IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

Jags the best England player today according to this...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9616076/Poland-v-England-player-ratings.html

...and...

Ashley Cole 5

Supposedly the world’s finest left-back but there is a question now over whether he is the best in England. Given repeated difficulty on his 99th cap by Grosicki and Piszczek and struggled to provide usual attacking width.

I wasn't surprised to see the England manager bottle it and play Cole etc, but Baines plays for Everton, and has played along side both Center backs as part of his professional job for his club. Add to that he could have had an argument for motm last time out, and is one of the in form Prem players, it was a sign that Hodgson isn't quite what I was hoping for as England manager.

Same old same old.

James Milner Steven Gerrard Michael Carrick Tom Cleverley

Does that Midfield 4, not set people's hearts racing? This is the 'best' we can offer. Lets compare starting midfield set ups from the last qualifiers;

Italy-

Andrea Pirlo

Claudio Marchisio

Daniele De Rossi

Riccardo Montolivo

Spain-

Andrés Iniesta

Xavi

Sergio Busquets

Francesc Fábregas

Xabi Alonso

France-

Blaise Matuidi,

Maxime Gonalons

Jérémy Menez

Franck Ribéry,

Yohan Cabaye

Portugal-

Nani

Miguel Veloso

Ruben Micael

João Moutinho

Cristiano Ronaldo

Belgium-

Mousa Dembélé

Dries Mertens

Nacer Chadli,

Kevin De Bruyne,

Axel Witsel

Germany-

Marco Reus

Thomas Müller

Toni Kroos

Bastian Schweinsteiger

Mesut Özil

In short we have NO creativity or flair players. I understand that Hodgson likes his posession football and 'hard to break down' set-ups, but its never going to take us forward. Dropping the likes of the Ox (for example) was a poor move, he bleeds unpredictability and is ideal to play against someone like Poland (good team, not the best of the rest).

We're boring and predictable. It needs to change.

I think a 433 would give England it's most potent attack given a fully fit selection. Players to be considered if their in good form, Clyne, Cahill, Wilshire/Collison/Milner/Watson, Zaha/Dyer/Lennon/Kightly/Walcott/AOC, Carroll.

(what ever keeper is in form)

Walker Cahill Lescott Baines

Milner* Noble Osman

Johnson Rooney Sturridge

*to cover Walker

More sensible

Jenkinson Jags/Cahill Lescott Baines

Dyer Noble/Milner Osman Johnson

Rooney

Sturridge (or Carroll depending on the opposition, if so Downing as well).

Players like Lampard, Gerrard, Glenn Johnson, Huddlestone, Henderson, Rose, Livermore, Shelvey, Welbeck, Cole, and Carrick shouldn't be in consideration as non of them will be good enough in 2 tears time. Osman should be getting caps now for in two years time, so he will have international experience.

James Milner Steven Gerrard Michael Carrick Tom Cleverley

Does that Midfield 4, not set people's hearts racing? This is the 'best' we can offer. Lets compare starting midfield set ups from the last qualifiers;

Its probably one of the worst midfields we have ever fielded tbh.

Milner is a workhorse, doesnt offer much in attack and does a job defensively, but still gets found out in that area against good teams/players.

Gerrard is a shadow of the player he used to be. His reputation is what keeps getting him picked.

Carrick is just a pointless selection. Again he doesnt add much to the attack and isnt a very good defensive midfielder either.

Cleverley could be a decent player as he makes a lot of good runs and gets into good positions, but generally his final ball is poor.

I completely agree about Chamberlain, he is something different and while he might be frustrating at times he has the ability to do things those mentioned above cant seem to. Plus he links up pretty well with Baines.

Problem is bar Chamberlain, who else do you play? Lampard falls into the Gerrard category, Barry is the same as Carrick. Lennon, Sinclair and Walcott are all headless chickens (although at least Walcott is a very good finisher). I suppose Adam Johnson could bring something a little different but Im not sure how well he is doing at Sunderland. I guess Moses has officially declared himself Nigerian? We do have Wilshere to come back and he could make a big difference although if you looked at playing Cleverley and Wilshere together then you would need a holding player and a 5 man midfield.

In fact if you look throughout the squad, we really dont have many 'world class' players. Hart, Rooney and potentially Wilshere & Chamberlain.

I didn't even know the initial game had been postponed or called off until the day after. Then I didn't realize the arranged date was the day after that until early the next day, although not all that interested. What I don't understand is, if they had a retractable roof and rain was forecast, why didn't they utilize the damn thing before time and preserve the field and maybe the game could have gone ahead as planned. But the bottom line is, the most important thing is getting back to domestics at the weekend.