IGNORED

Landon Donovan

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news//tm_headline=landon-donovan-wants-fairytale-return-to-everton-fc%26method=full%26objectid=27928134%26siteid=100252-name_page.html

“I thought to myself a lot, ‘If you say no, then what’s going to happen next year? Are they going to let you back?’ That was hard, because I don’t want to close that door, I always want the opportunity (to go back). If I don’t have the opportunity ... I mean I’m an Evertonian for life now.”

Here's an interesting thought:

Except as otherwise provided in this CBA or otherwise agreed at any time in writing between the Player and MLS, the Player shall be entitled to receive from MLS (promptly upon receipt by MLS of such consideration) ten percent (10%) of any consideration received by MLS for any loan or transfer of the Player's services to a team or league outside of MLS.

In plain English Donovan would personally receive 10% of any fee Everton paid for him from the MLS. No wonder he's so keen ! $1million+ just for signing alone. Unless he has his own agreement with the MLS of course :)

Here's an interesting thought:

In plain English Donovan would personally receive 10% of any fee Everton paid for him from the MLS. No wonder he's so keen ! $1million+ just for signing alone. Unless he has his own agreement with the MLS of course :)

I think it says a lot about the man that he didn't come back on loan after finding that out tbh. He could have took the money and come back but not performed at his best for us because he's played non-stop for 2 years or whatever.

I think it says a lot about the man that he didn't come back on loan after finding that out tbh. He could have took the money and come back but not performed at his best for us because he's played non-stop for 2 years or whatever.

i agree mate, didnt want to let us down as much as anything.

he's thinking he wants to come back next year.

i wish we could just sign him.

• 7 months later...

I see where your coming from Louis but if this signing did come off it would be worth it just for morale mate. Where did you get the fee from Louis?

We're not in a position where we can afford to just chuck a few million down the drain though, and that's exactly what we'd be doing by signing Donovan.

I would love to see him back at Everton; however, I am biased, because I am an American. He's a really big deal over here and has won the MLS MVP like 6 or 7 times.

Having said that, I'd have to say that he is getting older... his pace could be decreasing... You guys should look up Brek Shea though... 21 year old American left winger. He's been brilliant as of late, and he's about 6'3" so he's got some strength to him. He'd be a good prospect for the future I think. He currently starts for FC Dallas and has scored about 10 goals this season so far... on the other hand, the American league doesn't match the PL in reputation.

We're not in a position where we can afford to just chuck a few million down the drain though, and that's exactly what we'd be doing by signing Donovan.

slight exageration Mark. We were all talking about how we need pace in the squad and a winger, 6-8 is cheaper than Nzog. Granted, he is younger and slightly better but Donovan is proven and experienced

Id be over the moon if we signed him, unfortunately this is all bollocks

Edited by Matt

slight exageration Mark. We were all talking about how we need pace in the squad and a winger, 6-8 is cheaper than Nzog. Granted, he is younger and slightly better but Donovan is proven and experienced

Id be over the moon if we signed him, unfortunately this is all bollocks

It's not an exaggeration at all. I'm not saying he's not worth the pricetag, far from it, I think he's a quality player and I loved him while he was here. I'm saying we'd be throwing money down the drain because there is absolutely no way we could recoup that money because he'll have no resale value because of his age. And that is not a situation a club like Everton cam afford to be in.

It's not an exaggeration at all. I'm not saying he's not worth the pricetag, far from it, I think he's a quality player and I loved him while he was here. I'm saying we'd be throwing money down the drain because there is absolutely no way we could recoup that money because he'll have no resale value because of his age. And that is not a situation a club like Everton cam afford to be in.

Whats the alternative? West Brom spent £6mill on Shane Long, if he suceeds he might be worth £10-12mill but its a risk and might be worth next nothing at the end of this season if he flops. At least we know what we are getting with LD

From a no resale point of view i agree mate, though Im sure if we signed him for 6-8 and sold him at 33 back to the US we would get 2-3 back for him. But if he can contribute to a top 5 finish and stint in Europe, he makes the money back that way. We can afford to, it would mean selling Rodwell or in 2 years time Barkely. Its not pretty, but im trying to show we can afford to.

Whats the alternative? West Brom spent £6mill on Shane Long, if he suceeds he might be worth £10-12mill but its a risk and might be worth next nothing at the end of this season if he flops. Atleast we know what we are getting with LD

In our situation we have to invest in players for that sort of price in essence. We must buy younger players who can at least retain their value.

Yes, it's a risky strategy but its also risky spending that much money on a 29 year old who's whole game revolves around pace, which will be on the wane now.

I don't like that this is a strategy we need to implement but them's the breaks when you haven't got two pennies to rub together, everything has to be looked at financially.

From a no resale point of view i agree mate, though Im sure if we signed him for 6-8 and sold him at 33 back to the US we would get 2-3 back for him. But if he can contribute to a top 5 finish and stint in Europe, he makes the money back that way. We can afford to, it would mean selling Rodwell or in 2 years time Barkely. Its not pretty, but im trying to show we can afford to.

So we sell a player who will have 10/15 years left at the top level to finance a deal for a player who could give us 3 or 4 years? That makes md sad :(.

So we sell a player who will have 10/15 years left at the top level to finance a deal for a player who could give us 3 or 4 years? That makes md sad sad.png.

No no no! We take what money we have and invest in a proven player that will give little resale money later on, taking a gamble that he is the missing piece in a very good team. IF we need money later on, we have to face reality and sell one of our budding stars. Thats not an attempt to make you feel better, because it is a crap situation. But its reality.

No no no! We take what money we have and invest in a proven player that will give little resale money later on, taking a gamble that he is the missing piece in a very good team. IF we need money later on, we have to face reality and sell one of our budding stars. Thats not an attempt to make you feel better, because it is a crap situation. But its reality.

I don't think we can afford to do that myself but I'll not complain if we do because I'd have happily let Donovan have his way with me while he was here for those few months :P.