IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

New washing machine delivered this morning, didn't work (actually intermittent fault with the door so I managed to get it working after the installers had gone but needs replacing obviously). After several phone calls they said they couldn't get a replacement for the model we ordered so we could have another one and they'd give us an extra 10% to spend for inconvenience; sadly the new one the wife decided on is £339 as opposed to £299 so out of the 10% range so I called thinking I'd just have to give them an extra tenner and all would be good. No. "System" won't allow it so have to have this one picked up, refunded and start a whole new order for the sake of £10; can't get angry with the guys in the call centre because they were most apologetic and it's not their fault, but it's mad.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Why did it have to be done mate if it’s put you on a down. 

Finances Palf, only covered 2000 miles in it in the last year so it was just a bit too much money to have parked in the drive for most of the time on our income; it was great fun for the two years I've had it though. We can have some good holidays as a consequence, was always an indulgence from the money my mum left me and wife wanted to sell it a year ago so I got an extension:) . Sensible motoring in the Qashqai for now (until the next elderly relative has the decency to succumb and leave us another wedge:lol:, if my mother-in law is reading this I'm only joking:unsure:).

6 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Finances Palf, only covered 2000 miles in it in the last year so it was just a bit too much money to have parked in the drive for most of the time on our income; it was great fun for the two years I've had it though. We can have some good holidays as a consequence, was always an indulgence from the money my mum left me and wife wanted to sell it a year ago so I got an extension:) . Sensible motoring in the Qashqai for now (until the next elderly relative has the decency to succumb and leave us another wedge:lol:, if my mother-in law is reading this I'm only joking:unsure:).

Makes a lot of sense Mike running one car isn’t cheap these days never mind two. 

If your mother in law is reading this your in the dog house and your charm and flowers won’t get you out 😀

Been driving 25 years.....  

1st car 1995 £1,300 Ford Orion - was about 19 shit car really.  Couldn't afford to run it working practically minimum wage. Kept it off road and got train to work.

1998 - L reg Astra 1.2 litre, £2,500.... solid car, had that for 5 years flogged it for 300 quid after engine cables caught fire

2003 - S reg VW Golf 1.6, £4k nice car I guess but engine was way underpowered for it.  Petrol and a gas guzzler really with no oomph. Wrote it off in a crash that was in a bad Blackspot.... 

2005 - 51 plate VW Golf 2.0 TDI.... £7k with 70k miles..... fookin loved it. Perfect balance of power and enjoyment to drive. Economical and sporty too.... took it to 130k and sold when engine mount packed in.

2013 - date.... 08 plate mondeo 2.0 tdi....£4500 with 70k on clock needed a car quick and I knew it had been looked after and was going for good prolice..... hate the colour, not fussed on shape, but great car... unreal for reliability. Barely spent anything on it.  Done 130k and it's doing well...  I leave food wrappers in my car, empty drinks bottles etc.... not a great owner.

That's less than £20k spent on around 25 years worth of driving.... not bad at all.  My mates tell me to splash out on a car that I could afford xyz... yeah I could but whilst I've got a mortgage I'll not be spending big money on a new car.

That said I may be in a position soon where I get my next car due to age and miles of current one...  I'm possibly going to do something like maybe spend £12k on a 5 year old merc with top specs or jaguar XF.  Kind of treat myself but not throw loads on a car that will lose £8k in 3 years.

On 01/04/2019 at 16:41, MikeO said:

Bloke is picking it up Wednesday, if he arrives in a dumper truck I'll start to worry:lol:.

Knob has pulled out of the deal, and I'm off to Scotland on Friday so no time to get another ad/sale sorted until I get back in three weeks. Pissed off but it's worth more than £7k so might work out for the best in the end, still annoyed by the smug email I got:mad:.

Er, so the £7000 is no longer in my pocket:unsure:

On 02/04/2019 at 21:58, MikeO said:

Knob has pulled out of the deal, and I'm off to Scotland on Friday so no time to get another ad/sale sorted until I get back in three weeks. Pissed off but it's worth more than £7k so might work out for the best in the end, still annoyed by the smug email I got:mad:.

