IGNORED

Southampton (Away)

Zoo

Strange one indeed. Any word on us deciding to go out and win a game? How about Mirallas, think we can pry him out of the physio room this week, would surely love to see us do something new as I fear Swansea have exposed us a bit as predictable and incapable of breaking down a determined defence.

Mind, I can't really see Southampton setting themselves out for a draw with a chairman and new gaffer keen to impress.

What say we keep the ball on the ground, work it to the by-line and play an incisive pass or two.

I think I'm done with predicting scores, but I do expect a win here.

Pochettino left Espanyol in November with them bottom of the table after taking nine points from the first thirteen games of the seasonhuh.png.

Adkins has taken eighteen points from his last thirteen games.

Just don't get itdont%20know.gif

just read about Adkins being sacked. Doesnt make any sense and goes to show how having a stable relationship between board and manager is important and rare...

Anyway, on topic. Id like to see a 3-0 win but the Saints have become a tougher team to beat. Id take 1-0 so long as we can keep another clean sheet. Clean sheets are going to get us to 4th...

Did anyone see Heitinga's strange tweet today? I'm on my phone so I can't link it but he says something like:

"Strange feeling, not playing with Everton this weekend. On my way to Finch Farm for training now"

Just sounds a bit...tentative.

Maybe I'm just being suspicious! Perhaps it's just because we are playing on Monday, I'm not so sure though.

Edited by MoyesForPM

I'm not defending the sacking of Adkins but the guy who's replaced him dosen't seem as bad as people are making out. I too thought he was a nob when I found out that Espanyol are bottom of the league and he's somehow replaced Nigel but after reading up on him it's down to his best players being poached by the giants of football that they are in the state they are, apparantly when he joined Espanyol (from Espanyol Ladies) they were in the relegation zone and in three seasons he managed to get them to be Europa League challangers (which they just failed on doing because of Athletico Madrid).

It seems that Southampton are thinking the same, survive this season and hopefully push for Europe in future years...

Their next 9 games are a nightmare. They have to play Some very big teams, mixed with the current 3 relegation candidates. I really don't see them staying up. If they go down, what better man than Adkins ? Crazy to bring a foreign manager in at the business end of the season.

Everton

United

Wigan

Man City

Newcastle

QPR

Liverpool

Chelsea

Reading

Everton - 'Reckon we will do them.

United - Can see United conceding but can't see them losing considering they are pushing for the title.

Wigan - They could win this one, but it'll be a scrappy game and could go either way.

City - Walkover.

Newcastle - Similar to Wigan IMO, they did shit against Reading but may have found form by the time they meet the Saints.

QPR - They seem to be nicking points off teams (0-0 against Spurs recently), could be a defeat.

Liverpool - Beat Norwich 5-0, defeat.

Chelsea - Defeat.

Reading - Possible victory, if Le Fondre dosen't play.

Basically, they might pick up about 6-9 points, which from 9 games isn't enough.

Looking at some match stats:

Everton have hit the bar or post on more occasions (17) than any other team in the division

• Southampton have been beaten in only two of their past 12 league games after losing eight of their first 10

• Nikica Jelavic has been caught offside more times (37) than any other player in the top flight

• Rickie Lambert has scored the most league goals (10) of any English player in the top division this campaign

• Steven Pienaar has won the most free-kicks (52) in the Premier League this season

I'm so glad ToffeeTalk isn't like that forum, I hate the fact that;

1 - The layout on there is messy as fuck.

2 - Th*s f*ck*ng sh*t. Everywhere!

3 - Fucking adverts.

4 - The members have avatars of Justin Bieber.

5 - Some members feel the need to 'make themselves noticed' by making posts in strange fonts and colours LIKE THIS!

What cunts.

Southampton legend Matt Le Tissier feels chairman Nick Cortese will face a fans' backlash over the sacking of Nigel Adkins. Adkins was replaced by Mauricio Pochettino yesterday.

Le Tissier told talkSPORT: “I don’t think the chairman down at our places has done him any favours in the way he’s gone about it and I think that there might be a little backlash to start with. “I’m not quite sure about some of the things that happen down at that football club under the leadership of down there. It’s quite bizarre really. “It’s a strange one. I feel a little bit sorry for the guy coming in [Mauricio Pochettino], to be honest with you, with the way that things have been done. “He kind of stitched himself up in his press conference saying he’d been researching the team for a few weeks. It probably hasn’t done him any favours basically telling everyone that he knew he had the job, he was just waiting for the time when Nigel got sacked, which doesn’t sound too great.”

