IGNORED

Ross Barkley

Hope I'm in the ground for our game against Villa so that I can see him clap the Gwladys Street again like some homecoming hero. 

Gutted that my prediction of him going out on loan within 18 months didn't come to fruition, but I'll take this. 

Imagine selling out your boyhood club that has given you everything. One of the few players that I have absolutely no time for in any sense of the word but least he's cheered up my morning. 

13 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Completed :lol: 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54352181 oh deary me Ross. I'm not disrespecting Villa they are a decent team under Smith but oh how the braindead have fallen.
quotes when he left:

“I am obsessed with improving. I want to get to a level where I am regarded as one of the best"
“I am ambitious and I want to win trophies" 
”I want to be regarded as a world-class midfielder. At the moment I have a lot of potential and a lot of world-class attributes"

oooooooooooooooooooook Ross, good luck with all that yeah!

I may be alone in the sense that I don't hold much against Barkley.

Like many of our young players like Davies and Osman before him - Barkley got some rough treatment by fans.  Let's not kid ourselves that he didn't - he walked off the pitch at half time in the semi final against Man United thinking the fans were booing him.  Koeman had a one man vendetta against him .... He's doing his wrecking ball job at Barca right now.

Barkley has tons of natural ability but lacks a footballing brain.  I would loved to have seen what Carlo could do with him. That ship has sailed, but I expect him to do well at villa 

34 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

i hold the 5m or so he screwed us out of against him.  im' sure it was his agent but he should have had some love for the club to treat us right.  he's been a bench player for chelsea and will be a bench player for villa.  he aint' taking grealish spot.

Put simply his agent would have said something along the lines of "either you get £5m signing fee or £2m"......  Which would obviously means his agent gets more.

The goodwill between Barkley and the club was low so I don't blame him too much for that.  Not ideal but let's not pretend we would expect players to do us a favour....  Koeman spent a few months teasing him about a contract offer that wasn't forthcoming whilst the likes of spurs and Chelsea seen the opportunity to make contact. 

29 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Put simply his agent would have said something along the lines of "either you get £5m signing fee or £2m"......  Which would obviously means his agent gets more.

The goodwill between Barkley and the club was low so I don't blame him too much for that.  Not ideal but let's not pretend we would expect players to do us a favour....  Koeman spent a few months teasing him about a contract offer that wasn't forthcoming whilst the likes of spurs and Chelsea seen the opportunity to make contact. 

your memory is incorrect.  we offered him a new deal, he didn't sign.  he got into the fight with gang members at the bar and was knocked out.  it was all on him.  you love to blame koeman for everything but ross decided where ross wanted to go.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

your memory is incorrect.  we offered him a new deal, he didn't sign.  he got into the fight with gang members at the bar and was knocked out.  it was all on him.  you love to blame koeman for everything but ross decided where ross wanted to go.

Logically we would have offered him a contract under Martinez, we got the rest of the team tied down including Mirallas so I see no reason why Barkley wouldn't have been offered one. Lukaku signed an extension so we'd get a bigger fee for him. Barkley was tapped up and done the dirty on his boyhood club that had nurtured him through injury.

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

It was hardly a fight, someone knocked him out with a cowards punch trying to get famous. Its not like Ross was starting on him. 

Looking at what happened to us in the interim and what he has experienced at Chelsea, I am fairly sure he will be happy with his decision... Until we win the league this year!

17 minutes ago, Bailey said:

It was hardly a fight, someone knocked him out with a cowards punch trying to get famous. Its not like Ross was starting on him. 

Looking at what happened to us in the interim and what he has experienced at Chelsea, I am fairly sure he will be happy with his decision... Until we win the league this year!

Think most his age would rather play than sit on the bench, him included otherwise he'd not be joining a relegation battler rather than spend another year as a bit of player.

18 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

Not incorrect at all.  I've repeated this several times ... You need to get facts right 

Ross was expecting a contract offer before the start of the season that Koeman came in ... He had less than 18 months.  Koeman came in and started using it as a weapon to try and motivate him with .... They extended Roms who had longer to run. 

Barkley actually was playing well and Koeman was talking about him needing to do more.  The likes of Phil Neville came out and defended Ross saying that it looked like Koeman was picking on him ... Next thing Barkley gets a "sign or leave" contract offer.  Koeman had if in his head that he wanted Gylfi and that's it. 

"The gang fight" wasn't a gang fight ... Barkley got punched by a lad in a bar.  Never been in trouble before or since like that so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. 

