IGNORED

Longest Thread!

Ian

Was in our local bar this afternoon (after visiting a monastery earlier) and a group of bronzed young Italian women came in off the beach wearing what I would describe as string. Wife (no prude) whispered to me, "...fine on the beach but that's a bit much in a bar..."

When I recovered the power of speech I spluttered something like, "I agree" (but I had my figures crossed behind my back). One of them, stood about six feet from me, kept having trouble with her "costume" so was continually making minor adjustments to it to keep herself covered.

Where's a guy supposed to look? Wish I'd had my shades on so I'd have had more options :unsure:!

Youngest son, a computer science major at university, was accepted as a summer intern at a local technology company. The next day, he learned he was called for mandatory jury duty, starting one week into the internship.

He showed up on the Monday morning, and sat there doing nothing for the entire day. The only break was for lunch. The court official asked who earned minimum wage; my son does not. Everyone except him qualified for lunch allowance. He had to buy lunch on my credit card. How ridiculous is that?

Thankfully, the next day, he was told he was not needed and could get back to work. If he'd been called to serve on the jury, he would have spent the summer in court and lost the internship.

Youngest son, a computer science major at university, was accepted as a summer intern at a local technology company. The next day, he learned he was called for mandatory jury duty, starting one week into the internship.

He showed up on the Monday morning, and sat there doing nothing for the entire day. The only break was for lunch. The court official asked who earned minimum wage; my son does not. Everyone except him qualified for lunch allowance. He had to buy lunch on my credit card. How ridiculous is that?

Thankfully, the next day, he was told he was not needed and could get back to work. If he'd been called to serve on the jury, he would have spent the summer in court and lost the internship.

Seems crazy but glad it worked out for him.

I'd love to be on a jury but have never been called up.

I got one weeks jury duty in 1963. Did a lot of sitting about doing nothing. Some of the judges were absolute plonkers, absolutely no connection with the real world.

Too old now!

Edited by johnh

Some years ago I did jury service. spent all week turning up and sitting around for a while before being sent home. Last day I was called into a trial ....

PS we found the defendant not guilty, the judge commended us for a speedy and accurate decision and then sent the guy down anyway, as he had already (unbeknown to us, the jury) admitted to being the driver of the car that had rammed three police cars in his attempts to get away from the crime we had just said he was not guilty of LOL LOL

Some years ago I did jury service. spent all week turning up and sitting around for a while before being sent home. Last day I was called into a trial ....

PS we found the defendant not guilty, the judge commended us for a speedy and accurate decision and then sent the guy down anyway, as he had already (unbeknown to us, the jury) admitted to being the driver of the car that had rammed three police cars in his attempts to get away from the crime we had just said he was not guilty of LOL LOL

LoL

I've just been reading about an upcoming US Court case:

Wife has cancer
Husband and wife decide there's a chance they could have a baby in future

She can no longer produce babies due to cancer

They decide to freeze a fertilised embryo in a medical facility

They have a contract that says the embryo will be destroyed if they divorce.

They divorce

The now ex-wife is suing for those embryos as she wants a child.

Wife has cancer

Husband and wife decide there's a chance they could have a baby in future

She can no longer produce babies due to cancer

They decide to freeze a fertilised embryo in a medical facility

They have a contract that says the embryo will be destroyed if they divorce.

They divorce

The now ex-wife is suing for those embryos as she wants a child.

She signed the contract. No case.

Law will stand in favour of a contractual agreement.

She signed the contract. No case.

Law will stand in favour of a contractual agreement.

Yeah, that's how it looks to me too.

Her lawyer is making the argument that as women can choose whether to have an abortion or not i.e. what goes on in her body, those rights can also extend to what she chooses to put in.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Trial-over-divorcing-couple-s-frozen-embryos-6382260.php

Yeah, that's how it looks to me too.

Her lawyer is making the argument that as women can choose whether to have an abortion or not i.e. what goes on in her body, those rights can also extend to what she chooses to put in.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Trial-over-divorcing-couple-s-frozen-embryos-6382260.php

She would have rights to sue for material assets and/or money but you can't sign a contract agreeing in full to something, then when it happens, kick off because you don't get your way.

Would hate it if she won. Just makes contractual agreements bollocks.

Edit: Taking a really cold view, I agree with the bit in bold IF they were still in her body but she's given consent for them to be extracted, so the contract should stand. She COULD still try naturally, although with limited fertility probability, but that's the risk you take signing that contract. No case for me.

Edited by tenaciousj

Legality of contract aside, if she's lost her ability to have kids and this is her only chance it's very sad if "it" just gets binned. You'd think the husband would have a bit of compassion (though obviously don't know the personal circumstances) even if he wasn't interested in being involved.

My question is: if she does happen to win the case and she has the child, does the father pay child support?

that should be part of the negotiation in my opinion, if anything would help her with the case; let me have children and you don't have to have any responsibility.

It's surreal to see a picture of my youngest son's friend displayed at the BBC website. He was one of the four killed this week by the shooter in Chattanooga. He went to a high school near here. Both he and my son attended the same university, Georgia Southern, and were in ROTC together. They stayed in touch and played online together. Only today did my son learn his friend is one of the dead, and he's rather cut up about it, as you can imagine.

It's surreal to see a picture of my youngest son's friend displayed at the BBC website. He was one of the four killed this week by the shooter in Chattanooga. He went to a high school near here. Both he and my son attended the same university, Georgia Southern, and were in ROTC together. They stayed in touch and played online together. Only today did my son learn his friend is one of the dead, and he's rather cut up about it, as you can imagine.

I first read that as your son being killed, I almost had a heart attack!

That's a shocker|