IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

England is a lower league / southern supported thing imo, look at the flags at the England games, how many have teams from the North west/ north east. Its more your Leyton Orients and Ramsbottom fans who are the "England are great" set of fans.

England is a lower league / southern supported thing imo, look at the flags at the England games, how many have teams from the North west/ north east. Its more your Leyton Orients and Ramsbottom fans who are the "England are great" set of fans.

You know that's north of Manchester (Bury), right?

rose kane sturridge henderson baines all not fit. southgate said he won't call up defoe.

my lineup looks laughable but with all the injuries its realistic. unless you wnat ox rooney rashford lingard in there ( i sure as hell wouldn't)

I didn't realise Henderson was out as well.

Regarding Baines in general, all of our LB's are bang average bar Rose. For me Baines is the solidest and I think he has been playing solidly. I'd have Bertrand next but I'm not really a fan of any other left backs in the league.

I would also agree with the Carroll shout. It never hurts to have a different option in the squad especially as most other countries won't be used to the physicality he can bring.

2 match ban, misses west brom and boro. let's hope it really impacts them and they lose both.

Good news. Ibra out too so could knock their form at confidence. Not looking forward to it though, a close friend of mine is a united fan and never let's me live it down. Sent him a clip straight from Goodison of Baines sticking it in the back of the net though, he wasn't happy!

Defoe back in the England squad, wouldn't of happened if Rooney and Kane was fit mind but still nice to see players who deserve to be called up, well called up!

Defoe has been outstanding this season. Getting the goals he has in that team is a great achievement

Defoe back in the England squad, wouldn't of happened if Rooney and Kane was fit mind but still nice to see players who deserve to be called up, well called up!

not sure how redmond is classified as a forward, but glad he got called up. Still shocked Vardy got a call up after he phoned in the first 28 matches of the season.

Defoe has been outstanding this season. Getting the goals he has in that team is a great achievement

easily justified if he's he sole target man, isn't it? :huh:

Regardless, he did indeed deserve the call up. I thought he was done for even before the MLS abut I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong.

Edited by Matt

Regardless, he did indeed deserve the call up. I thought he was done for even before the MLS abut I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm wrong.

All this for me also.

Edit: Seen Keane has made the list as well. Prices us out aha.

Not sure wtf Jake Livermore is doing there like. Suppose you've got to replace the useless Henderson with a like for like though.

Romey - At least there's someone from outside Sky's media darlings!
Edited by Lowensda

champions league predictions to advance from round of 16 (lots of upsets here I know) -

PSG, Dortmund, Napoli, Bayern, Atletico, Monaco, Juventus, Sevilla

Got Dortmund, Bayern, Atletico, Monaco, and Juve right. 5/8 ain't bad.

my Europa predicitons (only the teams I care about):

Spurs, Celta Vigo, Gladbach, St. Etienne (over United).

If Spurs apply themselves its their tourney to lose in my opinion.

Got Spurs and St. Etienne wrong. Celta are through to the next round after today's win, just waiting on BMG to see if I can go 2-2 there.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Not sure wtf Jake Livermore is doing there like. Suppose you've got to replace the useless Henderson with a like for like though.

Honestly, who else are you going to pick? It's slim pickings outside of the squad Southgate picked.

Think the squad looks pretty good myself considering. Leaving out Walcott, bringing in Redmond and not just picking players purely on whether they play for a top 4-7 club or not.

Yes he is the lone striker with no competition for his place. I would expect a striker in that sort of set up to get around 14-15 goals a season - he has got 33 prem goals in 72 games.... pro rated that's about 18 a season in a really shit team - and I mean shit.

Outstanding. And yeah I couldn't be arsed biting.

Yes he is the lone striker with no competition for his place. I would expect a striker in that sort of set up to get around 14-15 goals a season - he has got 33 prem goals in 72 games.... pro rated that's about 18 a season in a really shit team - and I mean shit.

Outstanding. And yeah I couldn't be arsed biting.

Wasn't trying to get you to bite, just showing how important Defoe and Rom both are for their goals.

atletico and leicester play the same style, park and counter. atletico is a lot more physical though and has a lot better players. i think getting dortmund will help monaco, dortmund has a lot of injuries right now.

my CL and Europa predicitions:

Atletico, Monaco, Madrid, Juve

Manchester, Celta Vigo, Lyon, Schalke

Agree on CL; Bayern - Madrid will be really close.

EL I'd go for: ManU, Besiktas, Genk, Schalke.

i'm a big Celta Viga (well more their manager Berizzo) fan. 2 Belgian sides advaned, they've gotta be happy over where you're at eh?

Yes, definitely good for the UEFA coefficient of the Belgian league, which decides how many CL and EL places every league gets. It's also encouraging that this years' sides in the quarterfinals are different from the one that reached the quaterfinal two years ago (Bruges), which does show some depth.

Last time a Belgian team won the EL was in 1988-1989, it will be a long time before we see a team from the smaller leagues win it again.