IGNORED

The Odd News Thread

Louis

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Woman calls 999 over broken eggs in fridge

A woman called 999 for advice on storing a cracked egg in her fridge.

East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) said it was just one of several inappropriate calls they had received in the last six months.

Other examples included a caller who complained of suffering with toothache and another who wanted their breakfast making.

Last month, EMAS received almost 60,000 emergency 999 calls - a small proportion of which were deemed inappropriate.

Just now, rubecula said:

Woman calls 999 over broken eggs in fridge

A woman called 999 for advice on storing a cracked egg in her fridge.

East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) said it was just one of several inappropriate calls they had received in the last six months.

Other examples included a caller who complained of suffering with toothache and another who wanted their breakfast making.

Last month, EMAS received almost 60,000 emergency 999 calls - a small proportion of which were deemed inappropriate.

:mellow:

• 7 months later...
19 hours ago, MikeO said:

Bloke swims the length of the English Channel (Land's End to Dover, 348 miles) in support of cleaning up the oceans, and is met by Michael Gove.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45332167

If I'd seen Gove waiting on the beach I'd have turned around and swum back to Land's End!

I’d be asking myself “how did a blobfish get into a suit and survive on dry land?”

22 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Harvesting scallops using industrial-scale scraping off the Normandie coast, under the noses of French fishermen abiding by a conservation policy... I'm with the French on this one.

I wonder how this is being reported in the UK as the article Mike posted shows how differently UK and Iceland media portrayed the Cod Wars and the effect it had on sustaining the conflict.

2 minutes ago, holystove said:

Harvesting scallops using industrial-scale scraping off the Normandie coast, under the noses of French fishermen abiding by a conservation policy... I'm with the French on this one.

Me too.

Fishing is an area that's going to be difficult post Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/10/ostend-fishing-fleet-fears-brexit-return-to-british-waters

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/uk-fishing-industry-brexit-eu-subsidies-fishermen-european-union-market-a7954641.html

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Driving through Woodley yesterday (about 4 miles from Reading).  About 100 yards ahead, I saw two policeman on the pavement, just standing watching approaching traffic.  Immediately suspecting a speed trap I slowed down.  As I got closer I saw that they were in paramilitary uniform and were both holding sub-machine guns.  Don't know what that was all about and haven't been able to find out yet.  Thought I was in Birkenhead for a minute!

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/08/683359201/massive-fatberg-found-blocking-sewer-in-british-seaside-town

@MikeO i'm guessing you are to blame for this?  it says it's in Devon :P

Twenty miles south of me Mark, not guilty. Sidmouth is a nice little town and has a great folk festival every year (bloody hell I'm glad I googled that, Richard Thompson playing this year, must go) but it's a big retirement destination. Must have the oldest average population of any place in the country, it's like walking round a huge old people's home:P.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/01/2019 at 11:24, MikeO said:

Twenty miles south of me Mark, not guilty. Sidmouth is a nice little town and has a great folk festival every year (bloody hell I'm glad I googled that, Richard Thompson playing this year, must go) but it's a big retirement destination. Must have the oldest average population of any place in the country, it's like walking round a huge old people's home:P.

The firm I used to work for, the Managing Director and one other Director retired to Sidmouth.  Mike is right, the retirement home of Great Britain.

On 09/01/2019 at 11:24, MikeO said:

Bet you fit right in walking around there😉

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Man swallows goldfish....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-47666629

"Coles was sentenced to a 12-month community order with 200 hours of unpaid work and five days of rehabilitation. He was also ordered to pay £300 with an £85 victim surcharge and was given a five-year ban from keeping fish."

Had to laugh at that last bit:lol:. And what are they going to do in five days rehab? Group therapy with other goldfish eaters:huh:?

• 4 months later...
On 25/07/2019 at 08:25, pete0 said:

Seems like an opportunity for a clever lad to walk about with a sign on the front of his shorts "Free Ice Lollies" 

Need to think about this one...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-49129982

"March will now spend a significant amount of time in prison [three years with good behaviour?] and will have to live with the consequences of his actions in relation to future employment opportunities."

Or not?

"The prosecution said £860,840 was still missing."

💭 Would you trade three years prison for the best part of £1m? Have to have been well planned and well hidden of course. Interesting.