IGNORED

Ross Barkley

This is my worry too.

I think there may be an attitude problem. Everytime i watch him speak i get a bad feeling going through me, just does not seem to be the type to knuckle down. Hope i am wrong.

Ability wise, if i was manager i wouldnt be picking him because each time he playes he looks like hes out of his depth. He has obvious ability but in an individual ,seanse and not a team sense. He is still young and might just be the kind of person that will develop late. but there is a real worry here that we have been putting too much expectation on a player that looks at the same level now as when he first came onto the scene.

Like i say, i pray that i am wrong.

I still get excited every time i see him in the squad, i look to see how the reserves are doin g every match and i regulary check the England U19/U21s to see if he is being picked.....which again worryingly he doesnt often make the squads.

Please Moysey give him a game....i would take him giving a goal away just to see him get some playtime...it's not like we are water tight at the moment in anycase.

Too much emphasys on the young lad.

There was a time that kids his age wouldn't be anywhere near the first team, so strictly speaking we should stop expecting so much, and stop being impatient with his development. There is no need for him to be the next superstar. Let's just allow him to be ready when he is ready.

The lad has got to much weight on his shoulders at the moment and maybe he doesn't have the right mentality and might not be able to cope. The situation seems very different to Rooney and Rodwell as they both started playing 16/17. I know Barkley had the injury but he still should be able to play. Maybe its because whenever he comes on he tries to hard. For example, against Newcastle I think it was, he came on, won the ball a couple of times and lost it a handfull of times but also he would take shots from outside the box, miss and they would have a goal kick and the pressure would be off them. What I am saying is I think he needs to adapt his game before he makes a break into Moyes plans. He isn't a team player, he goes for glory and Everton aren't a one man team.

Ossie didn't even make his debut until he was 21. Like Barkley he had a bad injury that set him back a year and then he had spells with Carlisle (in the 3rd tier) and Derby County (in the 2nd tier) and then started to get onto the bench for the first team.

I know we're hopeful that Ross will be the next big thing but there is no need to rush him. Let him develop at his pace and then we can reap the rewards.

Strictly speaking, unless somebody watches the reserves etc, we don't know much about him. I remember somebody on here talking about 'Barkley kid doing well' and the next thing was we were all frothing at the mouth declaring the next messiah.

Moyes doesn't have it in for our young players. It's in Moyes' own interest to make them the best they can possibly be, so just because they're not on the pitch doesn't make them out of his plans.

Using tennis as it is easier to give a clear rank.

Look at how many titles Nadal has compared to Murray. Murray is arguably the more gifted player, but Nadal had the advantage of mixing it with the big boys earlier and it has taken Murray 5 years to catch him up.

Barkley should be playing, not every week, but enough to improve him and benefit the club in the long term.

hehehehe - when Sideliner says something it carries much less weight remember - so if someone famous can express the idea better - it makes common (lol) sense to me to use it -

same thing - if Mr moyes says something people are much less inclined to critisize him than they would have done if say mr Boyes said it - hehehe

There was a time that kids his age wouldn't be anywhere near the first team, so strictly speaking we should stop expecting so much, and stop being impatient with his development. There is no need for him to be the next superstar. Let's just allow him to be ready when he is ready.

A wise man speaks

the All Blacks have a favourite saying regarding the question when you should play for them as the nr 1 rugby side in the world :

" The question is not whether you are OLD ENOUGH to play test rugby , but much rather whether you are GOOD ENOUGH to play international games ! "

Why does a 17 year old Sterling from the reds play for England ? same reason i suspect ...........

if Barkley is not ready to play against a 4th league side when you are 4-1 up he is not good enough to be in the squad and then he should not be brought under the impression that he is

Really? when was this then, please tell us, the name Joe Royle springs to mind, also didn't Pele make his debut at 17 in the world cup, did him no harm either did it, the list is endless if you think about it for a minute, these kids don't get the relevant experience unless you give them it, and you can't honestly sit there and tell me that Barkley is any worse than the likes of Neville,Gueye or Naismith. Edited by Simon

the All Blacks have a favourite saying regarding the question when you should play for them as the nr 1 rugby side in the world :

