IGNORED

Ross Barkley

Look at it another way, lampard sent him to Villa on loan, he was watching him and got in touch with him to encourage him after his great start,  by all accounts he done his hamstring in, missed 2 months and had to get fit by playing matches cos he was in a separate bubble.   Worked his balls off but couldn’t get his form back. 

im not sure about this move but he remains one of the most gifted footballers I’ve seen at his age.  Be interesting to see what lampard can get out of him, 

18 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Look at it another way, lampard sent him to Villa on loan, he was watching him and got in touch with him to encourage him after his great start,  by all accounts he done his hamstring in, missed 2 months and had to get fit by playing matches cos he was in a separate bubble.   Worked his balls off but couldn’t get his form back. 

im not sure about this move but he remains one of the most gifted footballers I’ve seen at his age.  Be interesting to see what lampard can get out of him, 

I always said he had all the attributes to be one of the best midfielders around, he just didn’t have the brain to go with it. He still doesn’t have that brain and for the past 5/6 years he’s not gotten any better than the Ross Barkley we had. He’s barely played any football in that time and when he has he’s been mostly poor.

He is going to get booed by some of his own fans (I won’t boo him but I can guarantee there’ll be some that will) and that’s not good when he’s mentally fragile. He’s the midfield equivalent of Michael Keane in that sense. If he thinks the moans and groans he received when he misplaced a pass, or lost the ball in a dangerous area, were bad the first time then he’s in for even worse this time. And we all know those instances will be frequent because it’s how he is. He’s 28 now but he’s still that same player he was, he’s not progressed whatsoever. In fact, he’s regressed.

He’s not going to help us, his signing is actually going to cause us problems.

Like I say, I won’t boo him but I won’t cheer him either. When he left I wished him nothing but failure and that is still how I feel. 

He seems a proper div and the fiasco with his exit will be hard to forget but most football fans are fickle (me included) and if he does well, it doesn’t matter who it is as long as Everton are winning.

I don’t want him - that’s out of my control but like Romey said, I won’t be booing him - that’s counterproductive.

The way I look at is this… we were extremely close to relegation last season, we lost our best player and we will be looking at the table a bit too anxiously for a while - hoping that there are 3 teams who just get snotted each week.

If he can play for us in a way that his talent can be showcased and he works hard and gets us winning games then it will be worth it.

I do think Koeman created much of the Barkley situation, he tied other players down on contracts but said he would see about Barkley, itvpissed me off at the time cos it felt like he was being bullied.  Maybe I’m trying to make it harder to feel crap about this move. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

The way I look at is this… we were extremely close to relegation last season, we lost our best player and we will be looking at the table a bit too anxiously for a while - hoping that there are 3 teams who just get snotted each week.

If he can play for us in a way that his talent can be showcased and he works hard and gets us winning games then it will be worth it.

I do think Koeman created much of the Barkley situation, he tied other players down on contracts but said he would see about Barkley, itvpissed me off at the time cos it felt like he was being bullied.  Maybe I’m trying to make it harder to feel crap about this move. 

And I don't blame you if you are tbh. Being a fan of this club for the past few years has been torturous!

2 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

And I don't blame you if you are tbh. Being a fan of this club for the past few years has been torturous!

Horrible isn’t it. Rafa calls us small, manages us, does a bad job and takes millions in comp.   

barkley leaves under a cloud, rusts away and comes back…

I'm not overly excited about this. From my memory, when he was here, I remember him getting shit loads of stick and his decision making was way off the mark, however, I thought he was a player with great potential.

The question in my mind now is, he's 28, theoretically in his prime, but has he shown in the time he's been away that he has developed and is now reaching his full potential. In all honesty, I haven't been following his career too closely, but he doesn't seem to have set the world alight in any way - when did he last play for England? (googled it: 2019).

Actually, reading his Wikipedia page I quote: "Barcelona midfielder Xavi said in November 2014 that Barkley is good enough to play for the La Liga club..."

Hmm...🤔

If he comes, I hope he does well. However, I'm not excited for the discussions that'll be happening on TT if he does.

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2022/07/28/everton-old-boy-ross-barkley-drops-transfer-hint-on-instagram-amidst-return-rumours/

I can see both sides really, on the one hand if you take emotion out of it and if we got the same Player back that left us then he walks into this team quite easily, he is light years ahead of the likes golf Davies,Gomes and Gbamin, if we can get him on loan or for a low fee it makes perfect sense, I would rather have him than Winks

But we’ve already seen home damaging emotion can be with the Benitez fiasco and people will be wanting him to fail in just the same way they did Benitez

It will split the cane base again so it would be a huge gamble so even though he improves us the question is does he improve us enough to take that risk?

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2022/07/28/everton-old-boy-ross-barkley-drops-transfer-hint-on-instagram-amidst-return-rumours/

I can see both sides really, on the one hand if you take emotion out of it and if we got the same Player back that left us then he walks into this team quite easily, he is light years ahead of the likes golf Davies,Gomes and Gbamin, if we can get him on loan or for a low fee it makes perfect sense, I would rather have him than Winks

But we’ve already seen home damaging emotion can be with the Benitez fiasco and people will be wanting him to fail in just the same way they did Benitez

It will split the cane base again so it would be a huge gamble so even though he improves us the question is does he improve us enough to take that risk?

Benitez got a fair crack of the wip to be fair at the start.

2 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Fans aren’t gonna be giving him any crap unless he downs tools.  If he does he will most definitely get it both barrels. 

that’s the difference between a player and a manager, a managers effort isn’t seen, it’s all behind closed doors. A player can win over fans no problem at all if they apply themselves. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

Fans aren’t gonna be giving him any crap unless he downs tools.  If he does he will most definitely get it both barrels. 

that’s the difference between a player and a manager, a managers effort isn’t seen, it’s all behind closed doors. A player can win over fans no problem at all if they apply themselves. 

There will be plenty chomping at the bit to lay into him, he won’t need to down tools for them to be on his back

He will become the new whipping boy the second he signs. I get what you are saying about him being able to win fans over but unless he gets a hatrick against Chelsea first game of the season the knives will be out, and even then he will probably get slated for not getting 4

19 hours ago, Hafnia said:

That was then. He's 28 now.

I do recall arguing quite passionately that I thought Koeman bullied the shit out of him. 

watching toffeetv and baz said he was aware that Barkley was ready to sign his contract, but Koeman was literally ripping him every week. In his words Koeman gave his agent the wedge he needed.  
I recall Phil Neville getting involved and calling Koeman out at the time. 

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

His talent hasn’t disappeared.  He’s just not moved on. He walks into our midfield, it’s as simple as that. 

But what does that say about the state we are in? If he signs and can contribute then I'll take back my negativity but prefer the younger players we have now to build a team around.

17 hours ago, Gwlad all over said:

But what does that say about the state we are in? If he signs and can contribute then I'll take back my negativity but prefer the younger players we have now to build a team around.

You do realise how close we were to relegation…. Forest have gone in heavy. Leeds have strengthened, Fulham are no mugs.

there are 5 subs next season and any side that contains Gomes, Davies and Doucoure can’t be trusted. We have Allan and a few kids.  Do you honestly think Barkley on a free is bad business?