IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

Take Either player for goals - Kane for overall game imo.

Serious question... can you name a player (in your opinion of course) who would realistically come to us who would be better for us than Lukaku?

I personally couldn't but I rate him as one of the best strikers in world football.

How do you know this? You don't. Most on here had him down for being a lemon and his run of goals and performances was met with silence, as was his return from a summer break with 5 pounds of muscle which seen him push in the side.

He is pretty much the backup for coutinho.

For a 21 year old - i dont think there is much wrong with the lad. He is a good player and will be a top player.

What has age got to do with it ? Half his games were in an inferior league, his goals don't count!

Serious question... can you name a player (in your opinion of course) who would realistically come to us who would be better for us than Lukaku?

I personally couldn't but I rate him as one of the best strikers in world football.

OK... so to retain lukaku we are going to pay £150k a week is that right? And even then it appears he's reluctant to stay so

It's not like we have choice in this.

If that's the case then £150k opens the door to many viable options in the striker department. Very good striker options who may have different skill sets. Inaki William, belotti, bas dost.

I think the reason so many of you are under the belief that we can't get a striker to replace him is the same reason that you think we are lucky to have got him in the first place - you are used to Everton operating in the lower ends of the transfer market.

We put proper money into his transfer - proper money. His new contract would be serious wages - so the answer is - for the sort of cash we are offering we would attract a good player.

Either way - he's pretty certain to be off. He has been desperate to move from the outset. His goals will get him his move.

OK... so to retain lukaku we are going to pay £150k a week is that right? And even then it appears he's reluctant to stay so

It's not like we have choice in this.

If that's the case then £150k opens the door to many viable options in the striker department. Very good striker options who may have different skill sets. Inaki William, belotti, bas dost.

Inaki no, belotti jury is still out, although Haf my old friend I will give you one on Bas Dost. That guy scores goals everywhere he goes and honestly I'd be fine with signing him. He's not better than Lukaku but he finds the net. I think he's scored something like 24 goals and 3 assists in 23 matches in Portugal. Was scoring at will in the bundesliga too and still only 27 years old. He's worth a 15m punt I think.

Inaki no, belotti jury is still out, although Haf my old friend I will give you one on Bas Dost. That guy scores goals everywhere he goes and honestly I'd be fine with signing him. He's not better than Lukaku but he finds the net. I think he's scored something like 24 goals and 3 assists in 23 matches in Portugal. Was scoring at will in the bundesliga too and still only 27 years old. He's worth a 15m punt I think.

What I will say is that in the last few years we have become a team far more suited to having a goalscorer....

Under moyes the best strikers in the world would have struggled which is why what defoe has done is even more remarkable. Albeit I think moyes knows that he has to rely on defoe being in the box given his complete lack of quality elsewhere.

I would be interested to see how a "footballing striker" would do in our team. For me we have incredibly talented attacking mids:- Barkley, mirallas, lookman. Imagine a Suarez as the focal point with those lads? They would each get 10 goals a season minimum.

Suarez would lift any team like that, he is that good. Lukaku gets plenty of assists also. Nowhere near Suarez level but Suarez is one of the very very few true world class players.

Thing is pienaar never used to get many assists- but his footballing ability meant he was often involved in the critical part of the build up one or two passes before the assist.

I've often been dubious about assists directly indicating someone's creativity.

Now nobody shoot me here, but we should refuse to sell him and let his contract run out.

Doesn't that make sense? Say for example if we got 70 million for him this summer, that would be 35 million over 2 seasons we would lose on him.

70 million for 50 or so goals and progression in the EPL and Uefa Cup. Heck we could even seal a CL spot and he may stay because of that. Let's face it, realistically we have enough money to miss out on that 70 million and replace it with guaranteed goals.

We have more of a chance of getting CL football in the next 2 seasons WITH Rom than we do in the next 3 or 4 seasons WITHOUT him.

If someone offered you 130 goals from a striker over 5 seasons in exchange for 30 million would you take that?

Edited by AidanLewis

Going by Haf's definition of a great footballer, Freddy Adu is greater than Lukaku.

So Freddy adu was great at taking a ball fired at him - anywhere on the pitch and using intelligence and technical ability can "play" his way around. movement, touch, running with the ball???

He wasn't. He was shite at everything bar circus dribbling.

NEXT....

Now nobody shoot me here, but we should refuse to sell him and let his contract run out.

