IGNORED

What Grinds Your Gears...

Matt

so cameron is stepping down or being forced out or what? i thought elections only occurred when one party's majority was lost. you are on regular election cycles like the states?

Every 5 years an election is held, this is the end of that 5 years. There's been no stepping down or forcing out. The dissolution of Parliament is just part of the ceremony of the whole thing, so that a new government can be formed after the public vote.

so cameron is stepping down or being forced out or what? i thought elections only occurred when one party's majority was lost. you are on regular election cycles like the states?

We've always had elections every five years or so, the only change this time is that the rules have changed so the date is always known, in the past the party in power could call an election whenever it suited them within the five year limit.

I don't think our system is any worse than yours to be honest, you're always decided by a few "swing" states while we're decided by a minority of six hundred and fifty constituencies (regions). My lad's first chance to vote and his opinion is meaningless, same as mine. It's not right.

We've always had elections every five years or so, the only change this time is that the rules have changed so the date is always known, in the past the party in power could call an election whenever it suited them within the five year limit.

I don't think our system is any worse than yours to be honest, you're always decided by a few "swing" states while we're decided by a minority of six hundred and fifty constituencies (regions). My lad's first chance to vote and his opinion is meaningless, same as mine. It's not right.

sorry for the confusion, mike i think your system is vastly greater than ours. the corporations run the country here. in england there are real campaign finance caps, no tv or radio ads, and people have views and run boring campaigns. here it's all flash and spectacle and "his power stance and red tie exude president", that's what people vote on. it's pathetic. corporattions are people now too so they donate billions (and by donate i mean legally bribe) to the candidates. you can't do that in england.

england - has some ethics. america - greedy with no ethics.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Just had the UKIP canvasser at the door. He said: 'have you thought about voting UKIP, no I don't suppose so'. I replied that he was right and he departed. I have had the Lib Dem's but no Labour or Tory. Mind you, for Windsor & Maidenhead the Tories don't have to wear out much shoe leather.

Just had the UKIP canvasser at the door. He said: 'have you thought about voting UKIP, no I don't suppose so'. I replied that he was right and he departed. I have had the Lib Dem's but no Labour or Tory. Mind you, for Windsor & Maidenhead the Tories don't have to wear out much shoe leather.

Still not a peep from anyone here, not even a single leaflet through the door.

Take your point MJB; but it still remains a fact that the system we work with never produces an accurate representation in parliament of how people vote, that's what annoys me.

Still not a peep from anyone here, not even a single leaflet through the door.

Take your point MJB; but it still remains a fact that the system we work with never produces an accurate representation in parliament of how people vote, that's what annoys me.

neither does ours. the popular vote is almost always contrary to the electoral college vote. the founding fathers did that because they didn't trust the common man and felt the urban centers should have more sway.

I had a letter through the door. it was a thank you.... for voting for Plaid Cymru. :shaking fist:

So when was this then? :dont know:

Nothing and nobody else has been around here. BUT if a pal of Miliband the Brother stabber or Cameron the Snooty come knocking I will ..... I will //// GRRRRRRRR :violent:

I had a letter through the door. it was a thank you.... for voting for Plaid Cymru. :shaking fist:

So when was this then? :dont know:

Nothing and nobody else has been around here. BUT if a pal of Miliband the Brother stabber or Cameron the Snooty come knocking I will ..... I will //// GRRRRRRRR :violent:

I'd love a visit from UKIP, not punched anyone in years.

Had a small lesion on my cheek next to my nose. Couldn't get rid of it so Doc sent me for a biopsy. Went to Heatherwood Hospital in Ascot yesterday (Don't drive they said so another £50 in taxi fares). I thought I would be in and out in five minutes. They froze my face which wasn't unexpected but then the procedure took exactly half-an-hour. They then put five stitches in the wound. Took me by surprise and my face looks like I have just gone five rounds with someone with a useful punch. The most annoying thing is I can't blow my nose!

My car got picked up yesterday to be taken for repair and they left me a courtesy car which looked OK at first glance. Black 2013 Nissan Note, but it's absolute crap; only a 1.2 engine but that's no excuse for zero power, I've driven several little cars with small engines and they've been quite fun, this is dreadful. And today the radio and A/C stopped working :rolleyes:.

Got it until the beginning of next week as well :dry:.

Can't remember if I posted this before. Way back in the 1970's I had a root filling at the dentist. At one stage, I had metal clamps and other unmentionables sticking out of my mouth like a Christmas tree. The dentist decided he wanted to do an X-ray and to get to the X-ray machine we had to walk through the waiting room, with me looking like I had a mouthful of spoons. I estimate that half the people in the waiting room got up and left!

Can't remember if I posted this before. Way back in the 1970's I had a root filling at the dentist. At one stage, I had metal clamps and other unmentionables sticking out of my mouth like a Christmas tree. The dentist decided he wanted to do an X-ray and to get to the X-ray machine we had to walk through the waiting room, with me looking like I had a mouthful of spoons. I estimate that half the people in the waiting room got up and left!

You will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

Good job it was at a dentist, imagine if you had gone in for a colonoscopy. Walking around with a camera inserted in your...... actually I wish I didn't have that image now.

You will be assimilated, resistance is futile.

Good job it was at a dentist, imagine if you had gone in for a colonoscopy. Walking around with a camera inserted in your...... actually I wish I didn't have that image now.

I had to have one of those a few years back, and then a barium enema to double check (my brother had bowel cancer and as a sibling a check was advised). Never again; you know you're getting old when doctors start sticking stuff up your back-side; and there's no use laughing all you younger members, it'll come to you one day and me, Rubes and John will be looking down sniggering between pints of ale with Dixie :lol:.

I had to have one of those a few years back, and then a barium enema to double check (my brother had bowel cancer and as a sibling a check was advised). Never again; you know you're getting old when doctors start sticking stuff up your back-side; and there's no use laughing all you younger members, it'll come to you one day and me, Rubes and John will be looking down sniggering between pints of ale with Dixie :lol:.

Already had one when I was a teenager, horrible experience :(

Good lord Yes. When I had my last one the room was full of young medical students .... all of them female.

Plus the waiting room was a common one so I sat in a high back chair to hide my embattassment (those gowns are awful) the chair was plastic covered the day was hot, and I had a sweaty backside...... one loss of skin later and I walked out with my arse showing to the world and a bright red glow to my cheeks.

• 1 month later...

Wife has just gone to bed in a huff, "if you don't know why then you need to think about it!" apparently.

I haven't got the vaguest idea :dont know:. Birthday and anniversary both accounted for, transferred some money to one of the skint daughters like she asked, cooked tea, did the washing up. Not a clue.

What planet are they from again?

Wife has just gone to bed in a huff, "if you don't know why then you need to think about it!" apparently.

I haven't got the vaguest idea :dont know:. Birthday and anniversary both accounted for, transferred some money to one of the skint daughters like she asked, cooked tea, did the washing up. Not a clue.

What planet are they from again?

Family outing or something?

Family outing or something?

Nope, but even if it was why not just remind me? I'm fifty-five and sometimes I forget things (I could invoke "chemo brain" but I never would). Why make me guess? Tell me what the problem is and I'll sort it out, no problem.

Hopefully in a couple of years when she hits fifty she'll get some sense, but I can't see it happening :).

Nope, but even if it was why not just remind me? I'm fifty-five and sometimes I forget things (I could invoke "chemo brain" but I never would). Why make me guess? Tell me what the problem is and I'll sort it out, no problem.

Hopefully in a couple of years when she hits fifty she'll get some sense, but I can't see it happening :).

Remind you? Where's the fun in that!