IGNORED

Tom Cleverley

Didn't the same (or very similar) thing happen to Angel DiMaria this year? Motherfuckers. Poor people. I'm glad the infant is too young to remember this nightmare when she grows up.

Here in the states, they don't waste their time with baseball bats, they enter with rifles and pistols. I guess anybody is vulnerable at anytime - bottom line.

• 2 weeks later...

I meant more playing style that results.

Our playing style wasn't too bad against Chelsea or Swansea was it?

Granted, it was terrible in our last two games but if our playing style is reliant on Tom Cleverley then it's a bit worrying!

I have no problem with us playing only one winger really, but when it's not working, as it wasn't against United, why can't we change it up with the substitution? Why do we have to persist with playing a square peg in a round hole and keep things exactly the same way that wasn't working in the first place? It's frustrating the life out of me!

Our playing style wasn't too bad against Chelsea or Swansea was it?

Granted, it was terrible in our last two games but if our playing style is reliant on Tom Cleverley then it's a bit worrying!

I have no problem with us playing only one winger really, but when it's not working, as it wasn't against United, why can't we change it up with the substitution? Why do we have to persist with playing a square peg in a round hole and keep things exactly the same way that wasn't working in the first place? It's frustrating the life out of me!

Fair enough, maybe I'm making an overstatement. The lad gives us so much workrate and actually pressurizes further up the pitch than say, Kone on the right or Barkley in the centre, which is invaluable for me. It's one of the reasons I was excited to sign him up.

Completely agree with the rest. Just remember, when Baines comes back, we're not going to see any wingers!

I'm just hoping Martinez has the balls to drop McCarthy and give Tom a go in his prefered CM spot. McCarthy has been mostly average so far this season and just hasn't developed his attacking game as I thought he would after his initial season with us. It does feel like we need to start getting some goals and assists from our CMs under Roberto.

I'm just hoping Martinez has the balls to drop McCarthy and give Tom a go in his prefered CM spot. McCarthy has been mostly average so far this season and just hasn't developed his attacking game as I thought he would after his initial season with us. It does feel like we need to start getting some goals and assists from our CMs under Roberto.

No mate, we need those centre mids so the wing backs can push on. If we drop the golden boys we'll get relegated and it will be the start of Amrmegeddon and the end of all time.

You're spot on by the way

I know what you mean, but I'm still recovering from playing 2 wingers and 2 attacking FBs at the same time. It was a mess.

Isn't that how we played in Martinez' first season? I know Pienaar isn't a winger per se, but he played in an attacking combo with Baines. It's not like he was there just to help out Baines defensively.

I don't see the problem with playing two wingers with two attacking full-backs as long as those wingers acknowledge that they also have defensive responsibilities. Deulofeu has even mentioned that Martinez has told him he needs to defend too, and I think it's something that's been noticeable in his game.

It's all good and well saying playing central midfielders and/or strikers out wide so the full-backs attack, but if you watch those players tend to drift inside so that our full-backs can't attack anyway, and their defensive help has been minimal at best!

It's negative and it's bullshit in all honesty, and it's doing my head in having to watch it. And it's doing my head in even more when we make substitutions that don't don't even change the fucking situation!

Isn't that how we played in Martinez' first season? I know Pienaar isn't a winger per se, but he played in an attacking combo with Baines. It's not like he was there just to help out Baines defensively.

I don't see the problem with playing two wingers with two attacking full-backs as long as those wingers acknowledge that they also have defensive responsibilities. Deulofeu has even mentioned that Martinez has told him he needs to defend too, and I think it's something that's been noticeable in his game.

It's all good and well saying playing central midfielders and/or strikers out wide so the full-backs attack, but if you watch those players tend to drift inside so that our full-backs can't attack anyway, and their defensive help has been minimal at best!

It's negative and it's bullshit in all honesty, and it's doing my head in having to watch it. And it's doing my head in even more when we make substitutions that don't don't even change the fucking situation!

Thats exactly the point. Players like TC can offer the same function to great space, link up with Baines, etc. Wingers tend to be more greedy which, whilst it's better for their game, negates to a large extent the attacking FB.

I only harp on about this because we've seen it fail a lot more than we've seen it work. If the wingers do actually link up play and track back, then great! But then keep your back 4 more defensive minded (ala Galloway) and stick the wingers in front of them knowing they've got someone behind them if they fuck up. It allows them the potential for their mistakes being covered, meaning they will be less cautious and try more ambitious things going forward. Plus, if you do that, you can go down to 1 holding mid and have an play the likes of TC alongside a Barkley in a 4141!

