IGNORED

Spurs (on Wednesday, game postponed from beginning of season)

rubecula

Well I posted these questions on the Spurs fans forum.

http://w11.zetaboards.com/Spurs101/topic/7565323/1/

These are the questions I posted and I will post the replies nearer the day if I get any.

1) What do you think of Spurs season so far?

2) What do you think of Everton's season so far?

3) Which if any of the Spurs players should we be worried about?

4) Which iif any of Evertons players have you worried.

5) You have to swap three of your players for three of ours. Which ones?

6) What are your predictions for the final score?

7) Have you hugged a Toffee today, and if not why not?

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) What do you think of Spurs season so far? Fantastic We are playing well and 3rd with a chance of winning the league, well fuck me I would never dreamed that we would be where we are, but I have this nagging doubt that come May we will finish 5th and the disappointment will be too much to bare,

2) What do you think of Everton's season so far? well you have lost a couple of decent players and I don't think Arteta's departure has hurt as much as first feared, I think you area difficult team to play and I am not looking forward to Wednesday at all, but i think you'll finish between 7th and 10th.

3) Which if any of the Spurs players should we be worried about? We lack a decent strike force, ok Adebayor has made a difference in that he holds the ball up well, but our midfield creates so many chances that he wastes, obviously Bale and Van- der Vaart are our biggest threats, but a lot of teams have managed Bale quite well this year, and Van der vaart is not playing well at the moment, but Lennon's back and with his pace he will always be a threat, but because Parker and Sandro are injured we will lack Backbone in the middle.

Which iif any of Evertons players have you worried. Tim Howard, sadly I think you'll find it difficult to score (saying that you'll probably score 5 now) and this is a must win game for us, they all are now to be honest, if we do get any shots on Target they will have to be good to beat him,

5) You have to swap three of your players for three of ours. Which ones? Benoit Assou-Ekkotto for Leighton Baines, sebastian Bassong For Phil Jagielka, Jake Livermore for Jack Rodwell.

What are your predictions for the final score? this is one of those games where we can be found out and we can get beat, but based on I can't see where you are gonna get a goal from and our inability to find the net and the luck we have had, I'll say 1-0 to us (at least I Hope so Sorry )

Have you hugged a Toffee today, and if not why not? Sadly living down here in Essex I only know 2 one is my neighbor at the bottom of my Garden and he is a big fat suffolk sheep shagger, and I don't really fancy it, the other one is the IT manager at work and might cause one of those awkward moments, however if there are any fit birds that are up for it then I am Game

Spurs won't win the league this season, It's an almost certainty, and doubters can quote me end of season, I wouldn't hug any of them either

I do feel at Goodison I would favor us for this game but a trip to London leaves me doubting, I don't think it will be anything too extreme but a defeat none the less, I wish I could be more hopeful

I expect us to park the bus, keep them out until half time, concede two in the second half, and have no shots on target.

However, I hope it's an open game, Spurs get a player sent off, and we come from behind to win 2-1, probably with an own goal and a Baines set piece, but hopefully through two stunning moves finished off by Stracqualursi and Barkley. We can all dream.

8059.jpg

Tottenham Hotspur host Everton at White Hart Lane on Wednesday 11th January 2012 in a Premier League match which was postponed from the opening day of the season and will now be the 20th game played by both teams.

Spurs come into the match in third place in the League on 42 points, which is a club record for the first half of a Premier League season, while Everton find themselves in 11th place on 24 points.

This will be the 168th time the two clubs have met.

The first meeting came in April 1897 in an end of season friendly match at Tottenham Marshes which Spurs won 2-1. Everton were founder-members of the Football League and had just finished 7th in the First Division while Spurs were in the Southern League and had finished 4th.

A further friendly was played at Goodison Park on New Year's Day 1902 which Everton won 3-1.

