IGNORED

Lescott

I have to say I don't agree with most of the opinions being expressed. I can see the logic in selling the two, and then using the money as well as possibly obtaining Jo for free, but I really don't want to see either of these two leave. Lescott has been fabulous partnering Jagielka in central defence, as well as contributing the occasional goal which is fantastic to see goals being scored by a defender. With Arteta, his injury lay-off will be a difficult time for him, I think he'd be best to stay with us for at least 1 more season as he can recover and find his way back into a familier team environment. When he returns from injury, it will probably take time for him to get back to his best, but we all remember how brilliant he was running the show from centre mid, and I can't wait to see this again :)

As for throwing Jo, time will tell over the next few weeks to see if he's worth it on a permanent basis or not, but either way I don't want to see Lescott or Arteta leave.

I seem to be missing something here Man city have just paid 14 million for a 29 year old injury prone tosspot who has had more clubs than Nicklaus and they only are offering 25 million for two of our best players? Arteta has at least three years left on his contract and is hitting his prime years ditto for Lescott. I would have thought Arteta bearing in mind City will be paying over the odds for a good few years would be in the region of 18-20 million and Lescott about 12-15 million?? Every player has a price and if Moysie thought it was a goer im sure he will do business. Personally I wouldnt sell either i think we are only 3 players away from securing top four place regulary with our squad.

on the OS moyes has cleared this up - not happening.

That's not worth a dime. How many times has Moyes said he's not interested in making our squad smaller, only adding to it? And then how many times has he gone on to decrease the squad size? Exactly.

I wouldn't let them go for that joke of a fee but I have a feeling BK would :( .

That's not worth a dime. How many times has Moyes said he's not interested in making our squad smaller, only adding to it? And then how many times has he gone on to decrease the squad size? Exactly.

I wouldn't let them go for that joke of a fee but I have a feeling BK would :( .

Why would BK knowingly do that? I was wondering when we would get some Bill bashing.

Firstly those are 2 of my favourite players we have, both at a great age with years at the top in them and most importantly they both will keep improving.

Reasons to keep them:

Arteta: currently maturing into one of the best midfielders in the league, especially now moyes has seen the wisdom we have all been speaking about for the last couple of seasons and now plays him in his best position at centre midfield.

Lescott: Left footed centre back (priceless as next best is upson - enough said!!!) english, passionate, and now in the england squad on a regular basis. Built up a great understanding with jags and currently look in my opinion THE best partnership in the league.

Reasons to sell them:

Arteta: he was never going to finish his career with us and we will get the best possible price for him now rather than selling in a few years for peanuts if he runs down his contract and gets the move he wants back to spain.

Lescott: Occasional erratic form, will his dodgy knees come back to haunt us.

Man city are the new chelsea and will be paying over the odds for players for the next few years, we could easily get around £30mill for the 2 players, which to us is a massive amount of money - however my MAIN concerns over this would be replacing them with A: equivalent quality (not a lot available) and B: EVERYONE WILL KNOW WE HAVE THAT CASH AND WE IN TURN WILL HAVE TO PAY OVER THE ODDS ASWELL!!!!

So in a nutshell I personally feel it would be a MISTAKE to sell either one - unless moysie has a couple of top class players already lined up before he sells.

If it is £25 million plus Jo , then that's a decent offer when you consider how much we paid for them both , and how much City paid for Jo .

I said this might happen a few months ago , and it ruffled a few feathers , but now it seems I might have been nearer the mark than I first thought . :huh:

Arteta might never be the same player after his injury , and Lescott is certainly replaceable .

It's not a million miles from being a fair price .

If it's not including Jo , then we need a little more .

;) If they are going to insist on us taking Jo then they need to give us an extra £20M at least !!

