IGNORED

Vaunt the Good Vibes

pete0

8 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

proud day, i bought my son a drum set and today he opened it.  he loves it, banging away already :)   he's been asking me for one for a year now, finally saved up enough scratch to get him one.  he's only 4 but i figure if he gets a passion for the arts at a young age, that's a good thing.

Excellent that Mark.  Hope you don't have to start saving up for a grand piano!

On 06/07/2018 at 02:52, markjazzbassist said:

proud day, i bought my son a drum set and today he opened it.  he loves it, banging away already :)   he's been asking me for one for a year now, finally saved up enough scratch to get him one.  he's only 4 but i figure if he gets a passion for the arts at a young age, that's a good thing.

I’ve got my little one a ukulele but the more she plays with it, the more I think she might be left handed, which is a bit of an issue as all my guitars and bass are right handed! Still, might give me an excuse to go guitar shopping :) 

10 minutes ago, johnh said:

All the Thai lads,  trapped in the cave, are free.  The rescuers deserve a medal,  there are some very brave people on this planet.

Been following that closely John, absolutely bloody incredible; ninety plus divers from all over the world involved, an eleven hour round trip to get to the kids and out again! Just very sad one of them died in the preparation stages.

Going to be very hard for those kids now, mentally in particular like it was for the Chilean miners, wish them well.

Hollywood scripts in the pipeline already I bet.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Been following that closely John, absolutely bloody incredible; ninety plus divers from all over the world involved, an eleven hour round trip to get to the kids and out again! Just very sad one of them died in the preparation stages.

Going to be very hard for those kids now, mentally in particular like it was for the Chilean miners, wish them well.

Hollywood scripts in the pipeline already I bet.

I hope not but I fear you’re right. Either way, definitely a bittersweet ending.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just thinking about how the tory party is that far up its own arse letting the big corporations get away with paying buttons that they have effectively made them no longer a viable party. They've shafed the under 40s of opportunities, forcing people into working shit hours for shit pay, and even a young potential tory will soon change their mind once they have a kid and see how shit the benefits system is or better yet the slightly older generation who are coming to retirement and don't have a nest egg who are about to finally start to feel the ramifications of voting tory all their lives. Give it 10 years and I doubt they'll get in office again during my lifetime, and even better we will get a viable option to rival Labour that we can vote for without the worry that it effectively helps the nasty party. 

Seriously they've fucked the workforce over so much, how will they ever get in when the older generation is out numbered (link below about age and who they vote for, assuming people don't swing the end is nigh 🙂). Can only see them turning more into a racist anti-immigration party similar to ukip but with brexit opening most peoples eyes they've already shot theirselves in the foot for that to work. Let's just hope they don't ruin too much more in the meantime. 

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2017/06/13/how-britain-voted-2017-general-election/

Or these under 40s, will learn to rely on themselves and not the government. They will work hard and learn more to improve their opportunity for better pay and they will look after their money so that they can enjoy their retirement as best they can. Hopefully they can enjoy their lives with as little government intervention as possible.

I completely disagree regarding corporations too. At this pivitol time in this countries future we should be encouraging any business we can get, whether that be reducing barriers to new starters or making the UK an attractive base for overseas companies. If they start leaving the UK, unemployment will spread, wages will drop (saturation) and we will be in a far worse position than we are now. 

Also this Tory goverment is hopefully as left wing as you will see when it comes to business and taxation. I cant wait to see the back of them and hope that someone (from any party) can bring some common sense and joined up thinking back to the governent rather than the mess we have in power at the moment and the loonies we have in opposition.

12 hours ago, Bailey said:

Or these under 40s, will learn to rely on themselves and not the government. They will work hard and learn more to improve their opportunity for better pay and they will look after their money so that they can enjoy their retirement as best they can. Hopefully they can enjoy their lives with as little government intervention as possible.

