he showed in his previous season at West Brom that he can score goals in the premier league. I don't think it's down to his physical presence as such, it's more Martinez improving him and thus the team.

Question 5

I don't hate anyone at United.

Question 6

I'll admit that I was concerned when Martinez joined but am delighted to have been proven wrong. He is definitely the right manager for our club.

Question 7

In the past it was the chance to play the best team in the league. This time it's more to do with sticking the boot in this time. You're having a bad season and I'd like to ensure that we contribute to your troubles continuing.

Question 8

The 1-0 win at Old Trafford where Martinez proved we can go to the so called big 4 and win.

Question 9

I think it could be 2-0 or 3-0. With the style of play that we now employ I find it ironic that Moyes is going to be concerned as to how Everton can hurt United rather than concentrating on his own team.

Oh cool!! I'll answer with honesty and integrity guv'nor (I would put my hand on the bible, but I dont have one, so I put it on my balls instead!)

Q1:

Man Utd are a big club. The biggest in our land. With the biggest stadium etc etc. You've had your time over the last 25 years. Done brilliantly and irritated many by winning so much. Fair play. I have a feeling you are about to find out who your real fans are, because I dont see a quick return to winning titles etc. It goes deeper than the manager. The Glaziers have given you a gift of huge debt. No CL footy will make it harder to pay down that debt. Financial Fair Play means you cant just throw money at the team anymore...and even if you could, Utd need a mass of investment to get that squad back in full flow. Im not sure the Glaziers have that money in their back pocket.

With Moyes, he did mostly good for us for about 8/9 years. But he became self defeating. He needed to change his mindset and stop making excuses about money, squad age, small squad, punching above our weight etc. He wasnt giving the players confidence anymore...we looked to cling onto leads and against 'big' teams we looked to minimise damage. He was never going to take us to that next level. He left mostly with respect but then said and acted in ways which disillusioned many of us. And thats a shame.

Q2:

I think despite what was said etc, he deserves a good reception, just this once, on his return to GP. He does what he thinks is best for his new club now, thats what he is paid for. At the end of it all, he did more good than bad. I dont think there is anything to forgive to be honest.

Q3:

Martinez has brought in a positive vibe right through the club. He is so tactically aware and wants us to play to our strengths and his philosphy. We play a much shorter passing game, more patient and fear no one. With Moyes, we did play some great football, but the belief wasnt there nor was the tactical nous. It was too much same old same.

Q4:

Not too much. Lukaku is the end product of brilliant patient short passing. So much more goes on before Lukaku. It would be a big mistake for anyone to focus too much on one man.

Q5:

Dont hate any. Although Ferdinand tends to get on my tits a bit. Fake arse gangster wannabe.

Q6:

Martinez is amazing. And people need to remember he is only 40...he is still learning. I love listening to him, so positive. Its no coincidence that he is thought of so highly in the game. He will take us to another level. A new culture is about to rip through the club, from youth to first team. It will take a few years, but will be wortg the wait. If I wasnt getting married in 2 weeks, didnt have kids and was a bit gay...I'd have him.

Q7:

Edited by Newty82

Sorry, posted to soon!!

Q7:

Its a big tasty game. One to look forward too.

Q8:

That recent 4-4 was a belter. Say no more!

Also the one where Big Dunc scored the winner. Awesome. Just lifted the roof that one!

Q9:

Honestly, if we keep this form....its another 3-0. Got a feeling Moyes will make it more difficult...going to be quite amusing watching the big Manchester United park the bus against the minnows of Everton!!!

Question 1

Waste of wages his last 3 years here. Wanted him out after he shouted at our players on the attack to defend when it was 3-3 at OT. Only disappointed he ran his contract down (something he criticised players for doing) we didn't find a club stupid enough to pay for him.

Question 2

As long as Bill doesn't try bringing him back here after you sack him I'm happy.

Question 3

We played some great stuff under Moyes just RM bottled it and switched to tried and tested as his nerves kicked in, the biggest thing RM has done is remove the fear against the bigger teams.

Question 4

For the size of him he's not a physical player, Naismith probably puts it about more.

Question 5

Rio. He's not all of a sudden shite because Moyes is a bad manager; refs just don't give him fouls and breathers no to mkae his life easy any more.

Question 6

He wasn't my first choice and I'm not a fan of possession football, but he's a massive improvement on Moyes.

Question 7

Used to be my favourite game to go to. Moyes v City rivalry overtook it.

Question 8

Duncan Ferguson 1-0. Best atmosphere I've felt before a game.

Question 9

A frustrating 1-2 or an end to end 4-3

Edited by pete0

Before I present you with the questions, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all in advance for your honest and straightforward answers, be they long or short. Should this be in the wrong thread, is it possible for the modmins to kindly move it to another part of the forum which is relevant just in case.

Hello, I am an admin on the Manchester United forum United Reds many of us moving over from Red Cafe. First of all this is not intended to be any attempt at flaming each others clubs, merely an attempt to gauge the feelings heading into this weekends game. This season we are doing a feature called 'Ask The Opposition', where we go on forums of opposition teams prior to the match and ask questions before posting the responses in a thread and also in blog format. The link for the definitive article will be posted on http://www.unitedreds.net/ This is one we did recently for Newcastle United fans and will be created in the same way for Everton, with a logo. http://www.unitedreds.net/xfa-blog-entry/ask-the-opposition-newcastle-united-football-club-05-04-2014.30/

If any of you could answer any of these questions (answer as many/or as few as you want), it would be much appreciated.

