IGNORED

Sports Personality Of The Year

Murray has grown on me to be fair.

My mates sister was involved in team GB at Rio and she said he was one of the nicest athletes you could wish to meet. Very different to his on camera appearance. Really funny and generous with his time.

I've never not liked him tbh. Think he comes across really well. His sense of humour is just very dry and he's deadpan, so people have taken him the wrong way. But you can tell he likes a laugh and he willingly takes the piss out if himself.

And, tbf, I've never understood why him coming across as miserable, or whatever, is a reason why people have disliked him. His job is to win tennis matches, not make people laugh.

• 11 months later...
13 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Anthony Joshua was about 1/10 with the bookies but didn't even finish in the top three! Happy to see Mo win it it, though I voted for Jonathan Rea.

"Closest challenger" Hamilton was also nowhere which made me happy also.

Not concerned about him being a drugs cheat? I don’t follow athletics so I have no idea how strong those shouts are. 

4 hours ago, holystove said:

was there no mention of Froome?  Pretty impressive for an asthma patient.

:lol:He was interviewed, he came 7th with 47,000 votes just behind Lewis Hamilton and way clear of Harry Kane in 8th (18,000). Farrah won with 83,000. Rea was the big surprise (apart from Joshua being outside top three) being only 3,000 behind Farrah; would think 95% of his votes came from Northern Ireland though, which is fair enough.

7 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Think they all got the lowest amount of votes.

Yup they were the bottom four but in fairness none of them stood a cat in hell's chance; they were only in because the beeb got in trouble for having an all male shortlist a few years back; tokenism.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

I had never heard of the guys who came second and third!

A three times (consecutive) World Champ and a multiple World & Euro gold medallist, albeit it in "minority interest" events. Was pleased to see them get deserved recognition.

Still rather we went back to days when the vote was free and there was no "shortlist" picked by "experts" and you could vote for anyone you wanted.

Shortlist gave us daft winners like Giggs and McCoy in recent years, it's become a bit of a circus now which is a shame because it used to be a great programme. The pre-announcement of many winners is particularly annoying.

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

Still rather we went back to days when the vote was free and there was no "shortlist" picked by "experts" and you could vote for anyone you wanted.

Shortlist gave us daft winners like Giggs and McCoy in recent years, it's become a bit of a circus now which is a shame because it used to be a great programme. The pre-announcement of many winners is particularly annoying.

this for me, also if they can not be arsed to turn up, why should they get fuck all?  OK  if there is a real reason for not turning up but not just an excuse cos they couldn't be arsed.

• 9 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 20:09, MikeO said:

Tickets on sale for this years, more than £50 a pop; absolute disgrace. Tickets for TV progs always used to be free, you just applied for them; TV licence is about £150 a year so we're all paying auntie anyway. Where does the profit for the event go?

The profits go to the inflated salaries of BBC elites.  (eg Lineker).  The biggest question is 'why is it called Sports PERSONALITY'?  I mean,  Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton could win it.

5 minutes ago, johnh said:

The biggest question is 'why is it called Sports PERSONALITY'?  I mean,  Andy Murray and Lewis Hamilton could win it.

That's always rankled with me, calling it a "personality" completion has always been a misnomer. In my lifetime it's gone to so many without a personality between them (eg David Broome, Sebastian Coe, Steve Davis (though he's since developed a great personality imo), Princess Anne, Nick Faldo, Steve Redgrave, Ryan Giggs & Tony McCoy); disagree with you on Murray though, as discussed by a couple of people at the top of this page. 

If they renamed it "Sports Narcissist of the Year" Hamilton would walk it every time.

Geraint Thomas favourite with the bookies this year (as if that's a guide) which would at least please @holystove:D.

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Amazing how Lewis lives rent free in your head. 

What? Don't be ridiculous, I'm as entitled to my opinion of him as you are....plus that comment was more than a year old so you're a bit slow on the uptake. I know I'm in a minority and I know he has millions of fanboys like yourself and I know he's a brilliant driver but I detest the "celebrity culture" that he exists in and feeds off, that's all. Maybe a generational thing.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

What? Don't be ridiculous, I'm as entitled to my opinion of him as you are....plus that comment was more than a year old so you're a bit slow on the uptake. I know I'm in a minority and I know he has millions of fanboys like yourself and I know he's a brilliant driver but I detest the "celebrity culture" that he exists in and feeds off, that's all. Maybe a generational thing.

Don’t go saying your old mate, that’s not doing some of us any  favours, not myself of course 🤥🤗

• 1 year later...

And so to 2021; Tom Daley, Tyson Fury, Adam Peaty, Emma Raducanu, Raheem Sterling and Sarah Storey nominated; and we could go back to the very first posts in this thread twelve years ago and say Ryan Giggs Raheem Sterling? Why?

Fortunately no way Sterling has a chance as Raducanu will walk it, but I do worry about the sanity of those that produce the shortlist. If they must have a footballer on the list then the glaringly obvious choice would be Marcus Rashford, but that'd be for off pitch stuff and be called political so auntie won't go there, I wish they had.