I dont think we can afford to lose either player, there is no reason what so ever to beleive Arteta is going to be any different than the player we know he can be and who would we bring in to replace Lescott??? The only central defenders in the Prem that are better than him are playing for the "big four" and would be out of our price range. The only possible would maybe be Upson but I think he would command a similar fee anyway

I have to say I don't agree with most of the opinions being expressed. I can see the logic in selling the two, and then using the money as well as possibly obtaining Jo for free, but I really don't want to see either of these two leave. Lescott has been fabulous partnering Jagielka in central defence, as well as contributing the occasional goal which is fantastic to see goals being scored by a defender. With Arteta, his injury lay-off will be a difficult time for him, I think he'd be best to stay with us for at least 1 more season as he can recover and find his way back into a familier team environment. When he returns from injury, it will probably take time for him to get back to his best, but we all remember how brilliant he was running the show from centre mid, and I can't wait to see this again :)

As for throwing Jo, time will tell over the next few weeks to see if he's worth it on a permanent basis or not, but either way I don't want to see Lescott or Arteta leave.

Yep couldnt agree more

Arteta will leave some day, Nobody here wants it, but he wil :(

Edited by Churinga

• 3 weeks later...

The bash Billy syndrome is no longer fashionable Mark, I'm glad to say, explain this statement please.................I need an explanation as your comments have no credence whatsoever,

As for us selling the family jewels, not for that sum under any circumstance. What we paid for them has sod all to what we can sell them for, you get the biggest profit you can. Based on that principle, should we have given Rooney away, of course not. Hughes is looking to put back bone in his side and that will cost him. He can keep Jo and let us have a minimum of £50 mil, or £60 mil if we can get it, and what they offered for Kaka is setting a precedent which they will have to pay if they want the best.

The major problem with this type of chat is what money is on the table for the players, we may have to increase wages to keep them.....................such are the vagaries of success

The bash Billy syndrome is no longer fashionable Mark, I'm glad to say, explain this statement please.................I need an explanation as your comments have no credence whatsoever,

In your opinion it has no credence.

I'm not going to come over all sentimental after watching him go off his head when we won on Sunday. I did love seeing it and I love how much of a blue he is; he's one of us. But in this day and age you need money and unfortunately BK doesn't have enough, and Moyes deserves to be given money. In an ideal world BK would have the money necessary and then we'd have someone in charge who adores this club as much as we do, but he doesn't. So if big money is on the table then BK and the rest of the board would be forced to accept it. That's not how it should be.

Guest efctaxi

Arteta is a great player , but he does have a habit of going missing in big games .

For £25 million , we should bite their hand off .

We could get Robbie savage in to replace him , and have enough money left for a few beers on Moysie .

Arteta is a great player , but he does have a habit of going missing in big games .

We could get Robbie savage in to replace him , and have enough money left for a few beers on Moysie .

I'd say the same...£25m is a crazy price, you could replace easily with that! I love Miky but business, is business to the boards mind...they wont turn that sort of money down!

I agree as much as i like Arteta and what he brings to the squad we all know he will one day leave so why not capitalise on it now rather then let him go for far less down the line because no other club bar City would offer so much if true that is.

If we where to keep the full fee to bring players in we could build a stronger squad then we have now which is what it is all about at the end of the day im a big fan of Arteta but to refuse that kind of money would be a mistake in my eyes.

I agree as much as i like Arteta and what he brings to the squad we all know he will one day leave so why not capitalise on it now rather then let him go for far less down the line because no other club bar City would offer so much if true that is.

If we where to keep the full fee to bring players in we could build a stronger squad then we have now which is what it is all about at the end of the day im a big fan of Arteta but to refuse that kind of money would be a mistake in my eyes.

Why do you think he wants to leave? Every time he is interviewed he keeps reiterating that he is happy here and wants to stay.

He still has his best years ahead of him , hes happy playing for the club, hes popular with the other players , has proved himself in the Prem and fits perfectly into the work ethic that Moysie demands so it makes no sense to sell

Why do you think he wants to leave? Every time he is interviewed he keeps reiterating that he is happy here and wants to stay.

