IGNORED

Longest Thread For Drivel (or the Romelu Lukaku thread)

. I'd keep him here for next season. If he still wants that move the following summer when we will agree to sell him, he will need to keep scoring goals.

A bit risky though, because he'll have only 1 year left on his contract by then, we'll be lucky to get half his value.

If he wants to leave, let him leave this summer, with our best wishes. He's been a great player and, despite what some are saying, i don't feel he's disrespected the club at all, and until I see one actual direct quote of his to suggest otherwise, I'll continue to consider him a modern Everton great. If Koeman stays, we still have a lot of pull in the market I think. There are plenty of exciting young strikers out there. Belotti, Icardi (why can't we aim high?), Mbappe, Lacazette, Alcacer, Inaki Williams. Yes, none of them are proven in the PL, but that's half the fun! Who would have predicted Kante would have been the player he is. We pay a fortune to people to find gems. Let them earn their pay. I don't want to hear any whining from the club, no excuses, no crap about how there's nobody available to replace Rom. get out there and use the money from his sale to get in 2 new strikers (because we need 2, not 1, with the Europa League next season).

edit: and needless to say, tactic number 1 is to stick a non-negotiable 70 million price tag on him. When nobody comes in for him at that price (and they won't), Rom may be chastened once more into staying.

Edited by Isaiah

A bit risky though, because he'll have only 1 year left on his contract by then, we'll be lucky to get half his value.

If he wants to leave, let him leave this summer, with our best wishes. He's been a great player and, despite what some are saying, i don't feel he's disrespected the club at all, and until I see one actual direct quote of his to suggest otherwise, I'll continue to consider him a modern Everton great. If Koeman stays, we still have a lot of pull in the market I think. There are plenty of exciting young strikers out there. Belotti, Icardi (why can't we aim high?), Mbappe, Lacazette, Alcacer, Inaki Williams. Yes, none of them are proven in the PL, but that's half the fun! Who would have predicted Kante would have been the player he is. We pay a fortune to people to find gems. Let them earn their pay. I don't want to hear any whining from the club, no excuses, no crap about how there's nobody available to replace Rom. get out there and use the money from his sale to get in 2 new strikers (because we need 2, not 1, with the Europa League next season).

edit: and needless to say, tactic number 1 is to stick a non-negotiable 70 million price tag on him. When nobody comes in for him at that price (and they won't), Rom may be chastened once more into staying.

good points. depending on how koeman feels the squad needs strengthened we could choose to hold onto rom, strengthen this summer and then next summer when he's sold he will have helped us win Europa league and the 30m we accept for him will be worth it since well be in champions league :)

Edited by markjazzbassist

I said this awhile ago. We've got money.

I'd rather fail to gain the 60/70 million and take the risk we will get into the CL in the next 2 seasons, allowing his contract to expire and potentially be able to secure him on a new contract if we succeed.

Those 50 or so league goals he will score in the next 2 seasons are worth the risk, we won't get into the CL in the next 4 or 5 seasons without Rom.

There isn't a single risk free player we can realistically replace him with anywhere near the ability of him.

I'd rather fail to gain the 60/70 million and take the risk we will get into the CL in the next 2 seasons, allowing his contract to expire and potentially be able to secure him on a new contract if we succeed.

Those 50 or so league goals he will score in the next 2 seasons are worth the risk, we won't get into the CL in the next 4 or 5 seasons without Rom.

There isn't a single risk free player we can realistically replace him with anywhere near the ability of him.

i'm halfway there Aiden. Do the Dortmund with Lewandowski and say fuck off, we don't need the money, you're our player and you'll play. Shows other players we are boss, also shows other clubs we don't bow to money. 2 great years of Lukaku in his prime? you're very well right we could be in CL or he helped us get in there.

im coming around to it.

i'm halfway there Aiden. Do the Dortmund with Lewandowski and say fuck off, we don't need the money, you're our player and you'll play. Shows other players we are boss, also shows other clubs we don't bow to money. 2 great years of Lukaku in his prime? you're very well right we could be in CL or he helped us get in there.

im coming around to it.

