IGNORED

Landon Donovan

The main downfall for people is resale value and age. Well to be honest I don't get that at all. Distin is 33/34 and is one of our fastest players. Cahill and Pip are both past 30 but look in great shape, in fact I seem to remember Neville saying he's in the best shape he's ever been in at the moment. So why are we presuming that Donovan, playing in a league he's played in before, and therefore knows the requirements of it, will get slower just by signing for us?

Donovan, IF it happened, would be the perfect signing this season. we already know he can play wide, and while his pace may slow over time, I doubt he'll be a slug on the wing. With Coleman behind him on the right, or Baines behind him on the left, he has options to lay it off if he can't beat his man. He's a goal threat, he plays as a striker a fair bit and and he'd be behind only Saha in our list of strikers. He likes playing for everton, so much so that when Man City wanted to go in for him, he stated the only premier league club he'd play for again would be Everton. Morale wise the whole team know who he is, how good he is, and most have played with him before and know the positive impact it made. It will be a big boost in the dressing room to have him there.

29 as well is not an age where I see a player on the way down. I'd see it as more 32 onwards when all that pace and tenacity starts to burn away. It's true football is getting faster, especially at the top level, but right now I'd have to think he is in the peak of his career. he won't learn a lot more at this stage, but he is a seasoned pro. If we bought a 21 year old, he'd make lots of mistakes, be inexperienced, have lots of ambition but ultimately wouldn't want to stay if we couldn't further his career. Donovan has achieved most of what he can, i doubt he'd come here for glory, more for purpose. he knows the fans love him and I'm sure he'd play his heart out for Everton because he's proud to wear the shirt.

As for resale, well no we wouldn't get any resale value on him, but if we had a midfield with arteta fellaini cahill donovan and one of Osman/Coleman/Barkley in it, it would be a midfield that other teams wouldn't want to play against. I'm through being negative about the squad we have, it doesn't get anywhere and really our first 11 even this season is still strong enough for a top 5 finish. We just don't have depth. We need players and donovan wouldn't be the missing piece, but he would certainly give us options, and maybe I'm alone but I would rather take a risk on a player who wants to play for us and has quality, than buy a kid based on what we can sell him for in a few years because we failed to win any silverware or qualify for europe. I think with donovan and maybe one other decent signing, we could finish in that top bracket this season.

I agree with Romey. Donovan is a great footballer, but if we'd actually have the money to buy him, I'd prefer we go for someone younger.

Henrik Larsson was 36 when he quit playing, and he was still banging in goals for the likes of Man Utd and Barcelona in his last 2 years. Hell he played against a veteran Man Utd side the other week and banged 2 goals in for Celtic. Age is just a number, its all about fitness. Merlene Ottey is 51, she competed in the last olympics and if i recall almost made the finals.

Donovan is a brilliant signing for us if it happens.

Edited by Peter H

Henrik Larsson was 36 when he quit playing, and he was still banging in goals for the likes of Man Utd and Barcelona in his last 2 years. Hell he played against a veteran Man Utd side the other week and banged 2 goals in for Celtic. Age is just a number, its all about fitness. Merlene Ottey is 51, she competed in the last olympics and if i recall almost made the finals.

Donovan is a brilliant signing for us if it happens.

I don't want us to sign him because we can't recoup any money. Not because I think he'll lose his pace or anything. The financial state we're in, we should be looking to sell players when they get to that age, not buy them. We just can't afford to spend 6-8 million we have somehow managed to come up with (though we probably haven't, this is just some made up rumour probably) on a player that won't get us any money any more in a couple of years time. We should only buy players in the 20-24-age category imo.

who cost more? then be branded a selling club for making them good players and selling them off in their prime?

They don't necessarily cost more. We could have had Witsel for instance for £7mil. And until we're out of debt, we should indeed sell players when they get to that age. Otherwise we'll have no players and no money in a few years time.

They don't necessarily cost more. We could have had Witsel for instance for £7mil. And until we're out of debt, we should indeed sell players when they get to that age. Otherwise we'll have no players and no money in a few years time.

would witsel be as good? we know donovan is..we know he fits this team..he could make us back the money with the extra points a player that would provide..it's not all about buy and selling players and that's that

would witsel be as good? we know donovan is..we know he fits this team..he could make us back the money with the extra points a player that would provide..it's not all about buy and selling players and that's that

Witsel is a better player than Donovan imo. He isn't a winger, but I was just making the point that good players don't necessarily cost 15 mil. Most players in that 20-24 age category should already be good enough to make it in our first team, otherwise they'll probably never be, so it's not like we'd give them chance after chance until are finally sold when they are good enough. It doesn't mean our performance level'd go down if you find the right players. And I think our scouts should be able to come up with that type of player. It's the fastest way to get ourselves out of financial trouble, yet keep performing.

As we dont have much money we can not afford any risks.

Donovan is a dead cert, ok he has a decent price tag, but we know he fits in with our style of play and gets on with our players and staff.