I don't care really which way, so long as we see something a lot different from what we've seen with 2 wingers and 2 attacking FBs in the past. People just took us to the cleaners.

Thats exactly the point. Players like TC can offer the same function to great space, link up with Baines, etc. Wingers tend to be more greedy which, whilst it's better for their game, negates to a large extent the attacking FB.

I only harp on about this because we've seen it fail a lot more than we've seen it work. If the wingers do actually link up play and track back, then great! But then keep your back 4 more defensive minded (ala Galloway) and stick the wingers in front of them knowing they've got someone behind them if they fuck up. It allows them the potential for their mistakes being covered, meaning they will be less cautious and try more ambitious things going forward. Plus, if you do that, you can go down to 1 holding mid and have an play the likes of TC alongside a Barkley in a 4141!

I don't care really which way, so long as we see something a lot different from what we've seen with 2 wingers and 2 attacking FBs in the past. People just took us to the cleaners.

Cleverley does seem the best option as a wide midfielder. The only time he's looked bad there was his first appearance when he didn't look like he had a clue what he was supposed to be doing.

Naismith and Kone doing the job just doesn't cut it for me though. I hear the argument that you can't have two attacking players on the same side, but I call bullshit on that. You need the two players to be able to link up in attack, which means they both need to be able to attack, so an attacking full-back with a winger is ideal for me. Especially when you consider we play with two defensive midfielders so we have next to nothing through the middle meaning we have to be good out wide.

I get the argument you're making, I really do, I just don't buy it at all. We were fluid and devastating in attack in Martinez' first season because we were solid through the middle and dangerous as hell down the wings. Now we've negated what made us a threat IMO.

Cleverley does seem the best option as a wide midfielder. The only time he's looked bad there was his first appearance when he didn't look like he had a clue what he was supposed to be doing.

Naismith and Kone doing the job just doesn't cut it for me though. I hear the argument that you can't have two attacking players on the same side, but I call bullshit on that. You need the two players to be able to link up in attack, which means they both need to be able to attack, so an attacking full-back with a winger is ideal for me. Especially when you consider we play with two defensive midfielders so we have next to nothing through the middle meaning we have to be good out wide.

I get the argument you're making, I really do, I just don't buy it at all. We were fluid and devastating in attack in Martinez' first season because we were solid through the middle and dangerous as hell down the wings. Now we've negated what made us a threat IMO.

Me neither.

Only if 1) The winger isn't greedy, actually moves to create space for the FB and links up passing 2) if he tracks back. If thats the case, I'm all for it, because as you say, it's the link up thats the most important.

Edited by Matt

Me neither.

Only if 1) The winger isn't greedy, actually moves to create space for the FB and links up passing 2) if he tracks back. If thats the case, I'm all for it, because as you say, it's the link up thats the most important.

I actually don't think the wingers being greedy is a bad thing. I actually want them to be greedy because that greediness will probably lead to more goals than it'll prevent. The problem we seem to have when we play with attacking players is that we tend to get too excited and bomb forward on both sides at the same time. What we need to learn is that say we're attacking down the left then the right side needs to sit in a bit more, and vice versa. We do that and I think it'd work just fine.

Obviously we wouldn't play that way every game, that would be suicide, but I just don't see why we can't play that way more often, or at least change to that sort of system during games if there's a need for more attacking play. We are better than a lot of teams in this league and we should treat more games like we know that.

I actually don't think the wingers being greedy is a bad thing. I actually want them to be greedy because that greediness will probably lead to more goals than it'll prevent. The problem we seem to have when we play with attacking players is that we tend to get too excited and bomb forward on both sides at the same time. What we need to learn is that say we're attacking down the left then the right side needs to sit in a bit more, and vice versa. We do that and I think it'd work just fine.

Obviously we wouldn't play that way every game, that would be suicide, but I just don't see why we can't play that way more often, or at least change to that sort of system during games if there's a need for more attacking play. We are better than a lot of teams in this league and we should treat more games like we know that.

I'd like to see us go all out attack once or twice at home against the lesser teams. Haven't seen a good drubbing in a while. Go 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 and go smash teams

I'd like to see us go all out attack once or twice at home against the lesser teams. Haven't seen a good drubbing in a while. Go 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 and go smash teams

i would too

Howard

Coleman Stones Jags Baines

Barry/Mccarthy (if he decides he's up for it this campaign)

Barkley Cleverley

Gerry Lukaku Mirallas

go for the throat go for the kill

Edited by markjazzbassist