IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

4 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

stuff tastes awful.  beans on toast?  the english breakfast is a joke as well.  yes i'm serious.  i often wonder if the weather prevents english folks from growing vegetables, seems to be a large absence of them in their "cuisine" if you can even call it that.

Mark, don't know where you got the absence of vegetables from?  All supermarkets are stacked out with fresh vegetables and most people have a healthy diet of veg. Currently, my fridge/freezer is stacked out with Pots, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Peas, Sprouts. Also salads, Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato's, Celery.  Having said all that, a well cooked English breakfast is one of the best meals you will get anywhere.  Beats American fast food any day!😁

33 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

stuff tastes awful.  beans on toast?  the english breakfast is a joke as well.  yes i'm serious.  i often wonder if the weather prevents english folks from growing vegetables, seems to be a large absence of them in their "cuisine" if you can even call it that.

Compared to waffles, that stuff they call bacon in America, and maple syrup... More chance of me convincing the rest on here that Gana is rubbish 🙃

58 minutes ago, johnh said:

Mark, don't know where you got the absence of vegetables from?  All supermarkets are stacked out with fresh vegetables and most people have a healthy diet of veg. Currently, my fridge/freezer is stacked out with Pots, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Peas, Sprouts. Also salads, Lettuce, Cucumber, Tomato's, Celery.  Having said all that, a well cooked English breakfast is one of the best meals you will get anywhere.  Beats American fast food any day!😁

I’m not talking about fast food, I don’t eat that stuff either.  I’m not acting like American cuisine is good, it’s not.  But neither is English foodz  Classic English meals are a pie like you eat at the match, there is meat, is there veg in there? Fish and chips (no veg)?  English breakfast, etc.  maybe it’s because I was a vegetarian for a long time but your meals look very meat and starch heavy.  Even the “chippy and curry” where you get curry with chips.  That’s all starch.

I prefer Mediterranean (Greek, Italian, Lebanese) or various Asian cuisines (Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese) The most.

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Then you haven't had a Southern American breakfast then. 😎

Any home cooked meal beats fast food!

Back me up, @markjazzbassist

1 hour ago, johnh said:

a good full English is only beaten by a good full Irish and not by much imho

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m not talking about fast food, I don’t eat that stuff either.  I’m not acting like American cuisine is good, it’s not.  But neither is English foodz  Classic English meals are a pie like you eat at the match, there is meat, is there veg in there? Fish and chips (no veg)?  English breakfast, etc.  maybe it’s because I was a vegetarian for a long time but your meals look very meat and starch heavy.  Even the “chippy and curry” where you get curry with chips.  That’s all starch.

I prefer Mediterranean (Greek, Italian, Lebanese) or various Asian cuisines (Thai, Vietnamese, Korean, Japanese) The most.

Pies have vegetables in, fish and chips tends to come with mushy peas and the curry sauce base is fruit. 

Asian has a lot of variety but can't agree with Italian and Greek, one is mostly starchy pasta and the other is very potato (and lemon) heavy. 

As for breakfast do many countries have veg to start the day? 

25 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Pies have vegetables in, fish and chips tends to come with mushy peas and the curry sauce base is fruit. 

Asian has a lot of variety but can't agree with Italian and Greek, one is mostly starchy pasta and the other is very potato (and lemon) heavy. 

As for breakfast do many countries have veg to start the day? 

i had a fresh juice made of vegetables, fruit and fresh ginger every morning for the last week.  i have a juicer though.

10 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i had a fresh juice made of vegetables, fruit and fresh ginger every morning for the last week.  i have a juicer though.

A lot over here have them in their cupboards thanks to the nutribullet fad diet. 

My point is that most countries don't have veg for breakfast. 

Even without the meat a full English holds up as a decent meal. Egg, mushrooms, tomato, baked beans and potato (usually hash browns but in the posher places you might get bubble and squeak). 

10 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

A full English takes a lot of time.  Most people only have it on special occasions, I would say that the most common breakfast over here is Toast, tea/coffee, porridge or cereal.  Today, I had toasted muffins and a mug of tea.

On 14/01/2019 at 21:43, markjazzbassist said:

I'm curious, why do you say that? How often have you eaten in England? There is this stereotype developed by American film, soap operas and comedies is just so far removed from reality it's untrue, just like the bad teeth thing and the pompous accent. Don't get me wrong, they exist but they're the minority, as with any stereotype.

