IGNORED

Charlie Austin

Not to take this offtopic but can someone explain the relevance of bookies and odds to me in Europe? In the U.S. gambling on sports in basically illegal in most places and the only time they are taken even remotely seriously is for score predictions. Yet in European soccer/football I've seen them published and almost respected as sources for transfers and even managerial hires.

As for a potential transfer I know absolutely nothing about this guy. But a 23 year old who has scored 20 goals in 24 appearances so far this season... it's hard to ignore.

Why's that mate?

He has a Hamstring injury apparently, but has a good goal record this season.

I've read a couple of sites lately (when we've been linked with him) and i've noted a lot of article 'comments' from fans inside and outside of Burnley, saying he's a bit of a problem in the dressing room. Thinks of himself very highly and has a relatively volatile temper. They don't question his goal scoring ability, they think he's great in that respect, the personality comments worry me though.

I'm only basing what I think on several comments, which isn't always the best indicator but if several people have noted it, it may have some legs. I don't believe in 'smoke without fire'.

Not for sale?

http://www.teamtalk.com/championship/8378966/Burnley-boss-Sean-Dyche-insists-Charlie-Austin-will-not-be-sold-in-January

According to their site, a Claret player is 18.99 biggrin.png

http://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/

The prolific striker became Eddie Howe's first recruit as Burnley manager, joining from Swindon Town in January 2011 after agreeing a deal running until June, 2014.

Two months after his arrival Austin dislocated his shoulder in training and was ruled out for the rest of the season.

The injury returned in November, 2011 to sideline him for a spell but that proved only a blip in an impressive season that saw Austin score 17 times to finish as second leading scorer behind Jay Rodriguez.

After scoring 46 times for Poole Town in the 2008/09, Austin's Football League chance came with Swindon after a trial at Bournemouth under Howe came to nothing due to the Cherries' financial problems.

Signing for the Robins in 2009, the former Reading youth player bagged 37 goals in 65 games, helping Swindon reach the League One play-off final at Wembley in 2010.

Austin's first senior hat-trick, as a substitute in a 5-1 win at Portsmouth in March, 2012, took his career tally of professional goals past 50 at a strike-rate of close to one every two games.

And following a prolific start to the 2012/13 campaign his second treble arrived in the 5-2 victory over Peterborough United at Turf Moor in September.

• 1 year later...

From todays BBC Gossip page, apparently the Scum is reporting

Everton and Hull are targeting QPR striker Charlie Austin, 24, who has scored 17 goals in the Championship this season

I haven't seen him play an awful lot but what I have seen doesn't make me think he's good enough for where we want to be. When they played us in the cup he looked every inch the bricklayer he originally was.

They rinsed Southampton for £6million with Rodriguez, so they'll be wanting at least that for him and he's only done it for one season. No from me.

That's looked like good business now... worth approaching terble that now.

I haven't seen him play an awful lot but what I have seen doesn't make me think he's good enough for where we want to be. When they played us in the cup he looked every inch the bricklayer he originally was.

not convinced by him myself, and yeah he does come across as a wide boy.

• 10 months later...

this thread is hilarious now that he's knocking in premier league goals left and right. he will be in high demand since he's english and the new FA rules with homegrown players. I just don't see it working here unless we go 442, Rom won't ride the bench and we already have Naisy and Kone without Europe, so why do we need 4 strikers?

Edited by markjazzbassist

this thread is hilarious now that he's knocking in premier league goals left and right. he will be in high demand since he's english and the new FA rules with homegrown players. I just don't see it working here unless we go 442, Rom won't ride the bench and we already have Naisy and Kone without Europe, so why do we need 4 strikers?

Simply because neither Kone or Naismith are good enough to lead the line for a prolonged period of Lukaku got injured

Simply because neither Kone or Naismith are good enough to lead the line for a prolonged period of Lukaku got injured

so we have money to throw around to hire a high priced backup? makes no sense dunc. we need a top winger (starter not backup), creative midfielder (Starter not backuP) and centre back (starter not backup).

Naisy with 6 goals is great, way better than kone.

so we have money to throw around to hire a high priced backup? makes no sense dunc. we need a top winger (starter not backup), creative midfielder (Starter not backuP) and centre back (starter not backup).

Who you dropping at Cb Mark, Stones? Because Jagielka is captain so he's going nowhere.

Who you dropping at Cb Mark, Stones? Because Jagielka is captain so he's going nowhere.

jags is 33 going on 34, he will start next year but i can see him being rotated. he's in nowhere near the shape distin was, sadly one of these days he will start losing it. might just be next season and ole coach pad ain't playing browning or gallloway so we will need a solid signing there.

jags is 33 going on 34, he will start next year but i can see him being rotated. he's in nowhere near the shape distin was, sadly one of these days he will start losing it. might just be next season and ole coach pad ain't playing browning or gallloway so we will need a solid signing there.

:lol: i'm happy putting Galloway in for league cup games against lower opposition see how he goes just not against seasoned Prem players where he could get his arse served to him on a plate and ruin the lad.

The thing about defenders and players is that there is little to no warning as to when the "legs" just go.

Distin looked super human then it just seemed his legs stopped, the same happened to Phil Neville, and Gary Neville. Once a defender slows up its game over, I think we need to look at Galloway and see where he is in terms of succession planning.

Jags is pretty quick, but he has had a cruiciate injury and I'm not sure how that will impact him in terms of longevity.

:lol: i'm happy putting Galloway in for league cup games against lower opposition see how he goes just not against seasoned Prem players where he could get his arse served to him on a plate and ruin the lad.

Stones could have had his arse served to him on a plate and been ruined but he didn't, he thrived. I'm not saying it'd be the same with Galloway by any means, but sometimes you've got to take the risk and see if they sink or swim.

Stones could have had his arse served to him on a plate and been ruined but he didn't, he thrived. I'm not saying it'd be the same with Galloway by any means, but sometimes you've got to take the risk and see if they sink or swim.

By all accounts and what my mate told me who watches a fair few under 21 games the lad looks the business. Good athlete, composed, bit of filling out to do but looks a really good player.

Be great to have a stones - galloway partnership at the back in the next couple of years, great teams are built on great centre half partnerships.

By all accounts and what my mate told me who watches a fair few under 21 games the lad looks the business. Good athlete, composed, bit of filling out to do but looks a really good player.

Be great to have a stones - galloway partnership at the back in the next couple of years, great teams are built on great centre half partnerships.

I've only watched him the once (against Sunderland) and he was played at LB then. He was terrible in that game, but as he was out of position I don't really have an opinion about him.

Of course it makes sense. Goals win games and we are over reliant on Lukaku for them.if he got a long term injury it would be season over for us

I'm not denying we need players on the positions you say but i think a decent cf is just as important