IGNORED

Clint Dempsey

I don't really understand how we're even in the running for a player like Dempsey. People seem to be thinking we can get him for a few million? If he was an Everton player and people linked him with a move to Spurs for a pitiful fee like £4M, we'd all be up in arms. It would be the equivalent of us selling Cahill 5/6 years ago for that sum of money.

Especially given his form over the last 2-3 months, there's no way on earth that we'd get him for under 10 million in my opinion, and if he's going anywhere this summer, I expect plenty of other big clubs will be in for him and I can't see us winning that bidding war.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong though, I can't think of a better player to replace Cahill with our current formation. I think Dempsey is one of the best midfielders in the league.

I don't really understand how we're even in the running for a player like Dempsey. People seem to be thinking we can get him for a few million? If he was an Everton player and people linked him with a move to Spurs for a pitiful fee like £4M, we'd all be up in arms. It would be the equivalent of us selling Cahill 5/6 years ago for that sum of money.

Especially given his form over the last 2-3 months, there's no way on earth that we'd get him for under 10 million in my opinion, and if he's going anywhere this summer, I expect plenty of other big clubs will be in for him and I can't see us winning that bidding war.

I would LOVE to be proven wrong though, I can't think of a better player to replace Cahill with our current formation. I think Dempsey is one of the best midfielders in the league.

He'll be in the last year of his contract so he's obviously going to be going on the cheap.

Guest blueboy122

He's a great player and a player I would love to have at the club. Seems to be one of those players who fit into the club nicely, family man etc. He has been consistently good for a number of seasons now, find it surprising that teams are only sitting up and taking note now as to how good he actually is. Like fellani he seem to go under the radar.

Guest Nikica

Very impressive player. My opinion has always been that he's a very good Premier League level player, and probably not good enough for a team which competes in the Champions League, but I am not so sure any more. Wouldn't be that surprised to see Arsenal go for him.

If Everton did attempt to sign him and succeeded, he would certainly be a good foil for Jelavic. He scores a lot of goals and important ones at that, which could certainly attain you a lot of points throughout the course of a season. He's the type who will stand up to be counted. With Cahill looking to be on the wane, he'd be a very good player to get in, and although Dempsey is 29 this year he seems the type of guy who could play well into his thirties.

I suppose it depends on how ambitious Everton are. You guys know more about that than I do, but he'd certainly be a very progressive signing.

Edited by Nikica

Good player yeah fine. Can't see Moyes buying a 29 year old to play in the Cahill role when we have poss the finest talent since Rooney in Ross to do the job instead. Wish Clint was 10 years younger though.sad.png

Dempsey would be a great mentor for Ross. Never know might even encourage an attacking 451, as Felliani can do the job of 2 defensive mids on his own allowing for Barkley and Dempsey to stay further up the pitch. I smell goals next season :)

Guest blueboy122

Hope we can lure Dempsey in the summer. If not we should try to get Nick Powell from Crewe, he might be in our price range.

Haha bit of a difference a top premier league player to a league 1 player....

Powell(y) is my mates brother, he's getting a little bit of an ego (even though he still plays at Crewe), his brother Chris is ace, such a nice guy, really laid back, haven't seen him in a couple of months though sad.png

Powell(y), Nick, used to play footy with us at school, he wasn't that good then, used to hack at you...seems the last couple of years have done him wonders!

49 seconds in....http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17398245

Edited by tenaciousj

Guest blueboy122

I wouldnt be against keeping cahill at all but he would have to be as an impact sub no question. J.Holliet has got to be the prefered option in the cahill role.

Guest blueboy122

Powell(y) is my mates brother, he's getting a little bit of an ego (even though he still plays at Crewe), his brother Chris is ace, such a nice guy, really laid back, haven't seen him in a couple of months though sad.png

Powell(y), Nick, used to play footy with us at school, he wasn't that good then, used to hack at you...seems the last couple of years have done him wonders!

49 seconds in....http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/17398245

What footballer hasnt these days.... To be fair who could blame them, Money, Girls, Fame, Cars etc.

Guest blueboy122

I personally think Hoilett's better at cutting in from the wing, he has pace and strength, rather than vision...his decision making is terrible.

Disagree the amount of times he has fed the yak this season has been countless. His feet are fantastic.

Get dempsey and play 4-3-3....

Howard

Hibbert - Heitinga - Distin - Baines

Fellaini

Barkley - Osman/Gibson

Dempsey - Jelavic - Pienaar

Id love that, but id adjust a little.

--------- Fellaini - Gibson ------

Dempsey - Barkley - Pienaar

--------------- Jelavic -------------

Just for a bit more fluidity from the attacking three

Guest Nikica

Id love that, but id adjust a little.

--------- Fellaini - Gibson ------

Dempsey - Barkley - Pienaar

--------------- Jelavic -------------

Just for a bit more fluidity from the attacking three

Yeah, that team works better in a 4231 formation. As talented as Dempsey is, I personally don't believe he would be effective as a wide forward in a 433.

I'd switch Dempsey and Barkley in your formation and it would be rocking. Of course, football teams are fluid and players interchange, but I think the above with Dempsey and Barkley switched is the optimum style.

Dempsey could do very well in that attacking midfield role. It's generally considered a trequartista's position, but in Dempsey's case he'd be expected to join Jelavic as much as possible. He'd play that position very differently to a Totti or Riquelme.

Guest Nikica

Yeah, Riquelme is one of my favourite 'underrated' players (obviously he was highly rated but was never universally considered the world-class genius that he is/was).

Another who falls into that bracket is Redondo.