IGNORED

Clint Dempsey

SSN are reporting that he's going to talk to Seattle Sounders who say they're looking for a big signing before their deadline next week, but their head coach has played down specific talk of Dempsey. Anyway, he flew into San Francisco as our team was moving on to LA :rolleyes:

Like five different US sources are independently claiming he is on the verge of signing with the Seattle Sounders. Bizarre transfer, to be honest. He spent so much time building his reputation at Fullham and finally made the long-awaited move to a higher-up team... and is going to leave for MLS after only one season? Just doesn't make sense and is a bit disappointing. It's not even like he has a connection to Seattle. Was born in Texas and played for the New England Revolution (Boston) before moving to Europe.

Disappointed if he goes to Sounders. Worked hard to move for CL and now this. I like MLS, but obviously PL is better.

Yeah, it took a lot of hard work to say I won't play for you again until you allow me the move ;).

Touché.

Yeah, just makes me question his motives. Lost a little respect for him.

In Dempsey's 7 seasons (almost 7 as he played only 10 games first season following his transfer to Fulham from New England) he has scored 7 PL goals 3 times (one of those was Spurs last season), 6 PL goals once, 12 & 16 PL goals the last 2 seasons with Fulham. He got 1 PL goal in that initial season.

I like Fulham but Dempsey looked good there. He wasn't exactly prolific as a striker - 2 decent seasons he has been here, less than a third of his time here - nor playing off the striker and I don't recall him pinging the ball about to his team mates if he wasn't in a striking/supporting striker role. He was average, at best, at Spurs. In his last season or two at Fulham he scored the occasional Le Tissier, which made him stand out from others. If he didn't score you didn't notice he was there.

Not for me, go and give something back to America, thanks Clint.

Oh, and he looks like he should be in Friends or working at his local hardware store in Nacogdoches, Texas, y'all

Edited by Cake

I think it's good for him to be moving back to the MLS. He'll be well paid at well supported club (arguably the most supported in the country), Sounder's commercials deals outperform 75% of the Premier League. They're not exactly a small club.

We are also at a time when MLS needs all the help they can get, NBC pay the Premier League eight times as much as what they pay MLS to show the league on the tv and MLS are needing to renew the broadcast contract in the near future.

Dempsey'll be the American face of the MLS. Come January, I don't think Landon Donovan will be there. A move to a non-Champions League club would have been seen a step down, a return to USA is seen as a homecoming (even if the distance from his hometown is similar to Goodison Park to Istanbul).

The price that Seattle paid is absurd, but whatever floats their boat I guess. Obviously he's still a quality player but based on what Seattle paid to bring him home I would have had no interest at bringing him to Everton for anything remotely similar.

What was the price ? Kinda helps ha ha.

Guest Nikica

Amazingly overrated on the back of one supreme goalscoring season at Fulham. He does get goals but the trade off is that the team's cohesion suffers as he has no real footballing ability, speed of thought or movement. He's at his best bursting into the box as he does have good goalscoring instincts, but it's not worth it to compromise the play. Doesn't seem like a Martinez type player.

• 2 months later...

I would rather keep playing Barkley in that role tbh

We have no depth. Well, a little bit of depth, but a lack of quality from our backups. This would give us more options and give some of the current crop a chance to rest every now and then. One does have to worry about a late-season collapse with a small squad.

I would rather keep playing Barkley in that role tbh

I know what you mean but I think it would be good for him to have an experienced player to challenge him. Plus, after the Christmas period Id imagine he could do with a rest game here and there so he doesnt burn out. Would all depend on the costs mind you

We have no depth. Well, a little bit of depth, but a lack of quality from our backups. This would give us more options and give some of the current crop a chance to rest every now and then. One does have to worry about a late-season collapse with a small squ

If Ross needs a breather I would be tempted to give Osman a go there, personally I think that's his best position, or even give Naismith a go

I just think we have more pressing areas that need reinforcing and Im expecting money to be tight again