I'm a massive foody, and I love cooking. Only food I don't really enjoy is Greek (ate 2 times at 2 different restaurants, got food poisoning both times) and Chinese (very oily, but I love most other Asian cuisine).

The English breakfast can be, and mostly is, a work of culinary art. When I was home over Christmas, I had one every other day because it's such a treat from the local cafés (Hoylake and West Kirby have a few crackers). I don't mean pub food or greasy-spoon shit - they're supposed to be cheap and quick, you get what you pay for. But a true English Breakfast is special. I've even enjoyed the vegetarian ones! My only complaint is that they're often too small :D 

A roast dinner is pretty much only vegetables. Fish, chips and peas, pies are full of veg... British cuisine is fantastic, varied and vastly underrated. I'd happily take you on a food tour if you're ever over this way, we could follow it up with a Swiss food tour afterwards. If you think the British are bad with veggies, wait until you see what's here - cheese, bread, potato, egg, pickled onions, gurkins and wine for the most part - and I love it :lol: 

On 14/01/2019 at 20:33, johnh said:

Particularly if you live in the Alps where you can't get it!😁

only a quid a tin, if you can find them :( 

I agree with Matt about the English Breakfast being a work of culinary art.  Some years ago I used to visit Hebden Bridge in Yorkshire regularly to visit my dear old Dad when he was alive. I used to stay in the White Lion (Hotel/pub).  Their English breakfast was the best I have ever had. When they put the big oval plate in front of you, everything was still sizzling, straight out of the frying pan. Egg, bacon, sausage, tomato, beans, mushrooms.  Choice of toast, fried bread or hash browns.  Lasted me until tea time (evening meal).  

Matt I’ve eaten there a few times and eaten plenty at pubs here from British ex pats.  I did a simple google and all your papers have articles titled “English food it’s not as bad anymore”, “Europeans rated English food higher than before” etc.  it’s not just Americans, euros don’t like your food either and it has a bad rap with them as well .  Honestly I’m kind of shocked this is news to you guys, Americans are well versed At how others view our food and how some of us view it as well.  

2 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Matt I’ve eaten there a few times and eaten plenty at pubs here from British ex pats.  I did a simple google and all your papers have articles titled “English food it’s not as bad anymore”, “Europeans rated English food higher than before” etc.  it’s not just Americans, euros don’t like your food either and it has a bad rap with them as well .  Honestly I’m kind of shocked this is news to you guys, Americans are well versed At how others view our food and how some of us view it as well.  

I'm not a fan of your Wendy's and Deny's style of dining massive portions of tasteless food, but I have eaten in some excellent restaurants in Seattle and San Francisco, and I've eaten in some great restaurants over here.

But any country responsible for inflicting McDonald's KFC and dominos on the world haven't got a lot to brag about when it comes to culinary delights😀 

15 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I'm not a fan of your Wendy's and Deny's style of dining massive portions of tasteless food, but I have eaten in some excellent restaurants in Seattle and San Francisco, and I've eaten in some great restaurants over here.

But any country responsible for inflicting McDonald's KFC and dominos on the world haven't got a lot to brag about when it comes to culinary delights😀 

again i'm not bragging, i'm simply saying we are self aware of our shitty food.  meanwhile english are either willfully ignorant or blissfully unaware or their bad cuisine.  its like you guys just realized when i posted that your food may not be that great, which is a little scary having tasted your wares.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Only food I don't really enjoy is Greek (ate 2 times at 2 different restaurants, got food poisoning both times)

I could cure you of that (not the food poisoning, the dislike of Greek food) no problem Matt; it takes a lot to excite my taste-buds nowadays but the thought of a couple of places makes me salivate. Unfortunately they're both in Zakynthos so we can't exactly meet up for a snack:lol:; I'll be there in four and a bit months time though, I'll send you a picture.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

I could cure you of that (not the food poisoning, the dislike of Greek food) no problem Matt; it takes a lot to excite my taste-buds nowadays but the thought of a couple of places makes me salivate. Unfortunately they're both in Zakynthos so we can't exactly meet up for a snack:lol:; I'll be there in four and a bit months time though, I'll send you a picture.

I love the look of it but the smells just trigger memories :( 

19 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i have, i spent time in london

That’s the south, doesn’t count 😛 

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

I had a really excellent meal in the Lark and the Dove in Atlanta.