People aren't so keen on the idea mark.

It's not like he's going to refuse to play. He wants to put himself in that shop window more than anyone else.

Why do people assume that the team will score less goals if we sell Rom? Very very short sighted.

We had a striker who scored 40 goals in a season and we won nothing... either side of that season we won the league because we were a "team"... not set up to provide goals for linker.

Aside from that the idea of keeping hold of him to his contract for a year is absolutely laughable... we are not talking about Louis Suarez here- a player who would bust a gut to avoid losing a 5 a side game in training who was happy to give one last go before going to barca.. we are talking about a player who has a habit of losing his focus because he's thinking of himself and not the team and spends tabloid inches talking about who he would like to play for blah blah

I'll miss him for the games against the likes of Sunderland and West ham... But I won't for the big games that really matter.

I certainly won't miss him blabbing his gob in the media. He has taken the piss from day one.

Edited by Hafnia

Why do people assume that the team will score less goals if we sell Rom? Very very short sighted.

We had a striker who scored 40 goals in a season and we won nothing... either side of that season we won the league because we were a "team"... not set up to provide goals for linker.

Aside from that the idea of keeping hold of him to his contract for a year is absolutely laughable... we are not talking about Louis Suarez here- a player who would bust a gut to avoid losing a 5 a side game in training... we are talking about a player who has a habit of losing his focus because he's thinking of himself and not the team.

I'll miss him for the games against the likes of Sunderland and West ham... But I won't for the big games that really matter.

The best way for us to get into the CL is to keep rom.

If you think that losing a 25 goal a season striker is going to help us in any way you're short sighted.

As for the "big games" rom has the most goals against the "top 6" teams out of any leading goalscorer this season. Not many strikers score against the top teams because they concede less. It's not rocket science.

Edited by AidanLewis

I don't think Lukaku is irreplaceable. We might not score the same type of goals but we will get them a different way.

The problem we face is getting a replacement in straight away who can replace his goals and assists from day one. Look across the park, how many players did it take to replace Torres? And then again with Suarez, or even close to him?

I have no doubt there are players that can come in and do as well as or better than Lukaku but how many seasons will go until it happens?

Aside from that the idea of keeping hold of him to his contract for a year is absolutely laughable... we are not talking about Louis Suarez here- a player who would bust a gut to avoid losing a 5 a side game in training who was happy to give one last go before going to barca.. we are talking about a player who has a habit of losing his focus because he's thinking of himself and not the team and spends tabloid inches talking about who he would like to play for blah blah

I certainly won't miss him blabbing his gob in the media. He has taken the piss from day one.

I get what your saying but your comparing apples with oranges. As you rightly say the Lineker team was set up to get the ball in to him and we were overly reliant on Lineker, and it ultimately cost us the title when his goals dried up. Lineker was an out and out goal scorer, how many assists did he ever get?

I know you think that's all Rom is but the stats prove otherwise

This team is different , we have the most individual goal scorers in the league

Lukaku is a top, top striker and he is improving all the time, when he goes we will definitely miss him but we will get top dollar for him and we will move on

Ideally I would like him to stay, it would send out the right message that the club really does have ambition, but if he goes we can use the money to strengthen other areas of the team and get in a suitable replacement

The best way for us to get into the CL is to keep rom.

If you think that losing a 25 goal a season striker is going to help us in any way you're short sighted.

As for the "big games" rom has the most goals against the "top 6" teams out of any leading goalscorer this season. Not many strikers score against the top teams because they concede less. It's not rocket science.

He's scored 3 goals against the top 6.... he also went missing in those games bar the 2 he scored against an awful man city side.

The goal he for against spurs was a gift of a slip in the dying minutes.

Against Chelsea in the 5 nil defeat he was a disgrace. He allowed them to walk the ball out of defence... the last 2 against Liverpool and man u he was ripped to bits for.

Liverpool will get champions league without a 20 goal a season striker. Chelsea will win the league with costa barely making 20 goals. But Sunderland will get relegated with Defoe scoring almost as many goals as lukakus best season before this one...

