IGNORED

Charlie Austin

Why? He scored plenty last season. Who would you sooner see starting tomorrow, Austin or Kone?

Not as our main striker but as back up definitely.

He score plenty in a shit team who, one way or another, got the ball in the box. We can't get the ball near the box, so he's just going to be running around for nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSJc22OLjwI

He has got a good touch on him, and a good finish, but if we can't get the ball close to goal, and if hes costing the rumoured 12-15m, we're shooting ourselves in the foot. That money has to go on the number 10.

If it was a choice of 2nd striker, and was between him and Naismith, I'd take Naismith. Kone just doesn't enter into the conversation. Not in a serious capacity anway...

Edited by Matt

He score plenty in a shit team who, one way or another, got the ball in the box. We can't get the ball near the box, so he's just going to be running around for nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSJc22OLjwI

He has got a good touch on him, and a good finish, but if we can't get the ball close to goal, and if hes costing the rumoured 12-15m, we're shooting ourselves in the foot. That money has to go on the number 10.

If it was a choice of 2nd striker, and was between him and Naismith, I'd take Naismith. Kone just doesn't enter into the conversation. Not in a serious capacity anway...

Interesting one this - Teddy sheringham was on the other day saying he would "snap the lad up" - he has the knack of scoring.

I actually see what he is saying, and for me sheringham was an artist at being a goalscorer without having any real outstanding attributes. For the recrod QPR created the 7th most opportunities last season so you are right from one perspective.

One thing is - Austin is very strong in the air and has great physical presence. I have been torn on this one, for £12-£15m he is worth agamble, I hope his injuries are behind him because his is a great story.

Not the sort of striker we need at all. We need a different sort of striker to Rom, and Austin and is just an older version with a lot less ability.

Less pace, but for me he is a more rounded player. He's a bit unfashionable but I have watched abit of him in the last week or so in clips here and there.

for me over Rom:-

• far better with back to goal and controlling it
  • far better in the air
  • better workrate
  • great attitude - no sulky behaviour here, the lad hasa scrapped his way to get where he is

I think in terms of finishing they are very similar - so whilst I am concerned over injuries, its lack of pace that is maybe a small concern but other than that I actually think contrary to my ealry opinion he has a lot going for him

It was Eddie Howe who spotted him too BTW.

Less pace, but for me he is a more rounded player. He's a bit unfashionable but I have watched abit of him in the last week or so in clips here and there.

for me over Rom:-

• far better with back to goal and controlling it
  • far better in the air
  • better workrate
  • great attitude - no sulky behaviour here, the lad hasa scrapped his way to get where he is

I think in terms of finishing they are very similar - so whilst I am concerned over injuries, its lack of pace that is maybe a small concern but other than that I actually think contrary to my ealry opinion he has a lot going for him

It was Eddie Howe who spotted him too BTW.

Can you compare him to Kone to, while you're at it.

Ta.

Interesting one this - Teddy sheringham was on the other day saying he would "snap the lad up" - he has the knack of scoring.

I actually see what he is saying, and for me sheringham was an artist at being a goalscorer without having any real outstanding attributes. For the recrod QPR created the 7th most opportunities last season so you are right from one perspective.

One thing is - Austin is very strong in the air and has great physical presence. I have been torn on this one, for £12-£15m he is worth agamble, I hope his injuries are behind him because his is a great story.

But this is my concern. Not doubting his ability to finish (the goal against Sunderland/Stoke/Southampton - can't remember which - is a thing of beauty), hes got a decent touch but we don't need a poacher, we need a creator, someone to get the ball from midfield and get it in box. No point in bringing in another decent finisher to hold the ball up, asking him to do something that's not his strength, we do that enough with Rom. Why get someone in to do a job he's not great at when you can spend the same kind of money and get an expert in linking up / holding up play and create chances?

I would take a gamble on this lad any day, i don't really think it's even a gamble. As discussed above would we prefer Kone playing? .......a bit fat no.

Play Koné or Naismith or pay 15m for another finisher who's expected instead to be a playmaker?

Play Koné or Naismith or pay 15m for another finisher who's expected instead to be a playmaker?

who said play maker? Austin would be a great addition to our thread bare/walking dead squad. Great cover for Rom, play 2 up with Rom - we need to have these options.

Kone like a few others are dead wood. Naismith though is more than capable of playing just behind. ( just haven't seen it for a few months ).

who said play maker? Austin would be a great addition to our thread bare/walking dead squad. Great cover for Rom, play 2 up with Rom - we need to have these options.