If we got him i would hope we work out a way of selling shirts in the states to make to most of him.

Witsel is a better player than Donovan imo. He isn't a winger, but I was just making the point that good players don't necessarily cost 15 mil. Most players in that 20-24 age category should already be good enough to make it in our first team, otherwise they'll probably never be, so it's not like we'd give them chance after chance until are finally sold when they are good enough. It doesn't mean our performance level'd go down if you find the right players. And I think our scouts should be able to come up with that type of player. It's the fastest way to get ourselves out of financial trouble, yet keep performing.

not really that comparable if he ain't a winger..wingers cost money..simple as..donovan is a good player and wont cost 15million so i dont know where you plucked that number from either..my point is a players value when bought and sold isn't always the end of it..like matt said the name of donovan alone in america is huge

not really that comparable if he ain't a winger..wingers cost money..simple as..donovan is a good player and wont cost 15million so i dont know where you plucked that number from either..my point is a players value when bought and sold isn't always the end of it..like matt said the name of donovan alone in america is huge

Maybe Nike could buy him for us in anticipation of them being our sponsors next year and we pay them back by sales of EFC shirts Stateside! Works for me!

Attacking midfielders don't cost money? I said 15 million because you claimed younger players would cost more than Donovan. Like Matt also said, Donovan's name in America would get us nothing at all because of Kitbag. I think it would be unresponsible given our financial woes to invest the only money we'd be able to spend on players this year on a 29 year old who'll be just the same as Distin, Saha, Nev... in a couple of years. On the verge of quitting and leaving us no money whatsoever to buy a replacement.

Attacking midfielders don't cost money? I said 15 million because you claimed younger players would cost more than Donovan. Like Matt also said, Donovan's name in America would get us nothing at all because of Kitbag. I think it would be unresponsible given our financial woes to invest the only money we'd be able to spend on players this year on a 29 year old who'll be just the same as Distin, Saha, Nev... in a couple of years. On the verge of quitting and leaving us no money whatsoever to buy a replacement.

im not sayin they dont cost money im saying wingers cost more cos there are fewer natural ones about..and youre missing my point too..if he gets us an extra place or 2 which i believe he would with the goals, assists and general pace of play he has then thats worth the money especially if that gets us into europe to make more money there...to buy a young lad like gueye and wait 4 or 5 years for him to be good enough then sell and get no decent time out of him is stupid in my eyes cos we won't progress up the league

im not sayin they dont cost money im saying wingers cost more cos there are fewer natural ones about..and youre missing my point too..if he gets us an extra place or 2 which i believe he would with the goals, assists and general pace of play he has then thats worth the money especially if that gets us into europe to make more money there...to buy a young lad like gueye and wait 4 or 5 years for him to be good enough then sell and get no decent time out of him is stupid in my eyes cos we won't progress up the league

Well, if he would get us into Europe it would indeed be good. But I'm not talking about signing Gueye type youngsters. He was 20 when we signed him for 1m from a Ligue 2 side. I'm sure 6-8 mil could buy us someone like Ben Arfa. In fact, he cost Newcastle 7m. Granted he hasn't brougth them a lot because of his injury, but he has got the quality. And someone like Ben Arfa can play for 5 years for us and we could still sell him for more than he cost us. The same goes for someone like Witsel. We don't really need someone in his position, but he's just an example of the type of players we should be looking to bring in. They both cost around 7m, they are both good enough to push us that little bit further and they can still be sold for more than they cost.

Edited by Steve_E

One thing I'll have to say about Donovan is that MLS would probably keep Donovan from going through. LA wouldn't be the ones to accept any transfer offers; the MLS is consider one entity, thus, all the teams are grouped together as one team, and the MLS has the final say on all transfers of players leaving the MLS. MLS gets 33 percent of the transfer fund for any player. Yeah, it's pretty crazy. When we sold Altidore to Villareal the fee was around 12 mil. At the time, Altidore was a young player who hadn't really established himself, so given the popularity of Donovan here I'd say it would be hard for the MLS to let him go for less than 9-10 mil ( only slightly cheaper than Altidore because of his age). He sells shirts and is considered the one of the best players for the league.

Edited by TonkaRoost

• 2 months later...

i dont understand why everyone is complaining about re sale. after all the hype about barkley he came on against man utd and was dead on his feet within 20 mins. dont get me wrong he is a great young talent but we could sell barkley and rodwell (very overrated player imo an hes a mate of mine so just being truthful) for £45-50 mill (our debt is £40mill) allowing us as a newly debt free team to start again. new faces ie donovan,ljajic,possibly pienaar ect ect or whoever so we could then have 5-6 new face and still only be £15mill in debt (alot less than we are in now) so i would call £25 mill an 4 bigger squad size a pretty good sell on wouldnt you ?? if remaining a feeder club for a bit longer helps us in the long run im not gona complain. ps jack told me that he has a deal with utd agreed at £25mill fee to take him there within the next 5 years and that is from the player himself