IGNORED

Clint Dempsey

If Ross needs a breather I would be tempted to give Osman a go there, personally I think that's his best position, or even give Naismith a go

I just think we have more pressing areas that need reinforcing and Im expecting money to be tight again

You'd rather have Osman & Naismith than Clint Dempsey? I'll let you think about that for a minute.

Money to be tight? Yes, exactly, another reason why a loan could be a good bit of business....

If Ross needs a breather I would be tempted to give Osman a go there, personally I think that's his best position, or even give Naismith a go

I just think we have more pressing areas that need reinforcing and Im expecting money to be tight again

So do I, but this season Im thinking his best position is the bench. Naismith Id definitely give a go as the AMC but still, like Quinn says, either them or Dempey? No brainer for me.

I really can't see him coming here and his performances in the MLS have been underwhelming. That said, he's definitely better than Osman and Naismith and adds quite a bit of creativity.

His salary is ridiculous at Seattle, so I wonder how much he'd cost.

Edited by TonkaRoost

I think if Mitch wards name krept on this thread someone would give reasons as to why this would be s good signing..... Clint is not good enough, end of!!!!!! We don't want back up, we want as good as we've got to fight fir places.

He only score 12 for Spurs last year, and 23 for Fulham before that.

You'd rather have Osman & Naismith than Clint Dempsey? I'll let you think about that for a minute.

Money to be tight? Yes, exactly, another reason why a loan could be a good bit of business....

That's not what I said is it?

I said I would rather have Barkley than Dempsey and use Osman and Naismith as backup

If money is tight why bring in a squad payer that we don't really need? I would rather we put the money towards a CF or CM

That's not what I said is it?

I said I would rather have Barkley than Dempsey and use Osman and Naismith as backup

If money is tight why bring in a squad payer that we don't really need? I would rather we put the money towards a CF or CM

I think the point is that Ross will need a break because we will burn him out otherwise, and that CD is a better option that Ossie or Naisy

No I don't think this will ever happen, if we want an old player who can score the odd goal we only need to get Duncan Ferguson on the pitch again. At least he is loyal to Everton and always put in 100% for the cause. As that is never going to happen then I seriously doubt we will get involved with Dempsey. And to be honest I don't want us to.

I think the point is that Ross will need a break because we will burn him out otherwise, and that CD is a better option that Ossie or Naisy

This. See Spurs under Harry Redknapp. They'd always look like sure Champions League material the first 1/2-2/3 of the season, then they'd collapse. Why? Redknapp only used 14-15 players regularly and they'd all be tired come March. Dempsey would be a far better/threatening option off of the bench than Naismith, Osman, and I wouldn't mind rotating the squad and giving him a start, unlike Naismith... Some of you really do have a small club mentality, or you just don't understand what type of squad is needed to compete for fourth.

Yes and he was sold on after one year. Why?

See Pete0's post. But a good offer came in for him. The Sounds made a good offer to bring a top American back to MLS, and they offered Dempsey some of the highest wages in that league.

Yeah I get that , but I just don't think he would be worth the wages as a backup player

If the other areas of the squad are addressed first and we still have enough dosh left over to accommodate him the fair enough

And as I stated PeteO, we need competition not back up... So keep stating players like segurdsson who was better than Dempsey but are they better than Barkley??????? No, so we don't buy him then.

So you want someone like Barkley... I wonder what United's asking price for Januzaj would be. Brett, why don't you find out and then provide us with a list of targets who are as promising as Barkley that we can afford.

And as I stated PeteO, we need competition not back up... So keep stating players like segurdsson who was better than Dempsey but are they better than Barkley??????? No, so we don't buy him then.

Its a loan deal, we're not linked with buying him. Dempsey scored a fair few from the AMC position, and would great competition for Barkley, not to mention another seasoned exEPL player with a wealth of international experience. He could be what Barry is for McCarthy.

Edited by Matt

So this is going back to my previous discussion relating to some hard investment and fast... Some people will carry on accepting second rate players and loan deals to pull the wool over our eyes year in year out. Moyes leaving couldn't have come at a better time for BK. Now he had a fresh ten years to chat the same bullshit to RM....the people's club is starting to translate into the paupers club

So this is going back to my previous discussion relating to some hard investment and fast... Some people will carry on accepting second rate players and loan deals to pull the wool over our eyes year in year out. Moyes leaving couldn't have come at a better time for BK. Now he had a fresh ten years to chat the same bullshit to RM....the people's club is starting to translate into the paupers club

:rolleyes::doh: Do we have a broken record emoticon? Im not going to discuss the clubs financial thread here, weve plenty of other designated threads where people can take a pop at the board. Leave the Blue Union bullshit there.

I accept loan deals like Donovan, Lukaku, Barry, Deul who have added depth, experience and competition for places over the years and see Dempsey doing the same as Donovan.

is dempsey better than what we already have? considering age/salary/attributes in a game other than goals???????

you tell me - the other AMCs after Barkley that we have are Ossie, Naismith and Deul. I know Pienaar and Mirallas could play there but then who do you put in the corresponding AML/R positions? Ossie, Naismith and Deul....

Edited by Matt

On the face of it I'd say no. Dempsey had his best years at Fulham, and peaked a few seasons ago. I grant you, a Dempsey of 2 seasons back would waltz into our starting line up, and just about anyone else's he was that proficient in front of goal. I can't see him adding anything to the squad now though, except being a big name on the bench.

We need depth it's true, but Barkley will want to aim for the world cup and another AMC, someone in the vein of Dempsey, would probably do more harm than good. Really, I think we need another box to box player, Fernando would be ideal but if not him a player like him. It's that step up that we need, especially with Gibson out, a versatile midfielder with a good engine. Something Dempsey was, but I think is passed now.

Osman on his day gives you far more and Gerry is in a different league to Dempsey... He is a lazy player who wastes posession by going for ridiculous shots every game.... We already got rid of Cahill, we don't want another one..

what about Naismith? :P

Id love that still be true for Ossie but hes done.

Osman on his day gives you far more and Gerry is in a different league to Dempsey... He is a lazy player who wastes posession by going for ridiculous shots every game.... We already got rid of Cahill, we don't want another one..

I don't know about that. Osman hasn't been on his day in awhile and certainly is not as good as Dempsey. Gerry has more potential but he's still very raw.

I'll admit that Dempsey is a bit lazy, but he's more valuable than Osman and Gerry(who has also shown that he can be lazy and just as, if not more, wasteful in possession) at the moment. That said, I would only take him on about a third of his wages at most; he's the highest earner in MLS at roughly $150,000/year.

I think what needs to be put in perspective here is that a guy like Dempsey is loaned out because he wants it and his club are doing him a favor; not for any financial gain. No, we wouldn't get him for free, but Seattle would give him to us for pennies on the dollar because they just want to make Dempsey happy and bringing him to training camp in February in playing shape only benefits them. Bringing an EPL quality player for a ridiculously cheap price is not something that should be taken lightly.

I've said this before, but Dempsey is similar to Cahill. Decent technical skills, yes, but what separates him from the pack is his willingness to fight for every ball and wear his heart on his sleeve. Add in the fact that he will have a chip on his shoulder due to Tottenham's (lack of) usage of him and the upcoming World Cup, and he'd give us 110% every game. He can play up top, delayed striker, AMC, central mid, or wing. Basically, a better version of Naismith. We've seen time and time again how the teams that win games in the EPL are not solely the ones who have the best players, but the ones who have the depth to withstand a 38 game season with internationals and cup matches thrown in between. I think we'd be silly not to bring in Dempsey unless Seattle's lost its mind and wants a ridiculous loan fee.

• 4 weeks later...