Er, so the £7000 is no longer in my pocket:unsure:

Oh, missed that.  Sorry to hear it.  I can sympathise, had it happen to me once.  Guy phoned me, asked me would I not sell it until he could see it. 'I want it ' he said.  He never turned up., never heard from him again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, MikeO said:

On the verge of losing another friend to cancer, admitted to a hospice with the tumour slowly closing off the wind pipe; steroids temporarily putting off the inevitable horrific traumatic end. 

Nobody would put a dog through that agony, they'd be gently put to sleep. I see no argument whatsoever (religious zealotry aside) against euthanasia; why extend someone's life for a few days/weeks so they can suffer for a while and then die in agony? Completely insane.

Sorry to hear that, Mike. 100% with you on euthanasia 

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

On the verge of losing another friend to cancer, admitted to a hospice with the tumour slowly closing off the wind pipe; steroids temporarily putting off the inevitable horrific traumatic end. 

Nobody would put a dog through that agony, they'd be gently put to sleep. I see no argument whatsoever (religious zealotry aside) against euthanasia; why extend someone's life for a few days/weeks so they can suffer for a while and then die in agony? Completely insane.

Spot on. The sooner assisted dying is legalised the better. 

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

I know how you feel Mike    :cryingsmiley: you take care buddy and try to ensure your friend has a happy ending as best you can-

• 3 weeks later...

One of my girls 30th yesterday so we went over to her place to take her out for lunch, her other half (smashing lad) had taken the day off work which we weren't expecting and he didn't fancy the Lebanese restaurant we were going to so it was decided wife and daughter would go for the meal while me and him went to a pub. They're trying to save enough money for a holiday with their kids next year so we decided to give her cash for that rather than a prezzie so we gave her £300 which she then gave straight back to us because she said she'd just fritter it away so could we look after it for her, no problem. Gave wife £60 from it to cover their lunch and had a great time in the pub while we waited for them to join us when they'd done, was driving so only had the one pint. Home several hours later I went to get the envelope with £240 in it out of my bag and it wasn't there, searched everywhere, phoned the pub. Gone. Only thing I can think of is it dropped out of my bag (I dropped it to be accurate, it didn't leap out by itself) when I pulled out the car keys for wife while I went to pay, underground car park so dark.

Expensive 'king lunch😠, but nobody to blame but myself; just glad the I took the £60 out for the women so it was "just" £240 rather than the full £300. Someone got lucky.

6 hours ago, MikeO said:

One of my girls 30th yesterday so we went over to her place to take her out for lunch, her other half (smashing lad) had taken the day off work which we weren't expecting and he didn't fancy the Lebanese restaurant we were going to so it was decided wife and daughter would go for the meal while me and him went to a pub. They're trying to save enough money for a holiday with their kids next year so we decided to give her cash for that rather than a prezzie so we gave her £300 which she then gave straight back to us because she said she'd just fritter it away so could we look after it for her, no problem. Gave wife £60 from it to cover their lunch and had a great time in the pub while we waited for them to join us when they'd done, was driving so only had the one pint. Home several hours later I went to get the envelope with £240 in it out of my bag and it wasn't there, searched everywhere, phoned the pub. Gone. Only thing I can think of is it dropped out of my bag (I dropped it to be accurate, it didn't leap out by itself) when I pulled out the car keys for wife while I went to pay, underground car park so dark.

Expensive 'king lunch😠, but nobody to blame but myself; just glad the I took the £60 out for the women so it was "just" £240 rather than the full £300. Someone got lucky.

You never know mate, someone might’ve handed it in

11 hours ago, MikeO said:

Really sorry about that Mike.  As Matt says, outside chance that someone handed it in somewhere.  Check with local police etc.,

6 hours ago, Matt said:

You never know mate, someone might’ve handed it in

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Really sorry about that Mike.  As Matt says, outside chance that someone handed it in somewhere.  Check with local police etc.,

Yeah I've been trying to get through to parking services at the council but they don't seem to ever pick up the phone; guess police is the last chance, I'll give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...