IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

I've just read about the terrorist attack in Port El Kantaoui

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/26/tunisia-resort-gun-attack-britons-believed-to-be-caught-up-in-incident

I'm really surprised by this, I was there a few years ago and it was such a lovely place.

A girl I know was 5 hotels down the beach. Fortunately she is ok, thoughts to all families affected.

Dreadful; was listening to it unfold in the car yesterday, must've been terrifying.

However, got to say this sort of thing winds me up (from David Cameron)...

"We are working with the Tunisian authorities to identify the final number of British casualties but I'm afraid that the British public need to be prepared for the fact that many of those killed were British,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33297440

For me personally, if I'm not a friend or relation, what does the nationality of the dead matter? Is it somehow more tragic because they're British? Why do I need to "prepare" myself? To feel sadder presumably; but as far as I'm concerned every human life has equal value whatever their nationality.

There are some pictures for you here, Mike:

http://imgur.com/gallery/czx0j

They asked me to be project manager on that Louis but I felt it wasn't much of a challenge :).

The big challenge today was my wife telling me she's packed the suitcase, asking me to help her do it up and then weighing it to find it was five kilos overweight. Why do women need to take their entire wardrobe when all they need is tiny weightless stuff?

With a bit of loving advice from me we knocked off seven kilos no problem; although sadly she now has only thirty-six outfits to choose from :mellow:.

For our USofA friends. Granddaughter, who is 20 today, is on her summer break from Uni. She has a job in the States as a lifeguard at NJ Camp Jaycee., she is helping out in other areas too. She is a qualified lifeguard and swam for GB as a junior. I know that the camp is a summer camp for children and adults who have disabilities but is it a well known facility in the States? I would appreciate any views.

Her brother (16) is a rabid Everton supporter and goes to quite a few games (with my son) both home and away, even though they live in Nottingham.

For our USofA friends. Granddaughter, who is 20 today, is on her summer break from Uni. She has a job in the States as a lifeguard at NJ Camp Jaycee., she is helping out in other areas too. She is a qualified lifeguard and swam for GB as a junior. I know that the camp is a summer camp for children and adults who have disabilities but is it a well known facility in the States? I would appreciate any views.

Her brother (16) is a rabid Everton supporter and goes to quite a few games (with my son) both home and away, even though they live in Nottingham.

I've never heard of it John but I'm not from the NY/NJ area. Looked it up online and looks like a wonderful organization. I hope your granddaughter enjoys her time here in the states!

Off to the airport any time now to give the Greek economy a helping hand. WiFi all over the place though so no need for tears, I'll still be on from time to time, home on 22nd July. Cheerio.

Good luck, I know that euro zone vote or verdict or whatever is happening soon, I hope they don't riot near you if it goes south.

This is currently doing the rounds.

It's two American cops who arrest someone for stealing from a local supermarket. They find him in the toilets of a restaurant. He calmly walks outside and then pulls a gun out on the female cop, the male copy pushes him away and then the cops both shoot him (presumably dead). It's surprisingly how quick it all happens and how quickly the police respond to the situation.

http://youtubedoubler.com/fTEL

It's later found that it was BB gun but as the videos show there's little time to react.

Don't blame them in fairness.

He KNOWS full well, that if you pull a gun out on a cop, without informing them that you have one on your persons, then you're gonna be shot.

That's how they work. That's what they'll do.

Self defense.

That case will get a lot more support than some of the horrendous examples where guys/girls were quite evidently running away or not armed at all. That one Louis, unfortunately is what happens.

If guns can be bought at the same time as a pack of skittles, expect that people will carry and the cops have the right to defend themselves. Merica' fuck yeah.

Don't blame them in fairness.

He KNOWS full well, that if you pull a gun out on a cop, without informing them that you have one on your persons, then you're gonna be shot.

That's how they work. That's what they'll do.

Self defense.

I agree he asked for it, but did they have to put ten/twenty rounds into him? Two or three would have done the job, why the need to keep shooting after he's down?

Merica' fuck NO.

Edited it for you there :) great point ten I have a lot of opinions on all the gun deaths and police brutality and murders here but I just don't have the energy to Suss them out on here. It's sad because they are so many people on here from other countries and those countries just don't have gun problems, we do and yet people feel it's their right to carry and store weapons in the USA. We should look abroad and see what has worked and emulate that, but we are America, ignorant and arrogant so it will be a phony law and more guns for everyone. Smh fml

I agree he asked for it, but did they have to put ten/twenty rounds into him? Two or three would have done the job, why the need to keep shooting after he's down?

Probably not but adrenaline is a scary chemical reaction and with fear added to the mix, your body will do whatever it deems 'fair' at the time. For that cop, he was going to kill them.

Is it right/excusable? No. But it can be justified.

