IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

There is something missing in the centre of the park and it affects Barkley as much as lukaku, I would like to see one of the DM's dropped (not sure who as they are both excellent) and someone alongside Ross so to provide more of an attacking outlet. So when Ross gets the ball he can ping it straight away to him and then it's passed immediately or someone else can run at the defence, maybe bolasie there and Geri on the wing?

There is something missing in the centre of the park and it affects Barkley as much as lukaku, I would like to see one of the DM's dropped (not sure who as they are both excellent) and someone alongside Ross so to provide more of an attacking outlet. So when Ross gets the ball he can ping it straight away to him and then it's passed immediately or someone else can run at the defence, maybe bolasie there and Geri on the wing?

It's worries me that were not good enough to field one defensive midfielder. Top teams like city do it, but I don't think overall we have the quality to put less than 2 DM out there.

Plus you can't drop either Gueye or Barry, they're our two best midfielders.

Thought he was quality today especially later on in the game.

I’ve noticed he’s a lot fitter than he was a couple of years ago, not sure how much that’s improved under Koeman from Martinez but he’s certainly not struggling at the end of games like he was and he was looking like he could easily get another goal or two towards the end. West Ham looked pretty weak defensively but he go made the most of it and played others in well. The assist for Barkley’s goal was quality, great ball from Barkley and with no one in the box Lukaku held it up brilliantly with a few defenders in front of him. The ball to Barkley was just perfect.

I don’t think we’ll see him ever do the kind of chasing around the Koeman would like but if it means he can play 90 minutes well and score goals consistently then I don’t mind that!

theyre clips of him scoring, if that's what you mean ;)

If you are going to fish then make sure you are using the correct bait.

No one has said lukaku has "never scored against a top team"... what I have proven is that he scores a disproportionately lesser amount of goals against top teams.

Anyhow.... feel free to discuss his good performance yesterday.

Edited by Hafnia

He was really clear in what he wanted to improve. Also the consistency. He has told me off only one time this season. It was in training and about the type of movements he wanted me to make. He was clear in his idea – there is a real clarity about what he wants on the pitch. That helps me. I have never started a season so well.”

that's the key bit I took from it - all the 100% committed stuff blah blah is typical rhetoric I'm used to reading.

However..... I think his attitude has improved a reasonable amount. For the first time in the best part of a year Rom gave us an all round performance with some endeavour.

Its interesting the word "consistency" and "movement" - something I have banged on about for a while. Koeman was a very sharp minded defender - he knows how strikers should move.... he worked with one of the best at it in romario

Seriously does, all sorts! Heads, left and right foot, poaching, running at defences, deadball...

Enjoyed that :)

Nice montage. His one on one finishes were probably the best IMO.

His area breakdown:-

6 yard box:- 15 - 30%

Penalty box:- 32 - 64%

Outside box:- 3 - 6%

By body part:-

Right foot:- 13 - 26%

Left foot:- 26 - 52%

Head:- 11 - 22%

By situation:-

Open play:- 42

counter attack:- 1

set piece (inc from corner) :- 4

pen:- 3

For me - he needs to come off penno duties, not accurate enough. We definitely need to get him more of threat in the air - he's 6ft 4 and should have far more headed goals.

Agreed on pens, but for headers, you have to take into account hat we didn't practice corners etc under RM which undoubtably had an impact on opportunities to convert.

Anyway, here's to the next 50!

yeah there is that - but just from an observational point he struggles to anticipate the correct flight of the ball with which to time his jump and meet it at the "highest point that he can connect with"

this is nothing to do with height - its all about understanding where he needs to be, Ferguson, Naisy, Cahill, absolute masters at it - the last two were no taller than 5ft 10 but their timing and aggression were superb.

This is something he can work at - Koeman will not let him off with it.