IGNORED

Clint Dempsey

Blimey, will the red shite be half as interested now that they don't need to unsettle him and tap him up.... Go on Brenda - get him, or is it because he is above 5ft 10 that you don't want him cos he may be viewed as an aerial threat when we all know that you were the creator of total football.....so much so that you will keep that chunk of shite borini and sell Andy Carroll to prove it???

He is a great goal scorer, but I'm not sure what else he brings to the team.

Just about everything, really. That's what's great about Dempsey. He can play the role of poacher, get on the end of balls in the box, and put it in. But he's also going to battle for every ball in midfield, hustle back for defense... essentially do all the dirty things. And he's a phenomenal teammate. He can play as striker or delayed striker or even in the middle of the pitch if necessary. He's not too different of a player than Tim Cahill.

At face value, anyone who thinks he wouldn't be a good pickup for Everton is nuts. Tottenham did a piss-poor job of utilizing him and he'd be a much better fit here. Of course, the big question as always is money. If Tottenham is willing to concede a loss on him and get 20 cents on the dollar then I think we absolutely have to get involved. If they're looking to play hardball and get a bunch of teams into a bidding war then forget it, not worth our time.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems to be speculation based on him being spotted, photographed, Tweeted etc in San Francisco airport at the same time as Everton were in town, although there's also talk that he's MLS-bound. I can't see him being Roberto's type of signing.

Though I doubt the speculation is true, I think he would fit in well with Roberto's style. He's the more technically-gifted of the US players, and he is good at quick one-twos, flicks, and other passes that aren't the norm.

That said, Can't say that I'd want him here, but I wouldn't mind it if he came either.