Edited it for you there :) great point ten I have a lot of opinions on all the gun deaths and police brutality and murders here but I just don't have the energy to Suss them out on here. It's sad because they are so many people on here from other countries and those countries just don't have gun problems, we do and yet people feel it's their right to carry and store weapons in the USA. We should look abroad and see what has worked and emulate that, but we are America, ignorant and arrogant so it will be a phony law and more guns for everyone. Smh fml

Problem is, American history was 'founded' with guns. It's heritage. Culture. They couldn't just get rid of them.

It's an issue that certainly needs addressing but the idiots that wave their guns about, know ultimately if they wave it at the wrong people, they may also have their own guns and they may feel threatened.

It's one of the only things I DONT envy about America. Most of it, I love. The gun culture is wrong.

Canada had guns and their crime is similar to first world countries that don't. Guns isn't the problem, it's the nature of American culture and ethics (fox news) that needs addressing.

I'd blame the rags and news here for a lot of crime, especially the riots last year in Liverpool and most places outside of l London.

Problem is, American history was 'founded' with guns. It's heritage. Culture. They couldn't just get rid of them.

It's an issue that certainly needs addressing but the idiots that wave their guns about, know ultimately if they wave it at the wrong people, they may also have their own guns and they may feel threatened.

It's one of the only things I DONT envy about America. Most of it, I love. The gun culture is wrong.

i agree but all cutures were founded upon war except the first culture which was created/evolved from primordial soup (depending on your belief system). but i get your point that guns were prominent and put into the constitution (right to bear arms which people interpret as guns) for that reason.

agree with you pete0 as well. i blame the gun companies too, elsewhere in the world companies have integrity and ethical standards they adhere,to, in america money and greed are king and whether kids schools are being shot up or not gun companies don't care, they just want to sell more and to whom they don't care.

Probably not but adrenaline is a scary chemical reaction and with fear added to the mix, your body will do whatever it deems 'fair' at the time. For that cop, he was going to kill them.

I'd go along with that if it was an ordinary member of the public; but if a big part of your job is to do with carrying/using a lethal weapon I'd have thought it pretty important to know how to use it wisely.

The same officers put into a similar situation with more than one offender (with real guns) would very soon be dead. Inadequate training I think.

I'd go along with that if it was an ordinary member of the public; but if a big part of your job is to do with carrying/using a lethal weapon I'd have thought it pretty important to know how to use it wisely.

The same officers put into a similar situation with more than one offender (with real guns) would very soon be dead. Inadequate training I think.

great point mike. one of the largest critisicisms currently against the US police force is that there is no universal/central methodology or training. Each department runs things/fines/arrests/etc differently and they train (or don't train) differently. There's no "gold Standard" to be held to. Here in New Orleans the police force is so corrupt the citizens say they are worse than the gangsters. It's so bad no one will become a police, they removed the college degree requirement to become an officer. Now you just have to graduate high school to be carrying a weapon and enforcing laws. Very scary.

I'm not sure if it's like that in other countries forum members are in, but it sure causes a lot of "interpretation" of laws and regulations and the like (and not for the betterment of society).

Edited by markjazzbassist

When I saw this news article and the headline "Say no to blackmail", I couldn't help but think of the union leader in the movie 'Brassed Off': "say no to bloody blackmail." He didn't mean it and was obviously pleased that the men voted yes. Just the same here, if you ask me.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33378057

Edited by Cornish Steve

great point mike. one of the largest critisicisms currently against the US police force is that there is no universal/central methodology or training. Each department runs things/fines/arrests/etc differently and they train (or don't train) differently. There's no "gold Standard" to be held to. Here in New Orleans the police force is so corrupt the citizens say they are worse than the gangsters. It's so bad no one will become a police, they removed the college degree requirement to become an officer. Now you just have to graduate high school to be carrying a weapon and enforcing laws. Very scary.

I'm not sure if it's like that in other countries forum members are in, but it sure causes a lot of "interpretation" of laws and regulations and the like (and not for the betterment of society).

Here in Maidenhead we never see a police officer, even in a car. We occasionally see 'community' officers (plastic policemen).

Still, it does indicate that not much happens. Last year we had a police helicopter buzzing the town for about an hour at 3.00.am

keeping most of the town awake. It turned out they were looking for a stolen car. :shaking fist:

Is it right/excusable? No. But it can be justified.

I agree.

In my opinion, one of the scariest things in the world would be to have a gun pointed at you and not know who is behind the barrel. You don't know what that person will do.

I agree.

In my opinion, one of the scariest things in the world would be to have a gun pointed at you and not know who is behind the barrel. You don't know what that person will do.

Absolutely but surely the police should be trained for such a situation, however rare an occurrence it might be.

When I did a couple of parachute jumps thirty-odd years ago they spent about an hour training us for the "mundane" side of it, what's going to happen 99.99% of the time. Then they spent about ten hours over two days training us what to do if you drew a 0.01% straw and were confronted with an equally scary adrenaline moment, so that you knew instinctively what to do and remained as "calm" as possible.

If you're panicked by having a gun pointed at you then you shouldn't be employed to point guns at other people I don't think.