IGNORED

Darron Gibson

Guest millwallforever

So you want Oviedo in over Gibson.. Lol

Yes I do. The only player I would sacrifice in the midfield for the sake of Gibbo: Hoofit Neville. We should get rid of our two remaining Man Utd rejects.

Edited by millwallforever

Yes I do. The only player I would sacrifice in the midfield for the sake of Gibbo: Hoofit Neville.

We all see it different mate but Oviedo in over Gibson is up there. I haven't seen the game today so I can't comment on his performance but I've seen enough of him to know Oviedo shouldn't be starting in CM ahead of him.

Guest millwallforever

It is not his natural position though. Id have both Osman and Barkley there before Oviedo tbh. Or Pienaar. Play Oviedo infront of Baines instead

Heard of Jonas Thern who switched from winger to central midfielder? On his day he was one of the finest in Europe.

Guest millwallforever

We all see it different mate but Oviedo in over Gibson is up there. I haven't seen the game today so I can't comment on his performance but I've seen enough of him to know Oviedo shouldn't be starting in CM ahead of him.

I know you're a big fan of Gibbo. I think he was a breath of fresh air during the Moyes era; we have moved on since then.

Heard of Jonas Thern who switched from winger to central midfielder? On his day he was one of the finest in Europe.

Lol, I really dont remember him ever being a winger. His son is a winger. Youre probably right but i remember him as the central general that he was. He was never that speedy either. Him and Schwartz sure did boss cm tho.

Guest millwallforever

He's a footballer unlike the water carriers we have in midfield every week.

Scott Gemmill had the twice the footballing brain of a David Batty, yet he was half the player. Perhaps the finest brain in an English midfielder: Ian Bishop. How many caps did he win? In other words: footballing brain vs carrying water is a false dichotomy. Barry and McCarthy play at least one league above Gibson.

Guest millwallforever

Lol, I really dont remember him ever being a winger. His son is a winger. Youre probably right but i remember him as the central general that he was. He was never that speedy either. Him and Schwartz sure did boss cm tho.

He used to be winger for Malmö FF as a young man. Everton were very close to signing him in 1989.

Scott Gemmill had the twice the footballing brain of a David Batty, yet he was half the player. Perhaps the finest brain in an English midfielder: Ian Bishop. How many caps did he win? In other words: footballing brain vs carrying water is a false dichotomy. Barry and McCarthy play at least one league above Gibson.

Another great comparison. The guy needs a steady run in the team and I guarantee (if he can stay fit) he'll dictate our games from start to finish.

Guest millwallforever

Another great comparison. The guy needs a steady run in the team and I guarantee (if he can stay fit) he'll dictate our games from start to finish.

Sorry mate, he ain't that good. Feel free to rub it in if you ever prove me wrong.

Guest millwallforever

I lived in England in 89 and did not know much about allsvenskan. My first real contact with Thern was the terrible 2-1, 2-1, 2-1 1990 wc Italy

I don't recall Sweden's games in 1990, except for the one where Stuart McCall scored.

I don't recall Sweden's games in 1990, except for the one where Stuart McCall scored.

I remember Careca scoring 2 against Sweden.

I also remember that terrible game vs costa rica. Sweden went one up but let two late goals past them. Sweden really should have beaten Costa Rica and probably Scotland too. Should have gone through behind Brazil. But then again, who would have predicted that they would come third in 1994?

Guest millwallforever

I remember Careca scoring 2 against Sweden.

I also remember that terrible game vs costa rica. Sweden went one up but let two late goals past them. Sweden really should have beaten Costa Rica and probably Scotland too. Should have gone through behind Brazil. But then again, who would have predicted that they would come third in 1994?

As far as I can recall, Scotland's victory was thoroughly deserved. If anyone should be blaming themselves for pressing thre self-destruct button, it is the Scots, who were roughly 5 minutes away from making it through to the last 16 - until that infamous Jim Leighton cock-up. I still remember that look on Alex McLeish's face; he would have strangled Leighton there and then if he could get away with it.

Edited by millwallforever

This has to go down as one of the most ridiculous statements ever. The pass before the assist lol. What's next he was closest to the scorer. Unbelievable.

