IGNORED

General Weekend/Midweek Football

On 03/07/2019 at 18:04, pete0 said:

Really don't see what the problem is. If you're offside, you're offside. Same as the goal line, it's in or it's not. Black and white calls that shouldn't cause much controversy. 

The phases of play bollocks can do one though. That part of the offside rule is unnecessarily grey. 

Isnt the measurement different depending on where the image is taken from? Think Chelsea had conflicting images in a League Cup game this year, although not sure how closely it was looked at. There also isnt a measurement on offsides as here is on goal line technology and how can you say from that image that the pass has definitely left the foot of the passing player? 

I agree re phases of play though. In the Colombia game (women) their right back was deepest because of the England attacker being offside. Should have been called as affecting the play IMO.

13 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Isnt the measurement different depending on where the image is taken from? Think Chelsea had conflicting images in a League Cup game this year, although not sure how closely it was looked at. There also isnt a measurement on offsides as here is on goal line technology and how can you say from that image that the pass has definitely left the foot of the passing player? 

I agree re phases of play though. In the Colombia game (women) their right back was deepest because of the England attacker being offside. Should have been called as affecting the play IMO.

Pictures can make it look iffy but with tech they should be able to work out the geometry quite easily. I assume they must do a frame by frame with a line extended from the furthest player forward/back rather than just the solo image. You have point about the ball leaving the foot, don't know if there is a definition for that, could either be when there is clear daylight between the boot and ball or the moment just before. Imagine that they use the latter. 

Silly rule. 

Sorry to go on a complete tangent but just stumbled across a bit of unrelated football trivia when searching for the Bill Shankley quote. Knew the pitch size thing but the other stuff, I thought the Germans weren't meant to have a sense of humour. 

“See, you are only allowed to use an official alias, which in Germany is even written in your passport and is called ‘Künstlername’ – ‘artist’s pseudonym’. The catch is that you actually have to prove that you’re an artist, and there is the beautiful story of Hertha BSC legend Andreas Neuendorf, who actually produced (and signed) two oil paintings and sold them before witnesses in order to have his monicker ‘Zecke’ in his passport and on the back of his jersey in 2002 (‘Zecke’ means ‘tick’, his nickname ever since he almost died from a tick bite in 1994). This rule has been softened since,... "

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/17/when-football-teams-reduce-their-pitch-size-to-counter-opponents

Madagascar fan tonight, rank outsiders though, love this..

'If we stop here, that is also very good'

Madagascar v Tunisia (20:00 BST)

Madagascar boss Nicolas Dupuis also coaches French fourth tier club FC Fleury.

He says his salary from the Madagascar job "does not give me the minimal financial means to live".

Their aim when the tournament started was more understated. "We did not want to be ridiculed and we wanted to be worthy of the event," he said.

"We remain humble and lucid and aware that we will play against the 25th-ranked team which is complicated for the little Madagascar.

"We want to go as far as possible but if we stop here, that is also very good."

Europa League needs looking at (as does CL); starting this early with so many entrants is absurd; playing today are such giants as B36 Tórshavn, RoPS Rovaniemi, Pyunik, Shkupi, Ordabasy, Torpedo Kutaisi, Teuta Durrës, Alashkert, Petrocub-Hincesti, Laci, Trans, Flora, Radnicki Nis, KuPS Kuopi, FC Vitebsk, and Sabail; I could go on but those are just a few that I've never heard of in fifty years of following European competitions.

I think it needs complete restructuring, maybe a lower level trophy for sides like this to actually compete in. Personally, that aside, I'd like it to go back to the way it was, Champions League (European Cup) competed for by Champions only, as the name suggests (I realise you can't put the genie back in the bottle so no chance of it ever happening); Cup Winners' Cup reinstated for Cup Winners and the third tier which has been known as Inter-Cities Fairs Cup/UEFA/Europa over the years drastically streamlined.

Pissing into the wind on this I know but just my musings.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, johnh said:

Notts County, the oldest football league club looks like folding..  11 days to find a buyer of a club with mountainous debts. 157 years of tradition count for nothing where money is concerned.

Very sad if it happens, hopefully someone with deep pockets will come to their rescue in time.

4 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Looks to me like he's telling them to play on (beckoning), then warning the 'keeper not to leave his area carrying the ball (pointing) then giving a free kick against him when he does.

I saw it as “come here, I want a word”. Really bad reffing in my opinion 

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

If he'd have wanted a word he wouldn't have been backing away would he?

Seen it many times where the ref gets the players to come to him with those hand gestures. Only thing the goalie is guilty of is that stupid kick

Tim Cahill joining BBC punditry team this season!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49238586

Adds to the ex-Blue presence:).

"...returning to the studio for the new season and offering their expert football knowledge and experience are Alan Shearer, Ian Wright, Jermaine Jenas, Phil Neville, Alex Scott, Martin Keown, Mark Lawrenson, Danny Murphy, Dion Dublin, Garth Crooks, Kevin Kilbane, Leon Osman and Jon Walters [born Blue]."

This made me laugh in the comments under Phil McNulty's predicted league positions...

Went for 7th for us controversially...

Everton ended Marco Silva's first season strongly and attractively, illustrated by home wins over Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United - and he has been backed in the markets, so owner Farhad Moshiri will expect a top-six challenge and domestic cup run at least.

Idrissa Gueye will be a real loss but Everton have secured the classy Andre Gomes on a permanent basis, added the talented Jean-Philippe Gbamin from Mainz and secured one of Europe's emerging teenage talents in striker Moise Kean from Juventus.

If they can get it right in the final days of the transfer window, and that must include adding a central defender, they could have a real crack at that top six and beyond.

Anyway...

Capture.JPG

On 10/08/2018 at 12:02, Cornish Steve said:

What Mike said. Truro is the highest ranked team in Cornwall and will join in the later qualifying rounds. I was looking for Falmouth and also St. Austell and St. Blazey but didn't see them listed.

St. Austell are playing my local team, Willand Rovers, in the FA Cup on Saturday Steve. If we didn't have a KO at the same time I might've gone and watched, ground's only a gentle five minute stroll away.

15 minutes ago, MikeO said:

St. Austell are playing my local team, Willand Rovers, in the FA Cup on Saturday Steve. If we didn't have a KO at the same time I might've gone and watched, ground's only a gentle five minute stroll away.

just wondering, what do players on those teams get paid?  do they have day jobs and this is just a passion for them?  or do people survive on non-league football money.