Kone like a few others are dead wood. Naismith though is more than capable of playing just behind. ( just haven't seen it for a few months ).

Getting mixed up, sorry!

My point is more that we wouldn't have one if we blow our budget on him. If he is better at holding the ball up, as Haf mentions, he will be playing that number 10 role and not his natural role, which I don't see the point in.

if we were talking 5-7m here, I'd not flinch. But 15m is at least half, if not all of our supposed budget!

We need a number ten regardless. We just do.

But once we have that player, I think Austin would be a great second choice. And if you're chasing the game and can get him and Rom in the box, I think it would cause plenty of problems for defenders. A bit pricey, but that's the market and QPR have a cash cow.

We need a number ten regardless. We just do.

But once we have that player, I think Austin would be a great second choice. And if you're chasing the game and can get him and Rom in the box, I think it would cause plenty of problems for defenders. A bit pricey, but that's the market and QPR have a cash cow.

If theres cash left over, then fine. But until that number 10 is in, I don't want to throw all our cash on a player.... Well, what Romey said earlier!

Getting mixed up, sorry!

My point is more that we wouldn't have one if we blow our budget on him. If he is better at holding the ball up, as Haf mentions, he will be playing that number 10 role and not his natural role, which I don't see the point in.

if we were talking 5-7m here, I'd not flinch. But 15m is at least half, if not all of our supposed budget!

I see your point but even 15 Million isn't a great deal of money for a young English striker who banged in 20 goals.

half or all our budget???? i'm opening up Kenwright-gate, where are the funds going????

I see your point but even 15 Million isn't a great deal of money for a young English striker who banged in 20 goals.

half or all our budget???? i'm opening up Kenwright-gate, where are the funds going????

I'm guessing at the money, like everyone. Some think we've got nothing, some think we've got 25-30m.

15m for a, so far, 1 season wonder is a tad expensive for me, especially as a 2nd priority...

He wouldn't be my 1st choice but there's no doubt that he's a goal scorer. We could do with another one of them. At £15m and 12months left on his contract it's way over price but personally I don't care as long as it's not at the expense of a number 10 and centre back. You can never have too many goalscorers. At the moment we have 1 - then Kone and Naismith and I'd have Austin up front over either in a heartbeat.

I actually think he and Rom could work in tandem - having a lethal striker leaves space for whoever's with them.

Can you compare him to Kone to, while you're at it.

Ta.

cost of £15m vs £6m for starters...

Don't write Kone off yet - I know he's been written off before he even kicked a ball and subsequently having a career ender weeks into his career, I guess a fair few are patting themselves on the back for a lazy and quick judgement that is actually accurate (circumstances aside).

The same few probabaly had Cleverley as a waste of a free transfer.... :huh:

Getting mixed up, sorry!

Ability to hold the ball up is not a number 10 role though Matt - its a fundamental part of being a forward. Alan Shearer can probably attribute many of his goals as a result of him being able to hold the ball up - either as a lone striker or with another player, the same for mark hughes, watch rooney do it,even Andy bloomin Carroll when fit - its simple if the player is able to do it. I watched Sheringham on premier legends the other night and it was one of his trademarks to drop off the centre half and bring others in and get on the end of the move - dwight yorke did it.

Example:-

Ball is played to striker out of midfield/attacking mid - striker is at moment the further most player, be it 20-50 yards from goal. "IF" he is adept at holding up the ball then the midfieders and wingers can commit forward - the striker lays off ball and darts into the box to get the second phase.

That is where we have been missing - i'm sorry but Rom is unable to do that well enough to give our players that confidence to get forward. Its all very well saying we don't create for him but he is actually part of that problem.

Ability to hold the ball up is not a number 10 role though Matt - its a fundamental part of being a forward. Alan Shearer can probably attribute many of his goals as a result of him being able to hold the ball up - either as a lone striker or with another player, the same for mark hughes, watch rooney do it,even Andy bloomin Carroll when fit - its simple if the player is able to do it. I watched Sheringham on premier legends the other night and it was one of his trademarks to drop off the centre half and bring others in and get on the end of the move - dwight yorke did it.

Ball is played to striker out of midfield/attacking mid - striker is at moment the further most player, be it 20-50 yards from goal. "IF" he is adept at holding up the ball then the midfieders and wingers can commit forward - the striker lays off ball and darts into the box to get the second phase.