The clubs' first competitive match came in the old First Round (today's Third Round) of the FA Cup in February 1904 at Goodison Park which Spurs won 2-1 with a Vivian Woodward goal and an own goal from Everton's Balmer.

Both clubs embarked on a central European tour in the summer of 1905 an met twice with Everton winning both matches 2-0 in Vienna and 1-0 in Prague.

A second FA Cup meeting came in January 1908 with Spurs losing 1-0 at Everton.

At the end of that season, both Spurs and Everton set sail for a tour of South America and played two exhibition matches in Palermo, Argentina with the first game drawn 0-0 and Everton winning the second 4-0. On the voyage home, Spurs 'borrowed' the ship captain's parrot who lived happilly for a decade at the Tottenham offices in the High Road until it dropped dead the day news came through that Arsenal had stolen Spurs' First Division place in 1919.

The first Football League meetings came in the First Division in the 1909-10 season with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison and Spurs winning 3-0 at the Lane.

The clubs then met regularly in the First Division up to season 1927-28 with eight wins for Spurs, ten wins for Everton and eight matches drawn.

The only League meetings between the two clubs outside the Top Flight of English Football came in season 1930-31 in the Second Division with Everton winning 4-2 at Goodison Park and Spurs winning 1-0 at White Hart Lane.

The clubs met for two more seasons in Division One before the outbreak of World War Two with a win apiece and two games drawn.

Spurs won a 3rd Round FA Cup tie 3-0 at home in 1934 and a 5th round tie at home in 1937 4-3 after a 1-1 draw at Goodison Park.

The first meeting after WW2 came in the 5th Round at Goodison Park in February 1950 with Everton winning 1-0.

Spurs regained their First Division status in 1950-51 and did the 'double' over Everton on their way to the first Football League Championship won by Tottenham Hotspur with a 2-1 away win and a 3-0 home win. Everton lost their First Division place that same season along with Sheffield Wednesday, while Chelsea escaped the drop on goal average.

Everton were back in the First Division for the 1954-55 season and the clubs have met in the Top Flight for every subsequent season to date, except for 1977-78 when Spurs dropped down to the Second Division for one season.

Bill Nicholson's first game as Tottenham's manager came at White Hart Lane in October 1958 and Spurs were 6-1 up at half-time and went on to beat Everton 10-4.

A League game at White Hart Lane in December 1969 was abandoned due to floodlight failure after 29 minutes.

The two clubs met in February and March of 1986 in a competition called the Screen Sport Super Cup, which was introduced to give teams who would have qualified for the European competitions some compensation, as English clubs were banned from Europe. The first match at White Hart Lane ended goalless while Everton won the return leg 3-1.

The only Football League Cup meeting between the clubs came in the Fourth Round in October 2009 with Spurs winning 2-0 at the Lane with goals from Tom Huddlestone and Robbie Keane.

Both Tottenham Hotspur and Everton were founder-members of the Premier League and are two of the seven clubs who have been ever-present for the entire 20 seasons of the competition, along with Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United.

Spurs have taken more points off Everton in the Premier League than from any other opponent. The 68 points won by Spurs against Everton in the 38 matches played to date gives an average of 1.79 points won per game.

The meetings last season in the Premier League only yielded one point for Spurs, which came in a 1-1 draw at the Lane in October 2010. The reverse fixture in January 2011 was won 1-2 by Everton. The Toffees' goals were scored by Leighton Baines at Spurs and Louis Saha & Seamus Coleman at Goodison Park. Rafael van der Vaart scored both Spurs' goals last season.

Overall, Spurs have won 60 of the 167 matches played so far with Everton winning 57 and 50 matches drawn.

6473-1.jpg

Full History of Tottenham Hotspur v Everton Matches 1897-2012

4516-2.jpg

They Played for Spurs & Everton....

