IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

21 minutes ago, MikeO said:

How the fuck do cinemas justify their pricing for"refreshments? Just picking up wife and Josh and a can of red bull £3.99? Kit kat bites that Josh got in the supermarket on the way for £1 at £3.99? 330ml bottle of beer £4.49?

It's criminal.

nasty supermarket you have there by the sounds of it mate  sympathy is not something I usually  expend on shopping trippers  but in this case ….  expect the red bull has gone now but maybe you can get a refund on the wife and Josh? :lol:

ps  avoid the cinema if you can  they are pricey

9 hours ago, MikeO said:

How the fuck do cinemas justify their pricing for "refreshments"? Just picking up wife and Josh and a can of red bull £3.99? Kit kat bites that Josh got in the supermarket on the way for £1 at £3.99? 330ml bottle of beer £4.49?

It's criminal.

the film industry has been dying a slow death for decades.  for all the big blockbuster hits there are flops left right and center millions in debt.  honestly the threatres probably just make money on the refreshments, i wouldn't be surprised if they break even or take a loss on the movies them selves.

sad but true.  

12 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

the film industry has been dying a slow death for decades.  for all the big blockbuster hits there are flops left right and center millions in debt.  honestly the threatres probably just make money on the refreshments, i wouldn't be surprised if they break even or take a loss on the movies them selves.

sad but true.  

maybe if we had drive ins over here  lol lol

do they still have them over there MJB?

16 minutes ago, rubecula said:

maybe if we had drive ins over here  lol lol

do they still have them over there MJB?

here and there, not really many left.  when i lived in hollywood basically everyone i knew worked in that industry and it's been on it's deathbed for decades.  3D movies were supposed to save the industry (they didn't).  People just don't go to movies like they used to.

1 minute ago, markjazzbassist said:

here and there, not really many left.  when i lived in hollywood basically everyone i knew worked in that industry and it's been on it's deathbed for decades.  3D movies were supposed to save the industry (they didn't).  People just don't go to movies like they used to.

pretty much the same with pubs over here to be honest  but if we didn't change things we would stagnate I suppose  as long as the options are there for us older folks who want the chances.

18 minutes ago, rubecula said:

pretty much the same with pubs over here to be honest  but if we didn't change things we would stagnate I suppose  as long as the options are there for us older folks who want the chances.

i didn't realize the pub culture was on the ropes, the young folks aren't drinking as much or just not drinking at the pubs?

Mostly I think it looks more like older folks not using pubs as much any more  the youngsters go to places like Wetherspooms where you can not normally buy a decent pint of ale but they d a good lime in shots.  (or fancy trendy drinks) I suspect the smoking ban has a lot to do with it.

7 minutes ago, rubecula said:

Mostly I think it looks more like older folks not using pubs as much any more  the youngsters go to places like Wetherspooms where you can not normally buy a decent pint of ale but they d a good lime in shots.  (or fancy trendy drinks) I suspect the smoking ban has a lot to do with it.

ah gotcha.  if anything i think the bar scene over here is getting bigger.  the whole local brewery, microbrewery thing has blown up and everyone wants to drink the local craft beers and drinks.  bars and breweries are appearing everywhere.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

ah gotcha.  if anything i think the bar scene over here is getting bigger.  the whole local brewery, microbrewery thing has blown up and everyone wants to drink the local craft beers and drinks.  bars and breweries are appearing everywhere.

hang on to them we have lost a lot of them over here

• 2 weeks later...

Started a new job at the beginning of this month, it’s really interesting but going from a long period not working to then working shifts has really screwed up my brain. So tired, that when I tried to check into my hotel, they confirmed it was a different one 2 hours away...

fortunately they can put me up this week, but it’s going to cost me about £200 because of the mistake. Unless the new employers are very understanding, then I’m only out of pocket £80 for the cancellation of the other hotel (who were very kind, we had a good laugh).  

Utterly stunning little down though. 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Started a new job at the beginning of this month, it’s really interesting but going from a long period not working to then working shifts has really screwed up my brain. So tired, that when I tried to check into my hotel, they confirmed it was a different one 2 hours away...

fortunately they can put me up this week, but it’s going to cost me about £200 because of the mistake. Unless the new employers are very understanding, then I’m only out of pocket £80 for the cancellation of the other hotel (who were very kind, we had a good laugh).  

Utterly stunning little down though. 

congrats on the new gig matt, what line of work are you in now?

11 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

congrats on the new gig matt, what line of work are you in now?

A similar role of warehouse support but for a much smaller company than the last one, so there’s actually opportunity to get shit done with the burocracy (the CEO swings by most mornings to say hi, and his room in right next door. 

Plus, I’ll be responsible for maintaining and improving some conveyors and robots, kinda excited!

7 hours ago, rubecula said:

Well done Matt but why did you not cone here to Wales for work?  The scenery is pretty awesome too.

Just got our permission to stay in Swiss mate, be rude to just run off now

On 06/08/2018 at 00:22, markjazzbassist said:

sad but true.  

Only just spotted this.  Reminded me,  a bit of real live social history.

When I went to do my National Service in 1954 we did not have a Television at home. We lived near a cinema and I used to go quite frequently. On a Saturday evening, I always used to book by phone to avoid the big queue that was always outside. While I was away in Singapore (1955-1957) my parents bought their first TV as did millions of others.  ITV came into existence during that period.  On my first week after demob from the army there was a film on at the local cinema that I wanted to see.  I picked the phone up and phoned to book my seat.  A  guy answered and when I asked to book a seat there was silence. I repeated my request and the guy said 'there's no need to book'. That night, the cinema was half-empty and no queue's outside.  Everyone was at home watching TV.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Bodeans a US style bbq place on Old Street (Shoreditch) today, thankfully on expenses. £6.95 a pint, the meat was only average and the poutin was a let down to say the least - chips blatantly from frozen. Only positive were the staff who were nice and if anything over professional, should've kicked out an obnoxious snobby Londoner twat but they waited to him. 

Any how point is, if you're in London it's probably worth giving this place a miss. 

Tuesday night, I rolled out of bed and split my nose open from top to bottom. Will be in the hospital until Monday apparently and god knows how many stitches they put in. They said it needed double suturing and I’m pretty sure I could see bone once I’d gotten to the bathroom mirror. Hotel room looked like a horror film!

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Tuesday night, I rolled out of bed and split my nose open from top to bottom. Will be in the hospital until Monday apparently and god knows how many stitches they put in. They said it needed double suturing and I’m pretty sure I could see bone once I’d gotten to the bathroom mirror. Hotel room looked like a horror film!

Sneeze proof I hope! Joking aside hope you're as okay as can be after such an ordeal. Imagine it was quite frightening on top of the pain. 🤞 For a speedy recovery.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

That sounds nasty, bloody unlucky to do that sort of damage just falling out of bed! Need a photo:P.

(Flesh wound compared to some though:lol: sure you've seen the pic before)

P1020544.JPG

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

That sounds nasty, bloody unlucky to do that sort of damage just falling out of bed! Need a photo:P.

(Flesh wound compared to some though:lol: sure you've seen the pic before)

P1020544.JPG

Lost your number mate, but drop me a WhatsApp and I’ll send them over