IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

45 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Point taken but I still think it's wrong. Like you say it's down to the timing of the run (achieved by where you put your feet), which I think in this case was perfect. By the logic of the law as it stands (I trust you to be right on that) if the Australian defender happened to be pointing towards goal with her left arm marshalling a team-mate then it would've been allowed because the Italian was "on" by a well manicured fingernail. If that's the law then for me it needs to be changed.

Yep, it's harsh but for me the defender would know it was their fault and blame themselves rather than the rules. For me the defence keep a line so if the striker breaks it then it'd be offside or if the defender broke it by pointing then they've kept you onside. 

Thinking I'm not going to like VAR as it stands, England's women get a penalty for a handball that only one player appealed for for maybe a quarter of the second and all 22 played on quite happily; the girl who put in the cross that was "handled" didn't register any protest at all and ref and linos carried on without a second thought. Then the VAR official called a halt. That can't be right surely? Maybe we should go down the route of tennis and cricket and limit the amount of appeals each team can have and once they're out of failed ones it's "umpires call".

25 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Thinking I'm not going to like VAR as it stands, England's women get a penalty for a handball that only one player appealed for for maybe a quarter of the second and all 22 played on quite happily; the girl who put in the cross that was "handled" didn't register any protest at all and ref and linos carried on without a second thought. Then the VAR official called a halt. That can't be right surely? Maybe we should go down the route of tennis and cricket and limit the amount of appeals each team can have and once they're out of failed ones it's "umpires call".

How about no technology in any sport and you just have to accept the decisions given, nearly all sports have flourished and not floundered in the years before any of these technologies came into being.

I’m still a great believer that human errors add to the whole emotional experience and connection with the supporters of their chosen sports, sanitising it to the degrees we are I feel is going to take away some of the things we enjoy discussing, yes bad decisions can hurt but they can also in equal measures bring joy. 

20 hours ago, MikeO said:

The new handball rule is a joke. Man U and Liverpool both shouldn't have got theirs in the champions league. 

The numpties running the game think more goals will attract more fans, why they made the offside rule more complicated too with the different phases of play bollocks. Think pretty much every fan other than the kopites would agree that penalty they got should never be and ruined the game. 

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

OK so the Italian goal in the Women's World Cup that followed this was ruled out by VAR for offside. Certainly the Italian's upper half was offside but her feet were most certainly not, what's the rule on this? I'm assuming it must go on forward most position of whole body but surely as it's football and her progress to goal relied on her foot speed the decision ought to be based on where her feet were should it not? Goal shouldn't be ruled out because her left shoulder was off. Madness.Capture.JPG

If any part of your body that you can score a goal with is ahead of the play it’s offside. You can score with your shoulder, so offside. 

46 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

If any part of your body that you can score a goal with is ahead of the play it’s offside. You can score with your shoulder, so offside. 

Not disagreeing with the decision having had the rule explained, just disagreeing with the rule.

Was not that many years ago when officials were told to give the benefit of any doubt to the striker, they keep moving the goalposts.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

Not disagreeing with the decision having had the rule explained, just disagreeing with the rule.

Was not that many years ago when officials were told to give the benefit of any doubt to the striker, they keep moving the goalposts.

I don’t really see what there is to disagree with tbh. 

16 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

But why? Unless you're wanting it to be so that you can only score a goal with your foot?

In my view your position on the pitch should be dictated by where you're standing. The reason teams wear different coloured socks so the linesmen (in old money) could differentiate between teams by looking at them. If (for example) Arsenal were playing Spurs all 40 shoulders on the pitch would be white, and you can score off your arse but teams play each other in the same colour. I just think it's daft, if it's the rule it's the rule but I don't think it should be.

Capture.JPG

23 hours ago, MikeO said:

But this is why VAR is spoiling it there is no benefit of doubt it's been taken away.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/06/2019 at 19:44, Palfy said:

But this is why VAR is spoiling it there is no benefit of doubt it's been taken away.

It only spoils it if you support the team attacking. If we conceded a goal that was offside be it all close we’d be screaming at the lineman and posting on here in rage. I personally think VAR will benefit those outside the Sky 6 more than those considered the top 6. 

3 hours ago, barryj said:

It only spoils it if you support the team attacking. If we conceded a goal that was offside be it all close we’d be screaming at the lineman and posting on here in rage. I personally think VAR will benefit those outside the Sky 6 more than those considered the top 6. 

Yes we would but also if were given a goal that was offside we would be celebrating equally as hard, personally I think the game is better without VAR the iffy decisions make us more emotionally involved by creating discussion and interactions between fans. 

For me football needs to have that side to it where human error plays apart, we have saying that football is like life and in life mistakes happen and they add to the rich tapestry and reality of who we are, so let’s stop trying to sterilise it because it hasn’t done to bad in the last 140 odd years has it. 

And surly this women’s World Cup has proven what a disaster it is with more discussion about the poor use of and decisions of VAR how boring. 

16 hours ago, Palfy said:

And surly this women’s World Cup has proven what a disaster it is with more discussion about the poor use of and decisions of VAR how boring. 

Probably in a minority watching England tonight but on our way to the semis, brilliant strike for the third goal and VAR completely unused after more than an hour. I know some people put the women's game down but it's come so far in recent years, bring on France or the US:P.

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Probably in a minority watching England tonight but on our way to the semis, brilliant strike for the third goal and VAR completely unused after more than an hour. I know some people put the women's game down but it's come so far in recent years, bring on France or the US:P.

I’ve watched most games woman’s football is getting much better, excuse me please Mike I’ve got a Pasta bake in the oven and the washing machine has just finished 🙄

Just now, Palfy said:

I’ve watched most games woman’s football is getting much better, excuse me please Mike I’ve got a Pasta bake in the oven and the washing machine has just finished 🙄

I'd demand a VAR check on your pasta bake personally, are you sure your timing is right?

I remember the days (as will you if you watched) when the old cup final was the only game on TV and it was like a primary school match, you were lucky if a goal kick cleared the penalty area or a penalty reached the goal without two bounces. Night and day from what it is now.

19 minutes ago, MikeO said:

yeah i follow the US because they are in the tops of the rankings and tourneys always.  england has come on well since last world cup i think you guys got 4th.  its nice to see your ladies taking it seriously and improving their game.  US has france and it should be a good match

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

I'd demand a VAR check on your pasta bake personally, are you sure your timing is right?

I remember the days (as will you if you watched) when the old cup final was the only game on TV and it was like a primary school match, you were lucky if a goal kick cleared the penalty area or a penalty reached the goal without two bounces. Night and day from what it is now.

Perfectly put no comparison from the early days till now. 

Are we what they call metro sexual males in today’s society, I think that’s the right terminology if not we could be going out tomorrow night 🙈

2 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

yeah i follow the US because they are in the tops of the rankings and tourneys always.  england has come on well since last world cup i think you guys got 4th.  its nice to see your ladies taking it seriously and improving their game.  US has france and it should be a good match

3rd.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Defensively we look woeful though. I’d expect USA and France to both take us apart if that’s our usual standard. 

4 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

The lad Neville and his girls doing well but it's the same old with the press. Interviews and news articles, harp on about his time at the Mancs, no mention of being here for 8 years and being captain.

There was a really good interview with him in the members area of Everton TV a week or so ago on his time here, seven or eight minutes long and he said some great stuff about the club, shame it's not on Youtube.

Actually looking at it again now seems it's available to all:).

https://www.evertonfc.com/video/1244631#