Jamie Attwell

John Barlow

Nick Barmby

John Brearley

Frank Brettell (Everton player, Spurs manager)

Charlie Brown

Bob Cain

John Cameron (also Spurs manager)

Simon Davies

Anthony Gardner

Paul Gascoigne

David Ginola

Richard Gough

Charlie O'Hagan

Ted Hughes

Pat Jennings

Steve Kelly

John Kirwan

Gary Lineker

Bobby Mimms

Charlie Morgan

Steven Pienaar

Robert Pilch

Vinny Samways

Pat Van den Hauwe

John Watson

Alex Young

Edited by THFC6061

Royston and Fellaini back is masssive for us, with Donovan as well I feel we will get a goal but lose. 2-1.

Hope he starts them both.

I think we have the potential to grab a goal against Spurs but I seriously don't know how we are going to beat them. We always seem to do badly against Spurs and the way they are playing this season they look like dominating anybody. I'll go for a 4-1 defeat although I would happily take a draw before kick-off. This might actually be a game where I'd fancy Moyes to be playing a defensive team as Tottenham have a tendancy to rape teams on the counter-attack.

I really don't see why you are all being so negative

I can understand if you're saying that it's wrong to be negative about your team because it is, we as fans should always get behind them and wish them well for upcoming games. The problem is that we have been behind Everton since the beginning of the season and we are now in January and the team are still playing shite. I would actually support the team if they lost each week but played their hearts out but 90% of the players look like they coulden't care less. And when playing against a team like Tottenham its obvious that we need to be on our 'A' game which we just haven't been this year.

I'm sick and tired of being optemistic only for Everton to let me down, if you would have seen any of our games this season you would know what all the fuss is about.

Cant see us troubling them much at all. I have been impressed with Spurs this season, and even when they arent playing well they are winning games. Whether you like it or not Redknapp is one of the best managers about and he has bit together a great squad that can play several ways.

In my opinion they are looking the most likely to finish 2nd and look a lot more difficult to beat than Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal etc. Their one weakness is at the back, and teams that do have a go at them can create chances. Given the fact we are playing away, Moyes will no doubt approach this very cautiously, we will park the bus and it will only be a matter of time until they score. If get one in the first 20minutes I fear it could be a long game as we simply dont have a second gear or the capacity to keep hold of the ball in threatening positions.

I feel the same way as Zoo, too many times I think we are starting to turn the corner only to be followed by another 90minutes of shite. I think I prefer to expect a loss and be pleasantly surprised if we get anything from the game.

On the Spurs forum we are not as confident about playing Everton as we have been against other teams, in fact there was more confidence when we played Le Scum (Arsenal) because we know it will a tough game and Everton will be tough to break down, last time we played you we were favourites for the game and you turned us over , Phil Neville was excellent at Keeping Bale at Bay, and you deserved the win

Ok we have won a few games of late But I have watched them all either on Tinternet or Sky and have gathered opinion from the forums, and October and November was our best period where we have really dominated games and played really well, but December we have not played that well but have been lucky things have gone our way, The game at home to West Brom is a case in point, they Parked the bus for 62 minutes and we really struggled to break them down despite having all the possession, Modric and VDV had poor games, but when we scored and they were forced to came at us we looked really dodgy and in fairness if they had played like that throughout it might have been different.

But I disagree with you that our one weakness is at the back, I think we have been pretty solid there and Kaboul has been outstanding for us I think our weakness is our strikers not converting the chances we are creating,

I wish Everton well for the Season of Course but this is a must win game for us to Keep us where we are, Come on you Spurs !

