IGNORED

Clint Dempsey

Holt!? from Dempsey...f*ck me.

I really really do not want Grant Holt at our football club. He's god damn awful, a thug...

Jesus H Chirst.

Don't want him either but he's clearly not awful with 15 goals in his PL debut season. Will be a decent signing for villa or west ham I'd imagine. Would be very effective for Stoke too, him and crouch would be a defenders nightmare!

Guest blueboy122

Don't want him either but he's clearly not awful with 15 goals in his PL debut season. Will be a decent signing for villa or west ham I'd imagine. Would be very effective for Stoke too, him and crouch would be a defenders nightmare!

He is awful. Know where near a premier league player. I can honestly say that I have seen more talented players playing Sunday league football.

Guest blueboy122

You should probably get a job as a football scout if truly believe that!

No I dont think I should. I can promise you I know at least 10 players personally that are better than Grant Holt. Football is a game of luck and who you know unfortunately.

No I dont think I should. I can promise you I know at least 10 players personally that are better than Grant Holt. Football is a game of luck and who you know unfortunately.

Not at the highest level - Paul Dalgleish, Darren Ferguson, (Nigel Clough - was half decent actually) are 2/3 examples of football being about who you know - they didn't do anything at the highest level. Holt has worked his way up and earned it - he then goes and scores 15 goals in the prem. If players are good enough they'll usually find their level (and that's good or bad)... look at smalling, had to work up from non-league, others did it like guppy, wright, mcateer, loads have. Many failed footballers use the it's who you know as an excuse - maybe they don't have the mentality if they're saying that or maybe simply they just aren't good enough. What they need to do though is play at a level maybe semi-pro and if they're good enough then there are enough clubs and scouts, etc. out there. There must be players who slipped through the net but to say 10 of your mates are better than a premiership footballer is a little naive!

Edited by c1982

Guest blueboy122

Not at the highest level - Paul Dalgleish, Darren Ferguson, (Nigel Clough - was half decent actually) are 2/3 examples of football being about who you know - they didn't do anything at the highest level. Holt has worked his way up and earned it - he then goes and scores 15 goals in the prem. If players are good enough they'll usually find their level (and that's good or bad)... look at smalling, had to work up from non-league, others did it like guppy, wright, mcateer, loads have. Many failed footballers use the it's who you know as an excuse - maybe they don't have the mentality if they're saying that or maybe simply they just aren't good enough. What they need to do though is play at a level maybe semi-pro and if they're good enough then there are enough clubs and scouts, etc. out there. There must be players who slipped through the net but to say 10 of your mates are better than a premiership footballer is a little naive!

Not at all, I wouldnt say there were my mates just people I have played with over the years. You havent seen what I have seen pal, I know for a fact that there are players that are playing now in west cheshire sides etc that are better than certain premier league players. Alot of players give up like myself who has been in 2 great academys and been let go, you only have to look at our very own baines and jags for proof of that, fortunatley they kept at it and found other clubs after being released by us many released players decide to get an education and play for saturday/sunday teams as a hobby which is what I do.

Grant Holt is NOT good enough for Everton Football Club simple as really, Moyes needs a bucket of cold water over his head if he is even considering this.

I know I'll get slammed for saying this, but if the price were right (Nowhere NEAR 4 million pounds), I'd take Grant Holt... He scored 15 goals last year, which shows that he at least knows where the net is and is a better 2nd striker option than anything else we've got. Personally, I don't care how a striker scores goals, whether it be through ridiculous physicality, or great positioning, or speed and agility as long as they are able to score, or link up with another striker and set them up to score. That's just me. That being said, I'd take Grant Holt for a free definitely, and maybe 1 to 2 million, but Norwich would never let him go for that price, and 4 million is too much for him in my opinion.

Guest blueboy122

Also if you believe that there are scouts around watching youth level football etc you sorely mistaken mate. I played for over 10 years for both Sunday and Saturday league football and must have been around 5 games where registered club scouts were at the games. You ask anyone of your mates who plays or who had played in saturday sunday league football how many times scouts attend games you will be shocked. I would say to any young player who actually feels they can make it then the best way to progress is go to summer camps at various clubs and show case there talents infront of the coaches that are at the clubs.

Guest blueboy122

I know I'll get slammed for saying this, but if the price were right (Nowhere NEAR 4 million pounds), I'd take Grant Holt... He scored 15 goals last year, which shows that he at least knows where the net is and is a better 2nd striker option than anything else we've got. Personally, I don't care how a striker scores goals, whether it be through ridiculous physicality, or great positioning, or speed and agility as long as they are able to score, or link up with another striker and set them up to score. That's just me. That being said, I'd take Grant Holt for a free definitely, and maybe 1 to 2 million, but Norwich would never let him go for that price, and 4 million is too much for him in my opinion.