He still has his best years ahead of him , hes happy playing for the club, hes popular with the other players , has proved himself in the Prem and fits perfectly into the work ethic that Moysie demands so it makes no sense to sell

Who said he wanted to leave? If they came in with that kind of money the club would surely take it and if they do its out of Arteta's hands and he would have to go.

He is a great player and i would hate to see him go but if that rumour has any substance and they do put in an offer for that kind of money we would be mad not to take it we could buy two very good players with that maybe three if we buy right, Its the real only way forward for us at the moment as we usually have very little funds available add to that fee £5 to say £10 million from BK and we could build a very strong squad for the future, That is if there is any truth in this.

Up it to 30 million and I'll think about it.

Arteta at centre mid is almost irreplacable. How many other players can control a game's tempo and flow at a high level who aren't playing for sides like Barcelona and Arsenal?

I think if it is true that Man City are looking to pay £25M for Arteta, I also think we should bite thier hands of as well.

In 12 months time we would be able to take him back on loan. If Man City throw there money around like Cheslea did when Roman first went there, then my guess it that Arteta could end up surplus to requirment, especially if players of the ilk of Kaka are on thier radar.

Another point (which is sad but true), given our geographical location, we could do quite well out of 'loaning' surplus Man City players in the coming years. Jo hasn't turned out to bad for us, and he could be the tip of the iceberg. I don't actually like the thought of feeding of Man City cast offs, but in all honesty given the money they now have it really is only going to be a matter of time before they have one of the best squads in the world, and there is nothing we could so about it. I would rather see Everton be a loan club of choice rather than Villa et al. Quality loan players have gone a long way at Goodison Park over the last few years.

As much as I like Arteta, a £25M offer has to be taken very very seriousely, especially if Moyes is given all the funds to spend on the squad.

People are really mistaken if they think anyone will give us £25m for Arteta. If we were offered £15m then it would be a fair offer, regardless of whether its accepted or not. City unlikely to be in Europe next season so Arteta will be achieving little to go there. If he does go this summer I would expect it to be to Spain.

I just think it would cost at least £20M to replace him and then you dont know if the new player will fit in as well as Arteta does so for a £5M profit its just not worth it

It would be a profit of £23 million for a player that has served us well and will be remembered here for ever as being a great player there isn't much point getting to far into it as its only a rumour but Arteta is far from irreplaceable and although he's only 27 his price tag will rapidly decline over the next two to three years.

I understand where your coming from about settling in and so on but thats a risk with any player the only thing that worries me more is that him and Cahill are very good friends and it could cause abit of upset.

My heart says piss right off but my head says take it if it came to be honest :rolleyes:

Edited by EFC-Paul

Guest efctaxi
I think if it is true that Man City are looking to pay £25M for Arteta, I also think we should bite thier hands of as well.

In 12 months time we would be able to take him back on loan. If Man City throw there money around like Cheslea did when Roman first went there, then my guess it that Arteta could end up surplus to requirment, especially if players of the ilk of Kaka are on thier radar.

Another point (which is sad but true), given our geographical location, we could do quite well out of 'loaning' surplus Man City players in the coming years. Jo hasn't turned out to bad for us, and he could be the tip of the iceberg. I don't actually like the thought of feeding of Man City cast offs, but in all honesty given the money they now have it really is only going to be a matter of time before they have one of the best squads in the world, and there is nothing we could so about it. I would rather see Everton be a loan club of choice rather than Villa et al. Quality loan players have gone a long way at Goodison Park over the last few years.

As much as I like Arteta, a £25M offer has to be taken very very seriousely, especially if Moyes is given all the funds to spend on the squad.

There has to be a little give and take between 2 clubs .

I doubt we will be allowed to have our cake and eat it .

What a load of crap!!!

Man City will not pay £25 million for a player who is 'recovering' from major knee surgery. Having come through something similar and knowing what it takes to get back to anywhere near top level, he won't be in a position to complete a rigorous medical during the next transfer window in my opinion.

Lazy journo's trawling previous gossip!