Doesn't that make sense? Say for example if we got 70 million for him this summer, that would be 35 million over 2 seasons we would lose on him.

70 million for 50 or so goals and progression in the EPL and Uefa Cup. Heck we could even seal a CL spot and he may stay because of that. Let's face it, realistically we have enough money to miss out on that 70 million and replace it with guaranteed goals.

We have more of a chance of getting CL football in the next 2 seasons WITH Rom than we do in the next 3 or 4 seasons WITHOUT him.

If someone offered you 130 goals from a striker over 5 seasons in exchange for 30 million would you take that?

I won't shoot you but I will say that what you suggested is absolute nonsense.

1. You honestly think that he wouldn't down tools if we held him to his contract?

2. You actually think that paying £750k a week (depreciation of £70m over 2 years plus wages paid) is worthwhile for Lukaku?

3. That if we never had lukaku then all of a sudden we would be 20+ goals less per season? We sold a 40 goal striker in Lineker replacing him with Wayne Clark. We won the league and scored just 9 goals less.

Every time he gobs off to the press about his "ambition" away from the club he should be fined a weeks wage. That'd soon shut him up.

We don't have to sell him this summer so tell him to put his transfer request in if he really wants to leave.

I've no problems with a player wanting to leave. I didn't boo Stones when he put his request in. At least he did it the official way.

If a club puts a serious bid in for him though we should accept it.

He is drumming up interest in him. Just being more tactful about it.

So he's made his decision and yet the contract remains unsigned.

I feel sorry for the fans gullable enough to believe that he has any intentions of saying.

I won't shoot...but I do disagree!

If he wants to go, I say sell him this pre season because this is the golden opportunity to get the maximum amount we can for him. 2 years left on his contract. Power is with us. We get maximum amount to find a replacement and move the club forward.

If we keep him another season, possibly against his wishes, he may not do so well. Either way, with one year left on his contract, his value will plummet. We'll likely only recover just over his original fee. Plus we still need to replace him.

Let his contract run down...that means we've almost certainly kept him against his wishes, he's most probably not done so well as a result, and it's probably had a knock on effect in the squad. And he leaves for nothing. And we have to pay full whack for a replacement.

My ideal scenario? This ain't gonna happen....we fire ourselves into 4th this season, we realise we can attract player 'X, y and z'. Lukaku says he will stay but we say 'Sorry Lukaku, you no longer fit our ambition'. Haha. How mad would that be. Fuckin hell.

I won't shoot you but I will say that what you suggested is absolute nonsense.

1. You honestly think that he wouldn't down tools if we held him to his contract?

2. You actually think that paying £750k a week (depreciation of £70m over 2 years plus wages paid) is worthwhile for Lukaku?

3. That if we never had lukaku then all of a sudden we would be 20+ goals less per season? We sold a 40 goal striker in Lineker replacing him with Wayne Clark. We won the league and scored just 9 goals less.

1. Not really, he still wants to earn himself a place in the best squad he can be in, and the better he plays the further to the front he goes into the shop window. Lots can change in 2 years and people can be forgotten about (I'm not suggesting nobody will want him in 2 years if he does down tools, however some teams will lose interest, limiting his options).

2. It's not "paying" £750k a week, it's failing to gain £750k a week, there is a big difference.

3. We would have to find goals from elsewhere. But how many seasons before rom (in the past 15-20 years) have the words "if only we had a natural finisher" been uttered. Look at the teams above us, all of them have a 20 goals a season striker, minus Liverpool and even without their top scorer, Mane, they massively struggled.

Edited by AidanLewis

1. Not really, he still wants to earn himself a place in the best squad he can be in, and the better he plays the further to the front he goes into the shop window. Lots can change in 2 years and people can be forgotten about (I'm not suggesting nobody will want him in 2 years if he does down tools, however some teams will lose interest, limiting his options).

2. It's not "paying" £750k a week, it's failing to gain £750k a week, there is a big difference.

3. We would have to find goals from elsewhere. But how many seasons before rom (in the past 15-20 years) have the words "if only we had a natural finisher" been uttered. Look at the teams above us, all of them have a 20 goals a season striker, minus Liverpool and even without their top scorer, Mane, they massively struggled.

He's downed tools for far less than a rejected transfer move - so let's not even go there.