I will bet you know that Grant Holt wont score more than 8 goals next term.

Also if you believe that there are scouts around watching youth level football etc you sorely mistaken mate. I played for over 10 years for both Sunday and Saturday league football and must have been around 5 games where registered club scouts were at the games. You ask anyone of your mates who plays or who had played in saturday sunday league football how many times scouts attend games you will be shocked. I would say to any young player who actually feels they can make it then the best way to progress is go to summer camps at various clubs and show case there talents infront of the coaches that are at the clubs.

Must be different around here then, I'd get at least one scout at every school tournament I'd organise.

We're not talking this level anyway we're talking semi-pro at least if you're saying these lads are good enough for the prem. Teams like chasetown, FC united, marine - they're the teams young players should be having trials at and if they're good enough make the step up from there. 2 lads went from chasetown to port vale a few years back - if they had been food enough then they were on the right platform then to press on.

Ok, but do you want us signing him though?

No, at that price (£4-6m) I don't think he'd be value for money for us nor the type or player we need to partner Jelavic. Maybe at a much lower price he would have been a better option than Straq last season though.

Also if you believe that there are scouts around watching youth level football etc you sorely mistaken mate. I played for over 10 years for both Sunday and Saturday league football and must have been around 5 games where registered club scouts were at the games.

Do scouts have to declare themselves then at every game they go to? Otherwise how do you know whether they're there or not?

We will see! I bet if he's a starting XI striker wherever he ends up, he'll score more than 8...

I personally hope he goes to villa having cost £6m and scores 0 and they go down... but that's more to do with my hatred of Aston Villa.

Like Quinn says he'll go to a half decent team and be their starting striker and probably hit double figures again. It may not always be pretty but it ain't half effective - Kevin Davies and many others have been doing it for years.

Do scouts have to declare themselves then at every game they go to? Otherwise how do you know whether they're there or not?

I can only speak for children at primary school age as that's the age I've organised tournaments for and at that age scouts must declare themselves due to child protection issues and they must wear their id. I've had them from wolves, Walsall, baggies and villa. There have been man.utd and even Everton scouts at some though I've been told (not organised by me though unfortunately!)

I personally hope he goes to villa having cost £6m and scores 0 and they go down... but that's more to do with my hatred of Aston Villa.

Like Quinn says he'll go to a half decent team and be their starting striker and probably hit double figures again. It may not always be pretty but it ain't half effective - Kevin Davies and many others have been doing it for years.

Why hasn't Tony Pulis and Stoke signed Holt up already? He fits perfectly into their system of having Rugby players play football! I'm shocked Pulis hasn't signed up Holt and maybe Joey Barton, but then again, Barton's a halfway decent footballer which usually rules a player out of going to Stoke. But seriously, the type of play that Holt and Kevin Davies and others use isn't pretty, and they aren't good technical footballers, but it works for weaker sides like Bolton, Norwich, etc who can not afford to go out and spend 10 million pounds on a top quality goal scorer.

Im pretty sure at youth level they would want to be incognito, lets not throw a load of pressure at the kids, maybe see their natural game?

I can only speak for children at primary school age as that's the age I've organised tournaments for and at that age scouts must declare themselves due to child protection issues and they must wear their id. I've had them from wolves, Walsall, baggies and villa. There have been man.utd and even Everton scouts at some though I've been told (not organised by me though unfortunately!)

I would imagine they would be known to the staff, as you say, child protection, but do you tell the kids? or just let them play?

Edited by StevO

I would imagine they would be known to the staff, as you say, child protection, but do you tell the kids? or just let them play?

I personally don't tell the children but it usually gets out as all the scouts I've encountered wear an official club name tag (which must be on show) and most come in a club coat or something so it always gets out. The scouts I've encountered will want themselves to be known at these tournaments so they can 'network' with the teachers and coaches.

Yes they do have to declare themselves at every match they turn up to. thats an FA rule that can have them de-registered if they dont abide by.

I played semi pro football 10 years ago and know 5 or 6 pro footballers up to championship level that would admit to you that they were either just in the right place at the right time or simply knew the right people. Two west brom players could not get into our semi pro sunday team ( from 10 years ago )

Guest blueboy122

Yes they do have to declare themselves at every match they turn up to. thats an FA rule that can have them de-registered if they dont abide by.

I played semi pro football 10 years ago and know 5 or 6 pro footballers up to championship level that would admit to you that they were either just in the right place at the right time or simply knew the right people. Two west brom players could not get into our semi pro sunday team ( from 10 years ago )

Case and point. Thanks

Case and point. Thanks

Not really, your case was you know 10 unsigned players better than Grant Holt. My point was 'wow there tiger he's a premiership footballer, surely they'd playing at SOME level if they're that good or are they really?' Case dismissed!