IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

27 minutes ago, aaron said:

Chicken pox.

My lad has gotten it, again! Thankfully he isn'ttt itching and seems his normal self, however he was sick Tuesday afternoon.

We thought E had gotten them but turned out to be a different virus that presented ina similar way. Getting them twice isn’t only rare it can be dangerous so check with the doctor (assuming you haven’t already)

19 hours ago, MikeO said:

My brother had it twice as a kid as well

19 hours ago, Matt said:

We thought E had gotten them but turned out to be a different virus that presented ina similar way. Getting them twice isn’t only rare it can be dangerous so check with the doctor (assuming you haven’t already)

Yeah took him straight away, he said he was the 4th kid that day with it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Going for a game of snooker this evening.  9 miles to the table.  After about 5 miles the A4 came to a halt, traffic queued into the distance. Switched on traffic news and it told me that it was due to roadworks at the Wee Waif roundabout.  I knew that the Wee Waif roundabout was a mile and a half from where I was and the traffic was stationary. At the next roundabout I did a left turn to go through Twyford.  I knew that a lot of other people would have the same idea but thought it might be quicker. The problem with Twyford is that the main junction in the town centre is a complicated junction and there is a 4 change cycle on the traffic lights. After about 15 minutes (less than a mile), I got in sight of the lights. I was about 9 or 10 cars from the front. The lights  changed to green but the car in front of me didn't move (lady driver!).  A gap of about 50 yards opened up between her and the car in front.  She finally started to move, slowly, and surprise, surprise, the lights changed to red before we got there.  I reckon that if she had got started when she should have, then her, me and a couple of cars behind me would have got through.  Instead, we lost another 5 minutes we will never get back.

10 minutes ago, johnh said:

Going for a game of snooker this evening.  9 miles to the table.  After about 5 miles the A4 came to a halt, traffic queued into the distance. Switched on traffic news and it told me that it was due to roadworks at the Wee Waif roundabout.  I knew that the Wee Waif roundabout was a mile and a half from where I was and the traffic was stationary. At the next roundabout I did a left turn to go through Twyford.  I knew that a lot of other people would have the same idea but thought it might be quicker. The problem with Twyford is that the main junction in the town centre is a complicated junction and there is a 4 change cycle on the traffic lights. After about 15 minutes (less than a mile), I got in sight of the lights. I was about 9 or 10 cars from the front. The lights  changed to green but the car in front of me didn't move (lady driver!).  A gap of about 50 yards opened up between her and the car in front.  She finally started to move, slowly, and surprise, surprise, the lights changed to red before we got there.  I reckon that if she had got started when she should have, then her, me and a couple of cars behind me would have got through.  Instead, we lost another 5 minutes we will never get back.

She was probably checking her lippy in the mirror John so don't be too hard on her, some things are more important than watching traffic lights:rolleyes:.

Again on traffic when I was taking Josh home the other day there was a huge pile up probably just two or three minutes ahead of us that closed all three lanes on the M5 for the best part of an hour. It's a strange bit of motorway where north/south are built on a hillside and both raised but to different levels; some poor sod broke down in the outside lane on the approach and had to take refuge (with a little girl) on the central reservation.....except there is no "central reservation" just a bloody big drop the wrong side of the armco. To be fair the accident up ahead (in which nobody was badly hurt) probably saved him from a far worse experience because the traffic was so slow.

38 minutes ago, MikeO said:

She was probably checking her lippy in the mirror John so don't be too hard on her, some things are more important than watching traffic lights:rolleyes:.

Again on traffic when I was taking Josh home the other day there was a huge pile up probably just two or three minutes ahead of us that closed all three lanes on the M5 for the best part of an hour. It's a strange bit of motorway where north/south are built on a hillside and both raised but to different levels; some poor sod broke down in the outside lane on the approach and had to take refuge (with a little girl) on the central reservation.....except there is no "central reservation" just a bloody big drop the wrong side of the armco. To be fair the accident up ahead (in which nobody was badly hurt) probably saved him from a far worse experience because the traffic was so slow.

Know where you mean Mike.  Just south of Bristol.  Always seemed odd to me when driving north, the southbound traffic is up above.

9 minutes ago, johnh said:

Know where you mean Mike.  Just south of Bristol.  Always seemed odd to me when driving north, the southbound traffic is up above.

You've got it John, spot on. Being not good with heights I always avoid the outside lane on that stretch when heading south, feels like I'm on a cliff road.

12 hours ago, MikeO said:

You've got it John, spot on. Being not good with heights I always avoid the outside lane on that stretch when heading south, feels like I'm on a cliff road.

Some years ago, I was on a golfing week in Devon.  I went in my car and gave a lift to a mate.  He also  was not good with heights.  When we got to that section of the M5 he crouched down in the foot well of the front passenger seat with his hands over his eyes and said 'let me know when we are through'.  He couldn't tell that I was in the fast lane!

8 hours ago, rubecula said:

8 hours ago, rubecula said:

getting stranded in Liverpool  travelled there for Christmas and hit a friggin massive pothole  so needed to get the sodding car fixed  only just got home  :crying:

Sorry to hear that Rubes.  They came and sorted out all our potholes a couple of weeks ago and I had just got used to driving up our road with several 'chicanes'.

5 hours ago, johnh said:

Sorry to hear that Rubes.  They came and sorted out all our potholes a couple of weeks ago and I had just got used to driving up our road with several 'chicanes'.

this was on the A55  on the way to Liverpool  I needed the car to be repaired before I could drive home,  was due to go to a party at Everton in the community at new year but we were both too ill.  and Christmas dinner was beans on toast,  so  I really was pissed off over the festive period.  and my phone was wrecked too.  so I am glad to be home in many ways,

2 hours ago, rubecula said:

this was on the A55  on the way to Liverpool  I needed the car to be repaired before I could drive home,  was due to go to a party at Everton in the community at new year but we were both too ill.  and Christmas dinner was beans on toast,  so  I really was pissed off over the festive period.  and my phone was wrecked too.  so I am glad to be home in many ways,

Sounds like a pretty miserable Christmas Rubes.  Choose a week-end, buy a turkey and you and her indoors have your own Christmas dinner. Don't forget the crackers.  Maybe it defines what a miserable old sod I am but I would look upon my phone being wrecked as a plus!

1 hour ago, johnh said:

Sounds like a pretty miserable Christmas Rubes.  Choose a week-end, buy a turkey and you and her indoors have your own Christmas dinner. Don't forget the crackers.  Maybe it defines what a miserable old sod I am but I would look upon my phone being wrecked as a plus!

oddly enough I sort of enjoyed it cos we were in it together ,,  pity about the footy predictions though  I made a right mess of using my phone before it died.

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Beans on toast is a meal of the gods 

sometimes it is the simple things in life  I was going mad for a plate of chips

26 minutes ago, MikeO said:

As long as it's Heinz beans, mushrooms on toast next to it and we're talking manna from heaven!

exactly that is how she did it for me