" The question is not whether you are OLD ENOUGH to play test rugby , but much rather whether you are GOOD ENOUGH to play international games ! "

Why does a 17 year old Sterling from the reds play for England ? same reason i suspect ...........

if Barkley is not ready to play against a 4th league side when you are 4-1 up he is not good enough to be in the squad and then he should not be brought under the impression that he is

He is one player in a squad of players. Moyes has to focus on what he feels is right. Whether Barkley is good or not has nothing to do with his decision. Our team isn't about Barkley, nor is it about Duffy. Those who keep moaning that he should play the young players might want to get off their arses and get to a reserve game so they have a better insight. It isn't so black and white as to say if you're good enough, you're old enough. It's a case of if you fit into the managers plans for the next match, you get picked. If not, keep plugging away until you are. Barkley is one of many hoping to get picked, and no more important than the next guy.

Really? when was this then, please tell us, the name Joe Royle springs to mind, also didn't Pele make his debut at 17 in the world cup, did him no harm either did it, the list is endless if you think about it for a minute, these kids don't get the relevant experience unless you give them it, and you can't honestly sit there and tell me that Barkley is any worse than the likes of Neville,Gueye or Naismith.

If it's endless then why list 2?

In one game against QPR last season Barkley showed more invention and guile than anything we had seen from a young player since Rooney.

Is moyes trying to make us think that he's got worse since then? So much so that he is not good enough to get ahead of gueye, Naismith and hitz against lower league opposition?

I don't believe that for one minute, that game was PERFECT to give Barkley and Duffy some game time. It's all very well sayings trust moyes etc. however I think this whole Moyes "gives youth a chance" is a myth. Often when he does he plays them out of position.

I do think Barkley will get experience by being in the squad, but it really is time for the next step.

at the end if the day much of the excitement is down ro rhe fans wanting to see a local hero.

Slow down Simon.

You're getting all excited. tongue.png

It's unfair to expect great things from the lad just because we had Rooney. It's great for the fans to know we have a potential super player, but let it be in his own time. He was given a chance at an early age, and Moyes felt he needed more time. His injury didn't help either, but he'll get his opportunity and no doubt he'll grab it.

Slow down Simon.

You're getting all excited. tongue.png

It's unfair to expect great things from the lad just because we had Rooney. It's great for the fans to know we have a potential super player, but let it be in his own time. He was given a chance at an early age, and Moyes felt he needed more time. His injury didn't help either, but he'll get his opportunity and no doubt he'll grab it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes is holding back because of said injury, we all know how cautious he can be at times, but i still think there have been chances where him and Vellios could have had some valuable game time, and Moyes has chosen not too for whatever reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moyes is holding back because of said injury, we all know how cautious he can be at times, but i still think there have been chances where him and Vellios could have had some valuable game time, and Moyes has chosen not too for whatever reason.

I think Moyes will go all out to get into the top 4 and win a cup this year, and if Barkley is ready, he'll get in.

What we won't see is needless risks. I'm of the opinion that this is Moyes' last season, and he wants to give it one last try to see if Everton really is where he wants to be.

Barkley is a kid, you only have to read the Sheff Wed fans forum about how they thought was a rough diamond, Davey would play him if he was good enough, how good does the Rodwell deal look now? Moysie will see him on a day to day business and i reckon he will be a star if we just dont consign him to the bargain bin

Edited by Tricky Trev

My view is that if he isnt going to play then get him out on loan. If we need a bench warmer, we have enough people fit to cover the bench now. Young players need competitive games to improve and if he 'isnt ready' then sitting on the bench will do him no good whatsoever.

My view is that if he isnt going to play then get him out on loan. If we need a bench warmer, we have enough people fit to cover the bench now. Young players need competitive games to improve and if he 'isnt ready' then sitting on the bench will do him no good whatsoever.

I don't think we do have enough people for the bench! Did you see our bench against Chelsea?! one or two injuries and we are relying on academy players to fill squad places. If rather have Barkley in the wings tbh.