Question 1

A bit of karma really, an underhand approach for our manager turned out to be the biggest mistake SAF made. I've wanted Moyes out of Everton for some time. Not ungrateful, I appreciate his first few years but after that he really did Piss me off with his negativity and excuse riddled attitude.

Question 2

No, but let him have his regrets. He will see the result if disrespecting the club that made him an extremely rich man. Arteta made the same mistake to a far lesser degree and knew about it on Sunday. Moyes will regret his attitude to us last summer.

Question 3

Martinez is the type of manager that Moyes should have tried to be. Ambitious, expansive, brave. He gave himself the platform and the right to be but he didn't. Archaic mindset. His team selection and subs are normally perfect, Moyes was puzzling.

Question 4

No. Fellaini did and Martinez got rid. Lukaku needs to improve the use of his physicality believe it or not.

Question 5

Not really a hater of any United players.

Question 6

Definitely. An amazing appointment by Bill who I have very little time for.

Question 7

3 points I hope. I don't have an inferiority complex of United, my first season as an Everton fan we beat you 5-0 on way to winning the league. Over the Moyes years I hated playing you, he just seemed to show fear.

Question 8

When we beat you 1-0 and Ferguson owned Rio.

Question 9

3-1 win. Goodison will be bouncing. Moyes has given us some fuel that he won't wish he had.

Should you, however have any questions then, please do not hesitate to create a thread on our forum as we will be only too happy to respond.

Question 1

Honestly I have no axe to grind with Man Utd. Although I do tend to call you ManUre on certain posts. It is not meant in a nasty way really. I am grateful to Moyes for dragging us from relegation candidates to top half finishers. However some of his actions since joining you have left me aghast. I would not trust him with a second hand teabag now.

Question 2

For doing the same job for more money in his pocket and a ready set up? Nothing to forgive. For trying to rape Everton ... not hardly.

Question 3

He has changed us from hopers to believers. He has a better playing philosophy ... Keep yer hands off.

Question 4

I think he is a great bonus but I am sure we would have played the same way, maybe not as effectively though

Question 5

Don't hate any of them myself ... unless you have just signed Gerrard or Joey Barton :rofl:

Question 6

He has the best chance of doing that for us. I rate him very very highly

Question 7

This season ... 3 points LOL No seriously I have always enjoyed the games. Remember how Big Dunc used to really terrorise your defence? Always enjoyed the games.

Question 8

The 4 - 4 was a great game for us, exciting as hell. And the look on SAF face at the end was priceless. Hate to have been in your dressing room after that one.

Question 9

Tough one but I really do think we will do you this time. Barring injuries of course.

Thanks for posting and good luck for the rest of the season.

Rube...calling them ManUre isnt meant in a nasty way?!!!! Well its hardly compliment of the year is it?!!! Haha!!!!

Of course not LOL I am being honest to the lad. And I call other teams a lot lot worse. Redshite, Red Scum Man Shitty etc. But then I think ManUre is not so bad. It shows I take notice of them LOL

Hello, I am an admin on the Manchester United forum United Reds many of us moving over from Red Cafe. First of all this is not intended to be any attempt at flaming each other’s clubs, merely an attempt to gauge the feelings heading into this weekend’s game. This season we are doing a feature called 'Ask The Opposition', where we go on forums of opposition teams prior to the match and ask questions before posting the responses in a thread and also in blog format. The link for the definitive article will be posted on http://www.unitedreds.net/ This is one we did recently for Newcastle United fans and will be created in the same way for Everton, with a logo. http://www.unitedreds.net/xfa-blog-entry/ask-the-opposition-newcastle-united-football-club-05-04-2014.30/

Question 1

Fallen away badly and a pale imitation that won last years league championship. Years of dominance appear to be over although that could easily be rectified as soon as Moyes is terminated and the club sorts itself out from this seasons 'misfortunes' and attempts to regain something approaching it's former stature. Moyes was the wrong choice from day one. Evidently out of his depth at such an established and recognized club side and should ideally be managing in the championship league.

Question 2

Got no animosity towards Moyes even if he did leave under a cloud towards the end. Made Everton recognized again after 2000 after some considerable years out of the spotlight and always be grateful for his endeavors - just didn't produce a trophy in his decade in charge unfortunately.

Question 3

More attack minded, not afraid to have a go at opposition teams. Not so tentative as before on the big occasions.

Question 4

Lukaku has been a fine signing. Dangerous playing individual that can create and score chances and would hope to keep him on longer if able.

Question 5

No Manchester United player to hate in the current set-up. Rooney is far from a favorite player, but hate would be too strong a word to use on that playing individual. More a dislike, but nothing malicious.

Question 6

Skeptical when first arriving, and then Moyes before him delivered a champions league place in 2005. In retrospect, despite initial doubts, he has become over time a fine managerial figure but it's still early days and there's still so much more to come one would imagine. Too premature to be making proper judgments.

Question 7

One of the biggest match-ups on the soccer calendar from this clubs perspective. Been some great and memorable games going back far enough and would hope for another repeat the next time the two sides do battle.

Question 8

October 1984 and the five goal massacre at Goodison Park on route to the league championship. Just a short time after the Graeme Sharp goal at Anfield for good measure.