I completely disagree regarding corporations too. At this pivitol time in this countries future we should be encouraging any business we can get, whether that be reducing barriers to new starters or making the UK an attractive base for overseas companies. If they start leaving the UK, unemployment will spread, wages will drop (saturation) and we will be in a far worse position than we are now. 

Also this Tory goverment is hopefully as left wing as you will see when it comes to business and taxation. I cant wait to see the back of them and hope that someone (from any party) can bring some common sense and joined up thinking back to the governent rather than the mess we have in power at the moment and the loonies we have in opposition.

Working hard gets you nowhere for the majority who are employed by big companies unless you manage to get to the top, but for the most part it's who you know not what you know. Just recently the tories have just let Sainsbury's force new contracts on their staff making them worse off. A company that makes 100s of millions profit shafting the worker to make even more profit. Its rediculous, working at a supermarket should be one of the best paid jobs given how much they make. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Of course we need business now more than ever, but they know that too and will take even greater advantage of the weakened state and government. By all means, give them incentives to stay, but let's not do it by lubing up and laying over the table ready for them to take further advantage.

10 hours ago, Matt said:

Of course we need business now more than ever, but they know that too and will take even greater advantage of the weakened state and government. By all means, give them incentives to stay, but let's not do it by lubing up and laying over the table ready for them to take further advantage.

I agree, if we sell ourselves down the river we wont get anywhere and that is why I phrased it as I did but some of the stuff I read at the moment is just completely illogical and largely fanciful.

19 hours ago, pete0 said:

Working hard gets you nowhere for the majority who are employed by big companies unless you manage to get to the top, but for the most part it's who you know not what you know. Just recently the tories have just let Sainsbury's force new contracts on their staff making them worse off. A company that makes 100s of millions profit shafting the worker to make even more profit. Its rediculous, working at a supermarket should be one of the best paid jobs given how much they make. 

Working hard does get you somewhere. I have no doubt that there are many in this forum that have done that. I also don't disagree that knowing the right people can get you either further or quicker but that will always happen. The labour party is full of it, just look at Seb Corbyn!

The last bit is ridiculous. If supermarket workers should be one of the "best paid" jobs then what incentive is there to do more than that? Why become a lawyer when you can stack shelves for more money? Why risk your life in the army when you can create pizza toppings for a decent wedge? 

As the owner or director of a company your job is to make money how you can. If that means you piss your staff of they will leave, you will get worse staff and the quality of your product will drop, then in turn so will your profits. A business owner doesnt have an obligation to make sure their employee can pay their morgage. If those Sainsburys workers dont like it, they can leave. If what they are doing is illegal, they can bring a class action through the Courts. 

33 minutes ago, Bailey said:

A business owner doesnt have an obligation to make sure their employee can pay their morgage. If those Sainsburys workers dont like it, they can leave. If what they are doing is illegal, they can bring a class action through the Courts. 

The government has an obligation to make them. Why should the top get everything at the detriment of their staff. Why should people like the Grosvenor family never have to work a day on their lives? Why should Canada benefit from our national lottery? 

There's not much choice else. If everyone was a Doctor who would stack the shelves? 

Just because something is legal doesn't make it right. So paying your staff little and then forcing them to accept worse terms and being financially worse off is fine because it's not against the law even though you're making profit year on year? It's taking advantage out of the bottom, it's morally wrong at best. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went up to Lincolnshire yesterday (Sunday) to a reunion of the firm I used to work for.  Daughter and son-in-law went with me and son-in-law did all the driving!  We stopped for lunch at the Haycock Hotel at Wansford, just off the A1 and about 10 miles from Stamford.  Very posh dining room and we ordered Sunday roast.  Roast  beef, yorkshire pud's, roast potato's and four veg. The beef was two big slices cut so thick they were almost like steaks and cooked to perfection.  We had one glass of red, no pudding as the meal was so big and finished with coffee. I was paying the bill and when it came I thought they had made a mistake.  I asked my daughter and son-in-law what they thought the bill was.  Daughter said £80 and son-n-law said £75.  It was £48.  I had forgotten the price difference between Berkshire and Lincolnshire.