All he needs to do now is turn up to the next game in a Portsmouth tracksuit, it looks like this is a farce before its even began.

From the official FB page...

It's said that he won't be risked on Monday, and I'll be quite glad about that. We threw him straight back in last time and he got injured again. Maybe we've actually learnt a lesson this time.

I completely agree that he shouldn't be brought back if there's any real risk of a recurrence. Once he's fit again we need to keep him that way for the rest of the season. Just seemed like it had been an awful long while since we'd heard anything about his progress. Glad to hear Moyes thinks he's nearly ready.

Looking at some match stats:

Everton have hit the bar or post on more occasions (17) than any other team in the division

• Southampton have been beaten in only two of their past 12 league games after losing eight of their first 10

• Nikica Jelavic has been caught offside more times (37) than any other player in the top flight

• Rickie Lambert has scored the most league goals (10) of any English player in the top division this campaign

• Steven Pienaar has won the most free-kicks (52) in the Premier League this season

Jelavic does my head in. Most of the time there is absolutely no need for him to be offside.

As for Nuts, if I remember rightly then he had that stat a couple of seasons ago for us didn't he? It just shows how intelligent he actually is, I absolutely love to watch him play.

I think when they said 'hit the bar the most times', it was a reference to our supporters making a dash for the nearest ale house, straight after a disappointing result or not one of Moyes better days ?

You can understand their frustrations on the whole Adkins issue as that link demonstrated. Probably as disgruntled, as plastics supporters were, when they discovered Rafael Benitez was new manager, after the firing of Di Matteo a few months back. Maybe if they kept him (Adkins) in charge, who knows where it would have ended, but that was a damn strange time to do a hiring and firing.

I'm not defending the sacking of Adkins but the guy who's replaced him dosen't seem as bad as people are making out. I too thought he was a nob when I found out that Espanyol are bottom of the league and he's somehow replaced Nigel but after reading up on him it's down to his best players being poached by the giants of football that they are in the state they are, apparantly when he joined Espanyol (from Espanyol Ladies) they were in the relegation zone and in three seasons he managed to get them to be Europa League challangers (which they just failed on doing because of Athletico Madrid).

It seems that Southampton are thinking the same, survive this season and hopefully push for Europe in future years...

Doesnt speak a word of English apparently, that will make things difficult to rally the team.

Their next 9 games are a nightmare. They have to play Some very big teams, mixed with the current 3 relegation candidates. I really don't see them staying up. If they go down, what better man than Adkins ? Crazy to bring a foreign manager in at the business end of the season.

Everton

United

Wigan

Man City

Newcastle

QPR

Liverpool

Chelsea

Reading

Surprised you included Newcastle as one of the tough games, seein a as theyre falling apart....

Doesnt speak a word of English apparently, that will make things difficult to rally the team.

Surprised you included Newcastle as one of the tough games, seein a as theyre falling apart....

Newcastle are a class side when firing Matt. A bad run of form doesn't turn a great team into a poor one. They were also part of the next nine matches. If they keep selling their players they will weaken, but I still rate them as one of the big teams in the division, and certainly from a Saints perspective. I don't remember seeing the word 'tough' anywhere in my post though ha ha.

Newcastle are a class side when firing Matt. A bad run of form doesn't turn a great team into a poor one. They were also part of the next nine matches. If they keep selling their players they will weaken, but I still rate them as one of the big teams in the division, and certainly from a Saints perspective. I don't remember seeing the word 'tough' anywhere in my post though ha ha.

indeed there was no tough mentioned, i was assuming big team meant tough game, my bad. Looking over the last 5 years, even the last 10, I wouldnt say Newcastle are a big team either, they got lucky last year by being a surprise package. In fact, looking at the last 7 years, it looks like theyre a small team that over achieved rather than a big team on a bit of a slump. Compare to Southampton though, in recent years, I can see where youre coming from.

Newcastle are a class side when firing Matt. A bad run of form doesn't turn a great team into a poor one.

Its not really a bad run of form when we're 22-23 games in and they're 2 points above the drop zone though Av. You could argue that because they had a good run of form last year that doesnt make them a "great team"

Its not really a bad run of form when we're 22-23 games in and they're 2 points above the drop zone though Av. You could argue that because they had a good run of form last year that doesnt make them a "great team"

Well, you could go from one extreme to another I guess, but a few good results and things change quickly, as we know only too well ourselves. Any side that wins the Championship, and then qualifies for Europe the following year are doing something right.

