IGNORED

Vaunt the Good Vibes

pete0

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Got a job offer, remote working but based on the UK. Means leaving our home of the last 8+ years and a place we love in Switzerland, but moving to be closer to family and the jobs going to be really interesting. They basically made exceptions to get me and it’s been 4 weeks from first call to contract being presented. 

wow, great to feel wanted and excited about your work.  i'm happy for you matt.  looking forward to hearing about your first trip back to goodison

53 minutes ago, Matt said:

Got a job offer, remote working but based on the UK. Means leaving our home of the last 8+ years and a place we love in Switzerland, but moving to be closer to family and the jobs going to be really interesting. They basically made exceptions to get me and it’s been 4 weeks from first call to contract being presented. 

Great news Matt and good luck 🤞 with the move. 

• 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Matt said:

Something else happened back in October; I stopped several bad habits. Today is day 101 of not drinking, and 50 for a couple of others :) 

Well done mate, I had my last drink just before last Christmas so done over a year.   I had some ace times on it but as I got older and life hits you harder I found it was a major depressant and something that became more medicational for stress.  We have 2 babies and I thought "wtf are you doing"

It's fine when you are young and all that,but for me I started to notice things I didn't like about my habits and how down I would get after a weekend. 

If truth be told I had been an occasional drinker from the end of 2016... I really just don't miss it now. Better Mental clarity, mood, energy, sleep, money, health, self esteem, productivity in work, stress management...... So many benefits.

I wish I was the type of person to have 2 and not want more but that is not my personality in anything.... If eat chocolate I clear out the cupboards, if I lift weights I am going full on..... giving up ale is a gift to yourself. 

13 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

Well done mate, I had my last drink just before last Christmas so done over a year.   I had some ace times on it but as I got older and life hits you harder I found it was a major depressant and something that became more medicational for stress.  We have 2 babies and I thought "wtf are you doing"

It's fine when you are young and all that,but for me I started to notice things I didn't like about my habits and how down I would get after a weekend. 

If truth be told I had been an occasional drinker from the end of 2016... I really just don't miss it now. Better Mental clarity, mood, energy, sleep, money, health, self esteem, productivity in work, stress management...... So many benefits.

I wish I was the type of person to have 2 and not want more but that is not my personality in anything.... If eat chocolate I clear out the cupboards, if I lift weights I am going full on..... giving up ale is a gift to yourself. 

I did fifteen+ years 1994 to 2009, you're a pair of lightweights:P

Post again in 2035 then I'll be impressed:otvwhistle:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

2 weeks ago a friend recommended that i start meditating to help with mental health.  i got an app called Breethe that has guided meditations and have meditated every day since then.  it has really helped me to have a quieter mind, and to remain more calm.  it's also helping me to be present and enjoy life one day at a time and not let the stress and things i can't control get to me.

if you have an active mind that is going all day, i would highly recommend this practice, it has really helped me to be a better person.

40 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

2 weeks ago a friend recommended that i start meditating to help with mental health.  i got an app called Breethe that has guided meditations and have meditated every day since then.  it has really helped me to have a quieter mind, and to remain more calm.  it's also helping me to be present and enjoy life one day at a time and not let the stress and things i can't control get to me.

if you have an active mind that is going all day, i would highly recommend this practice, it has really helped me to be a better person.

I'll give it a go. I've tried several in the past on the advice of shrinks but I really struggle with traditional meditation because of how my head works apparently. Meditation for me is watching a video. 

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

I'll give it a go. I've tried several in the past on the advice of shrinks but I really struggle with traditional meditation because of how my head works apparently. Meditation for me is watching a video. 

do you have adhd?  my wife does and what you said rings true.  she watches TV/Movies to calm her mind and helps her to fall asleep.  different strokes for different folks.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

do you have adhd?  my wife does and what you said rings true.  she watches TV/Movies to calm her mind and helps her to fall asleep.  different strokes for different folks.

Thats what the past year of testing came back with. Adhd, OCD and high potential apparently. Means I'm perfectly suited for my chaotic career for the most part; I'm my most calm in chaos provided I've slept. If I don't sleep, very bad things happen though as I've learnt the hard way these past 4 years. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Thats what the past year of testing came back with. Adhd, OCD and high potential apparently. Means I'm perfectly suited for my chaotic career for the most part; I'm my most calm in chaos provided I've slept. If I don't sleep, very bad things happen though as I've learnt the hard way these past 4 years. 

Yeah I’ve learned the same about sleep.  7-8 hours a night is a must now and I will stop having fun/plan activities around it to go to sleep because I have to otherwise It will affect me and my attitude towards my family.  I’m a more calm even and consistent person when I get sleep.

that’s interesting about your personality and chaos.  Might even help to explain your music preferences, I know you love tool and sometimes it can be a bit much for me, but all that intense polyrhythms and riffs and stuff brings out the calm in you likely.  

ive taken some personality tests recently (enneagram) and it’s really helped my marriage.  Wife thought I was nuts and once she figured out how I work she gets me better and understands where I’m coming from (and vice versa me with her).  Powerful stuff.