But United would sour things by winning the FA Cup Final later that season and deny us a treble chance. Still hate Whiteside to a certain extent, even if we did sign him up a few years after. The 3 - 0 win at Old Trafford in August 1992 would have to be included also, as with the Ferguson goal in March / April 2005 that saw us win 1 - 0 on route to the champions league and a famous night at Goodison Park that many will take away forever.

Question 9

It's a crap shoot, anything can occur. Say a point for each side in a 1 - 1 score draw, but you never can tell what will occur.

Thanks for dropping by

Question 1

David Moyes started out very well, rescuing Everton from relegation and taking the team into Europe. But unlike SAF, he became stale and his teams lacked imagination. Paid more than many of the players, it looked like he was simply doing an adeqaute job for an excellent wage, not trying to create a dynasty. He set the bar low so he could always claim to have met expectations. You're beginning to see this already. One other point is that Moyes likes to stick with the tried and tested and doesn't like to take risks. This is why Barkley was farmed out to the lower leagues and Stones never got the chance. This year, all that has changed.

Question 2

His treatment of Everton as he moved to United was despicable. Contrast RM, who said very positive things about Wigan. Moyes, on the other hand, started brown-nosing to his new bosses: "I was always glad to get out of OT alive", "Everton should allow Baines and Fellaini to leave at half-price for the good of their careers", and so on. While someone suggested he'll get a positive reaction in the upcoming game, I doubt that. He was given a good send-off and acted poorly, so he can expect a rollicking. The Everton team are going to be very fired up to win. Then again, despite Moyes' negativity, so will the United team.

Question 3

The biggest difference is flexibility, and you saw that against Arsenal. Yes, he plays a more attractive passing style, but more important is flexibility. It's not just hoof-ball, run the wing, and cross. The tactics vary from game to game depending on the opponents' perceived weaknesses. And RM is the master of the tactical substitution. Further, RM is willing to give his players a chance and the freedom to make mistakes. You only get the very best out of players when you allow them to fail.

One other point I would make is that RM is looking at the long term. Most managers, given money to spend, would blow it all on famous names. Not RM. He's investing in our facilities and current players, to get more out of what we have. He's also creating a path for the younger players to make it into the first team. To me, that's a wise long-term approach.

Question 4

Lukaku is Everton's top scorer this season, so he's important, and there's no doubt that RM tries to take advantage of his size and power. In the end, though, players fit the strategy and not vice versa. So, I wouldn't say that the team would play much different if our lead strike was very different in style.

Question 5

They're not well enough known, so I wouldn't really know. ;)

Question 6

Last season, I supported Wigan. The truth is that I really supported RM, because he's far and away the best manager in the English game (even better than SAF - sorry). So, when he moved to Everton, I was excited. They are a team rich in history, with fantastic fans, and considerably more resources than Wigan. Still, Everton are not a team that's prepared to buy their way into success, so what we win we genuinely earn. With that in mind, of course I believe that RM is the right manager for Everton.

Question 7

This will be a chance to prove the difference between the two managers: flexibility versus solidity. United have excellent players, but they've struggled to fit into the Moyes way. Everton players, on the other hand, have really embraced the Martinez approach, and he's got them fired up. Let's see which is the better approach: building a flexible team with net negative spend (Everton) or building a solid team by buying expensive "stars" (United).

Question 8

Thank you Bryan Oviedo!

Question 9

This is going to be another exciting game, like playing Arsenal but against a team that's currently in better form. I would go for a 2-1 win to Everton.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Question 1

I've been watching football long enough to remember when you were shite and were relegated, when you were mediocre and we were brilliant and wished we could play you every week through to the inception of the Premier League and the riches initial mediocre shared success with Arsenal in the early years of the Premier League was able to bring you. It could have all gone one way or the other for you and you could have dropped like a stone like, say, Wolves, through the divisions to rock bottom (twice) but the pendulum swung the other way once Fergie got his act together after his initial four or five years, so fair play to you. It could have been different, it isn't, and that about sums it up. At times you've been brilliant, others boring and grinding results out, week in week out. As for Moyes, he stayed at Everton 2 years too long but we are where we're meant to be and so is he. The fickle among your fan base would do well to remember Fergie was no success in his early days and the sack was a consideration so why do you expect any different from Moyes, or maybe that's just the media. Keep your hopes high and your expectations low with Moyes and you won't end up disappointed.

Question 2

Nothing to forgive. He is no longer Everton's manager so what he does and says now is irrelevant and of no interest.

Question 3

Yes. Martinez instils confidence whereas Moyes is too cautious. When you went 4-0 up at Newcastle he would have been shitting a brick because you should have been back defending the 2 and 3 nil!

Question 4

I don't think Lukaku uses his physicality to its full potential because he doesn't need to. He is surrounded by good players and uses, what seems to be, a very good awareness and positional sense to find himself space to be effective. He has pace and power and uses it when he needs to.

Question 5

Phil Neville! ;) I don't hate any of them but Jones will never make a footballer as long as he has a hole in his arse and Scholes was always good for a laugh watching him trying to run and tackle, either at the same time or independently - he had a couple of seasons where he was really good at shooting and long-passing and that was about it.

Question 6

The jury was out at the start but he's certainly made it entertaining as well as possible so he'll do for me. He both sounds and behaves (interviews) like he really knows his stuff and is someone who should not be underestimated.

