IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

3 hours ago, johnh said:

Mike,  hope the owners car isn'ttt a write-off!  I never rely on sensors, good job as mine started playing up, sometimes they worked and sometimes they didn't.  Last year, I got reversed into by a Chelsea tractor who claimed his censors didn't work.

Y’ald git! I’m getting a company car soon and it’s got beepers, but we’ve got a camera in the Citroen and it feels like taking a step back. 

I do miss handbrakes though 

13 hours ago, Matt said:

Y’ald git! I’m getting a company car soon and it’s got beepers, but we’ve got a camera in the Citroen and it feels like taking a step back. 

I do miss handbrakes though 

My Qashqai has all round sensors and a camera, Audi just has rear sensors. Handbrake problem is that Audi does have one and I've been known to forget this small detail and find the car rolling downhill as I open the door:unsure:. Have you got lane warning sensors? Bloody annoying, turned mine off.

5 hours ago, MikeO said:

My Qashqai has all round sensors and a camera, Audi just has rear sensors. Handbrake problem is that Audi does have one and I've been known to forget this small detail and find the car rolling downhill as I open the door:unsure:. Have you got lane warning sensors? Bloody annoying, turned mine off.

Handbrakes are optional on your island? I've never seen a car without one here.

Selfies, what the actual fuck? We went to a monestary dating back to the 11th Century yesterday and the astonishing central chapel was open (we've been several times before and it never was). No photography allowed inside so while wife and I sat marvelling at it three separate minibus tour parties came in for a two minute glance before going outside for their pics in the grounds. I had a long chat with the lady looking after the place who spoke great English fortunately.

It's like people tick items off the"to do" list.

19 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Hill assist on my new car is tricky having driven automatic for 3 years. Just giving it plenty revs when on an incline and praying it doesn't slip back.

My Qashqai has a neat system (which may be very common) where you can either put on the handbrake or put extra pressure on the brake pedal to hold you still for a second or two after you release to help hill starts. Hyundai i30 I had on holiday had something I'd not come across before, it automatically dipped the headlights when it sensed a car coming in the other direction, useful that.

2 hours ago, Matt said:

We’ve been advised by our towns website to not drink the water after possible contamination. It’s mental over here! 

Climb a mountain and get some snow melted Matt mate, problem solved! I saw it on the peaks when we flew over last week, strap on the crampons.

On 30/09/2018 at 18:03, MikeO said:

My Qashqai has a neat system (which may be very common) where you can either put on the handbrake or put extra pressure on the brake pedal to hold you still for a second or two after you release to help hill starts. Hyundai i30 I had on holiday had something I'd not come across before, it automatically dipped the headlights when it sensed a car coming in the other direction, useful that.

I was going to say there be driving themselves soon then I realised they already do. 

13 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

contamination from what?

We don’t know yet

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

Climb a mountain and get some snow melted Matt mate, problem solved! I saw it on the peaks when we flew over last week, strap on the crampons.

:lol: 

Went to IKEA yesterday because wife spilt some wine on a cushion she got from there and wanted to replace it (£15). Felt quite lucky to get out of the check-out spending only £54.....however, she spotted a couple of things she had to have and last night asked me if she could have Christmas and birthday presents early so back in today at a cost of £223. Expensive fucking cushion:rolleyes:.

But we do have a nice new rug in the front room, "Handwoven by skilled craftspeople, each one is unique. Made in India in organised weaving centres with good working conditions and fair wages." Sadly we also have a chest of drawers for the bedroom that is too heavy for us to carry upstairs, and I have flat packing build fun imminent:unsure:.

Is there a mysterious black hole where some of my posts are getting deleted? If so by who? 

Unless an admin has an issue with the content of the post for any controversial reason then can I expect them to be reposted please. If not then I see no reason to continue on this site. Simple as that. 

Ignore me.  Change my topic to shite internet.

20 minutes ago, hafnia said:

Is there a mysterious black hole where some of my posts are getting deleted? If so by who? 

Unless an admin has an issue with the content of the post for any controversial reason then can I expect them to be reposted please. If not then I see no reason to continue on this site. Simple as that. 

What's gone missing Haf? Looking at the logs in the control panel there's been just one post deleted in recent weeks, from the Tosun thread but it doesn't say who posted it. If you're missing several I can assure you that no mod has done that so unsure what's happening:huh:.

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

What's gone missing Haf? Looking at the logs in the control panel there's been just one post deleted in recent weeks, from the Tosun thread but it doesn't say who posted it. If you're missing several I can assure you that no mod has done that so unsure what's happening:huh:.

I thought there was a few missing but I think it's my bad Mike. Had a bad day today and I'm a grumpy bigger!

I wouldn't imagine any mods would do it as youre good guys and the work you do is appreciated. 

In light of the yesterday's Climate report, bunch of people saying they can't individually do anything about climate change as its too big an issue which can only be solved at global level.

Such nonsense, there is a lot each individual can do which will make a difference.   Everyone should take responsibility.

49 minutes ago, holystove said:

In light of the yesterday's Climate report, bunch of people saying they can't individually do anything about climate change as its too big an issue which can only be solved at global level.

Such nonsense, there is a lot each individual can do which will make a difference.   Everyone should take responsibility.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/may/31/avoiding-meat-and-dairy-is-single-biggest-way-to-reduce-your-impact-on-earth?CMP=fb_gu

1 hour ago, pete0 said:

That only applies depending on where you source your meat and dairy. We get most of ours from the butchers and dairy, taking our own packaging. Supermarkets killed those local businesses though back home,  so we consider ourselves lucky to have the option. It can be a bit more expensive but not noticeably in the grand scheme of things 

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That only applies depending on where you source your meat and dairy. We get most of ours from the butchers and dairy, taking our own packaging. Supermarkets killed those local businesses though back home,  so we consider ourselves lucky to have the option. It can be a bit more expensive but not noticeably in the grand scheme of things 

Be win win if people started doing that again. How supermarkets get away with the steak they sell is beyond me. 

Our local mini-Supermarket now provides paper bags as well as plastic bags for fruit and veg.  I always use the paper bags. The other day I needed something for the evening meal that could be done easily and quickly.  I saw a cottage pie and put it in the basket.  When I got it out of the fridge to put in the oven, I removed a cardboard outer package, then I removed a sealed plastic cover and found that the contents were in a wooden basket with a paper lining.  It was very nice but I reckon half the cost was for the packaging!

3 minutes ago, johnh said:

Our local mini-Supermarket now provides paper bags as well as plastic bags for fruit and veg.  I always use the paper bags. The other day I needed something for the evening meal that could be done easily and quickly.  I saw a cottage pie and put it in the basket.  When I got it out of the fridge to put in the oven, I removed a cardboard outer package, then I removed a sealed plastic cover and found that the contents were in a wooden basket with a paper lining.  It was very nice but I reckon half the cost was for the packaging!

Over packaging is a big problem, Mrs Wiggytop bought me some nice chocolate truffles for our wedding anniversary, nice cardboard box, opened it up, and each truffle was wrapped in a foil wrapper\bag, totally over the top, same  as celebrations, heroes etc.

9 minutes ago, johnh said:

Never found Kenneth Williams particularly funny.  On that video the canned laughter is way over the top.  But thanks for the thought.☺️

Beg to differ John, no canned laughter back in those days. I worked on recordings of Round the Horne, The Goon Show and The Navy Lark among others. They were presented before a live studio audience, canned laughter was a much later invention.