IGNORED

David Moyes - Any hope for Man Utd fans?

No matter what game we go into," said Howard, "the focus has not at any point this season been on the other team - it has always been about us. You have to do this 40 weeks of the year, it is nice not to come into work every day thinking 'Oh, that's looming ahead'. The manager keeps us bright and bubbly and focused on ourselves. Not always having to look over your shoulder at who is coming next is good. We work on ourselves and it's a difference."

Can this be copied and pasted on every futile "are we much better under Martinez" debate...

What is laughable is Moyes gets his team selection near right through a process of elimination of failure - then he reverts to type! He just can't evolve. Martinez got taught a lesson by Liverpool - and result aside he applied the learnings against Chelsea.

More importantly - look at this quote by RVP and see how this resonates when you see the downturn under strikers here under Moyes

"It was quite difficult because my team-mates are often in the area where I want to play," the United striker said.

"That's why I have to change my tactics. Unfortunately, they are often in my area.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/man-united-team-mates-keep-getting-my-way-claims-van-persie-14022681308#ASoYs4maPcsDERDS.99

Edited by Hafnia

:rofl:

West Brom and Fulham will both probably be looking for new managers once they're relegated to the Championship, so he won't be out of work for long.

Edited by Romey 1878

:rofl:

West Brom and Fulham will both probably be looking for new managers once they're relegated to the Championship, so he won't be out of work for long.

You sound as sympathetic as me Romey?

Careful - the old Moyes romantics will be remembering the "people's club statement", "1-0 Big Dunc header against United", "wins against Man City".

Unfortunately its the hope that kills you. I hoped that moyes would evolve when he was our manager. I mentioned somewhere that he was 80% of the way to being a world class manager, his inablilty/stubborness to address the 20% that made him mediocre was the frustration.

The glass ceiling above our heads, was the glass ceiling above Moyes head.

His inability to work with players of the likes of drenthe, VDM, kagawa, barkley, mata etc is a microcosm of his managerial traits. The best managers know how to use the talented players. Average managers prefer to use players they know what to expect from. This is what seperates the winners from the grafters.

Im hoping that Martinez gets us into the CL, does less tiki taka and learns to balance winning pretty with winning ugly. Is that going to kill me as your hopes of Moyes were?

Bit unfair using Drenthe and VDM there, 2 people who liked a drink too often is hardly the managers fault.

Im hoping that Martinez gets us into the CL, does less tiki taka and learns to balance winning pretty with winning ugly. Is that going to kill me as your hopes of Moyes were?

Bit unfair using Drenthe and VDM there, 2 people who liked a drink too often is hardly the managers fault.

I don't agree with the whole winning ugly thing. Brazil, Spain, Barcelona, Arsenal (post 1996) - won plenty and never ugly. Yes, others have won ugly, maybe Italy for example, and Chelsea's CL run was ugly as hell but successful! For more realistic examples than the teams above with their world class players, see Swansea and Wigan's cup success.

Just my personal opinion of course.

Of course you can't win ugly if you play pretty - but that doesn't mean that playing ugly will get you the win.

Take Moyes approach versus Fulham for United and Martinez approach versus Villa.

Two games where the other team grabbed a goal against the run of play. We kept calm, retained posession and belief that we could pass through Villas lines - which we did and won. United continued to lump balls into the box, got shut from the back and conceded.

If the other team doesn't have the ball they can't score.

I have seen us mix up play at times this season with long lumps from Jags to Lukaku and it just doesn't work. I watched us try and win ugly under Moyes too many times to believe that it has some form of place as a tactic.

Martinez has already stated that his style means that the players are continually working on new patterns of play - adding things to their "play book". This has been seen at Liverpool, look at the different ways they now rip through the lines.

It is work in progress and the mindset of "not our day today lads, lets get a couple of big fellas up front and hit them early" - is not going to work. We don't need to change our style of football, we need to persevere at evolving it.

Drenthe and VDM despite whatever they drank were match winners - enigmatic players who can't be "coached". The same that Moyes is now seeing with RVP, Kagawa, Mata. He just can't work with flair players - their unpredicatbility puts him out of his comfort zone.

I don't agree with the whole winning ugly thing. Brazil, Spain, Barcelona, Arsenal (post 1996) - won plenty and never ugly. Yes, others have won ugly, maybe Italy for example, and Chelsea's CL run was ugly as hell but successful! For more realistic examples than the teams above with their world class players, see Swansea and Wigan's cup success.

Just my personal opinion of course.

Some times its just necessary. Looking at the squad, we are not at the same level at the 4 you mentioned above and to get there we need investment + prize money, which will come from winning...

Im not saying that 100% ugly football is the way forward Im saying (again) there needs to be a balance 80% pretty / 20% ugly.

Some times its just necessary. Looking at the squad, we are not at the same level at the 4 you mentioned above and to get there we need investment + prize money, which will come from winning...

Im not saying that 100% ugly football is the way forward Im saying (again) there needs to be a balance 80% pretty / 20% ugly.

I do get what you're saying and I'm sure most will agree with you rather than me. But Wigan and Swansea proved it can be done, Portsmouth too as I'm sure 'Arry never went route one either. But mixing things up when it's not working is definitely something that should be done I agree, as long as overall principles on how the game should be played remain the same. I would lose respect for Roberto if he shit himself if losing at the Emirates for example, and changed to long ball tactics. But he never would I don't think. Minor changes though, yeah I agree

Winning ugly isnt about suddenly hoofing the ball forward and hoping for the best. Its when the players find a way to win despite not being at their best and we have shown that we can do that. Unfortunately we have shown that we can drop points despite being the better team too.

Tbh I think its a redundant argument because we always have a level of grit to our performances and its when we drop our standards and players lose their concentration levels that we concede goals or don't create enough opportunities.

Hypothetical - moyes gets fired. Where does he end up? West brom, west ham, newly promoted side? Newly relegated side?

ITV, BBC, Goals on sunday... Anything that adds to his considerable wealth where risk vs salary is optimum.

He blew the best gig in football at Everton, where he had convinced all and sundry that top 10 finishes on £70k a week was doing a fantastic job... Pulis just needs to land Fulham and he is laughing.

I'll give my response to my own question. I think he would end up at a lower table side or a newly promoted side. I don't see Germany because he doesn't have the youngster touch, which their league is all about homegrown players and not huge salaries. I'd say west ham if they fire big Sam, he would be great with Andy Carroll hoof ball. I think Norwich as well. Leroy fer was gonna be his Fellaini replacement anyway.

Embarrassing....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/26483800

....the journo (though I don't know the facts) appears to be asking about something Hodgson has said.

Moyes' press conferences compared to RM's are truly cringeworthy.

Very cringeworthy!

I also like the fact that he doesnt really highlight any of Cleverley's strengths, he just says that he works hard in training!