Question 7

Much the same as any other game, really. I want Everton to win same as I want us to beat Fulham or Sunderland. I was more pissed off losing 1-0 to Sunderland than I would be if we lost 1-0 to you. If we beat you I just see it as 3 points for us, not that we are taking anything away from you, even if that's how the media portray it. The reaction of some of your fans and the media when we beat you is funny, to be honest - you need to get over yourselves every once in a while so Everton are good for you!

Question 8

Can't pick just one, there have been many, for different reasons: 5-0 1984, 3-1 1985, 3-1 1986, 3-2 1989, 2-3 1995, 2-3 2003, 3-4 2004, 3-3 2010, 4-4 2012.............

Question 9

I haven't got a clue. Low scoring draw or we'll batter you!?

Question 1

Don't really give a shit about any other clubs to be honest..funny to see the downfall this season of united but that's just because it's always nice to see a giant fall so nothing personal there. Can't tend to stick the arrogance of your fan base though. Being 27 my generation hasn't really known anything but Man Utd success and that's made the United fans of my age arrogant and spoiled.

Question 2

I wasn't as anti-moyes as a lot round here but his attitude since he left has been shocking. So fuck him.

Question 3

Such a different man. These players believe in him. I can't remember any goal celebrations when players would run to moyes and hug him. The general approach of the man in interviews is so much different too. Class act. Not an excuse maker. Not negative. And he sometimes leaves a player up from corners!!!

Question 4

Not one bit. If the lad one day realises how big he is then he'll be a frightening player. As said Naismith is more physical!

Question 5

Cleverley. Purely because he's shit and stealing a living and place at international level too.

Question 6

After the way we turned up in the biggest game of the season against Arsenal I am convinced. Wasn't my first choice as a manager and I thought we'd be looking at mid-table wilderness for a while. Always happy to be proven wrong though.

Question 7

The atmosphere is always amazing. But in my lifetime it's usually meant a loss sadly so never really enjoyed them that much!

Question 8

3-3...2 goals in injury time. Never saw it coming and the place was mental when the 3rd went in!

Question 9

4-0 ;)

Either that or you'll do us 2-1 or summat. If the ground is rocking as it was vs Arsenal and we play the same I can see us absolutely crushing your defence. Just gotta keep Wayne and co. quiet!

Question 1

I can't deny i'm thoroughly enjoying Man Utd's fall from grave. They've been hugely successul and of course received plenty of hatrid and jealousy from most supporters in that time. I think it's a good thing for them, chatting to Man utd supporting friends of my age (30) most don't remember anything but success while those older remember the harder times. In every fan it's good to see some tougher times and sure makes you appreciate the success when it inevitably comes back.

Moyes hasn't found it easy, he wasn't left the best team by any means but he has found it hard it seems to motivate the team the same way that Ferguson managed to and hasn't always come across the best in his interviews. Too much complaining about luck, and referee's being against him at times. It'll be interesting to see if they stick with him and allow him to spend big in the summer, I think they will but won't be surprised if they don't.

Question 2

Never had anything against him. I felt he left at the right time, he turned us from a relegation side to a side competing for European places but apart from that 1 season we never managed to break into the top 4. Of course funds were always very limited for us but I felt something new was required to at least give us a fresh perspective.

Question 3

He seems to have given the team a lot of confidence. Where as Moyes often highlighted what we were missing (squad depth/players/top players) Martinez focuses on the positives and always goes into games no matter who against saying that we can win them. The players seem equally to play with that same confidence. Individually he seems to manage players well also. Of course he has also changed the way we play to some extent with a stronger emphasis on passing from the bag and controlling possession. This hasn't worked all the time with us plodding too much at times without penetrating teams but this does seem to be improving all the time and our counter attack game looks top quality also as was seen against Arsenal.

Question 4

I wouldn't say so. He's obviously made a difference in that you can rely on him to score goals but I don't think we really play much differently with him in the team to if we had someone else there.

Question 5

Don't hate any United players.

Question 6

Brilliant, as said in earlier question the confidence he has instilled in the team works wonders, he comes across very well, rarely plays the blame game unlike far too many other managers and is definitely the right man to take us forward. I hope he can get us that Champions league spot, this year is turning into a huge opportunity and I'd be delighted if we can take it. Next season would be a real challenge but one that every Evertonian would look forward to.

Question 7

With my memory being only of Utd being a top side competing for titles it is always a real challenge and I enjoy seeing us come up against those sides. Man Utd even in their current position will get more coverage than we do and it's a great game to win. I've seen Everton play Man utd 3 times and we haven't lost any of them. (i'm going this season also!)

Question 8

It's between 2, when we won the FA Cup and I experienced Everton's last glory of winning a trophy at Wembley. I couldn't see the goal happen properly but loved the excitement and the bitter remarks from the Utd fans to me on the tube afterwards!

the other would be the epic 3-3 draw at Goodison in 2010. To go from 1-0 up to 3-1 down in what had been a pretty tight match was awful. From then on the game looked dead and buried and many around me were leaving but an injury time onslaught saw us bag 2 goals in 2 minutes and almost score a winner as the whistle blew was quality viewing.

Question 9

I think we'll win.

Not really sure on scoreline, Utd have had some improved performances of late and it won't be easy.

2-1 Everton - Lukaku and Naismith

Edited by FairWooney

Question 1

I think your squad has been horribly exposed following the departure of Fergie. A lot of your games I watched last season I would think to myself "how are these guys winning the league?". I don't mean that to sound so insulting, it's more a testament to the managerial abilities of Fergie who was just a specialist at grinding out games and getting the 3 points. His departure has removed that effect and I think we're seeing a more realistic return from your current squad, who IMO aren't that shit-hot.