That is where we have been missing - i'm sorry but Rom is unable to do that well enough to give our players that confidence to get forward. Its all very well saying we don't create for him but he is actually part of that problem.

I disagree entirely over what you're saying about Rom. Yes his touch could improve but 1 on 1 with a defender he is a brute, more than capable of shrugging off challenges, turning and attacking the goal. That sort of play, which I think is his main strength, is an open invitation for other players to get forward and feed off the scraps. Our problem is we never get the ball into Rom quick enough to give him a real go against just his marker, our slow player allows the defence to get behind him and the midfield pack the space in front of him.

I think Austin would have the same problem in our team, he's at his best with balls in the box from out wide. Not Martinez's game so why bother.

I disagree entirely over what you're saying about Rom. Yes his touch could improve but 1 on 1 with a defender he is a brute, more than capable of shrugging off challenges, turning and attacking the goal. That sort of play, which I think is his main strength, is an open invitation for other players to get forward and feed off the scraps. Our problem is we never get the ball into Rom quick enough to give him a real go against just his marker, our slow player allows the defence to get behind him and the midfield pack the space in front of him.

I think Austin would have the same problem in our team, he's at his best with balls in the box from out wide. Not Martinez's game so why bother.

0515c60df15372180530132b959ca2421ff99e-w

cost of £15m vs £6m for starters...

Don't write Kone off yet - I know he's been written off before he even kicked a ball and subsequently having a career ender weeks into his career, I guess a fair few are patting themselves on the back for a lazy and quick judgement that is actually accurate (circumstances aside).

The same few probabaly had Cleverley as a waste of a free transfer.... :huh:

1 goal vs 18 last season. 6m per goal or potentially 70+0k per goal, the difference is enormous. End of career vs peak of career.

I supported Koné until around February when it was clear that not only could he not score given near open goals, but he cannot control the ball or pass to one of our players. He has been very unlucky with injuries, and you have to feel for him there, but hes also had plenty of chances to prove people wrong and he hasn't.

I think this is the main point of debate between us. Forward vs Striker. You see him as a forward who needs to involve himself with all of the build up play. I agree with that definition of a forward, but believe more thats the AMCs responsibility I keep going on about and not a striker, which at the moment is what Lukaku would be classed as. I see a striker as a goalscorer, a converter whilst you want him to be a forward. I think that's why we go around in circles. You can't expect someone to be holding the ball up around the edge of the opposition centre circle and then be on the end of the ball to convert. We play too slow anyway, but also he's then not on the back 4s toes causing trouble and forcing mistakes.

I've already shown, in decent detail, that Shearers contribution at the same age was nowhere near as big to his team. There is no point in comparing a player developing vs one of the best English players of all time. I'm guessing (and will go into the same detailed comparison if you want) it's for TS. In order for Rom to get to being the same player as Shearer in his peak, he needs the following:

1. Game time

2. Team mates creating chances

3. Team mates actually supporting him

4. Improve his positioning when on the end of a hoofball

5. Improving his touch.

The latter 2 come with game time. Will he ever gets to the standards of the players in the prime you compare him with. Who knows? But he has the self belief, arrogance and determination to get there. Thats why he's such an exciting prospect. You're also comparing with strikers from 15-20 years ago. The game has evolved massively since then, so that's another thing to take into consideration.

I'd slightly disagree with you here. Turning and running he's not great, but facing goal and running he can be unstoppable. The rest I completely agree with.

The issue, as you elude to, is that our build up was so slow for most of last season and we didn't play to anyone's strengths. We started the season with 2 wingers, which crippled Coleman and Baine who are arguably our most creative players. In November, when it was clear we were shipping goals for fun, the emphesis changed to be slower in build up which took the wingers out of the game, but also put the emphesis on Rom to hold the ball up. Unfortunately, since our wingers didn't offer themselves to link up play, the FBs couldn't get forward and McCarthy and Barry sat so deep in a failing attempt to secure the back, Rom became isolated and most of the time lost the ball. Even in the few times he did win the ball, there was no one around him and he eventually tried it himself and it went to shit.

We need to start playing to peoples strengths. Last season gave experience to players trying things they don't usually do, which is fine to an extent. But it brings morale and confidence down if you're constantly failing to deliver, especially if you could be playing better if played in a different position or with a different partner ahead / along side you.

Edited by Matt