Bare in mind Barkley will have seen good friends of his released by the club who are possibly now earning minimum wage in another career.  Let's not all get bent out of shape making out that we are Tranmere rovers and we depend on players taking a hit in the pocket to survive, they have short careers with 2 moves to make their money. The club played hardball with him, he played hardball with us. 

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Not incorrect at all.  I've repeated this several times ... You need to get facts right 

Ross was expecting a contract offer before the start of the season that Koeman came in ... He had less than 18 months.  Koeman came in and started using it as a weapon to try and motivate him with .... They extended Roms who had longer to run. 

Barkley actually was playing well and Koeman was talking about him needing to do more.  The likes of Phil Neville came out and defended Ross saying that it looked like Koeman was picking on him ... Next thing Barkley gets a "sign or leave" contract offer.  Koeman had if in his head that he wanted Gylfi and that's it. 

"The gang fight" wasn't a gang fight ... Barkley got punched by a lad in a bar.  Never been in trouble before or since like that so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. 

Bare in mind Barkley will have seen good friends of his released by the club who are possibly now earning minimum wage in another career.  Let's not all get bent out of shape making out that we are Tranmere rovers and we depend on players taking a hit in the pocket to survive, they have short careers with 2 moves to make their money. The club played hardball with him, he played hardball with us. 

classic haf, you disagree with what i said, then stated the same facts i said and then bloviate.  as you and i both stated, he was offered a contact (that's a fact) he declined (his decision).  all on ross.  nowhere did koeman rip up the contract, or take the pen from his hands as he was trying to sign.  

21 hours ago, pete0 said:

Think most his age would rather play than sit on the bench, him included otherwise he'd not be joining a relegation battler rather than spend another year as a bit of player.

I don’t think Villa will have to worry too much about relegation this season - they’ve made some very good signings this summer. May need a bit of luck with injuries but I see them as comfortably mid-table.

5 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

classic haf, you disagree with what i said, then stated the same facts i said and then bloviate.  as you and i both stated, he was offered a contact (that's a fact) he declined (his decision).  all on ross.  nowhere did koeman rip up the contract, or take the pen from his hands as he was trying to sign.  

Believe what you what want MJB, whatever suits your narrative. Gang fight. . . Ffs, at least read up on what happened before slating him for getting assaulted. 

As for Koeman

"Here you go lad, sign this contract that we've finally just offered you, you've got 4 weeks to sign it, got to go now, I've got a press conference to attend where I'll probably criticise you again"

Is that how to get a player to stay? 

Then he goes and blows £70m on klassen and Gylfi losing Barkley for a pittance. His fault, piss poor man management which he's using at Barca now.  Put baines,  Barry and Lukaku on extensions who had longer remaining... Told the press no one was knocking on the door for Barkley and they would look in the new year....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/16/everton-contract-ross-barkley

Even Steven Gerrard came out telling Koeman and fans to leave the lad alone. 

On 30/09/2020 at 23:25, pete0 said:

I think the signing of Havert's means that if he want to play regularly then he would have to go elsewhere and I don't blame him for going. The truth is, whether we like to admit it, is that he has achieved more by leaving Everton when he did even if he played less than 50% of the games. Not to mention he has no doubt achieved a lot more financially too.

That begin to change now, but we had to go through Koeman, Allardyce and Silva to get to where we are now and all it is at the moment is a promising start. At the end of last season we had as much chance as Villa of winning something.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Barkley epitomises just why teams like Everton, Man United, Spurs, Arsenal can spend an absolute fortune on players and the relative return on investment is so bad.  

All the talent in the world this lad.... not joking but I seen the photos and he is an absolute specimen - he has two brilliant feet, strength, pace and here he is making out the being away mid season is "time well spent".

It reminds me of what Mourinho was saying to Dele Alli about the career being so short - grab it with both hands.  It also reminds me of what Roy Keane warned us about with regards young players getting too much

Buying the right players is an absolute minefield nowadays - their talent earns them the money that enables them to forget what it was they were paid to do in the first place.

• 3 months later...

What a fucking idiotic move this will be.

He’s actually got worse since leaving us. Couldn’t hack it at Chelsea, shipped out to Villa on loan and flopped there so they didn’t want to take up the option to buy him.

I hope he’s stronger mentally now after running away from this club once because not everyone thought he was amazing and thought he needed to improve. Because not all fans worshipped him - let’s ignore that he had his own banner and one of few players to have their own song.

It’s going to be even worse for him this time round after what he did to this club. Good luck, Ross, try not to crumble.

Gobshite.