As far as Moyes goes he lost all my respect when he bid insultingly for Baines + Fellaini. He was a good manager but his negative mindset limits what he can achieve. Maybe that will change over time at United (if he's given the chance), but I wouldn't take him back here given what Martinez has showed our squad is capable of.

Question 2

No. He knew very well how much condescending rubbish this club has to put up with from the media and the United's, Chelsea's City's of the Premier League. Fans and managers in particular seem so quick to write us off, and Moyes knew that better than anyone. When he came in with that bid for Fellaini and Baines it was a right slap in the face to all the fans and everyone else apart of Everton, and especially given the dignified send off he received at Goodison that day vs West Ham, I don't think I'll ever forgive him.

Question 3

The style is unquestionably better. Baines and Fellaini seemed the focal points of everything we did going forward last season. Credit to Moyes, he did a decent job to get us to 6th given how one-dimensional it was looking back. As I've said earlier, Moyes was negative minded, and he was happy to sit back and protect 1-0 leads against relegation threatened teams at home. Martinez goes all guns blazing to get the three points. Again, credit to Moyes for getting us to 6th last season given those tactics, but I prefer Martinez attitude.

Question 4

Not really. More his skill and power on the ball. He gets fed a lot to do his thing, he makes great runs and certainly knows how to finish. Victor Anichebe I think was a player whose physical presence was utilised, because he was just so strong and so good at turning defenders and getting a shot away, but I think Lukaku's game is a lot more finesse based.

Question 5

Probably Van Persie. I think the way he left Arsenal was very distasteful. He claimed to be a life-long Gunner fan, and decided to call the quits because he didn't like how Wenger did things financially. Had he stuck around another season he would have been there to see him spend some money once the stadium was paid off, and he could have been fed by Ozil. Arsenal might have stayed in the title race a bit longer this season if he had of stayed.

Question 6

Definitely. A few weeks ago I thought all hope was lost and we'd have to settle for 6th/7th, but he's never given up on 4th and obviously drilled it into the players that they're more than capable of pulling it off.

Question 7

A hell of a lot more now than it did last season. I suppose it used to be (along with games against City, Chelsea, Arsenal) a game where I just wanted the boys to prove that they're not an average team because the club doesn't have stacks of money. Now Moyes is there and I want him to be humiliated at Goodison for his patronising bid in the summer window. The way Fellaini's ego seemed to get in the way a bit also makes me want him to suffer a loss at Goodison, to show him that the grass isn't always greener.

Question 8

As a relatively new fan to the game (only started supporting end of 2011) I'd have to say either the 4-4 draw or the 1-0 win earlier this season. The draw was just classic never-say-die fighting spirit, the 1-0 win obviously a big moment in Everton's recent history. Oviedo's goal is something I'll never forget, and it was a massive statement from Martinez to achieve something in one game that Moyes couldn't do in 11, in beating you at Old Trafford.

Question 9

I think we'll get up in a very close one. Goodison will be absolutely rocking, and such a hostile place for Fellaini and Moyes. I do believe that United will return to the top of the league sooner or later, but I can't see you doing much in the next five games.

Question 1

My thoughts on Manchester United this season is that this sort of season has been coming for a couple of years and that Ferguson was the big reason behind how you still managed to stay at the top. Maybe this season will teach some of your fans a little bit of humility. And David Moyes? You're welcome to him as far as I'm concerned. I'd wanted him gone for at least two season because he'd gone horribly stale. We're both better off without each other.

Question 2

I'm not sure there's anything to forgive really, but at the same time I won't be forgetting how he's acted towards the club that gave him the platform to make a name for himself.

Question 3

There is absolutely no doubt that Martinez has improved the way we play. Moyes did get us playing some good football, but the key word there is some. It wasn't a consistent thing but under Martinez it's what we try to do every single game. The main way Martinez and Moyes differ is that Martinez is a proactive manager whereas Moyes is a very reactive manager. Then there's the fact that Moyes concentrates on the opposition and how they can harm his team, but Martinez concentrates on how we can hurt the opposition. Oh and Moyes is dour and negative while Martinez is nothing but positive. Let's just say they're polar opposites.

Question 4

No I don't. He hasn't learnt to use his physical strength to his advantage properly yet, and even if he had it's not how we utilise him because of the style of Martinez has implemented.

Question 5

I don't have one.

Question 6

I'll be honest; I was wary about whether he was the right man for the job when he was first appointed but he's proven that wariness to be unfounded. He's been amazing for us and I do think he's the right manager to get us into the Champions League.

Question 7

It's usually just a normal game really. But seeing as Moyes is your manager now it means a lot more, I want a win so much more.

Question 8

My favourite game, by far, was Rooney's first return to Goodison Park after signing for your lot and Duncan Ferguson headed home for a 1-0 win. Goodison under the floodlights, the best part of 40K angry Evertonians - the best atmosphere I've ever been a part of, just magic.

Question 9

1-0 to us.

Question 1

I liked Moyes at Everton but I do think that he achieved everything with us. We were a team trying to qualify for Europa league each season. Man United is a massive club and to replace SAF, well that was going to be a tough test for any one to do. Although I don't like saying it I think United are finally finding some form. They need to buy players in the summer to be competing for top 4 again, you have an aging squad and need quality players. Success will come again though, United are too big of a club to not be in the champions league but one season won't hurt them.