So if i gave you a £1m car and told you that every week you kept it - it would lose £50k in value you wouldn't be looking to sell it asap? Unless of course you could justify renting a car at a cost of £50k a week?

I just think you enjoy the glamour of having a goalscorer. You don't need a 20+ goal a season striker to do well in football. You need a team that defends well and scores goals- who scores them is irrelevant.

I'd sooner have goal threats from various players rather than being set up to benefit one.

Edited by Hafnia

I'd sooner have goal threats from various players rather than being set up to benefit one.

Yep. Put my name in my hat.

That's not a slant against Lukaku (from me anyway!), but it is my ideal set up in a team. 3 or 4 players capable of 10-15 goals a year rather than one spearhead. Spread your bets!

So Freddy adu was great at taking a ball fired at him - anywhere on the pitch and using intelligence and technical ability can "play" his way around. movement, touch, running with the ball???

He wasn't. He was shite at everything bar circus dribbling.

NEXT....

Yep -- minus the intelligence part -- a bit like a Taraabt.

His technical ability, touch, and running with the ball is better than Lukaku's, and based off how low you rate Lukaku's movement, he's probably better than him at that too. Didn't say Adu was a great footballer, just "greater" based on what you view as a "great" footballer.

He's downed tools for far less than a rejected transfer move - so let's not even go there.

So if i gave you a £1m car and told you that every week you kept it - it would lose £50k in value you wouldn't be looking to sell it asap? Unless of course you could justify renting a car at a cost of £50k a week?

I just think you enjoy the glamour of having a goalscorer. You don't need a 20+ goal a season striker to do well in football. You need a team that defends well and scores goals- who scores them is irrelevant.

When has he down tools in the past?

You're looking at the fee of the situation at a very bias angle. I'm putting a price on the goals he would return in the next 2 years, along with the potential progression into the CL. We wont get into the CL without a "20 goals a season" striker in the next 3 or 4 seasons.

I don't enjoy the "glamour" of having a goalscorer. I enjoy us actually not having to worry about scoring goals and going through intense dry patches. Of course you need a prominent goal scorer to be successful. If you want to win a league you HAVE to have a goalscorer up front. Name me a team that's won the premier league without one. You don't win the league without a Vardy, Costa, RVP, Aguero, Berbatov, Henry.

A natural goalscorer is the most important part of a successful team. If he isn't firing, you aren't winning things.

Yep -- minus the intelligence part -- a bit like a Taraabt.

His technical ability, touch, and running with the ball is better than Lukaku's, and based off how low you rate Lukaku's movement, he's probably better than him at that too. Didn't say Adu was a great footballer, just "greater" based on what you view as a "great" footballer.

I think you played far too much championship manager. Adu was shit - had "flair" and a trick ... that's it. His passing was garbage.

When has he down tools in the past?

You're looking at the fee of the situation at a very bias angle. I'm putting a price on the goals he would return in the next 2 years, along with the potential progression into the CL. We wont get into the CL without a "20 goals a season" striker in the next 3 or 4 seasons.

I don't enjoy the "glamour" of having a goalscorer. I enjoy us actually not having to worry about scoring goals and going through intense dry patches. Of course you need a prominent goal scorer to be successful. If you want to win a league you HAVE to have a goalscorer up front. Name me a team that's won the premier league without one. You don't win the league without a Vardy, Costa, RVP, Aguero, Berbatov, Henry.

A natural goalscorer is the most important part of a successful team. If he isn't firing, you aren't winning things.

He downed tools in the last 4 months of martinez tenure.

I could have just plagiarised this but I won't.... I'll just share it and leave it at that.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/you-need-20-goal-striker-win-9397251.amp

It's easier to Google your assumption and see if it carries weight rather than take a guess.

It's nowhere near as critical as you make out. Nowhere near.

Edited by Hafnia

He downed tools in the last 4 months of martinez tenure.

I could have just plagiarised this but I won't.... I'll just share it and leave it at that.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/you-need-20-goal-striker-win-9397251.amp

It's easier to Google your assumption and see if it carries weight rather than take a guess.

Good article, well presented point.

Either way it doesn't dampen my point that Lukaku goals would be worth the value of his contract over the next 2 seasons. Not that the club will see it that way, they'll want to take the high fee and potentially invest in a striker from another league. It's hard to get quality up top when you haven't got CL football to offer. There is so much potential in some youngsters in foreign leagues which I'd love to have at Everton.