IGNORED

Landon Donovan

i dont understand why everyone is complaining about re sale. after all the hype about barkley he came on against man utd and was dead on his feet within 20 mins. dont get me wrong he is a great young talent but we could sell barkley and rodwell (very overrated player imo an hes a mate of mine so just being truthful) for £45-50 mill (our debt is £40mill) allowing us as a newly debt free team to start again. new faces ie donovan,ljajic,possibly pienaar ect ect or whoever so we could then have 5-6 new face and still only be £15mill in debt (alot less than we are in now) so i would call £25 mill an 4 bigger squad size a pretty good sell on wouldnt you ?? if remaining a feeder club for a bit longer helps us in the long run im not gona complain. ps jack told me that he has a deal with utd agreed at £25mill fee to take him there within the next 5 years and that is from the player himself

You say lets sell him for £20 more than what you claim has already been agreed. doh.gif

Do you know jack then or just a passing comment in general chit chat?

yeh we grew up on the same road an i used to play footy with him down are street an that. dont see him that often anymore with him trainin an playin an that but still keep in touch. an no im not makin it up because im not that sad stevo both him and his dad have said he will play for 1 of them. an his brother was alot better than him but he lost his way and stopped focusing so got release by us but he would have been so much better

If we did get donovan, he won't be the second coming everyones hoping for. He did well whilst he was here, not anything spectacular.

Not sure how he's been this year, but the only positive i can think of is that it could give the others lads a moral boost.

ive got a feeling it'll go this way. Were so desperate for someone new in the team that were starting to clutch at straws. He was good when he was here but I dont see him performing as well or better if he comes back and thats what we really need.

theres no doubt he has talent, but not sure if there is really a huge benefit to signing him, i cant see what he really would bring, we need more than what he offers i reckon

Ive been thinking, bringing back an icon could be a great lift and the belief injection we need, if nothing else...

I think the aspect of Donovan's game that everyone is missing is his versatility. He plays everywhere in the attacking midfield and also plays striker for the national team. His strongest position is probably on the right wing though. I think he'll provide a spark because of the freshness he'll have; LA will be done with games about a month before this upcoming transfer window.

I think the aspect of Donovan's game that everyone is missing is his versatility. He plays everywhere in the attacking midfield and also plays striker for the national team. His strongest position is probably on the right wing though. I think he'll provide a spark because of the freshness he'll have; LA will be done with games about a month before this upcoming transfer window.

Any mental fast right wingers under 21 in the league we should have a look at?

Any mental fast right wingers under 21 in the league we should have a look at?

There weren't that many young standouts this year at the right wing position. The only winger I can think of is Brek Shea, but he plays on the left; however, he did play on the right side for a few minutes in some US friendlies and played well bringing in a couple of assists. He also likes to shoot, so I wouldn't be surprised if he cut in and shot on his lefty.

USA don't really bother with players until they are 21/22.. there are exceptions (Freddy Adu debuted at 14, Jozi Altidore debuted in his teens too) they prefer to put players through University first.

We do take the occasional American on trial though, we've had Zac MacMath and Josh Lambo over here. Moyes likes American goalkeepers!! ;)

Always the same Tonka, is it possible to get, say an U18 over here and we could stick him in school and say he is over here to study but likes football too? Or will the MLS demand a transfer?

USA don't really bother with players until they are 21/22.. there are exceptions (Freddy Adu debuted at 14, Jozi Altidore debuted in his teens too) they prefer to put players through University first.

We do take the occasional American on trial though, we've had Zac MacMath and Josh Lambo over here. Moyes likes American goalkeepers!! wink.png

Louis is right. Academies aren't a very widespread strategy used by the States. Usually young players join town clubs (that are usually u-17), and that is the only "academy" they are exposed to. Then again, there are some academies, but not very many. The guys that join up in the clubs here usually have to drive an hour to even get there. Footy over here is growing more popular, however, the US is so spread out, and that makes it difficult for a lot of kids to find access to a legit football coach. Michael Bradley (currently at Chievo in Italy) is an example of an US academy player though. Papa Bradley was also the US coach, so I think he saw the benefit of the academy-style for his son.

I would say that the best thing Moyes could do would be to look at the U-17 US national team. The will say that the prospect of European football is becoming more popular among the younger players. Over here, It's almost unanimous that the PL is where everyone wants to peak in their career.

Oh, and I think the transfer would be free for the U-17 players unless they have already signed a pre-contract with the MLS -- not very common though. Like Louis said, Jozy, Adu, and any of the "Generation Adidas" players. An American midfielder named Marc Pelosi just joined Liverpool's academy on what I believe to be a free transfer. dry.png

Edited by TonkaRoost

Oh, and I think the transfer would be free for the U-17 players unless they have already signed a pre-contract with the MLS -- not very common though. Like Louis said, Jozy, Adu, and any of the "Generation Adidas" players. An American midfielder named Marc Pelosi just joined Liverpool's academy on what I believe to be a free transfer. dry.png

Our U17/18 could go over and have a game against maybe an ''all star'' team, whereby we could pick the best, bring them over to complete their education? Only a theory like!

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I don't think he should come back because his loan last time was relatively successful and now I think the expectancy levels of Donovan are too high, I think people will be dissapointed with him second time around.

I'm slightly underwhelmed already. I hope that if we do bring him back that we don't do it again and again rather than actually solve our wing problem properly.

It's a no brainer to me. Is he good enough to get into our starting xi? yes. Are we likely to get somebody better on a permanent deal in Jan? no. Does he want to come and play for EFC? yes.

I'm in, for however long or short!

Agreed. Unless we can get someone else in permanantly then why not.