IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Advantage? That's not advantage that's a whole change to the rules.

They're tight calls but the attackers should time their runs better. Why punish the defenders for keeping a good line? If you're offside, you're offside. It's a black and white call (assuming VAR use the same parameters of when the ball is deemed to be played). Would you scrap goal line technology as they make the tight calls too? 

If you give the attackers the advantage as you call it, you might as well scrap the offside rule as defenders will be forced to drop deeper and deeper as they will be scared of the attacker being allowed a run on them. 

Are you saying those images are clear cut?

I'm not saying that attackers can be a yard off side and given the benefit of being an attacker but when its clearly not an obvious error then the benefit should lay with the attacking team, solely on the basis that most people would rather see goals.

You can't say that being 1mm offside is good defending, it is pure luck. Arsenal's goal last week was poor from Holgate as he was a yard deeper than the rest of the line. 

The other option is that you stand with the original decision like they do with umpire calls in cricket. Chalking off goals for

What we have now is a farce. 

11 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Are you saying those images are clear cut?

I'm not saying that attackers can be a yard off side and given the benefit of being an attacker but when its clearly not an obvious error then the benefit should lay with the attacking team, solely on the basis that most people would rather see goals.

You can't say that being 1mm offside is good defending, it is pure luck. Arsenal's goal last week was poor from Holgate as he was a yard deeper than the rest of the line. 

The other option is that you stand with the original decision like they do with umpire calls in cricket. Chalking off goals for

What we have now is a farce. 

It's not just mm decisions though. How many times have we seen the sly six get away with being miles offside? 

Much better and fairer now as it takes away some bias. Plus I'd rather see fair goals than more goals. More goals doesn't entertain me, good football does. Rather see a good goal from a good run, than let offside goals count.

We've seen similar thought of more goals is more entertaining this season with the soft penalties introduced, but they had the opposite reaction. Fans didn't like it. It's sport, not entertainment. 

Goal line technology does exactly the same. Would you get rid of that too?

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

It's not just mm decisions though. How many times have we seen the sly six get away with being miles offside? 

Much better and fairer now as it takes away some bias. Plus I'd rather see fair goals than more goals. More goals doesn't entertain me, good football does. Rather see a good goal from a good run, than let offside goals count.

We've seen similar thought of more goals is more entertaining this season with the soft penalties introduced, but they had the opposite reaction. Fans didn't like it. It's sport, not entertainment. 

Goal line technology does exactly the same. Would you get rid of that too?

I am talking about the examples given as being not good for football. You cant tell me they aren't good goals. No-one wants clearly offside goals being allowed, but it needs to be clear. The examples shown are not clear.

Goal line technology isn't the same because there is no subjectivity. The parameters are decided and accepted by the league. In offside calls there is subjectivity as to where to draw the line and when the ball leaves the attacker's foot. Where there is subjectivity, a level of tolerance needs to be allowed.

Goal line cases happen a handful of times a season and it isn't really a big problem. This offside argument occurs several times in a weekend and is a problem that needs to be addressed.

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I am talking about the examples given as being not good for football. You cant tell me they aren't good goals. No-one wants clearly offside goals being allowed, but it needs to be clear. The examples shown are not clear.

Goal line technology isn't the same because there is no subjectivity. The parameters are decided and accepted by the league. In offside calls there is subjectivity as to where to draw the line and when the ball leaves the attacker's foot. Where there is subjectivity, a level of tolerance needs to be allowed.

Goal line cases happen a handful of times a season and it isn't really a big problem. This offside argument occurs several times in a weekend and is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Who decides if it's not clear? One inch offside mightn't bother you but I'd be pissed off if I'd stepped forward and caught someone. More so when it cost teams points.

Do they not use the same parameters each game as that would eliminate the subjectivity.

Goal line not working once was the difference between Bournemouth staying up or going down. Now imagine how much wrong offside calls have influenced the league for decades. 

7 hours ago, pete0 said:

Who decides if it's not clear? One inch offside mightn't bother you but I'd be pissed off if I'd stepped forward and caught someone. More so when it cost teams points.

Do they not use the same parameters each game as that would eliminate the subjectivity.

Goal line not working once was the difference between Bournemouth staying up or going down. Now imagine how much wrong offside calls have influenced the league for decades. 

I have explained when it isnt clear (i.e. the subjectivity of drawing the lines). Goals are getting chalked off that aren't clearly offside.

How is that not also costing teams points? 

24 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I have explained when it isnt clear (i.e. the subjectivity of drawing the lines). Goals are getting chalked off that aren't clearly offside.

How is that not also costing teams points? 

Doesn't matter if they're not clear decisions. They're right decisions. Is it subjective? Like I said I'm assuming they must use some set parameters, don't they?

It's 'costing' points that they shouldn't have. You think it's fair that Bournemouth went down because the goal against Villa wasn't clearly over the line in real time?

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Well if it weren't for Dubravka, it would be 4 all or maybe even 5-4 Leicester

Maybe but teams have a goalkeeper, whose job it is to keep goal (it's on the job description) so saying "if it wasn't (weren't) for" is a bit silly imo. 

32 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We have a snowflake support area dude if you ever feel defiled, just engage and they'll tell you to fuck off in a very understanding way. TT is all inclusive.😂

Only time I ever really feel defiled anymore is watching Everton play.

Looking at Leicester's loss today, plus their final 3 games (United away, Chelsea away, Spurs home) and an FA Cup final thrown in there....and Chelsea's final 4 games (City away, Arsenal home, Leicester home, Villa away) and two cup finals thrown in there....

West Ham are gonna pip 4th. They've got 4 winnable games left (Brighton, West Brom, Soton, and the most winnable, us) and no cups to worry about. 

Just now, MikeO said:

Oh dear me Sergio, that's why I hate Panenkas (Stones against Juventus aside, shoot out in a pre-season friendly is acceptable); you look like such a clown when the 'keeper just catches it. Stupid, the only motivation for doing it is to try and look clever and nobody likes a smartarse.

I always want them to miss when they try something like that. 

46 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Troy Deeney saying Bournemouth have "come into form at the right time" for the play-offs; they lost their last three games of the season without scoring a goal.:huh:

they need a new segment where the analysts say stuff and then they go to "fact checker mike" and you destroy their BS "analysis".  its laughable what they say on air.

5 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

they need a new segment where the analysts say stuff and then they go to "fact checker mike" and you destroy their BS "analysis".  its laughable what they say on air.

Could also mention that he said Dom had two looks at the 'keeper's position before he scored, he had one.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Allardyce relegated, very pleased that record has been put to bed.

Allardyce, "It is not as painful for me as it is for the club or players. It is painful, I wanted it for the club and players more than me, but it hasn't happened."

Why?