Question 2

I am in two minds about this, the fact that it was rumored last season that United were going to bid 15-20 million for Baines when SAF was in charge. Then Moyes comes in and bids 18 million for two players and then his improved bid was 24 million. (Something along those lines). That is what hurt as he knew how valuable those two players were to Everton. If you asked any toffee supporter I think they will recognize the work he did at Everton and transforming the club again into what it is today.

Question 3

He has definitely improved the way we play. I can't remember the last time we scored 3 goals in the last four games. I admired Martinez at Wigan and thought he was a good manager but even I didn't think he would do as good of a job as he has done at Everton. He gets the full potential out of players, look at Barkley, Stones. Under Moyes Barkley never really got a game but under Martinez he is playing week in week out and is showing his quality. Also Coleman and Baines we are benefiting as well. Just the way we play nowadays. We play attractive football, passing it along the ground, patient and quick tempo. This is what every Everton fan was wanting under Moyes.

Question 4

He has definitely made the difference, what a signing by Martinez. When you see him play his presence and the way he can bulldoze over defenders. Lukaku isn't the complete product, his passing is terrible and his touch isn't great but what he does have is pace, skill, strength. Give him time and he will score 20 goals a season and have those other qualities. Chelsea fans were calling out for Jose to play him and were gutted when he came to Everton on loan so what does that say about the big man.

Question 5

I don't think I have a hated United player per say, I mean a lot would say Rooney from what he did after he scored against us by kissing the badge but apart from that no other players bother me that much.

Question 6

Yeah Martinez is a great manager, like I said even I didn't think our season would go the way it has done. I didn't think we would finish out the top 10 but I did think it would be a top 7 finish again. He seems to have got the players believing again and we now fear no team and the spirit itself seems to be higher than ever. I don't think I have ever seen us bounce back so many times from a defeat.

Question 7

This game coming up means an awful lot to an Everton fan. This is Moyes coming back to Goodison and we want to win. We want to have the rights to say to Moyes look what you're missing! :)

Question 8

There are many games that stick in my mind, the 3-0 win at home to United. 3-3 draw and the 4-4 draw are all games to remember. Then there is the game this season where we beat United at Old Trafford for the first time in 21 years.

Question 9

My prediction is going to be a 2-2 draw. Everton have a good home record but United have the best away record in the league. It is going to be a tough test for both teams anyway.

Question 1

I have never had any animosity against Manchester United, matter of fact, I probably hate West Ham and Newcastle a lot more than I would United. As for David Moyes, I am thankful for the work he did for Everton but his departure has left a sour taste in my mout.

Question 2

Nothing to forgive really, I believe he let the prestige of being United's manager get to his head and began taking shots at Everton. He is now the manager of another team and that's that.

Question 3

He has definitely tinkered the squad and has us playing better this year. The main difference between Martinez and Moyes is that he is so much more positive than Moyes. Many times I had to live through Moyes bringing in a negative sub when we had a 1 goal lead. Martinez however will push toward increasing that lead. Another thing that Bobby brings is that he has us focused on our style of play and building on what we do well and improving what we don't. Moyes on the other hand would tailor his style toward what the opposing squad does and that left us fans frustarted many times.

Question 4

Without a doubt, Lukaku has been the best attacking force that I have seen on Everton (have only been a fan since 2009). He went through a dry spell before his injury but upon his return, he has come back hungry and has scored many goals for us but more importantly, has improved his link up play that has led to many more attacks from us

Question 5

I don't hate any United players. Being a Yank, some of my friends think that I dislike Chicharito but in reality, I'm probably one of his biggest fans compared to them. He is a great poacher and is constantly on the move. Not to mention he has some blazing speed, it's been unfortunate not seeing him get many games this season. I see him leaving United in search for 1st team action.

Question 6

Martinez was initally my 2nd choice to replace Moyes but I am now in love with his style of play. I was blown away when he smoked us in the FA Cup last year and that was only a taste of what he can do with the right players. I hope he sticks around for many years and continues improving the squad.

Question 7

It's a big game definitely. Many of my friends are United fans and they are happy that I am not a bandwagon fan and root for a team that has given them many a good games. I am not going to lie and say that this game means a bit more especially this year given that Moyes is now your manager but at the same time, I am more worried about us playing well in our chase for 4th place this year.

Question 8

Definitely a toss up between the 4-4 game and the one earlier this year. While the 4-4 game was end to end and had us coming back many times, our win at OT this year had us get the monkey off our back. Also the fact that a fellow Central American (I am Latino) Oviedo scoring the winner after playing wonderfully in place of Baines only made it that much more sweeter.

Question 9

I am a pretty superstitious person and picking a score/winner would go against that. Having said that, we have beaten United once already and if we want to continue challenging Arsenal for 4th place, a win here is a must.

Thanks for coming to the forums man.

Question 1

Stuck with Moyes, stuck with Moyes Man United,

Stuck with Moyes, stuck with Moyes I say,

Stuck with Moyes, stuck with Moyes Man United,

Playing football the negative way!

Says it all for me really, I have the greatest respect for what he did in his first years but I like many others got suckered into believing we were doing the very best we could with his negative tactics, mentality and general self.

