IGNORED

Darron Gibson

Guest blueboy122

Jesus Christ.

I can't believe how many injuries certain players get.

They are trained athletes who have conditioning coaches etc but they get injured constantly.

Were there this many injuries to players in the 60's, 70's, 80's? Or is it a new trend in football.

Guest blueboy122

its boring now. footballers are like china dolls lately. i think half tge injuries are in their head.

That's what I was thinking, it's ridiculous there are more ferocious contact sports who don't half have the injuries footballers get.

It's because when a footballer gets hit, they get hit by the strongest muscle in the body.

It is a very dangerous sport and injuries are inevitable.

Understandable yes, but it makes you think that when you played when you were younger, how many serious muscle injuries you played through. I played for ten years and didn't miss a game. Fully respect this was only amateur level but it seems the only time you seen the hospital was if your leg was hanging off or something was broken.

If the average footballing career was 30-40 years then I'd agree with all of this, but it makes me question that if some of these players played through some minor injuries, would they still get the 15-20 year career. I'd think so. Or in Gibson's case, 6 month career.

I wonder how many games would be missed if paid by appearance.

great point haf. a lot of contacts in US sports are this way. if an injury ridden player gets a contract it's usually minimal guarnteed money and all incentive based. that way the team doesn't get screwed. it usually works really well for the player because it motivates them to play more which increase the liklihood of a bigger deal.

• 1 month later...

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/everton/transfer-talk/news/martinez-rules-out-phenomenal-gibson-exit_198589.html

Good player, but if we could find someone stupid enough to pay us a couple of million for a crock I'd take it.

Agree he's a good player when fit but he never seems to be fit. Where is he now for example? I know he's injured but is it a long term one? We haven't really had much information about it. He last played against Sunderland in November I believe. He's missed a lot of games again due to injury. Edited by Geth

The injuries are bad but I still think he's our best midfielder in terms of vision & distribution.

"Darron is a phenomenal midfielder. The attributes he brings into the squad, I don't think anyone else has them.

For once I agree with a Martinez statement

The injuries are bad but I still think he's our best midfielder in terms of vision & distribution.

"Darron is a phenomenal midfielder. The attributes he brings into the squad, I don't think anyone else has them.

For once I agree with a Martinez statement

I agree, no one does injuries quite like Darron.

He's the best passer of the ball and that is about it. Tackling - thats besic or mccarthy. Workrate thats mccarthy or Naismith. Goals thats Rom or Nais, skill is mirallas or Barkley.

I agree, no one does injuries quite like Darron.

He's the best passer of the ball and that is about it. Tackling - thats besic or mccarthy. Workrate thats mccarthy or Naismith. Goals thats Rom or Nais, skill is mirallas or Barkley.

Alcaraz? Pienaar? Kone?

:P

Really disappointed in what has become of Gibson. Looked a terrific signing in 11/12 and had a great 12/13 when fit (Our best midfielder that year). But nonstop injuries + one long layoff, as well as his competition for a place now being people like Besic, Barry, and McCarthy rather than Phil Neville, his career has stalled here. Shame, because he has all the tools of a solid midfielder, but I have to think his time here is limited bar an Alan Hutton like career revival.

• 1 month later...

Gibson is a top player - if and when he stays fit. The problem is we need continuity. He can pass a ball better than anyone in the team - Barkley can pass but suffers consistency.

I actually think Gibson will be a good influence on Ross. The issue we have is too many sideways passes without any actual width in the side.