IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

bingo

It's absolute nonsense. For one, many of firminho's sprints will be to close defenders down. Now forgive me for stating the obvious but defenders get loads of time on the ball against us. There is only bolassie that seems to bother closing down.

Second point firminho supposedly has reasons to sprint because of the other players? A striker making a sprint or run shouldn't be the reaction to a pass... it's the action that gives the midfielder "the picture" to make the pass. The number of times barkley gets the ball and Rom is just stood there takes the piss.

Hafs right, you need to make your move before the ball is played, it's called good movement, has Haf said let's the person playing the ball put it space you are running into, movement without receiving the ball is just as important it can drag defenders out of position and leave a space for someone else to receive the ball in.

Good strikers are always moving, whether that's to receive the ball, create space for someone else or trying to win it back.

If Hafs stat is right then we need more from Rom whether in possession of the ball or not.

Hafs right, you need to make your move before the ball is played, it's called good movement, has Haf said let's the person playing the ball put it space you are running into, movement without receiving the ball is just as important it can drag defenders out of position and leave a space for someone else to receive the ball in.

Good strikers are always moving, whether that's to receive the ball, create space for someone else or trying to win it back.

If Hafs stat is right then we need more from Rom whether in possession of the ball or not.

Costa today was outstanding. He probably didn't have a great deal of touches. In fact just checked... he made 16 passes. 1 tackle won 6 duels and lost 6 but he was brilliant in everything he did. His energy created openings for hazard all over the place. The man city defence could not handle him and no it wasn't because octel his "sevice"... it was his endeavour.

The movement thing is a two-way street IMO. Lukaku could move around all over the place but it wouldn't do much good when we have no players up there supporting him. We don't get our players near enough to him for any movement he makes to be effective. What I mean is Lukaku could wander all over the oppositions backline trying to find an opening but they can just pass him on to the next defender with no worries whatsoever because there is no other player to occupy them, they can just concentrate on Lukaku.

Lukaku can be lazy and he does need to do more in games, but lets not act like it's all on him. Our attackers are a pile of shite at the minute and they all need to be better, they all need to take responsibility for the fact we don't look like being able to create ourselves a way out of a paper bag.

Edited by Romey 1878

The movement thing is a two-way street IMO. Lukaku could move around all over the place but it wouldn't do much good when we have no players up there supporting him. We don't get our players near enough to him for any movement he makes to be effective. What I mean is Lukaku could wander all over the oppositions backline trying to find an opening but they can just pass him on to the next defender with no worries whatsoever because there is no other player to occupy them, they can just concentrate on Lukaku.

Lukaku can be lazy and he does need to do more in games, but lets not act like it's all on him. Our attackers are a pile of shite at the minute and they all need to be better, they all need to take responsibility for the fact we don't look like being able to create ourselves a way out of a paper bag.

The times he points and runs only for Barkley (or anyone else for that matter) to hold on to it far too long so he's now offside had to stop check his run and come back on himself are astonishing.

He must get infuriated by it because it's week in week out.

The times he points and runs only for Barkley (or anyone else for that matter) to hold on to it far too long so he's now offside had to stop check his run and come back on himself are astonishing.

He must get infuriated by it because it's week in week out.

Our attackers need to start realising that they're part of a team instead of playing like individuals. Martinez' first season our link-up play was a joy to watch, and then the following two seasons they just wanted to do it all themselves. It hasn't changed. Mirallas, Deulofeu, Bolasie, Barkley they all get the ball and want to hold on to it even when a quick pass is the right option. I think Bolasie is probably the biggest culprit. Too eager to please because he's new? I hope that's all it is and he improves. The amount of times he ignores a simple pass to a free teammate and then loses the ball in the next moment is infuriating.

The movement thing is a two-way street IMO.

Lukaku can be lazy and he does need to do more in games,

You must recognise that he needs to improve in this area though?

Off th ball movement would also create space for others to operate, which would in turn benefit him.

Jus because others also need to improve, shouldn't mean he is exempt.

Edited by Romey 1878

First off look at Barkley's game and when it looks best.... he looks far better when he is deeper with the ball - most will agree with me on this. Lack of trust in ball retention is the only reason he's not deep.

The reason he looks offensively better deeper is because there are permutations for him when he has the ball. There is more shape changing in the picture in front of him... there will be players to choose from - pockets to exploit. Essentially it's a more stimulating outlook for his creativity.

Now when he is in the number 10 position why is he so void of options and supposedly poor with his decisions? It's because he has very little to choose from.

It's all very well saying Rom makes a run and points to where he wants it... it's 9/10 times not a doable pass. Lukakus movement is absolutely shocking and one dimensionally lazy. It's like a primary school team who has a quick lad up front and all he does is run in straight lines hoping that a hoof over the top will allow him to win a range either and get a one on one with the keeper. This is premier league football - defences work hard on two banks of 4 and employ a defender mid to cut that out. A set up to deny Rom the through ball option.

Last week barkley picked up the ball with a marker approaching him - hit a pass to Rom who had a defender behind him and ran for the give and go - it would have taken 2 defenders out the game. Lukaku interpreted it as a through ball... messed it up and blamed barkley. Ross rightly tore into him - it was a fundamental move that our striker ballsed up because all he thinks about is "get the ball through on goal".

He doesn't move intelligently at all. At the euros the pundits picked up on this. Shearer and refknapp have said before now on other occasions that he isolates himself.

Simply put - carraghers criticism and observations are spot on.

Up till this people had argued that he does work hard... facts have proved that he doesn't. It's not like there is a small margin... the gaps are huge.

I've said before now that he needs to lose some bulk - i still say that now.