5 minutes ago, johnh said:

I had forgotten the price difference between Berkshire and Lincolnshire.

Reminds me of when I lived in Wimbledon and my local (to work) was half a mile from Plough Lane, used to get away fans coming in pre-match from oop north saying they needed to get a mortgage to buy a round!

Conversely when I came up in a minibus to watch Everton v Woking (first Goodison visit as an adult) we were staying overnight because some of the lads (all Woking fans bar me and one other) wanted to go to Anfield on the Saturday before the Everton game on the Sunday. Went into a pub down by Albert Dock at lunch opening time and I got the first round in for about twelve of us; can't remember the numbers but it was about half what I'd expected, happy days!

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Reminds me of when I lived in Wimbledon and my local (to work) was half a mile from Plough Lane, used to get away fans coming in pre-match from oop north saying they needed to get a mortgage to buy a round!

Conversely when I came up in a minibus to watch Everton v Woking (first Goodison visit as an adult) we were staying overnight because some of the lads (all Woking fans bar me and one other) wanted to go to Anfield on the Saturday before the Everton game on the Sunday. Went into a pub down by Albert Dock at lunch opening time and I got the first round in for about twelve of us; can't remember the numbers but it was about half what I'd expected, happy days!

I remember, years ago, when I was up in Wigan on business.  I stayed at a Hotel/pub which people used as their local.  I went in the bar the first evening and ordered a pint. The barman asked me for £1.10.  The old local sat on the bar stool next to me must have seen the surprised look on my face and said 'expensive isn'tt it, I can tell you where its 90p'.  I didn't tell him that my surprise was because in Maidenhead it was £1.60.

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

That's how I feel when I visit the UK. Always go to a restaurant or takeaway thinking it's going to Swiss prices, and it's always a pleasant surprise to see it's a third of the price :lol: 

I think eating out is ridiculously expensive in the UK now. For anything half decent it is the average salary equivalent of a days wages for a meal for 2. 

12 minutes ago, hafnia said:

I think eating out is ridiculously expensive in the UK now. For anything half decent it is the average salary equivalent of a days wages for a meal for 2. 

For our local takeaway, say 2 burgers, fries and drinks, it’s close to £40 here (give or take).

Took my wife and her parents out the other day. 1 bottle of wine, 1 beer and 4 mains with side salad was £180. 

Its all so bloody tasty though, so I don’t mind too much :D 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

For our local takeaway, say 2 burgers, fries and drinks, it’s close to £40 here (give or take).

Took my wife and her parents out the other day. 1 bottle of wine, 1 beer and 4 mains with side salad was £180. 

Its all so bloody tasty though, so I don’t mind too much :D 

That's seriously expensive. But eating out is meant to be a treat. Some people use it as an alternative to washing up!

2 hours ago, johnh said:

I remember, years ago, when I was up in Wigan on business.  I stayed at a Hotel/pub which people used as their local.  I went in the bar the first evening and ordered a pint. The barman asked me for £1.10.  The old local sat on the bar stool next to me must have seen the surprised look on my face and said 'expensive isn'ttt it, I can tell you where its 90p'.  I didn't tell him that my surprise was because in Maidenhead it was £1.60.

I'm sure you and Bill can trump this one  by a mile John but when I first started going to the pub £1 would get you four pints. Clearly remember the first time I got charged £2 for a pint as well, not sure what year it was but I'd been to Hampton Court Palace with my mum and we went to a pub for some food and a pint of Guinness was £2 exactly, I was horrified.

Increasing demise of the old fashioned local pub to the "chains" and home drinking is really sad. Luckily we still have a good one in the next village; I'm still not quite sure why the price of a can in a shop is still the same price as it was twenty-five years ago though:huh:.