IGNORED

Charlie Austin

I will give Kone 2280 hours worth of playing time, that's 60 mins per game for the 38 league games. I know he won't play that much as he's always injured.

I really don't think he would score more than 5 goals if given the playing time. Would quite happily take a wager????

I'll take that.

1 goal vs 18 last season. 6m per goal or potentially 70+0k per goal, the difference is enormous. End of career vs peak of career.

I supported Koné until around February when it was clear that not only could he not score given near open goals, but he cannot control the ball or pass to one of our players. He has been very unlucky with injuries, and you have to feel for him there, but hes also had plenty of chances to prove people wrong and he hasn't.

I think this is the main point of debate between us. Forward vs Striker. You see him as a forward who needs to involve himself with all of the build up play. I agree with that definition of a forward, but believe more thats the AMCs responsibility I keep going on about and not a striker, which at the moment is what Lukaku would be classed as. I see a striker as a goalscorer, a converter whilst you want him to be a forward. I think that's why we go around in circles. You can't expect someone to be holding the ball up around the edge of the opposition centre circle and then be on the end of the ball to convert. We play too slow anyway, but also he's then not on the back 4s toes causing trouble and forcing mistakes.

I've already shown, in decent detail, that Shearers contribution at the same age was nowhere near as big to his team. There is no point in comparing a player developing vs one of the best English players of all time. I'm guessing (and will go into the same detailed comparison if you want) it's for TS. In order for Rom to get to being the same player as Shearer in his peak, he needs the following:

1. Game time

2. Team mates creating chances

3. Team mates actually supporting him

4. Improve his positioning when on the end of a hoofball

5. Improving his touch.

The latter 2 come with game time. Will he ever gets to the standards of the players in the prime you compare him with. Who knows? But he has the self belief, arrogance and determination to get there. Thats why he's such an exciting prospect. You're also comparing with strikers from 15-20 years ago. The game has evolved massively since then, so that's another thing to take into consideration.

I'd slightly disagree with you here. Turning and running he's not great, but facing goal and running he can be unstoppable. The rest I completely agree with.

The issue, as you elude to, is that our build up was so slow for most of last season and we didn't play to anyone's strengths. We started the season with 2 wingers, which crippled Coleman and Baine who are arguably our most creative players. In November, when it was clear we were shipping goals for fun, the emphesis changed to be slower in build up which took the wingers out of the game, but also put the emphesis on Rom to hold the ball up. Unfortunately, since our wingers didn't offer themselves to link up play, the FBs couldn't get forward and McCarthy and Barry sat so deep in a failing attempt to secure the back, Rom became isolated and most of the time lost the ball. Even in the few times he did win the ball, there was no one around him and he eventually tried it himself and it went to shit.

We need to start playing to peoples strengths. Last season gave experience to players trying things they don't usually do, which is fine to an extent. But it brings morale and confidence down if you're constantly failing to deliver, especially if you could be playing better if played in a different position or with a different partner ahead / along side you.

Short answer is shearer was 22 in his first season at Blackburn. Pretty much the definition of a striker, in every single category. I don't care what Rom was doing at 16 for anderlecht, shearer at that age looked 12 years of age. point is at 22 shearer was absolute class in every department. Not developing, he had developed.

Short answer is shearer was 22 in his first season at Blackburn. Pretty much the definition of a striker, in every single category. I don't care what Rom was doing at 16 for anderlecht, shearer at that age looked 12 years of age. point is at 22 shearer was absolute class in every department. Not developing, he had developed.

didn't get to see him, so can't argue :)

I don't care about Rom at 16 either, only in our Blue shirt. But I bet Shearer or any other in his prime would've struggled in last years squad and with last years tactics. Argue that :P

Last time Austin played against us at goodison he was shite he never done anything.

Could be wrong think it was the fa cup.

Means nothing really though does it. Lots of players have shite games regularly. He scored 20 goals last season so he knows how to score. Anything is better than Kone and Lukaku needs someone breathing down his neck.

didn't get to see him, so can't argue :)

I don't care about Rom at 16 either, only in our Blue shirt. But I bet Shearer or any other in his prime would've struggled in last years squad and with last years tactics. Argue that :P

Well from the first part of the argument shearer didn't rely on this "can't play with back to goal, needs it in front etc"

He could play back to goal, ball in front, whatever.

And yes, we would have scored a load more goals. We lacked the ability to retain it up front last year. Rom, nais, kone whatever. The ball came back too often.

Well from the first part of the argument shearer didn't rely on this "can't play with back to goal, needs it in front etc"

He could play back to goal, ball in front, whatever.

And yes, we would have scored a load more goals. We lacked the ability to retain it up front last year. Rom, nais, kone whatever. The ball came back too often.

Nail/head/spotters

Just imagine how good he could have been without the serious injuries.

He had everything pace, power, vision, and a real nasty edge to him that meant he always seemed to win the ball.

It's that edge Rom will never have. It's just not in his make up.

I was more pointing out what I think was a typo. You meant minutes, not hours. At any rate, I'll take the bet on the terms I think you meant, that is, minutes. If he doesn't get that many minutes bet is off.

Yep typo minutes meant. I will just hand over the money if he scores 6 goals. Simplest way.

He'll cost far too much money IMO. For £5m it would be a yes from me - won't happen!

You must still be living in the nineties if you think you can get an Englishman who scored that many goals in the Prem for five million. It would be hard to find anyone from any of the top leagues at that age who scored that many for five million.

You must still be living in the nineties if you think you can get an Englishman who scored that many goals in the Prem for five million. It would be hard to find anyone from any of the top leagues at that age who scored that many for five million.

Sorry I wasn't born in the 40's grandad