With Spurs charging after (a futile effort for a championship) or even a European Cup berth and Redknapp getting the team to play with hunger and desire and well, Moyes dithering over which formation to play and low morale and other club problems of late, I have a sneaking suspicion we could witness another 7-0 like embarrassment again in North London, as with Arsenal in 2005, but back then the circumstances were all so different

We've done very well at Spurs in recent years, won three in a row up there after going some 20 years without a victory but this time I can't be so enthusiastic about it. I simply feel they will be up for it, will want it more and it'll be a trip back North with nothing in change. Would really want to be proved wrong but from what I've observed from recent weeks I simply can't see us getting anything more than a point from this trip

On the Spurs forum we are not as confident about playing Everton as we have been against other teams, in fact there was more confidence when we played Le Scum (Arsenal) because we know it will a tough game and Everton will be tough to break down, last time we played you we were favourites for the game and you turned us over , Phil Neville was excellent at Keeping Bale at Bay, and you deserved the win

Ok we have won a few games of late But I have watched them all either on Tinternet or Sky and have gathered opinion from the forums, and October and November was our best period where we have really dominated games and played really well, but December we have not played that well but have been lucky things have gone our way, The game at home to West Brom is a case in point, they Parked the bus for 62 minutes and we really struggled to break them down despite having all the possession, Modric and VDV had poor games, but when we scored and they were forced to came at us we looked really dodgy and in fairness if they had played like that throughout it might have been different.

But I disagree with you that our one weakness is at the back, I think we have been pretty solid there and Kaboul has been outstanding for us I think our weakness is our strikers not converting the chances we are creating,

I wish Everton well for the Season of Course but this is a must win game for us to Keep us where we are, Come on you Spurs !

All top teams go through the 'wobbly' period where performances arent as good as they have been, but as long as you keep picking up the points there is a good chance that further down the line your form will pick up again.

Maybe saying your weakness at the back was a little vague, what I meant to say was that you look most vulnerable when teams attack you and not specifically the players you have there. Harry likes to attack and any team that prefers to go forward will leave some room to exploit at the back, and from the games I have seen of you over the last couple of seasons, its when you are on the back foot that you struggle the most. Assou-Ekotto seems to 'fall asleep' on occasions (although will he be at ACN?) and while I think Walker is potentially a very good player, he can be got at as well and if we have Drenthe & Donovan attacking them, I suppose there is a chance that we could cause you problems.

Unfortunately its likely your midfield will dominate, and for the most part we will hoof it forward into whichever lacklustre striker we have playing and then the ball will come straight back at us. We have saved some of out better performances for your lot in recent years so I hope the trend continues and we go out and give you a game. Sadly I dont see it.

Dec Jordan

thoughts about who'll play for us in CM against Spurs? Considering the injuries..

in reply to ↑

image_normal.jpg

phil neville18

@dec_jordan Felli billy Tc me Ross we still have enough

Hopefully Ross will get a game. We've been awful and Spurs are havin there best season ever... so typical Everton fashion 1-2 Saha to score from the edge of the box and Heitinga off another corner.

Howard

Hibbert Heitinga-Distin(no Jagsguns.gif) Baines

Donovan Nevillecrying.gif Fellaini Drenthe

Cahill Saha

no one upfront

Cahill and Neville playing in midfield together? Christ, there's two players who won't touch the ball for 10 minutes at a time if that's the case.

We're going to get totally overun in midfield. I hope Heitinga and Distin are on their A game because they're going to have to stop a lot of Spurs players.

Really not looking forward to this game, I think they will take us the cleaners. We will no doubt try and park the bus, to which there is no point when the driver is Phil Neville.

The only way to play them would be to set up to have a go - however I fear and Man City mark 2.

Posted Today, 11:28 AM

Moyes says it is unlikely he'll have any injured players back for Spurs. Jags, Cahill, Rodwell, Osman, Hibbo, Coleman, Barkley all missing.

Should still have a decent defence, and whoever plays in front of them cant be as bad as some of those who are missing.

------------------------ HOWARD ------------------

NEVILLE --- HEITINGA --- DISTIN --- BAINES

DRENTHE --- FELLAINI ---- BILY ---- GUEYE

------------------ DONOVAN -- SAHA -- --------

Would rather have Straqualursi or Velios than Saha, i feel a defeat coming on.

Bench .... Mucha, straq, Vellios, Romey, MikeO, Hafnia, Marco.biggrin.png

Edited by Bill

Harry Redknapp reports that Scott Parker remains doubtful for Wednesday night's clash against Everton.