It's the reason Pienaar was so important for us under Moyes. His pass got Baines in who then squared it to the scorer. It basically means he is doing something right and exploiting opportunities. Sometimes it's the pass before that is more important than the assist itself.

It's the reason Pienaar was so important for us under Moyes. His pass got Baines in who then squared it to the scorer. It basically means he is doing something right and exploiting opportunities. Sometimes it's the pass before that is more important than the assist itself.

Lol. If it was a defence splitting pass I'd agree with you partially. But you're trying to build someone up as a creative player who isn't. The majority of those pass before assists where most likely a link from the defence to attack. If you look at other clubs their central midfielders will be top of that too.

Edited by MC11

As far as I can recall, Scotland's victory was thoroughly deserved. If anyone should be blaming themselves for pressing thre self-destruct button, it is the Scots, who were roughly 5 minutes away from making it through to the last 16 - until that infamous Jim Leighton cock-up. I still remember that look on Alex McLeish's face; he would have strangled Leighton there and then if he could get away with it.

Scotland did deserve the win against Sweden, I meant on paper. Sweden should have qualified from the group but they messed it up.

Lol. If it was a defence splitting pass I'd agree with you partially. But you're trying to build someone up as a creative player who isn't. The majority of those pass before assists where most likely a link from the defence to attack. If you look at other clubs their central midfielders will be top of that too.

I didnt say he was a creative player and never have. I'm saying that he takes his opportunities and exploits situations leading to a chance or a goal which is a part of how well he can read the game.

Anyone see Baines pick the ball up on the middle and run through three players before playing a forward ball?

That's right must be imagination because Baines hasn't got it in his locker ;-)

Not saying he's better than what we have in mid at the min but could be another option.

Could be a very influential ball player this season could Gibbo. Just stay fit lad!

Watch the Sunderland match mate, I think you might change your mind. All the Hollywood passes were gone, he could only pass 3 yards sideways or backwards, was gassed after 10 minutes on the pitch and for the last 60 minutes of the match was no where to be found. He's a liability in defense as well. Barry tackles hard and plays rough. Gibbo avoids tackling and didn't even look arsed to try and win the ball back. Worst player on the pitch for me.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Yeah definitely not at his best on Sunday.

A lot of short side and backward passing. The times he tried the forward opening passes didn't come off. Seems to be real short of match fitness, which isn't surprising.

Hopefully he'll get a run of games, build up his fitness and do much better. He certainly looks in good shape.

Watch the Sunderland match mate, I think you might change your mind. All the Hollywood passes were gone, he could only pass 3 yards sideways or backwards, was gassed after 10 minutes on the pitch and for the last 60 minutes of the match was no where to be found. He's a liability in defense as well. Barry tackles hard and plays rough. Gibbo avoids tackling and didn't even look arsed to try and win the ball back. Worst player on the pitch for me.

Mark I've seen enough of Gibson to make judgement. As I say I didn't see the game only the highlights. Yes I seen that he fucked up on the edge of the area but that's very rare for him. Unless the injury has knocked him sideways I can't agree he'd not good enough. He was great against Lille.

When he gets a steady run... Which he looks like he will, it will be better time to judge.

Mark I've seen enough of Gibson to make judgement. As I say I didn't see the game only the highlights. Yes I seen that he fucked up on the edge of the area but that's very rare for him. Unless the injury has knocked him sideways I can't agree he'd not good enough. He was great against Lille.

When he gets a steady run... Which he looks like he will, it will be better time to judge.

Nothing wrong with fucking up on the edge of the area mate, Barkleys been doing it at least twice a game since he came back and nobodys said a word about it

He was shocking against Sunderland, awful, and not just the pissing about on the box. The foul Baines had to make should've been sorted earlier by Gibson.

But, its one bad performance and his first start for God knows how long. I'm quite sure that he will get back up to speed given a run, provided a run doesn't cripple him again. I think thats why he wouldn't stick a foot in, he wants to get some game time but there is no way we can carry him like that again.

Nothing wrong with fucking up on the edge of the area mate, Barkleys been doing it at least twice a game since he came back and nobodys said a word about it

Well thats not quite true, I've given him a hard time quite often :)