Edited by Hafnia

Costa today was outstanding. He probably didn't have a great deal of touches. In fact just checked... he made 16 passes. 1 tackle won 6 duels and lost 6 but he was brilliant in everything he did. His energy created openings for hazard all over the place. The man city defence could not handle him and no it wasn't because octel his "sevice"... it was his endeavour.

How good was Costa last year in a shit team though? How far did he run then?

How good was Costa last year in a shit team though? How far did he run then?

"Shit team" or a mourinho destroyed team? 11 goals in 17 games when they got rid of the Portuguese bell end. So yeah... pretty good.

But its not just about goals is it... You know what you are gonna get from that lad... ask our back 3 from 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Bailey stop being so pissed off when stats come out that support the view that Rom is a lazy fucker. No one disputes his goal scoring ratio because after all he is actually a good finisher. The same should be said for his work rate - or lack of it.

I expect him to put in a shift today. Usually happens when he's been questioned... just like downing tools happens after he often gets praised.

Why should our striker close down defenders when our midfielders don't close down anyone?

Firminho has to close down defenders because the players behind him are doing the same thing.

If Lukaku was running around closing down players and then sees his midfield doing fuck all, he isn't going to bother anymore.

I hope he scores today though, we need it.

Haf, on your last point. You expect a shift because he's been questioned. Who has been questioning him other than you? I've not seen the media all over him saying he's lazy, or his manager.

Edited by StevO

"Shit team" or a mourinho destroyed team? 11 goals in 17 games when they got rid of the Portuguese bell end. So yeah... pretty good.

But its not just about goals is it... You know what you are gonna get from that lad... ask our back 3 from 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Bailey stop being so pissed off when stats come out that support the view that Rom is a lazy fucker. No one disputes his goal scoring ratio because after all he is actually a good finisher. The same should be said for his work rate - or lack of it.

I expect him to put in a shift today. Usually happens when he's been questioned... just like downing tools happens after he often gets praised.

And you are saying a similar thing about Keoman. If Rom had that goal ratio you would be saying it should be judged against the whole season.

And that in a nutshell is your problem. I'm not pissed off at all mate, and I'm not the one posting on every thread about Rom writing an essay every time preaching about how shite Rom is while the rest of us recognise his benefits and flaws.

As I have said before those stats should be taken in context, as should all and your are being a massive hypocrite considering your responses to other people who have posted stats on here dispelling your Rom myths.

Anyway, once again I am going to (try) and leave it there because it's pointless discussing something with someone who has such an entrenched view. Enjoy the game.

And you are saying a similar thing about Keoman. If Rom had that goal ratio you would be saying it should be judged against the whole season.

And that in a nutshell is your problem. I'm not pissed off at all mate, and I'm not the one posting on every thread about Rom writing an essay every time preaching about how shite Rom is while the rest of us recognise his benefits and flaws.

As I have said before those stats should be taken in context, as should all and your are being a massive hypocrite considering your responses to other people who have posted stats on here dispelling your Rom myths.

Anyway, once again I am going to (try) and leave it there because it's pointless discussing something with someone who has such an entrenched view. Enjoy the game.

Again... you miss the point. You bring goals into the equation again.... we are talking about a player who needs to work for the team and we get back to "goals".

Koeman has stated numerous time that we aren't working hard from the front. Pundits are picking up on it... but it's ok cos Rom scores goals at a decent rate.

Not in my book it ain't. This whole Billy's boots appraisal of a player is a joke. He needs to pull his finger out but you won't hold him accountable.

Your right Haf, pretty spot on.

But this shouldn't be a Lukaku thread, it should be an 80% of the team thread!

So many of our players are underperforming and not working hard enough. No passion or belief.

But the manager is that blame just as much as the players.

He should be braver and make the rough hard decisions, I could pick the same team every week and lose.....it's easy.

Your right Haf, pretty spot on.

But this shouldn't be a Lukaku thread, it should be an 80% of the team thread!

So many of our players are underperforming and not working hard enough. No passion or belief.

But the manager is that blame just as much as the players.

He should be braver and make the rough hard decisions, I could pick the same team every week and lose.....it's easy.

He will take offence to having his work rate questioned and I expect a game from him today.

StevO you ask why should Lukaku bother to close down defenders, when the midfield don't.

1) That's what your manager has asked you to do.

2) Lead by example.

3) Professional pride.

4) For the people who pay towards your wages.

5) The badge he wears tells him if you play for this club only your best will do.

To be honest you could go on for ever, and there's more than just Lukaku who aren't leaving everything they've got on the pitch.

Again... you miss the point. You bring goals into the equation again.... we are talking about a player who needs to work for the team and we get back to "goals".

Koeman has stated numerous time that we aren't working hard from the front. Pundits are picking up on it... but it's ok cos Rom scores goals at a decent rate.

Not in my book it ain't. This whole Billy's boots appraisal of a player is a joke. He needs to pull his finger out but you won't hold him accountable.

Never said that fella, you brought up goals with Costa.

Out of interest, if Rom and Costa swapped teams do you think they would be averaging those same stats for the different club?

His work rate has been rightly questioned and I'm of the opinion that he still didn't show up today. Last 15 mins for him and the rest, per usual. If he added attitude and effort to his locker than this thread would finally close.

I don't agree with hammering our own players with negativity, but effort, or lack there of, doesn't go unnoticed. Valencia did well when he came on. Lukaku will be more engaged with him or someone similar next to him.

The long balls don't do us any favours nor Lukaku, our last 20-25 minutes of ball to feet proved that, I felt that was one of Lukakus better games of late, his work rate was better than normal he kept showing for the ball, and although he didn't have an attempt at goal he gave their defence problems which helped the players around him.