IGNORED

Darron Gibson

Unsure really, but gun to head yeah, get someone else in. Its much preferable to have someone who doesn't spend his life on the table (although there's no guarantee the new guy wouldn't be the same) and then theres actually an option for the manager to use him.

Martinez managed the lads return to fitness well I thought. I wanted him back straight in, but with his history you have to be careful. Latest injury is just unlucky, but its another unlucky injury after another. After a while, you have to ask if its worth persevering with a sick note or take a chance on a new guy. I'd reluctantly say new guy, who can be younger and cheaper to keep on the books, to groom into the position in 1-2 years time when Barry is gone.

I think consideration needs to be taken as to where the youngsters are at. We have some talent coming through in midfield.

Personally I would like to see Barkley partner McCarthy. A deeper position may make him focus more, which he needs. Besic should be ready for more games next season after an introductory year and full pre season. The likes of Ledson and Green may not be a million miles away.

Why would the manager sign someone and put them on the bench? He hasn't done that with Barry... which is clearly your point.

Besic says hello. Its very clear Barry & McCarthy is his preference.

The whole point being there is other areas of the squad that need addressing first and letting Gibson go would be a mistake.

We require at least £20m spent on the wings (should Mirallas go). A keeper £5m? Two centre backs £10m? (If for cover only) and an additional "decent" striker £10m?

That's £45m without even looking elsewhere, we could do with a cover RB too. I'd even say we need an extra body in midfield without the loss of Gibson.

This can all be achieved without spending big but we'll be in a relegation battle again this time next year.

Besic says hello. Its very clear Barry & McCarthy is his preference.

The whole point being there is other areas of the squad that need addressing first and letting Gibson go would be a mistake.

We require at least £20m spent on the wings (should Mirallas go). A keeper £5m? Two centre backs £10m? (If for cover only) and an additional "decent" striker £10m?

That's £45m without even looking elsewhere, we could do with a cover RB too. I'd even say we need an extra body in midfield without the loss of Gibson.

This can all be achieved without spending big but we'll be in a relegation battle again this time next year.

Besic is long term. His first season, getting used to things, I'd expect to see more of him next season.

A decent keeper is going to be 10-15m if you want a good replacement for Howard ready to walk in.

You seem to skipping around the issue of his injury record. What is the point in keeping him on if he is hardly ever fit?

Besic is long term. His first season, getting used to things, I'd expect to see more of him next season.

A decent keeper is going to be 10-15m if you want a good replacement for Howard ready to walk in.

You seem to skipping around the issue of his injury record. What is the point in keeping him on if he is hardly ever fit?

He done his cruciate, that's a long term unlucky injury.... He's broke a bone this time round. I will not give up on a player who makes is tick. If we are going to let him go for free we need a like for like replacement and they won't come cheap.

The reasoning it's a low risk re-sign, no transfer fee and we know (when fit) he's a top draw player. I also dont trust Martinez in the transfer market

He done his cruciate, that's a long term unlucky injury.... He's broke a bone this time round. I will not give up on a player who makes is tick. If we are going to let him go for free we need a like for like replacement and they won't come cheap.

The reasoning it's a low risk re-sign, no transfer fee and we know (when fit) he's a top draw player. I also dont trust Martinez in the transfer market

I sympathize with his injuries, especially considering how many I've had in the last 15 years. But, he cannot justify his wage and thats my issue. He is not earning buttons here, 2.3m a year is quite a wage to earn sitting on a physio table, getting massages and spas...

Thats my only gripe really. If he was on Alacarazs contract of a rumoured 25k a week, then I would be less fussed. But he's on nearly double and appears just as often.

he needs to play robles for the rest of the season then we will know if we need to spend 10mil on a keeper

but he wont he will play Howard for the rest of the season and we will have learnt nothing and start next season as

we have this.he seems incapable of making a forward thinking decision.

• 2 months later...

I find it baffling when people want rid of all these squad players? Gibson when fit is the best central midfielder at the club by a country mile. Yes "when fit". The issue of wages comes up far too often. There are plenty of players at the club who hardly play fit or not on thousands of pounds a week. That goes for every premier league club. We can't just keep discarding players because of wages - which should all be budgeted for.

I've seen McGeady, Pienaar and Gibson mentioned of late "because of wages". Let's not forget to replace them we'd need to pay a transfer fee plus wages. The three above are decent squad players. Without them the squad looks even thinner.

It's a matter of balancing the team. If he was able to be available for 20+ games a season then he is worth keeping. But for the time he spends out we need to get the available players continuity.

I'm not doubting his ability. Best in game passer we have, but we are creating a swad around his injury pronesness.

Someone has to go. McCarthy is first choice for what he offers us off the ball, Barkley has to be played for the potential he has. We now have cleverley and Barry vying for the other spot. I would have Gibson but his unreliability makes him an expensive bench place/destabiliser.