Completely flawed argument. A player scoring 20 goals helps matters- no question. But a striker who can retain the ball and help the team be productive without it being a about him is paramount.

Sell and improve the "side" it's simple

Spurs have slowly done that compared to others and without Kane of late haven't missed his goals as others will get a chance the formation and dynamic will change etc

People flapped at losing Rooney and we improved and we will do that again if Lukaku goes

A striker who consistently scores 40% of the teams goals and assists another 20% is a bloody good argument in my opinion.

No it's not. Not when the team isn't winning anything.

He goes off his tits when he doesn't get the ball - even when tom davies played it to DLC he moaned like fuck. His ego demands he gets the ball.... fook me we used to take the piss out of Stevie "Me".

I'm not kidded by this 40% of teams goals - it tells a different story to me that we are set up to serve him. If he scored 25 goals whilst another player banged in 15 - 20 then it would suggest we are more balanced like spurs. We aren't. We are set up for Rom.... let's see how he gets on when at a club that won't do that.

No it's not. Not when the team isn't winning anything.

He goes off his tits when he doesn't get the ball - even when tom davies played it to DLC he moaned like fuck. His ego demands he gets the ball.... fook me we used to take the piss out of Stevie "Me".

I'm not kidded by this 40% of teams goals - it tells a different story to me that we are set up to serve him. If he scored 25 goals whilst another player banged in 15 - 20 then it would suggest we are more balanced like spurs. We aren't. We are set up for Rom.... let's see how he gets on when at a club that won't do that.

yes it is. His position is to score, create if possible. He does his job. If the team isn't winning it's not because he's not doing his job, it's because the team isn't doing it's collective job. Unless you're implying that when we're losing its Roms fault.

I have a feeling that when he isnt in the team, we will play someone else.

We may even buy another striker.

Aren't we the team with the most different scorers in the league?

we are. Wasn't Seamus second though? Think that speaks volumes.

yes it is. His position is to score, create if possible. He does his job. If the team isn't winning it's not because he's not doing his job, it's because the team isn't doing it's collective job. Unless you're implying that when we're losing its Roms fault.

His position is centre forward. Part of his job is to score goals... Part of his job is to hold up the ball and link up play to bring in the other players - to take pressure off the defenders and midfield. Part of his job is to win his duels to enable the team to push out....

He finishes chances very well.... that really is about it. Does he create many goals for himself? Does he batter defenders and allow the midfielders to expose space? Nope.. Does he make good runs to give Barkley the options to make passes?

£60m.... that's a nice sum of money to buy players who can do those other things.

He's scored 3 goals against the top 6.... he also went missing in those games bar the 2 he scored against an awful man city side.

The goal he for against spurs was a gift of a slip in the dying minutes.

Against Chelsea in the 5 nil defeat he was a disgrace. He allowed them to walk the ball out of defence... the last 2 against Liverpool and man u he was ripped to bits for.

Liverpool will get champions league without a 20 goal a season striker. Chelsea will win the league with costa barely making 20 goals. But Sunderland will get relegated with Defoe scoring almost as many goals as lukakus best season before this one...

Completely flawed argument. A player scoring 20 goals helps matters- no question. But a striker who can retain the ball and help the team be productive without it being a about him is paramount.

What part of my argument was flawed? Because you accused me of having a flawed argument then in the next sentence backed my argument up.

What is the point you're trying to make? Because mine is that we can progress further with Lukaku, rather than without him.

And a quick one too, if you look at the way we usually set up against bigger teams we generally sit back, isolating the striker. He won't score because he's on his own up there. Yet he scores against "smaller" teams because we dominate games, giving him more chances.

Listen to what you're saying and whilst you're at it listen to what others are saying.

His position is centre forward. Part of his job is to score goals... Part of his job is to hold up the ball and link up play to bring in the other players - to take pressure off the defenders and midfield. Part of his job is to win his duels to enable the team to push out....

He finishes chances very well.... that really is about it. Does he create many goals for himself? Does he batter defenders and allow the midfielders to expose space? Nope.. Does he make good runs to give Barkley the options to make passes?