The midfielder suffered a knee injury in the New Year's Day draw at Swansea City and hasn't featured in the matches since against West Brom and Cheltenham.

"Scott is struggling," said Harry this morning. "He's doubtful, in fact, he's very doubtful.

"We've one or two injuries. Ledley King has had a scan on his hamstring injury and it's not too bad, but he's not fit."

William Gallas and Sandro remain out with calf strains.

Posted Today, 11:28 AM

Moyes says it is unlikely he'll have any injured players back for Spurs. Jags, Cahill, Rodwell, Osman, Hibbo, Coleman, Barkley all missing.

Should still have a decent defence, and whoever plays in front of them cant be as bad as some of those who are missing.

------------------------ HOWARD ------------------

NEVILLE --- HEITINGA --- DISTIN --- BAINES

DRENTHE --- FELLAINI ---- BILY ---- GUEYE

------------------ DONOVAN -- SAHA -- --------

Would rather have Straqualursi or Velios than Saha, i feel a defeat coming on.

Bench .... Mucha, straq, Vellios, Romey, MikeO, Hafnia, Marco.biggrin.png

Put me in ahead of Saha, i'll put a shift in at least.

Not a bad team that actually Bill

TEAM NEWS

Michael Dawson is set to partner Younes Kaboul in the Spurs defence with Ledley King and William Gallas both out injured.

Scott Parker is set for a late fitness test but fellow midfielder Sandro is out with a calf problem.

Phil Jagielka, Tim Cahill, Leon Osman, Jack Rodwell and Tony Hibbert are all injury worries for Everton.

Seamus Coleman is another doubt after suffering a recurrence of a thigh injury in the FA Cup tie with Tamworth.

MATCH PREVIEW

What should have been the season's curtain raiser for both clubs could now be recast as a campaign-defining game for Spurs.

Victory in a fixture postponed due to August's riots would see Tottenham draw level with Manchester United - just three points shy of leaders Manchester City - and confirm them as equal partners in a three-way race for the title.

The game will also offer an important indicator as to whether Spurs have deep enough playing resources to sustain a challenge.

Injuries to key players mean Harry Redknapp will be denied the luxury of fielding his strongest XI. While no-one can doubt the quality of his first-choice side, it remains to be seen whether the supporting cast are good enough to keep Tottenham in the hunt.

They will meet substantial resistance in the shape of an Everton side that badly needs a response to a limp performance against Bolton in their last league game.

David Moyes' men will be determined to rediscover the discipline and organisation which has seen them repeatedly punch above the club's declining financial weight in the Premier League.

Their manager also has an impressive record against Redknapp.

All points to a tight affair at the Lane.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Everton manager David Moyes has only lost three of 15 league matches against teams managed by Harry Redknapp.

Spurs have beaten Everton just once in their last eight Premier League games - a 2-1 victory at White Hart Lane in February 2010.

Tottenham Hotspur

Spurs have won 13 of their first 19 league games - the only time they won more was in 1960-61 (17) when they won the league.

Tottenham have scored in 18 consecutive Premier League games - their best record in the league era.

Harry Redknapp's side are unbeaten in eight home league games since August's 5-1 defeat by Manchester City.

They have kept seven clean sheets in the league this season - one less than they kept during the entire 2010-11 Premier League campaign.

Spurs have conceded 999 Premier League goals.

Everton

David Moyes is one short of his 150th Premier League victory as Everton manager. He will become the fourth manager to reach this milestone in the division after Sir Alex Ferguson (486), Arsene Wenger (337) and Harry Redknapp (220).

The Toffees have won more games away from home in the Premier League (four) than at Goodison (three) this season.

Everton have failed to win any of their nine league games against top-half clubs this season (two draws and seven defeats) - the worst record in the division.

Tim Howard is in line to make his 250th Premier League start.