Question 2

I forgave him the second he got put in his place at old trafford then started moaning about us being a disgrace, the Evertonian venom was ok for him to stand behind but he cried like a baby when he was on the receiving end. Unlucky Davey ur not one of us anymore and it's sad cos we treat our ex players and managers with so much respect until they act like cunts.

Question 3

Most definitely he has showed us a group of players can play football against anyone, I grew up in an era where it was believed the 'dog's of war' mentality was a must against the top teams. Roberto has proven that playing football gets better results!

Question 4

No he is a talented kid but play wise we have carried him for large parts of the season, his goal threat cannot be questioned tho. Big potential, big Rom!

Question 5

Don't really hate any of them, I've always had a healthy respect for United. Think RVP is a bad cunt for thinking the grass was greener like but thats just a general dislike of the attitude of some superstars.

Question 6

I think he's the man to take the next step I was a sceptic at first but now I'm sold big big close season though we need to sign up the right players and if not make some solid loans to keep us playing at this level.

Question 7

Not a lot lately, it used to be a game I feared then a game I looked forward to abusing Rooney but I don't look for the united game on the fixture list I look for the Derby.

Question 8

This comes down to Duncan Ferguson, it has to be his final game against United when he scored the header I've never wanted to kiss a man so much the atmosphere was electric.

Question 9

Dry bumming for united.

• 2 weeks later...

These are great responses guys. I left you all to you own devices so that you can respond in peace instead of having a Manchester United fan lurking in the background. Suffice to say, with the match coming up on Sunday the 20th, the blog will be published before with the responses. All responses that are chosen will of course be credited via your usernames to thank you all. Secondly, the blog will be linked here so that you can all have a read. Will see you around chaps.

I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who participated in the Opposition Survey from United Reds. We do apologise for not including responses from everyone, however, I have linked your site to the thread. Many thanks once again and here is a link. Should you wish to tweet to other Everton fans on Twitter, then please feel free to do so. United Reds.

http://www.unitedreds.net/threads/opposition-survey-everton-away-20-4-14.921/#post-25798

Guest Nikica

Wow! Have you guys seen the angry responses on there? You say that some of the members there migrated from Redcafe...Redcafe is an absolute cesspool and most of the posters there know fuck all about football, so no real surprise to see some morons on your site. I remember 'Irwinwastheking' - he's an absolutely terrible poster who knows fuck all about football and thinks the sun shines out of the average Jonny Evans's arse. Did you know he was banned from Redcafe because he felt anyone who abused Man United players should have been removed from the site? What a clueless, precious twat. For whatever reason he clearly feels inferior because he's an out of towner - this leads to him overcompensating on the 'top red' front so that nobody accuses him of being a glory hunter (which he is, of course).

As for these idiots calling Everton fans 'small-time, bitter cunts'. I will tell you what's really small-time: hating Real Madrid for years and preferring Barca, yet doing a u-turn when the latter embarrass your club in front of the world. Yeah, I remember the 'Barcelona are a disgusting football team thread' which emerged on Redcafe in the aftermath of the two CL Finals. The bitterness was pouring out of you all. You accuse other fanbases of being bitte yet you are by far the worst. All borne of envy and hatred that Barca (a vastly superior Barca team to any team in Man United's history, by the way) destroyed you in those two finals. It's also pretty ironic given the long list of cheating slime that's played for United in the PL era. And don't get me started on the double standards of laughing off possible favouritism towards United in the PL yet entertaining the idea of corruption in Barca's favour in the CL (this despite the fact that Barca had more decisions go against them in the CL than United ever had in the PL, pound for pound).

Man City and Liverpool fans are absolutely correct about what self-entitled cunts many Man United fans are. Those United supporting mates I reference earlier, by the way? They tell me that Redcafe is a joke of a site and doesn't represent true United fans in the slightest. I bet none of you pricks have ever heard of John Henry Davies or James Gibson, have you? Your shit club wouldn't even exist right now if not for outside investment - we all know why City fans call you the 'rags' - because you didn't have a fucking pot to piss in until those guys saved you. As for your PL 'success' - it only came about because you were in the right place at the right time to capitalise on Sky money. Barca won as many European Cups in that five year spell as United have in their history (and more in total), mainly because of Ferguson's tactical naivete in Europe, and the fact that the CL refs didn't bend over backwards for United.

I'm not having this ex-Redcafe swamp dwelling slime like Irwin and Iczster slate the fuck out of a decent club like Everton, and call guys on here whom I like and respect 'bitter, plastic cunts'. Even the dicks on Redcafe thought they were too much ffs, what does that say about them? All that misinformed nonsense about Everton on that thread is a fucking embarrassment and sums up how clueless they are about football.

From the top of the club right down to the fans, you're small-time pricks who despise when another team is better than you. You've dined out on Munich for years, playing the pity card whilst simultaneously treating the survivors like vermin, paying Cantona his match fee from their charity match fund. You're a disgusting organisation and if any club is plastic filth and small-time, it's you lot. You'd be fucking nowhere right now if it wasn't for the sickening capitalist spike in football and your champagne socialist manager's bully boy tactics, so wind your fucking necks in you thick cunts.

Sorry lads, but all of this really needed to be said.