At the moment, things aren't running on all cylinders, but time will tell.

I'd also like to reiterate that my initial statement has been well and truly taken out of context, and needlessly had it's focus turned to Newcastle.

Everton

United

Wigan

Man City

Newcastle

QPR

Liverpool

Chelsea

Reading

Please take a look at that list and tell me the statement I made is exagerated or not a fair comment. Unfortunately, the small minded amongst us chose to challenge Newcastles inclusion. The fact that they are part of Southamptons next 9 games appears to be irrelevant to some.

Whether they are good or not is down to opinion.

I knew what you meant Av (makes a change :P)!

Fwiw Newcastle are still a good team. You dont get lucky to finish where they did last year and even yesterday they played some decent stuff and should have won. Their influential players are starting to come back from injury and whilst Cisse needs to find his scoring boots they arent a pushover by any means.

Going back to Soton their problem is that they are a bit soft at the back. They defend as a team ok but the individuals they have arent Prem standard (bar Clyne). However we arent breaking teams down at all either and I think a draw is written all over it.

Well, you could go from one extreme to another I guess, but a few good results and things change quickly, as we know only too well ourselves. Any side that wins the Championship, and then qualifies for Europe the following year are doing something right.

At the moment, things aren't running on all cylinders, but time will tell.

I'd also like to reiterate that my initial statement has been well and truly taken out of context, and needlessly had it's focus turned to Newcastle.

Please take a look at that list and tell me the statement I made is exagerated or not a fair comment. Unfortunately, the small minded amongst us chose to challenge Newcastles inclusion. The fact that they are part of Southamptons next 9 games appears to be irrelevant to some.

Whether they are good or not is down to opinion.

just wanted to understand why they were included in the highlighted list, along with the likes of Utd, City, Chelsea, Everton and Liverpool. nothing small minded about it at all, was a genuine question to understand your thinking.

Hands up those who can remember when Newcastle United last actually won a trophy - not many hands

Where's the spoilers icon gone incidentally, I was going to hide '1969' - but there you have it. - It's been that long

I always see them as a big club, there's not much competition in the area they are in, in that they're much bigger than Middlesbrough or Sunderland, have a quite outstanding support up there, and usually fill the ground, what is it 52,000 now, week in week out, and I don't necessarily see them as a small club, but what others think is up to them.

They've done well in the last 10 years also, with some very good players, Champions League soccer, got to one or two European semi-finals, finished 3rd, 4th and 5th in recent years, so they have done well here and there. They may not be my favorite team, far from it, but you can't ignore some of the achievements of the last decade, or going back 20 years for that matter. Not a small club for me.

When was the last time 'we' won something?

Newcastle-Ipswich-58_17802a.jpg

The way some of you slate other teams you would think we were world beaters ourselves.

And Matt, any UTD fan, or Chelsea fan, or City fan, or Liverpool fan might also ask why Everton are in that list. You aren't intelligent enough to understand my thinking, so stick with the small minded tag, as it's much more polite than what I'd like to have written.

Edit : Stroll on Southampton so we can move on from what is possibly the stupidest match thread ever.

Edited by Avinalaff

Go on Mr A, be brave and speak your mind..

That must be Hughton with the second division trophy in 2010, but didn't realize he was manager at that time ? What I mean is, thought he arrived at a more recent point in time.

I never slated them myself, gave them plaudits above all else, as I appreciate what they have done in recent years, and no Ambramovich type money or rich takeovers involved either, just got together some good players and got results for the most part, something to be applauded.

When was the last time 'we' won something?

Newcastle-Ipswich-58_17802a.jpg

The way some of you slate other teams you would think we were world beaters ourselves.

And Matt, any UTD fan, or Chelsea fan, or City fan, or Liverpool fan might also ask why Everton are in that list. You aren't intelligent enough to understand my thinking, so stick with the small minded tag, as it's much more polite than what I'd like to have written.

Edit : Stroll on Southampton so we can move on from what is possibly the stupidest match thread ever.

Isn't that the Championship trophy as Dalziel says? If so I'd rather not win that!

Isn't that the Championship trophy as Dalziel says? If so I'd rather not win that!

Didn't Dalz say "2nd Division trophy"?

But yeah, better not to win anything than that huh, especially given that they have won it twice in recent times, not to mention the Intertoto cup, but let's not allow these things to get in the way of our narcissistic dilusions of being a 'big team'.

Go tell a United employee how big we are, or perhaps tell it to Barcelona.

We're another also ran, until we win something, and no amount of clutching on to history will change that.