£60m.... that's a nice sum of money to buy players who can do those other things.

i would've thought setting up 20% of our goals would've shown he contributes link up and hold up play, which has improved dramatically this season (still a ways to go)

Look, if we find someone who can take over the massive contribution to goals, then so be it. But I've not seen a single sensible suggestion in the last 2-3 years and honestly have no idea where the goals would come from. That's my biggest concern and until there's a proven replacement signed, that concern will remain, as will my support of Everton's record breaking goalscorer.

He's got the most goals for us by far this season and the second most assists in our squad. No pesky argument of "he doesn't do this or that" is going to work with me. Messi doesn't run 12km a match, ageruo doesn't score enough headers, Moussa dembele doesn't score enough goals, matic isn't a good enough dribbler. So what? No player is perfect. No player has every single aspect of his game perfected. Nearly 30 goals and assists combined this season in 32 games and people still believe we will be better off without that a season.

Absolutely dillusional.

Edited by AidanLewis

As I make that argument Moussa Dembele scores a goal. ?

Sky Sports Statto‏ @SkySportsStatto

Mousa Dembele scores his 1st goal since Jan 2016 from his 3rd shot on target this season in PL - 2 of which have come today

Think your point is still valid.

What part of my argument was flawed? Because you accused me of having a flawed argument then in the next sentence backed my argument up.

What is the point you're trying to make? Because mine is that we can progress further with Lukaku, rather than without him.

And a quick one too, if you look at the way we usually set up against bigger teams we generally sit back, isolating the striker. He won't score because he's on his own up there. Yet he scores against "smaller" teams because we dominate games, giving him more chances.

Listen to what you're saying and whilst you're at it listen to what others are saying.

Don't tell me how to listen... and don't get so riled either. Don't want your toys flying out the pram again.

It is a flawed argument to say that a 25 goal striker is needed to qualify for champions league because it's factually not true. Chelsea will win the league with a striker who may just get about 20 goals - mainly because his style of play has enabled the likes of hazard to get almost as many goals.

Arsenal will fail to make top 4 despite having sanchez score a shed load.

Its called putting all your eggs in one basket. And that is what we do..

"Isolating" the striker.... a convenient excuse for a striker not being able to give his team relief as an out-ball against teams where we get less of the ball.. something picked up on by souness and carragher. He is simply not good enough at controlling the ball, looking after it and offering the side a second phase of play. Hence ashley willuams losing his shit and baines probably raising his voice for the first time in a blue shirt.

But... if a you wanna see is his goal stats then who am I to shatter that illusion.

Edited by Hafnia

Don't tell me how to listen... and don't get so riled either. Don't want your toys flying out the pram again.

It is a flawed argument to say that a 25 goal striker is needed to qualify for champions league because it's factually not true. Chelsea will win the league with a striker who may just get about 20 goals - mainly because his style of play has enabled the likes of hazard to get almost as many goals.

Arsenal will fail to make top 4 despite having sanchez score a shed load.

Its called putting all your eggs in one basket. And that is what we do..

"Isolating" the striker.... a convenient excuse for a striker not being able to give his team relief as an out-ball against teams where we get less of the ball.. something picked up on by souness and carragher. He is simply not good enough at controlling the ball, looking after it and offering the side a second phase of play. Hence ashley willuams losing his shit and baines probably raising his voice for the first time in a blue shirt.

But... if a you wanna see is his goal stats then who am I to shatter that illusion.

At what point did I say that we need a 25 goal a season striker to qualify for the CL?

I tell you to listen because you make your own arguments up in your head. So LISTEN Haf, or rather read what people are writing.

Back to my original point, and here it is Haf, are you ready to read it? Okay... go...

We have a better chance of getting CL football in the next 2 seasons WITH Lukaku.

I'm not saying we wont, I'm not talking about Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal or Sunderland.

"We have a better chance of getting CL football in the next 2 seasons WITH Lukaku." That's what I'm saying. Read that and listen and provide an argument on the basis of what I'm saying not what you're needlessly making up in your head for a bit of attention.