Edited by Nikica

Guest Nikica

Oh, and as for all the 'shoestring budget' shite, anyone who's read soccernomics knows that the correlation is between league position and wage bill, not league position and transfer fees. Other than a few overachieving and underachieving years, Moyes generally finished on par relative to wage bill. Also, he did spend a fair bit so enough with the 'shoestring budget, miracle worker' pish you bitter cunts. Stop believing everything the clueless English media tell you you fucking sheep. It's far harder to achieve success playing good football a la Martinez, than it is by playing the shit on a stick that Moyes is famous for.

So you can stop propagating that ill-informed 'miracle worker' myth. Try educating yourselves before talking shite.

And what's your obsession with loan signings? You didn't mind Martinez exploiting the loan system when you were sending shite like Cleverley to him at Wigan. If Everton were tenth and you were sat atop the league you wouldn't give a shit about the loan signings - you're just bitter and looking for anything you can find to put Everton down. It's pathetic. Try being men and giving other teams credit for once.

Many of your players and staff are average as all fuck - Cleverley, Jones, Welbeck, Evans, Smalling, Rafael, Valencia, Hernandez, Fellaini, Anderson, Fletcher, P Neville, Moyes, Round etc - all overhyped nothing players and average staff. Vidic, Evra, Van Persie, Rio - all past it. Just accept that you're mediocre and without Ferguson's will and bullying you're being exposed for the shite that you are. We all know you've been playing shite football for the last five years anyway - I've seen enough of you to know that.

Couldn't stop laughing when Ferguson tried to play 442 with the likes of Giggs in the engine room against Barca - twice. Tactically inept.

"What is astonishing is that they think RM is the messiah already, using a team inherited from Moyes, not even 1 season and a bunch of fucking loan players. Lets see where they are in a couple of seasons time."

This guy has no clue of how to analyse football. Absolutely none. What a troglodyte.

Edited by Nikica

Wow! Have you guys seen the angry responses on there? You say that some of the members there migrated from Redcafe...Redcafe is an absolute cesspool and most of the posters there know fuck all about football, so no real surprise to see some morons on your site. I remember 'Irwinwastheking' - he's an absolutely terrible poster who knows fuck all about football and thinks the sun shines out of the average Jonny Evans's arse. Did you know he was banned from Redcafe because he felt anyone who abused Man United players should have been removed from the site? What a clueless, precious twat. For whatever reason he clearly feels inferior because he's an out of towner - this leads to him overcompensating on the 'top red' front so that nobody accuses him of being a glory hunter (which he is, of course).

As for these idiots calling Everton fans 'small-time, bitter cunts'. I will tell you what's really small-time: hating Real Madrid for years and preferring Barca, yet doing a u-turn when the latter embarrass your club in front of the world. Yeah, I remember the 'Barcelona are a disgusting football team thread' which emerged on Redcafe in the aftermath of the two CL Finals. The bitterness was pouring out of you all. You accuse other fanbases of being bitte yet you are by far the worst. All borne of envy and hatred that Barca (a vastly superior Barca team to any team in Man United's history, by the way) destroyed you in those two finals. It's also pretty ironic given the long list of cheating slime that's played for United in the PL era. And don't get me started on the double standards of laughing off possible favouritism towards United in the PL yet entertaining the idea of corruption in Barca's favour in the CL (this despite the fact that Barca had more decisions go against them in the CL than United ever had in the PL, pound for pound).

Man City and Liverpool fans are absolutely correct about what self-entitled cunts many Man United fans are. Those United supporting mates I reference earlier, by the way? They tell me that Redcafe is a joke of a site and doesn't represent true United fans in the slightest. I bet none of you pricks have ever heard of John Henry Davies or James Gibson, have you? Your shit club wouldn't even exist right now if not for outside investment - we all know why City fans call you the 'rags' - because you didn't have a fucking pot to piss in until those guys saved you. As for your PL 'success' - it only came about because you were in the right place at the right time to capitalise on Sky money. Barca won as many European Cups in that five year spell as United have in their history (and more in total), mainly because of Ferguson's tactical naivete in Europe, and the fact that the CL refs didn't bend over backwards for United.

I'm not having this ex-Redcafe swamp dwelling slime like Irwin and Iczster slate the fuck out of a decent club like Everton, and call guys on here whom I like and respect 'bitter, plastic cunts'. Even the dicks on Redcafe thought they were too much ffs, what does that say about them? All that misinformed nonsense about Everton on that thread is a fucking embarrassment and sums up how clueless they are about football.

From the top of the club right down to the fans, you're small-time pricks who despise when another team is better than you. You've dined out on Munich for years, playing the pity card whilst simultaneously treating the survivors like vermin, paying Cantona his match fee from their charity match fund. You're a disgusting organisation and if any club is plastic filth and small-time, it's you lot. You'd be fucking nowhere right now if it wasn't for the sickening capitalist spike in football and your champagne socialist manager's bully boy tactics, so wind your fucking necks in you thick cunts.

Sorry lads, but all of this really needed to be said.

Don't beat around the bush. Tell us what you really think.

Edited by Cornish Steve

Guest Nikica

Hahaha. They really are bitter cunts though. Those two idiots in particular spewed total shite when they were on Redcafe. I was hoping they'd show some class but that was too much to ask.

Hahaha. They really are bitter cunts though. Those two idiots in particular spewed total shite when they were on Redcafe. I was hoping they'd show some class but that was too much to ask.

see you had some fun, Nik? :lol:

Let's not forget that there are idiots like that at every club, and that they don't represent the majority of supporters. Also, Utd are hurting so I imagine anger might be getting in the way at the moment